General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Details Of Liverpool FC Takeover Released

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010 | 11:45 PM
flipper
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

thanks ......

it sounds like its gonna get very messy !!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2010 | 08:48 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by flipper
thanks ......

it sounds like its gonna get very messy !!!!!!!
it will just be another twist in soap opera that is liverpool football club. hicks and gillette wont walk away with there heads held high, and do the 'houorable' thing, they will drag it through the dirt as much as possible. its going to get very, very, messy.

the next episode is sometime next week, when it goes to the high court, stay tuned, for the next installment lol
Old 08-10-2010 | 09:00 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Just been rading another very interesting interview Martin Broughton did today, where he talks about the uefa finacial fair play rules that come into effect in 2012

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton has aimed a swipe at Manchester City, saying his club's prospective new owners will provide a profitable future at Anfield.

The Reds have agreed in principle to sell the club to New England Sports Ventures, but co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are trying to block the deal.

The takeover battle is set to be resolved in the High Court next week with Liverpool hopeful a deal with NESV, who also own the Boston Red Sox, will be pushed through.
Broughton believes prospective new owner John Henry will provide 'rational' leadership at Liverpool and that the club will be in position for the new Uefa fair play regulations, which are set to come into effect in 2012.

"A hugely important aspect for Liverpool is [Uefa's] financial fair play rules. They come into effect pretty damn soon, and will have a massive effect on many, many clubs," Broughton said.

"Taking a rational, commercial approach to success is absolutely the right way forward, and that is what New England will do. They have demonstrated that already in their model at Boston.

Wage bill

"I couldn't help notice that Manchester City's wage bill for last year was exceeding its revenue. That is going to be very difficult under financial fair play. They might be able to sort it out before then but we were not looking for someone who was going to put us in that position.

"We were looking for somebody who was going to see this as a commercial business that can be commercially successful. That is what they have already demonstrated. They have made a profit by investing heavily in players and stadium development and they have delivered a winning team."

Broughton insists NESV's approach is the right one for the future and that funds will be made available to bolster the playing ranks.

Balance

Broughton added: "We weren't looking for an Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour, because we understand a rational commercial approach is the way forward in football now.
"New England's bid of around £300m will include £200m in equity to write down the acquisition debt, as we call it, the legacy of Hicks and Gillett, and there is £40m of cash to pay off various other liabilities.

"The balance is what we call assuming the ongoing working capital debt and the new stadium financing debt, and it means there will be no debt on the club, and Liverpool will actually be equity rich. The aim was always zero debt.

"Why? Because that will allow trading without debt, and vast profits coming available again to invest in the business instead of servicing loans. New England are fully committed to that, they are committed to investing heavily in players and infrastructure to boost future profits."
Old 08-10-2010 | 11:14 AM
bbsheppo
Regular Contributor

It just keeps getting better for the scousers:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...434088,00.html
Old 08-10-2010 | 12:06 PM
Punkie
For Sale..Apply within.

Anyone else seen man utds reported loss?
Old 08-10-2010 | 01:02 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fiddy
"I couldn't help notice that Manchester City's wage bill for last year was exceeding its revenue. That is going to be very difficult under financial fair play. They might be able to sort it out before then but we were not looking for someone who was going to put us in that position.
I know its not morally right, but our guy has the funds and enough businesses to set up daft sponsorships with the club for stupid amounts of money to cover deficits.

Also who would UEFA like runing the clubs, a guy like ours who has wholely invested for the long term and ensuring the funds are ready in full for the the terms of contracts, or guys of who are running UTD or Liverpool by re-financing on the back of the club thus throwing a club into great debt while creaming a wage themselves.
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:42 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Big G
I know its not morally right, but our guy has the funds and enough businesses to set up daft sponsorships with the club for stupid amounts of money to cover deficits.

