General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Uninsured Drivers, ARGH!! - Update Police are USELESS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uninsured Drivers, ARGH!! - Update Police are USELESS!

Not having a good week this week, on our way to my nans funeral on wednesday we were passing by a t-junction off an industrial estate when a VW Caddy van pulled out on use and drove straight into the side of my Mrs car.

I swear the guy was on his mobile phone and wasn't paying attention, but never the less my Mrs car has a nice big dent in it from the front wing to the rear door. Thankfully its only wing and door damage. The sill and B pillar haven't suffered any damage.

So we got out of the car, my Mrs who was driving is in a total mess crying the other driver and I started shouting at each other getting nowhere for five min and I said, "We can stand here and shout at each other all day, I've got a funeral to go too and you probably have to be somewhere too, now lets just exchange details and go on our way and let the insurance people sort it." Which we did.

I give him our names, contact numbers, who we are insured with and the cars Reg. He gives me a bit of paper with his first name on it and a mobile which he explains is his Mrs number I asked why he hasn't given me his mobile number, the reg and insurance company. "Oh I dont have a mobile and I haven't got the insurance details its back at the depot, give me a call and we will sort it." and with that he shoots off, I called him back, but he didn't stop and got across the road. I managed to take a picture of the van and the reg number before he drove off, and its a bloody good thing I did. Its also convenient that I recon I saw him on his phone and now he says he aint got one.

So we get back after the funeral and ring the insurance and provide them with the details we do have, and just as I suspected it might, comes up uninsured on the data base But they said they will look into it further.

They called and spoke to the guy the next day who gave them works insurance, they then contacted the insurance company who then told them the policy had been canceled

So now it looks like we are going to have to take the fall on our fucking insurance

Makes me soo mad

Anyone been in a similar position? Any advice?

Last edited by MadMac; 11-11-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MadMac
Not having a good week this week, on our way to my nans funeral on wednesday we were passing by a t-junction off an industrial estate when a VW Caddy van pulled out on use and drove straight into the side of my Mrs car.

I swear the guy was on his mobile phone and wasn't paying attention, but never the less my Mrs car has a nice big dent in it from the front wing to the rear door. Thankfully its only wing and door damage. The sill and B pillar haven't suffered any damage.

So we got out of the car, my Mrs who was driving is in a total mess crying the other driver and I started shouting at each other getting nowhere for five min and I said, "We can stand here and shout at each other all day, I've got a funeral to go too and you probably have to be somewhere too, now lets just exchange details and go on our way and let the insurance people sort it." Which we did.

I give him our names, contact numbers, who we are insured with and the cars Reg. He gives me a bit of paper with his first name on it and a mobile which he explains is his Mrs number I asked why he hasn't given me his mobile number, the reg and insurance company. "Oh I dont have a mobile and I haven't got the insurance details its back at the depot, give me a call and we will sort it." and with that he shoots off, I called him back, but he didn't stop and got across the road. I managed to take a picture of the van and the reg number before he drove off, and its a bloody good thing I did. Its also convenient that I recon I saw him on his phone and now he says he aint got one.

So we get back after the funeral and ring the insurance and provide them with the details we do have, and just as I suspected it might, comes up uninsured on the data base But they said they will look into it further.

They called and spoke to the guy the next day who gave them works insurance, they then contacted the insurance company who then told them the policy had been canceled

So now it looks like we are going to have to take the fall on our fucking insurance

Makes me soo mad

Anyone been in a similar position? Any advice?
Hi fella,most INS companies these days include some sort of uninsured driver cover so you can always try that first.

I would say,from personal experience,try to appeal to the guys better nature and ask him to foot the bill for the repair and explain that if he doesnt you will take it to court to ensure that he's prosecuted for it,so that's a big fine and 6-8 points on his licence.

Take it to a reasonable bodyshop that your confident will do the job properly,even get two to three quotes and explain that it will be a cash job,not insurance as that can make a big difference to the quote,at the end of the day you just want the car repaired.

Failing that,if the guys a cock,try telling his boss,if he's a cock too,time to get the filth involved.

Out of interest,what car is it?I've just closed up my bodyshop and may have a few spares lying about if shit hits fan etc?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I'm hoping we do have cover for uninsured driver. To be honest I don't know why the insurance companies don't peruse them on our behalf, and from what I got on the day I dont recon he will stump up the cash or even speak to me.

