General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Taxing a car with the green "New keepers" slip

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taxing a car with the green "New keepers" slip

Can you take the green slip that you get when you buy a car to the tax office and get the vehicle taxed with just that....

ie, you dont need the whole log book.......
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes fella,it's as good as the logbook.don't hand it in or send it to the Dvla,you should have already sent the big bit off.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:01 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

I've always found that it depends on the post office. Some will do it and some get anal about and say they can't do it. Best bet Is go to your local dvla office and they will do it no worries. If that's not an option then just give it a go but if the first one says no just go elsewhere.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xr2john
I've always found that it depends on the post office. Some will do it and some get anal about and say they can't do it. Best bet Is go to your local dvla office and they will do it no worries. If that's not an option then just give it a go but if the first one says no just go elsewhere.
Really?I've never had a problem.only issues come when someones taxed it before on the slip and the post office have stamped over the barcode bit,your pooped then!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:05 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think theres another form you have to fill in to say you dont have the full log book mate, but you can tax it.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done it no bother, local PO and in the local DVLA office too... never needed a further form filled out either. IIRC, you can only do it up to 30 days from the date shown on the slip though, after that they will request that the full V5 is used when buying road tax.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I've done it no bother, local PO and in the local DVLA office too... never needed a further form filled out either. IIRC, you can only do it up to 30 days from the date shown on the slip though, after that they will request that the full V5 is used when buying road tax.

Cheers,
Grant

What date?never heard of that in the hundred or so cars I've taxed.

To the op,just take it to any post office,there'll be no problems unless the barcode bits been stamped already,there's no form to fill in and very occasionally they ask you to write your details in the address bit of the green slip,although you can always use a pencil like I do and rub them out!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
paul16v
Monte 087

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never had a problem taxing a car with the green slip.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Originally Posted by vaughant
What date?never heard of that in the hundred or so cars I've taxed.
The date you put down in the 'date of sale section' on the green slip mate.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

yes always had not bother taxing the car with the green slip,even a couple of months after buying it
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The date you put down in the 'date of sale section' on the green slip mate.

Cheers,
Grant

Oh,but you'd only do that if you didn't have the full v5,as you'd have filled all that in on the big section?

Also,I'd dispute the 30 day ruling thing as it can take up to 6 weeks to recieve a logbook.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:42 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Originally Posted by vaughant
Oh,but you'd only do that if you didn't have the full v5,as you'd have filled all that in on the big section?

Also,I'd dispute the 30 day ruling thing as it can take up to 6 weeks to recieve a logbook.
Yea, but the correct process for V5 is to fill in all your details and the current owner sends it to the DVLA and you get the green slip as proof of purchase... so you don't have the rest of the V5 if its been done properly mate.

Hmmm I might have been lied to about the 30day thing cause IIRC it was the local PO that I got told that in... but, since then, I've always left the date of sale field blank just in case the car is going to require taxing and for some reason I've not got the full V5 through by then.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yea, but the correct process for V5 is to fill in all your details and the current owner sends it to the DVLA and you get the green slip as proof of purchase... so you don't have the rest of the V5 if its been done properly mate.

Hmmm I might have been lied to about the 30day thing cause IIRC it was the local PO that I got told that in... but, since then, I've always left the date of sale field blank just in case the car is going to require taxing and for some reason I've not got the full V5 through by then.

Cheers,
Grant
Yeah,bang on there mate.p/o's can be wankers,had one the other week,went to tax my apprentices car for him,I explained to him beforehand to put it in his fathers name as that was the main name on the trade policy but rather than ask me,he sorted it out with his old man,who told him to put it in my apprentices name.

Anyway,long and short of it they won't tax it as the name on the insurance dosent correspond with the name on the v5.I give them some flannel,pop to the car,tippex the details out and put it in his old mans name,time I get back in and the old bint behind the counter(different one now) runs off out tge back,gone 5 mins comes out and says yes,it's ok to use tippex on a v5,yeah,I fucking know it is!!!why not ask me first??

Next day,use exactly the same covernote at the local po to tax a random car for someone who works for him,not in his name,greenslip only and they tax the car fine?wierd eh?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Thats what the green slip is for although technically you should fill in your details on it.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
JayKay
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Hmmm I might have been lied to about the 30day thing
It's 2 months mate.