Also who would UEFA like runing the clubs, a guy like ours who has wholely invested for the long term and ensuring the funds are ready in full for the the terms of contracts, or guys of who are running UTD or Liverpool by re-financing on the back of the club thus throwing a club into great debt while creaming a wage themselves.

i think what he is getting at G, isnt the fact that city are just throwing money around, but within a couple of years, uefa are changing the rules, and man city's turnover this year, was less than they paid in wages alone, which by 2012, will be against the rules, as clubs have to fall in with the new laws, which means, they can not live beyond there means, regardless, off how much money the chairman has, the profit has to outweigh the loss.
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:43 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Punkie
Anyone else seen man utds reported loss?
Yes, but with the state of 'my club' at the minute, i thought talking about it, would be a case of, pot, kettle, and black
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:51 PM
Punkie
For Sale..Apply within.

Yes, but with the state of 'my club' at the minute, i thought talking about it, would be a case of, pot, kettle, and black

Lack of replies from utd fans since it was reported though!

Our club will get back on track, just needs the right minds behind it.
Old 08-10-2010 | 02:57 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Is it true we will lose 9 points if we go into administration? Surely we're going down then!
Old 08-10-2010 | 03:27 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Punkie
Lack of replies from utd fans since it was reported though!

Our club will get back on track, just needs the right minds behind it.
i brought this up months ago, genuinely months, and i was told by ebonycossie4x4, that i was miles off the mark, with them being the 'mighty manchester united', there would be billionaires world wide queuing up to buy them, so there debt wouldnt be a problem. unlike the lowly liverpool. and yes, over the years, probably me, more than another liverpool fan on passionford, has wound the united fans up, but i brought up there debt situation months ago, not as a piss take, but because it was EXACTALLY what liverpool were going through, and said united may only a year or two behind us, but i was told i was just a bitter scouse twat, liverpool were fu*ked, united, being the 'mighty man united' would be fine.

now me and skeg have a history on here, and i take any opportunity to have a shot at him, but to be fair, when i brought up the united debt situation, he did, as i expected he would, jump to uniteds defence, but he was more accepting that the debt, if not sorted, could be a problem.
Old 08-10-2010 | 03:31 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Benni
Is it true we will lose 9 points if we go into administration? Surely we're going down then!
yes mate, and dont be surprised in the slightest, if gillette and hicks, drag this on as long as possible, to make SURE, we get a 9 point deduction, especially as martin broughton is selling the club from under them. if the club is not sold by october 15th, there is a very good chance, we will be deducted 9 points, which would put us on -3.

but stop talking about relegation, there are still 93 points left to play for this season, and even though our form is terrible, and we could be bottom of the league on -3 points, it will have to be a catastrophe of massive proportions, for us to get relegated.
Old 08-10-2010 | 03:34 PM
Kris_23
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by skeg
That's a sensible idea I think, Fiddy. I remember last time in 2007 loads of Liverpool fans were all over the web, TV and papers saying how their stadium's going to be bigger than Old Trafford, better and had this fantasy shopping list of players, ended up looking like fools in the end. Maybe some of your fans have learned from this!!!

Man United make a profit of around £100m per year, more than any club in the world and second on income to Madrid, they also have the biggest club worth, they don't make losses like City and Chelsea do. Those are essentially smaller clubs who were bought by rich men then got in players on crazy wages that their earnings don't cover, hence the loss.

As a club, United has always been well run. The Glaziers however......
Sorry but have you not seen United's lastest annual accounts?

Pre-tax loss of £80mn?

And you may have made a £45mn profit last year but this was primarily due to the sale of Ronaldo.

Uniteds accounts make for shocking reading, the interest rates they are paying on their debts is atrocious.

Plus the £700mn debt you have with nothing to show for it.

With UEFA's co efficiency rules coming in there is going to be tough times ahead for United fans.
Old 08-10-2010 | 03:48 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Kris_23
Sorry but have you not seen United's lastest annual accounts?

Pre-tax loss of £80mn?