Its only an N reg Micra mate, but the mrs was very fond of it and I dont know what the cost of a new front wing, front door, rear door and paint will cost, but its gonna be more than the cars worth so it will probably just be written off Thanks for the offer however fella.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

simple, tell him to cough up or your going to the cops. then when he does pay up, report him to cops anyway

if he doesnt pay up make his life hell by abusing his phone.

also write to dvla to get his details and address which you are entitled to do due to being in an accident then stalk him.

uninsured people are scum who need punishing.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

get his address, just follow him 4 a week , shit him up . scare him into paying
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Fcuk me dude, id grass him up , but get him to pay for the repair first
C#@TS, driving without insurance
Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just go burn his van if he has no insurance then he'll be more out of pocket the wanker!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i think this is quite simple,report him to the police then claim off your insurance.go beat him up or make his life hell.you will get a record or an injunction taken out against you...for a wing and a door!
its a pity it happened and even more so under the circumstances as if you didnt have to be somewhere im sure you would have got the police involved and he would have been nobbled there and then!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm hoping we do have cover for uninsured driver. To be honest I don't know why the insurance companies don't peruse them on our behalf, and from what I got on the day I dont recon he will stump up the cash or even speak to me.

Its only an N reg Micra mate, but the mrs was very fond of it and I dont know what the cost of a new front wing, front door, rear door and paint will cost, but its gonna be more than the cars worth so it will probably just be written off Thanks for the offer however fella.

Ahh bastard,will deffo be a write off,shame as their good little cars really.maybe better to try and get say £5-600 off him and either do a cheapish job on it or get another one and shove that one on the bay to get say £150-200 for it.......or do what warren says!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by 155lee
go beat him up or make his life hell.you will get a record or an injunction taken out against you...for a wing and a door!
its a risk worth taking IMO. remember the kind of scum who regularly drive without insurance are also not gonna stop driving when they loose license (if they had one) and a fine etc wont stop them reoffending as simply they have no respect for the law or others.

so beating them up teaches them a lesson in a language they understand. everyone understands pain.

do something bad and you get somekind of pain, then eventually you stop doing it unless your a fucking retard.

pain comes in many forms other than physical. its clear that for the underclass and criminals the justice system doesnt dish out enough pain to act as a deterrent so what else are we supposed to do?? just accept you get no justice and they will always get away with it?? fuck no. if more people took direct vigilante action against the criminals then the better things would be. also it would highlight the dissatisfaction of the public with the justice system eventually forcing the government to act.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
its a risk worth taking IMO. remember the kind of scum who regularly drive without insurance are also not gonna stop driving when they loose license (if they had one) and a fine etc wont stop them reoffending as simply they have no respect for the law or others.

so beating them up teaches them a lesson in a language they understand. everyone understands pain.

do something bad and you get somekind of pain, then eventually you stop doing it unless your a fucking retard.

pain comes in many forms other than physical. its clear that for the underclass and criminals the justice system doesnt dish out enough pain to act as a deterrent so what else are we supposed to do?? just accept you get no justice and they will always get away with it?? fuck no. if more people took direct vigilante action against the criminals then the better things would be. also it would highlight the dissatisfaction of the public with the justice system eventually forcing the government to act.
i agree with what you are saying,but if the spineless bastard recognises you while giving him a beating you would end up with a criminal record and all he has is 6 points for no insurance and prob some compensation money from your wages.
you killed your grebo flatmate with an axe yet?maybe the op could pass on the other drivers details and you could sort him out!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

You know, I wish I could do what some are saying and break his legs and get a grand out of him to get the mrs a new car, but at the end of the day, my job requires my credentials to be squeaky clean. Had a problem with an ex a few years ago accusing me of stalking her and assaulting her (although she later went down for a couple of years for wasting police time and perverting the course of justice) but even then before anything was proven I very nearly got suspended because of repetitional risk to my employer. Always the way, scum will always get away with everything and us who play by the rules get away with nothing. And I bet if I got the cops involved they will do pretty much fuck all about it as per usual whenever I have had a problem with crime involving cars.

