General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Thinking about getting a skyline,around 5k?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a skyline,around 5k?

Hi all,I`m coming towards the end of my saph cos build/refurb and much as I`d love to keep the car,sadly the money their pulling at the moment is just ridiculous,I`d guess about 6-7k for my ebony 4x4 with history,fresh paint,leather,spares,AIRCON,nice wheels,new ticket etc.

I could do with the cash right now to finish off my house etc but as i`ve got another few cars to sell and as I`ve always fancied a skyline,I`m wondering what peoples views are on them?

As you can see from my budget its GT-S territory really,I`m fancying an R33 shape GT-R look a like job,bout 300bhp with some nice wheels etc although I have seen a few r32 GT-R`s for that money which I like also.

I can sort any body/mechanical issues myself as i`ve been in the trade for a while now,but I`d just like to know what are the main problems with them,what models best to go for up to and around 5k?

From memory theres loads of tuning bits available,but would it be hard to get hold of gtr bumpers etc if I found a mint boggo one?

Any help much appreciated,cheers in advance,Vaughan.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

they are fucking awesome for the money and quite honestly a pleasure to own ! Goes without saying you either need to buy a unmolested one or one that has a credible tuner back ground as they can crack the lans on the pistons if tuned badly ! mine is 430 bhp and i abuse the crap out of it and it just smiles and wants more ! The gtst isn't plagued with the gtr stuff of spinning bearing and wearing cams out for a living also the 2.5 produces more tourque per horse porwer to the 2.6 .I have gone a bit mad with mine tho lol https://passionford.com/forum/restor...-stripped.html

imo 4k will buy you a good 400bhp well modded one and if your up in hampshire sometime soon you can drive mine although not a typical road car lol
Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

just to add you can get apexi power fc ecu or a link g4 ecu that plugs into the srandard loom big injectors are around £600 you can run a early gtr r32 clutch which will handle over 400 bhp there under £200 , the average jap suspension is fucking crap ive just removed a set of 2k cusco coilovers and got warren from gaz to make me a set and valve them to the balance of the car and it handles brilliant ! plugs are around £50 a set oil i always use fucas 10/50 erm if you dont like giving shell a good percentage of your wages if you have a heavy right foot dont buy one
Old 11-09-2010, 09:31 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks jay,some top advice there,it looks like one of them for me.yours looks stunning btw,love that colour.

A guy where I used to work had a stunning one in a dark purple,almost black colour,r33 shape and I've fancied one since.didn't know you could get 400bhp ones for that money?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

here is a average one for the price mate

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-nissan-sk...item3360c048d1
Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM
MrBroadside
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Mates got an R32 GTR christ it goes some, always fancied one but never took the plunge, like the look of the r32, are they expensive to tune
Jay?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

gtr's need oil system mods as they will spin 5th and 6 th bearings and like above cams ect to ! gtr clutches to take big horse power are stupidly priced but 600bhp 430lb is very achievable on a stock engine and ruining gear a pair of gt28's injectors big cooler ect you are well into the 500s
Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jay_
here is a average one for the price mate

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-nissan-sk...item3360c048d1

Christ,that's big power for the money.just had a look on pistonheads now and there's hundreds for about 4-5 k.thanks again mate!!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

i have a gtr r33 vspec which suffered all the faults ive listed ! i have just acquired another engine to put in a sell it

Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by vaughant
Christ,that's big power for the money.just had a look on pistonheads now and there's hundreds for about 4-5 k.thanks again mate!!
remember its a buyer's market haggle well lol
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

a while back i posted about my mates GTS-T

got a few track passes for japfest at combe and he let me do the first session. i wasnt really giving it shit but after about 6 laps a bit plume of white smoke appeared so i limped to the pits. an hour later it wouldnt start and was towed home.

i went round a few days later to compression check. 4 out of 6 cylinders had zero comp, so pulled the motor out and stripped it. 4 out of 6 pistons have cracked the ring lands!

turns out he had fitted a dtage 3 turbo, and welding tip inline with the actuator to up the boost, but had not had the map ammened to cope with the increased boost!

tosspeice!

anyway, its now back on form and making just shy of 400bhp at standard boost!

if i had the cash, i think i genuinly would own one! awesomly capable engines, and pretty cool cars
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

also after about 4-5 laps of combe id cooked the standard brakes as they are not up to much on track
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fudgey
a while back i posted about my mates GTS-T

got a few track passes for japfest at combe and he let me do the first session. i wasnt really giving it shit but after about 6 laps a bit plume of white smoke appeared so i limped to the pits. an hour later it wouldnt start and was towed home.

i went round a few days later to compression check. 4 out of 6 cylinders had zero comp, so pulled the motor out and stripped it. 4 out of 6 pistons have cracked the ring lands!

turns out he had fitted a dtage 3 turbo, and welding tip inline with the actuator to up the boost, but had not had the map ammened to cope with the increased boost!

tosspeice!

anyway, its now back on form and making just shy of 400bhp at standard boost!