And you may have made a £45mn profit last year but this was primarily due to the sale of Ronaldo.

Uniteds accounts make for shocking reading, the interest rates they are paying on their debts is atrocious.

Plus the £700mn debt you have with nothing to show for it.

With UEFA's co efficiency rules coming in there is going to be tough times ahead for United fans.
i also brought up last season, thats how far back i mentioned it, that they hadnt spent anywhere near the money on players, since, that they got from ronaldo, but i was told, again, that there 'the mighty man united' and the reason they didnt spend the money, was because they didnt need to, and the money was still there for them to buy a couple of £40m players if they needed them. i said no, its being used to pay the clubs debt, but yet again, i was 'bitter scouse twat'. i also brought up the fans protesting in the yellow and green scarves, but that must have just been for the sake of it.

as i said, i can understand, if the untied fans thought i was using it as ammo, i wont lie, over the years on here, ive used anything i could to take shots at them, but i was saying it genuinely, as liverpool, have done exactly the same over the last two years, made a lot more from selling players, than we have buying them, and look where we have ended up, a week away from being deducted 9 points for going into administration.

this is also why i brought up them losing big players like van der saar, giggs, and scholes, to retirement, and them being huge players for united, and once they do retire, united wont have the money to replace them, which will hinder them, in challenging for the premier league, and the champions league, which they HAVE to do, to be able to pay the loans against the club, just like liverpool got our loans based on us being in the top 4, and in the champions league, last season we finished 7th, and didnt qualify for the champions league, and i say it again, look where we are now.

in a way, id love to bring up there financial results that were brought up today, and shove it down there throat, the amount of shit i/we have taken as liverpool fans, but one, i know how it feels for your club to be in a very bad position due to you owing stupid amounts of money, and two, even though there arrogance of where 'the mighty man united' may have clouded there judgement, i still would feel sorry for them if, push comes to shove, they end up where we are now.

this financial thing is so much bigger than liverpool v man united, that us fans have become accustomed to, its the future of liverpool v man united actually being a football fixture anymore. football isnt a sport, its a business.
Old 08-10-2010 | 03:51 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i think what he is getting at G, isnt the fact that city are just throwing money around, but within a couple of years, uefa are changing the rules, and man city's turnover this year, was less than they paid in wages alone, which by 2012, will be against the rules, as clubs have to fall in with the new laws, which means, they can not live beyond there means, regardless, off how much money the chairman has, the profit has to outweigh the loss.
I know what your saying, but as immoral as it sounds, as an example could 1 of the owners companies not sponsor a floodlight for £1m?
Old 08-10-2010 | 03:55 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by bbsheppo

oppsss
Old 08-10-2010 | 04:01 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And a Blue, having a guy like this in charge is a dream, he knows how to make his money work
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ank-stake.html
Old 08-10-2010 | 04:05 PM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was listening to Talksport the other day and i swear they said that you wouldnt be deducted points, cant remember why now, something about it being a priveately owned club maybe, i dunno!!
Old 08-10-2010 | 04:09 PM
RickDraper
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

That is not permitted under UEFA rules.
Old 08-10-2010 | 04:14 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

infact, speaking of the whole liverpool v man united finacial thing i spoke of, taken from a different football thread recently

i said

Fuck me, thats a refreshing change, a realistic manc. i said this an another football thread, but was told by your fellow supporters, becasue your the 'mighty' man utd, there will be queing up with £700m to pay off your debt.

as i pointed out, your in the same position as liverpool, since you sold ronaldo, you havnt even spent what you got for him, infact, you have made more than you spent, just like liverpool, you have to, to pay your debt, and when the giggs, and scholes etc retire, you wont have the money to replace them, but i was just being a bitter, scouse cunt, obviously, and dont have a clue what i was talking about.

there goes that were the best thing since sliced bread arrogance again, that most of your fellow united supporters spout, that i refered to, earlier in this thread. they must think you like wearing norwich scalfs at old trafford, must like the colour or something, nothing to do with the the state the glaziers have got your club in, and how you could be in a worse position than liverpool in a few years.

its people like you, and the glazier protestors i actually feel sorry for, people like skeg and ebony, may be laughing at liverpool now, but when the boot is on the other foot, they need to remember one thing, he who laughs last, laughs longest
skeg answered

Whatever, Fiddy. Man United have won things recently and currently are high in the league and in the Champions league, whilst you finished 7th last season and are now 18th in relegation zone as well as being dumped into the Europa league again, where you were not too long ago I might add.