As for the micra, apart from general maintenance and a slipping clutch it's done 20,000 miles since the Mrs bought it and it's aways started, never broke down and has been a good little runner, great little car and the Mrs is quite upset about the whole situation.

Just soo fed up with the whole situation.

Insurance company will be calling tomorrow, so hopefully they will have somebetter news.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

report it to the police, job jobbed
Old 09-10-2010, 08:46 AM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Had a problem with an ex a few years ago accusing me of stalking her and assaulting her
roflmao
Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 AM
ROADWARS
virgin only up the A hole

isnt what the mib is for when your hit by an uninsured driver ?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Right, well it turns out that no, we are not covered for an uninsured driver

So I have spoken to the bloke this morning and said the insurance company is saying you van isn't insured. He has given it the "No no no mate that's not right, I can't give you the info because its with me brother in the van at the moment but it is insured." He wanted to meet next week to sort it but to be quite honest I'm not interested because I can't get out of work and I am wary of meeting up because you just don't know what they will do?

He is going to text me the correct insurance details today, if they are rubbish again I am just going to ask for a cheque, if he isn't forthcomming with that then I am going to the cops.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4
roflmao
Seriously wasn't funny some of what he told me about it would make your hair curl Psycho bitch

Stu mate, get yourself down the nick and report him. Then get somebody else to burn the fuckers van out a few months down the line
Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right, well it turns out that no, we are not covered for an uninsured driver

So I have spoken to the bloke this morning and said the insurance company is saying you van isn't insured. He has given it the "No no no mate that's not right, I can't give you the info because its with me brother in the van at the moment but it is insured." He wanted to meet next week to sort it but to be quite honest I'm not interested because I can't get out of work and I am wary of meeting up because you just don't know what they will do?

He is going to text me the correct insurance details today, if they are rubbish again I am just going to ask for a cheque, if he isn't forthcomming with that then I am going to the cops.

Hi again mac,right then fella,it looks as though the guy is making SOME attempt to try and sort the situation,admittedly could be bullshit but as I said above,better to get something rather than nothing.

I'd tell him that you've spoken with someone you know on the force and explained the situation to him purely so far off the record and he's told you that their vehicle WILL be seized as it's uninsured and he AND his brother will receive 6 points etc and big fines each ,ok a bit of glamorisation but it should help.

There should be loads of those micras in the scrappy now due to the scrappage scheme so getting parts,possibly even the same colour shouldn't be too hard,their piss to work on as well so shouldn't be TOO bad if the shit hits the fan.

This could be another option for you,as you could get the job done a lot cheaper this way,keep the good little car as unrecorded and bill him for the repairs,if you play fair,so should he.

I was in the trade 18 months and to be fair this stuff goes on more than you think,people do daft things,it's inevitable,he could have been unlucky and had the direct debit come out on the wrong day when his account was empty or he could have got the covernote then cancelled it immediately,none of that's helping you,so best just trying to appeal to his better nature.

The problems often occur in these situations where people try to get greedy and ask for the bodyshop to "shove a bit extra on for me",the person paying somehow finds out cos people talk and it all gets messy,I know,I've been there in the middle!!!

Be honest about the quote,but maybe bend the truth a little about the consequences would be my advice.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's actually a very simple situation, keep copy of any communication that he was even there, 99% certainty plod won't do a thing.
Your insurance company have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to pursue him on your behalf, if you are fully comp then just get the car sorted, if your insurer refuses to do do anything at least to recover your excess then they can't hike your premium, ask the plod for his name and address, UNDER THE DATA PROTECTION ACT they have to give you this, ask to speak to the DATA CONTROLLER at the plod shop, as most plod don't know the data protection act at all and don't realise they are legally obligated to give you the details as you have "just cause", ask him for the money for your excess if not willing just slap him with a county court summons(£35).
My mate Kenny Rothwell had his car pranged by a lady in tesco car park in watton, norfolk, who then drove off, she was well aware she hit it, as she hit in with the front of her car, and had to then back up to get around it.
Anyway some youths saw it and clocked her number, kenny gave this to the plod, who went to see her, and could see the damage to her car matched his paintwork, she admitted it when questioned eventually, she had a provisional not accompanied no insurance, when questioned further her ability to speak english vanished and could only speak croation(where she came from), and as it turns out where her provisional was from.
Very naughty what was the charge NOTHING at all, plod said it's pointless she can't speak english, despite having done so perfectly for 2 hours prior to losing the ability and does so at work as a supervisor, with kenny's wife!!
So no insurance, no license, leaving the scene of a accident, obstructing the police and no charge, not at all unusual in Norfolk unfortunately and getting worse everywhere.
tabetha
Old 09-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

