General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

breather set ups?

Search this Thread

Old 27-09-2010, 09:37 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default breather set ups?

what exactly is needed? where from, and how much?
the car is currently circa 300 bhp, 2wd, greens, 3bar, 4wd cooler. But i will probably look at going t34, 500 style cooler etc over winter.
so i take it an uprated breather is needed? will it reduce oil consumption much?
does anyone do an off the shelf, plug and play type kit? got one for sale second hand?
cheers.
Old 27-09-2010, 09:41 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it all depends on what you want to spend

GGR do a good set up

thiers wil breath from bothsides of the engine ...another one will return to the sump below oil level ...and another one will vent to air

for the power your aming this will be good enough and good for 500+
Old 27-09-2010, 10:05 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've seen some breather setups that dont seam to vent to atmosphere or the intake and just return to sump which seams madness to me as without a vent surely the engine will just pressurise????

personally for my focus as its only 2l n/a i got a cheap 1l catch tank that was unbaffled and only had 2 ports, made my own baffle (to increase inner surface area to aid oil condensation therefore removing the oil vapour) , connected cam cover to one port, crank case to the other (removing the pcv valve as venting to atmosphere. actually i removed the guts of the valve to use the case as a connector) and the other side of the baffle drilled a hole in the top to accept a pipe connector and breather filter. i could have it return to sump if i wanted but dont want to faff with that so i'm keeping my eye on the site tube. this setup works perfectly for me and has cured my slightly eratic idle that was caused by the fucked pcv valve that loads of people seem to overlook with idle problems.

graham, i'd try a setup like that but use a big breather filter with a large diameter inlet otherwise it could possibly pressurise the engine to some extent if it cant evacuate the excess pressure fast enough. however, on a cossy i'd buy a better catch tank.

oh and i figured out how i was gonna do mine from burton powers little description about breather systems, http://burtonpower.co.uk/technical_1...er_system.aspx

hope this helps mate and enjoy the cossy...i'm soooo fucking jealous!!
Old 28-09-2010, 01:02 PM
saffsta
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got Spec-R, very good bit of kit
Old 28-09-2010, 03:53 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by marco polo
it all depends on what you want to spend

GGR do a good set up

thiers wil breath from bothsides of the engine ...another one will return to the sump below oil level ...and another one will vent to air

for the power your aming this will be good enough and good for 500+
sounds good, any links? i cant find it on their site?
money wise, as little as possible lol.

Phil, should of thought to ask you, remember you showing me your setup at fordfair, will have a read of the burton writeup in a min, i did read stus technical artical on the MSD site last night.
Old 28-09-2010, 04:20 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

i've not sean stu's will have a look at that myself.

my setup isnt beefy enough for a turbo'd motor unfortunately as the breather filter is too small and the gutted pcv valve acts as a restrictor but for my engine it works brilliantly.

if i were to do it again on another car i'd remove the oil seperator thingy thats on the front of my block and replace it with a tube and baffled plate and make my own baffled catch tank (from stainless so i can weld it easily), would be the cheapest way of doing it i recon.
Old 29-09-2010, 05:27 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Can make a complete kit for around Ł30.
You can use anything as a receiver of the pressure, vent the top of this to atmosphere, and the lowest point as the return, fill the canister/receiver with SCRUB BUDS, these are SS but packed well in there have a huge surface area to allow oil mist to get caught up and drop down to the return pipe.
The canister/receiver can be anything you want a box a tube etc and weld on the pipe stubs, can even leave something with a removable lid so you can clean it out if wanted.
Look on www.ratsport.co.uk for some good cheap bits as well.
tabetha
Old 30-09-2010, 12:03 AM
ASHCOSSIE
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

are the baileys ones any good, sure mine has a pipe to the top of the seperator from the rocker cover, another one from mid way down that goes to the plug u remove under exhaust manifold, and a large pipe that runs out the bottom that gos under the car?
Old 30-09-2010, 07:52 AM
space hoppers
Advanced PassionFord User

spec r do a very good fast road kit which does all that you need give them a call they will help you with your needs
Old 30-09-2010, 08:28 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

one which vents to air or to a catch tank will be best as hot oil gives off condensation so u dont wont that left inside your engine