There is no comparison between United and Liverpool on this front, everything else is just your bullshit prophecies or mystic meg attempts. Talk about it if we finish low or are in the Uefa cup. Until then pipe down mate.
and skegs avatar

Now please skeg, ebony etc, dont take this as a 'shot', its just PROOF, that maybe what i was saying before all off this came out, wasnt 'mystic meg predections', me or a 'bitter scouse twat', but actually, may have been, true.
Old 08-10-2010 | 04:30 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

well, the first step on the road to the takeover is in place, the premier league had a meeting today to discuss the possible takeover, they do very stringent checks on the potential new owners, and the result of the meeting today is, the premier league are happy for NESV to take control of the club. also looks like the 9 point deduction could happen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Premier League have given New England Sports Ventures the go ahead to continue their proposed takeover of Liverpool.

The league made the announcement on Friday after meeting with representatives of NESV, fronted by Boston Red Sox owner John Henry.

But it will not give its full rubber-stamp on the £300 million deal as the formal completion of the takeover is yet to be resolved.

Current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are determined to fight for control at Anfield and a High Court battle on the issue is set to take place next week.

The Premier League said in a statement: "The Premier League has met with the owners and directors of New England Sports Ventures (NESV) regarding their proposed takeover of Liverpool FC and has received details, in accordance with Premier League rules, of the proposed company and ownership structure as well as the make-up of the new board.

Satisfied

"The Premier League is satisfied, with the information provided, that the individuals NESV intend to put in place in the event they complete their takeover of Liverpool FC meet the criteria set out in our owners' and directors' test.

"The board of the Premier League will continue working with Liverpool FC in regard to this process, however, we are aware that the formal completion of this takeover is yet to be resolved and it is therefore inappropriate for us to offer any further comment at this time."

If the takeover is not completed by next Friday then the Royal Bank of Scotland could put Kop Holdings, the company owned by Hicks and Gillett, into administration over their unpaid £280million debt.

If that happens, Liverpool would be at risk of a nine-point deduction.

Serious

Initially it had been thought the Premier League would not penalise the club for Kop Holdings becoming insolvent, but now the threat of a points deduction has become a serious one.

Under Premier League rules, the fact that the holding company is solely concerned with the ownership of Liverpool and football-related matters could trigger the nine-point penalty.

West Ham had been used as an example of why the Reds might escape a deduction if administration goes ahead when it was owned by Icelandic bank Straumur.

The Hammers, however, were a solvent part of a whole portfolio of different companies while Kop Holdings is solely concerned with Liverpool.

Last edited by Fiddy; 08-10-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2010 | 01:05 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by bbsheppo

Yeah because Liverpool will be the 2nd English team to break the £100m profit barrier any time soon.......with £160m cold cash in the club bank. Sure that could buy the 60,000 capacity they've dreamed of for years right there probably, not sure they'd be able to take the gates with them though for that.

Now please skeg, ebony etc, dont take this as a 'shot', its just PROOF, that maybe what i was saying before all off this came out, wasnt 'mystic meg predections', me or a 'bitter scouse twat', but actually, may have been, true.
So its proof that maybe you're right? You should be the Riddler in the next Batman film.