tabetha the police are under NO obligation to give you the persons details as they are not the data holders for driver records. The DVLA are the data holders and hence you need to be in contact with the DVLA or just send off the form to get his details. DVLA have the form just for such a reason.

the form you need is V888 and you have to have reasonable cause as detailed below:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_186411.pdf

i still think you should stalk his house once you know. your in a public place so it takes a lot to prove harassment in cases such as this. You can legally make peoples lives hell quite easily if you are careful!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

you will need to inform police whatever as if you have to go MIB route you need a incident reference number and you need to do it soon as they will question why its took so long.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Roosie
you will need to inform police whatever as if you have to go MIB route you need a incident reference number and you need to do it soon as they will question why its took so long.
Agreed, we found out yesterday the Van wasn't insured, spoken to him today and he says it was, if he don't get back to me by tomorrow afternoon with the info I'm going to the cops.

Thanks for the PM by the way fella, will let you know.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

send the v888 anyway. at least youll know where he lives then!!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM
dojj

mib charge you to find out someone elses insruance details
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Roosie

Originally Posted by dojj
mib charge you to find out someone elses insruance details

no they dont! only if the opponent is never found ie vehicle is not registered or police fail to find out who it was.

i can find out who last insured it and who with.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by tabetha
It's actually a very simple situation, keep copy of any communication that he was even there, 99% certainty plod won't do a thing.
Your insurance company have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to pursue him on your behalf, if you are fully comp then just get the car sorted, if your insurer refuses to do do anything at least to recover your excess then they can't hike your premium, ask the plod for his name and address, UNDER THE DATA PROTECTION ACT they have to give you this, ask to speak to the DATA CONTROLLER at the plod shop, as most plod don't know the data protection act at all and don't realise they are legally obligated to give you the details as you have "just cause", ask him for the money for your excess if not willing just slap him with a county court summons(£35).
My mate Kenny Rothwell had his car pranged by a lady in tesco car park in watton, norfolk, who then drove off, she was well aware she hit it, as she hit in with the front of her car, and had to then back up to get around it.
Anyway some youths saw it and clocked her number, kenny gave this to the plod, who went to see her, and could see the damage to her car matched his paintwork, she admitted it when questioned eventually, she had a provisional not accompanied no insurance, when questioned further her ability to speak english vanished and could only speak croation(where she came from), and as it turns out where her provisional was from.
Very naughty what was the charge NOTHING at all, plod said it's pointless she can't speak english, despite having done so perfectly for 2 hours prior to losing the ability and does so at work as a supervisor, with kenny's wife!!
So no insurance, no license, leaving the scene of a accident, obstructing the police and no charge, not at all unusual in Norfolk unfortunately and getting worse everywhere.
tabetha
tabetha, for someone who goes on about data protection acta lot you really don't understand it
Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

uninsured people are scum who need punishing.

Actually, the scum are the government and insurance companies for such a corrupt system that enourages fraudulent claim payouts and for people not to have access to affordable insurance.

Basic 3rd party cover MUST be included in fuel costs if basic legal insurance is ever to be sorted out.

Until then it will always be a complete fuck up where insurance companies rob everyone, and nearly always everyone=innocent party trying to stay covered.
And cant forget the government who enforce such a stupid policy, along with their insurance taxes.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

the system may encourage fraudulent claims amongst the criminally minded but thats it.

no one has a "right" to affordable insurance just as no one has "right" to drive. Driving is a privilege and luxury that costs money and if you cant afford to do it legally then frankly tough shit, you just get on a bus like every other poor person. harsh but the reality of the world we live in.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:36 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Roosie
no they dont! only if the opponent is never found ie vehicle is not registered or police fail to find out who it was.

i can find out who last insured it and who with.
Watchdog did a feature on it and that's what they said, so are they wrong?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:08 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

the system may encourage fraudulent claims amongst the criminally minded but thats it.

no one has a "right" to affordable insurance just as no one has "right" to drive. Driving is a privilege and luxury that costs money and if you cant afford to do it legally then frankly tough shit, you just get on a bus like every other poor person. harsh but the reality of the world we live in.

