General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Storing a car/shell outside

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Dan_RS500
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Storing a car/shell outside

I need to store a shell outside for a few months. It is not 100% rust free but the corroded areas are going to be completely cut out and replaced, but this needs to be after it has sat out side. I am thinking to wrap it up well with car covers/ tarps etc. Just interested in what others have done and how well it worked?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Me personally mate I would want to wrap it all up in covers and tarps. One decent car cover will be fine but what I would do is spray it all with old engine oil as that will repel the moisture And atleast give it a fighting chance.
If you just wrap it up all the covers will hold all the moisture and you will find a bit more rust than was their before. Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Dan_RS500
Regular Contributor

Aye yeah see what you're saying, not so keen to be covering it in engine oil though as it would contain metal fragments.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the car is already on the way rust-wise... storing it outside during a british winter is going to do it no favors at all and you'll peel away the covers in a few months time to find the bits that needed cut out have disappeared and left behind other bits which need to be cut out IMO.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Dan_RS500
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by RS Grant
If the car is already on the way rust-wise... storing it outside during a british winter is going to do it no favors at all and you'll peel away the covers in a few months time to find the bits that needed cut out have disappeared and left behind other bits which need to be cut out IMO.

Cheers,
Grant
Yes I know, Im not happy about it really. Got pressure on though to do 2 other jobs before I can get into this one and my garage is only so big. Both will bring in good money that will help me with this shell. I have been thinking about buying/building a small wooden shed for it too.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

The old engine oil would contain minimal contaminents but at the end of the day it will do it the world of good trust me. It's an old trick I learnt from an old school mechanic and it does work.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any sort of oil would be fine,buy a gallon of cheap 20/50,should do a few cars with that.I'd suggest if there's any sort of vegetation beneath it,weeds,grass etc clear all that first.

I left my saph cos on my drive and it was pretty solid but 2 years later and plenty of Japanese knotweed later and my welders never been so busy!!