You said it yourself chap, Liverpool and United's situations couldn't be more contrasting. I mean no having £520mill secured on the club ain't ideal, or them having other loans, yes we'd all like a sugar daddy to buy Messi or whoever for the team out of their own pocked or even allow ALL the £100m profit to go back on the club/team, unlike the previous PLC did or the Glaziers now. But as it stands the debt is being managed, were doing well on the pitch in the years so far under them, unlike Liverpool have under their Yank counterparts, and the other side of things, IE income and profit, they're doing well with as its increasing all the time, much to their delight no doubt. Probably why they don't want to sell. We all knew a while back they'd be high costs involved with the bond issue.

The rest Fiddy, is just wishful thinking from you. No proof, no reality, just your dreams and you my son, are a daydream believer. As said, IF/WHEN it happens by all means discuss away, until then, its just a waste of time really. We're up there, you ain't. And now you're praying that the second bailout will get your there, this time.

Last edited by skeg; 11-10-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2010 | 06:31 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

But as it stands the debt is being managed, were doing well on the pitch in the years so far under them
The debt is being managed by the success the club has had, League and CL titles while the club could buy in the top top players, with the Glazers debt Fergie has had his wallet thinned and is now looking for the cheaper youthful option than the top of the class pro.
United wont fade away anytime soon, but you have big players on the wrong end of their careers and not the money or players to take up their realm.

Weve let very very lucky getting the Sheikh in, but were only doing what Blackburn, United and Chelsea have done previously is bully the market with money to go for success, and that is what were doing, we will prob spend some more obscene amounts but the owner is hellbent on creating a City legacy on and off the field,
And lets be honest, if it was your club you wouldnt turn it down would you.
Old 11-10-2010 | 07:07 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

The debt is being managed by the success the club has had, League and CL titles while the club could buy in the top top players, with the Glazers debt Fergie has had his wallet thinned and is now looking for the cheaper youthful option than the top of the class pro.
United wont fade away anytime soon, but you have big players on the wrong end of their careers and not the money or players to take up their realm.
which is EXACTALY my point. they cant afford to replace giggs, scholes, etc when they do retire, so it reduces the quality of there first 11, which reduces there chances of competing for the premiership, and champions league, which they HAVE to do, to be able to pay the debt. its not rocket science, but im past trying to explain it to them, there the 'mighty man utd', so obviosly, everything will be fine, because there not arrogant, just better
Old 11-10-2010 | 07:30 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

which is EXACTALY my point. they cant afford to replace giggs, scholes, etc when they do retire, so it reduces the quality of there first 11, which reduces there chances of competing for the premiership, and champions league, which they HAVE to do, to be able to pay the debt. its not rocket science, but im past trying to explain it to them, there the 'mighty man utd', so obviosly, everything will be fine, because there not arrogant, just better
Guy over the road is an accountant there, he says his job is 100 times harder now these guys are in,
1 year out of the late stages of the CPL will be very bad for the club,
2 years out of the late stages of the CPL will be the unthinkable, relevant of whether they win the Prem or not their future is too reliant on CPL football.
Really is a sad state of affairs.
Old 11-10-2010 | 07:43 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as usual your doing exactly what you hate us United fans for.

Comapring the two.

The last thing you should be worrying about is us, Youre far too fucked to worry about anything else but yourselves.

We will be fine as we will continue to be succesful and be one of the most supported clubs in the world... You wont as you have a shocking team with a shit stadium and terrible finances.

Lets just see what happens shall we.

Good luck coming back up from the championship...

We love you blackpool!!!!
Old 11-10-2010 | 07:51 PM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

they cant afford to replace giggs, scholes, etc when they do retire,:
Yeah after all they cost millions to buy :-P

I do understand what fiddy is saying to be fair, success is a must or debts cannot be paid,.....but with united being one of the biggest clubs in the world financially, if anyone can handle the debt, its them. They have already done a supposed "trial" and have said they are happy with the rules and will meet them comfortably. Footballs changing and youth is the future, gone are the days of just opening the chequebook, and look at the clubs youth and you will see again that the future isnt as bad as many clubs around them