Insurance companies themselves promote fraud. And will bend over backwards to pay out to fraudulent claimants.
Yet when a truly innocent party makes a claim, its a total nightmare to get anything from them..

A friend is still trying to recoup money from his Insurance company some 2 years after they simply threw money at someone who drove head on into my friend !! Because he was the only person who claimed, they just paid out, no questions asked !! First my mate knew was when his premium had shot up. They had paid out in less than 6 months. The wanker was even driving on the wrong side of the road !!!
Although likely the lying bastard of a police report probably helped the guy. You've no idea the dirty corrupt bastards that are out there. The cunt even took off immediately from the scene, likely as he was drunk. Yet the police didnt make any effort at all to breathalise anyone.

Only one saving grace is that most of the truth did come out in court. Still hasnt helped sort the insurance aspect.

I could name plenty of similar cases too where insurance companies just throw money at fraudsters.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:32 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just found this,check his reg against it

http://www.askmid.com/
Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by 155lee
just found this,check his reg against it

http://www.askmid.com/
Just checked it and yep, it aint on the database

Still aint heard anything from him, I'm just gonna report it to the cops tomorrow when I get a moment between appointments.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:48 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what a bellend.get on it tomorrow,then get a letter sent to him demanding payment to cover repairs
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 AM
dojj

Aren't you supposed to report accidnrts within 24 hours though? My local cop shop gives you a form to fill in at home as they don't have enough time to sit there and fill it in with you so might be worth taking this option
Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

So the twat hasn't come up with the goods and the insurance company are saying the car is un-insured and un-registered

Reported it to the police and what did they do? Fuck all, only took down some basic details but they wont take it forward

I hate all of this, why is it you play by the rules and all you do is get screwed over
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the UK.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 PM
The Crocodile Hunter
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you know where this joker lives/works?

Go round there with a cordless drill and make a hole in the side walls of all his tyres. Then when he gets them replaced go and do it again.

Once you think he has paid out enough for new ones call it a day
Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Crocodile Hunter
Do you know where this joker lives/works?

Go round there with a cordless drill and make a hole in the side walls of all his tyres. Then when he gets them replaced go and do it again.

Once you think he has paid out enough for new ones call it a day
Fucking stupid idea!
What you need to do is pinprick the sidewalls on the inside then remove valve core's. He pay's to get someone out to put new core's in then 24/36 hours later his types are flat and cant be repaired. 2 birds 1 stone
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Jimboxr4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I got hit by an uninsured driver (a 19 year old pikey with no licence or insurance on a stolen motorbike) I notified my insurance company who refused to assist but did however put my premium up £180 as I'd 'been in an accident'. I wouldn't tell them if it happened again.

The motor insurance bureau (mib) should pay up in theory but will only do so if the other party admits it's his fault. The above mentioned pikey told them it was my fault and they refused to pay me out. They eventually agreed to pay when I supplied a certificate of conviction showing he had pleaded guilty at court to dangerous driving etc in relation to the accident. Worth giving them a try if the other party is likely to admit he was in the wrong.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Roosie

Originally Posted by Jimboxr4x4
When I got hit by an uninsured driver (a 19 year old pikey with no licence or insurance on a stolen motorbike) I notified my insurance company who refused to assist but did however put my premium up £180 as I'd 'been in an accident'. I wouldn't tell them if it happened again.

The motor insurance bureau (mib) should pay up in theory but will only do so if the other party admits it's his fault. The above mentioned pikey told them it was my fault and they refused to pay me out. They eventually agreed to pay when I supplied a certificate of conviction showing he had pleaded guilty at court to dangerous driving etc in relation to the accident. Worth giving them a try if the other party is likely to admit he was in the wrong.

dont matter if he admits its his fault hes not insured he has no say now. Mac will get paid out! because he is insured and other party not so the MIB pay out

Quick Reply: Uninsured Drivers, ARGH!! - Update Police are USELESS!