if i had the cash, i think i genuinly would own one! awesomly capable engines, and pretty cool cars
LOL there great cars just buy one that looks like a saxo owners wet dream lol
Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

jay, if he had actually told me what he had done to it, i would have probably not of got track passes!

it was a mate who told me a few months later what he had done, as up until that point i was to blame for his engine failure!

he was told to get to fuck with any moneis owed, i helped him get a deal on some wiseco pistons and helped with the rebuild and install, and told him to stop being a silly cunt and get the map checked, which he finally did.

so all is well at the mo lol
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fudgey
jay, if he had actually told me what he had done to it, i would have probably not of got track passes!

it was a mate who told me a few months later what he had done, as up until that point i was to blame for his engine failure!

he was told to get to fuck with any moneis owed, i helped him get a deal on some wiseco pistons and helped with the rebuild and install, and told him to stop being a silly cunt and get the map checked, which he finally did.

so all is well at the mo lol
lol well all the time you had at ff how many cars were treted like that lol ! this just shows it aint just cossie owners that do it

as far as the brakes they are a bit tosh so either a gtr set or ive tried and tested ebc discs and 1155 mintex pads and never had a issue
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

lol, i even fucked a group a rally car... fiesta st, LHD, only one in europe or something lol

performance ford managed to fuck a driveshaft, a week later i killed the motor on track at silerstone...

cam pulley slipped according to steve scott... ford didnt use keyways on the st to save 5p per keyway.... 10p per engine...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_

now that is a good looking car, what would one like that be worth?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i,d like a 32gtr dark grey
Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm tempted to go up the unit today and start putting the Cossie back together!!!!ditto the gtr,I think starting about 8k?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Jap cars never go wrong. I dont mind the look of the skylines but jap cars dont do anything for me. I wouldnt mint an evo 8 though.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 AM
12_Second_rst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

how much you want for that r33 gtr jay as it stands
Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Jap cars never go wrong. I dont mind the look of the skylines but jap cars dont do anything for me. I wouldnt mint an evo 8 though.
I can see where your coming from in that respect,I had a Cossie in 99,2wd,moonstone,phase 1 leather,was a great car and good fun to drive and I think that's why I bought the 4x4 as it brought back great memories.

They may not have quite the same emotions as the cossies but they're good motors and real fun to drive and at the moment it just seems a good time to cash in on the Cossie as their going for stupid money......otherwise I'll just end up spending millions on it and weld it up every year knowing my luck!!!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:59 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Now,looking at your two cars it seems that the only real difference in looks is the front bumper?which I really like on the gtr.

I've seen this one on eBay and that's the look I'd like to get,but on a gte as I'm poor!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Skyline...#ht_1545wt_937
Old 12-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by gingeRS
now that is a good looking car, what would one like that be worth?
i will want 8k for this im the second owner its a uk car and will have a 30.000 mile engine in it this week

I'm tempted to go up the unit today and start putting the Cossie back together!!!!ditto the gtr,I think starting about 8k?
you can get untidy high mileage for as little as 6 k

Originally Posted by 12_Second_rst
how much you want for that r33 gtr jay as it stands
well i would of let it go for 4.5k last week but its just had £3200 thrown at it

Now,looking at your two cars it seems that the only real difference in looks is the front bumper?which I really like on the gtr.

you can get alsorts of bumpers for them a like the 400r bumper myself

I've seen this one on eBay and that's the look I'd like to get,but on a gte as I'm poor!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Skyline...#ht_1545wt_937
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if i was in the market for a motor i'd have that black one off your hands jay

but i'm not so i won't

looks like they are becoming proper bargains now so do you see a time when their prices will start to creep up again jay?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 PM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj

but i'm not so i won't

looks like they are becoming proper bargains now so do you see a time when their prices will start to creep up again jay?
Think its midnight purple, had one identical to that one was a v-spec
Old 12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by dojj

but i'm not so i won't

as above dojj its midnight purple ! there coming back up now mate as they fell badly as everyone was importing them then the resession hit so they all got sold off cheap
Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I can see where your coming from in that respect,I had a Cossie in 99,2wd,moonstone,phase 1 leather,was a great car and good fun to drive and I think that's why I bought the 4x4 as it brought back great memories.

They may not have quite the same emotions as the cossies but they're good motors and real fun to drive and at the moment it just seems a good time to cash in on the Cossie as their going for stupid money......otherwise I'll just end up spending millions on it and weld it up every year knowing my luck!!!!!
I would say sell yours and get a minty mint cossie. Then again they go for good money. Will a skyline not be rotten since blot of them are imports and havent been treated/wax oiled underneath.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would say sell yours and get a minty mint cossie. Then again they go for good money. Will a skyline not be rotten since blot of them are imports and havent been treated/wax oiled underneath.
Too much money for a mint one and due to their age they will all need welding eventually,mines been welded now and tbh I doubt it`ll go again for a few years but the main body is totally mint now,ive done inside the doors etc,inside the boot,treated all rust so it`s going to be a good buy for someone,if I worked it out with stripdown etc I`d guess its a 2-2.5k paintjob labour only!!!!

Never seen a rusty import TBH as the climate is so good out there,I never undersealed my impreza and there were no rust issues whatsoever. A lot of import dealers undersealed them when they came in off the boat.The only ones I know of that are rust buckets are the 300zx and thats sill,rear inner arch that goes on them,apparently its worse on the UK models!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM
robrs2
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Had some fun with my GTSt. I'm a RWD fan so no GTR for me.
Had mine for about 5 years with no problems. Watch out for the poorly modded ones. Poor fuel consumption and under boost missfires are a common tell tail.
Sadly mine is going due to a family on the way.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by robrs2
Had some fun with my GTSt. I'm a RWD fan so no GTR for me.
Had mine for about 5 years with no problems. Watch out for the poorly modded ones. Poor fuel consumption and under boost missfires are a common tell tail.
Sadly mine is going due to a family on the way.

That looks awesome,I'm assuming that's a gtr front bumper,like the wheels and colour too.how soon you looking to sell?be a month or so for me??
Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by graham c
i,d like a 32gtr dark grey
something like mine then

op

has cost £10k all in including purchase price and thats a new built tr racing engine running 580 bhp.

i can see no reason in getting a gtst they cannot put the power down like a gtr, and if you do fancy rwd its just the flick of a switch in a 32

i wonder why the gtrs were used and won in touring cars instead of the gtst lol

seriously though i was a cossie man for a few years and pound for pound a gtr is honestly in a different league imo.

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 12-09-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
something like mine then

op

has cost £10k all in including purchase price and thats a new built tr racing engine running 580 bhp.

i can see no reason in getting a gtst they cannot put the power down like a gtr, and if you do fancy rwd its just the flick of a switch in a 32

seriously though i was a cossie man for a few years and pound for pound a gtr is honestly in a different league imo.

That looks hard as fuck!!!!
Old 13-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Too much money for a mint one and due to their age they will all need welding eventually,mines been welded now and tbh I doubt it`ll go again for a few years but the main body is totally mint now,ive done inside the doors etc,inside the boot,treated all rust so it`s going to be a good buy for someone,if I worked it out with stripdown etc I`d guess its a 2-2.5k paintjob labour only!!!!

Never seen a rusty import TBH as the climate is so good out there,I never undersealed my impreza and there were no rust issues whatsoever. A lot of import dealers undersealed them when they came in off the boat.The only ones I know of that are rust buckets are the 300zx and thats sill,rear inner arch that goes on them,apparently its worse on the UK models!!!
2/2.5 k paint job bloody hell. I got mine done for 1200 and that was withne rear arches. The wifes uncle had a FTO. He said it was really rotton and that was an import.
Old 13-09-2010, 07:39 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

2/2.5 k paint job bloody hell. I got mine done for 1200 and that was withne rear arches. The wifes uncle had a FTO. He said it was really rotton and that was an import.
Tbh mate it only actually cost about £300 but that would have been the charge to the public,not that anyone actually pays that!!!time we stripped three doors down and edged them up,arches,sunroof,de locked the boot,removed the side trims,sorted loads of dings,rustproofed,etc etc I make it a good two weeks near enough constant with rebuild,polishing,cleaning etc.that would include a refurb of my oz superleggerras as well but they were quite mint!!!

1200 to do outside plus arches is a fair price,you did well on that.mine is metallic though so a bit more work/cost but not extreme.

I'll keep an eye on the rot situation then,never seen one myself but that dosent mean their not out there.

One thing I will say about imports is a lot of the japs aren't fussy about paintmatches are they!!I've seen loads of poorly repaired cars coming in,and their total bitches to match too!!!!
Old 13-09-2010, 10:23 AM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've found myself looking at the Evo 6 Tommi Makinnen editions atm..... under £10k now and the only Evo I've ever wanted

Steve
Old 13-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveB
I've found myself looking at the Evo 6 Tommi Makinnen editions atm..... under £10k now and the only Evo I've ever wanted

Steve

I also looked recently at TME's as they were on my dream car list. However driving one and being in it was such a let down. These cars feel all of their 10-11 years of age now!

I bought an Evo8 in the end and it's MILES better.

People think that Jap is the future, modern etc. I believe the cossies have aged VERY well compared with how these cars will be in another 10 years.
Old 13-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer

i thought the same until driving both and working on them as u see i have a gtr now which i honestly thought would do me for a road car as imo the gtst makes a better track car for me but the gtr is heavey feels unresponsive to my gtst so its a gona as soon as the lump is in and ill be in a manaro or a m5
Old 13-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lambchop

People think that Jap is the future, modern etc. I believe the cossies have aged VERY well compared with how these cars will be in another 10 years.

as shity as what cossie's are now i expect chop

a joke By the way to the pf lynch mob

Last edited by Jay,; 13-09-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 13-09-2010, 05:41 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

...the Cossie as their going for stupid money...!
I think you should test your theory mate - go and get 7k for it, and tell us when you have succeeded!

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a skyline,around 5k?