General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

my dog attacked another dog that was off the lead

Search this Thread

Old 15-08-2010, 09:41 PM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to support whats already been said, if the other dog had been under the owners control it would have never happened. I know of several cases where the court has issued a destruction order because the owner wouldnt keep the dog on a leed.

Just to add that Jack Russels as a bread arent nasty or viscious, they are like any other pet, exactly what the owner makes them !
Old 15-08-2010, 09:45 PM
RUSSELLB1904
Too many projects........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple your dog was on the lead, his was not so not your fault.

I get the same problem all the time. I have 5 staffies, mam, dad and three sons and they never come off the lead as basically there are too many people who can't control there dogs and i always have problems with dogs off the lead coming up to mine when i'm walking them.

Had an incident the other day with a dog of the lead and mine basically doubled up against the other dog which ran off in the end but then the owner came over and said control my dogs..... WTF just told him to foook off and get a grip of his own dog....
Old 15-08-2010, 09:48 PM
uruk hai

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldnt hesitate to report a dog that was out of control but sadly when these matters get into court its almost always the dog that suffers and the owner's leave in tears and full of regret, fooking idiots.
Old 15-08-2010, 10:30 PM
RigPig
Advanced PassionFord User

If the other dog was not under control, then that dog owner is in the wrong, tell him to do one.

Last edited by RigPig; 15-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 15-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by bateyovhebburn
Sounds like a proper cock, tell him to do one and keep his dog on a lead as it was out of control.
It couldve killed someones cat that was shiting on the neighbours garden

Originally Posted by studabear
ebt's rule, I've got 1 asleep next to me now
very nice

Originally Posted by Rick Astley
What an excellent excuse to post a picture of my EBT - Buddy

That is one of his sluts Emma sat next to him. She loves the cock.

Nice dog though

Originally Posted by Escy
I think they should both be put down....
Old 16-08-2010, 05:58 AM
daveybgtt
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

We used to have a jack russel that was a right menace, always going for bigger dogs, so yeah, tell em to fuck off. Also, tell them to invest in pet insurance.
Old 16-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conor.rst
I fucking hate it when people let there dogs off the lead, i own a husky and i lovehim to bits but i know that i dont have 100% complete controll over him so he NEVER comes off the lead in public. there had been a few occations where a dog that has been off the lead has gone for my dog and the owner has had no contoll and i would have no problem booting the fucker the face if it came down to it. KEEP YOUR DOGS ON THE LEAD.

at the end ofthe day its not your faul so send the bill back to them
same here.my two dont come off their leads.huskies are a difficult breed to control full stop,too much wolf in them.the want to roam and hunt is very strong in them. ive had dog attack both of ours and the little girl is very timid,now she is scared when people or dogs approach(until she knows them) but avalanche is overprotective of her from the off.some dogs he is fine with but any chesty dogs he will want to ruck with if they start to bark or growl(he will stare only until they go toward or bark or growl)
i hate it when dogs come running up as it is very difficult to control 2 adult huskies but i do.if the other dog gets bitten i dont see it as mine or my dogs fault.as mine are attached to me
Old 16-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Their dog should have been on a lead, if its going to go around acting agressive off the lead then its likely to get hurt, not your fault IMHO
Old 16-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would say it's the other owner's fault myself, but if I'm totally honest, if I had a fairly powerful dog like a staffy I wouldnt' be using one of those extendable leads as I just don't think they give the owner the same degree of control as a "proper" one does.
Old 16-08-2010, 08:49 AM
neil1980
Virgin

Originally Posted by shep
i have a staffy 8 months old i was walking him a few days ago on the lead it is a 6metre extenderble one and a jack russel came out of no where off the lead straight up to my dog showing his teeth and snapping at him before i knew it my dog had got hold of it and latched on to his back making quiet a mess i seperated them as the jack russel owners came round the corner shouting at me saying my dog was viscous and now they have posted a vet bill through my letter box for Ł223 surely they are in the wrong not me as it was off the lead what should i do?

the jack russel is fine as ive seen it as they live accross the road
All dogs should be on a lead buddy so fook him tell him wot id say fook off before the dog attacks you ya sausage
Old 16-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Kevin_Mc

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

have to agree with the majority, you weren't in the wrong.

i've had to volley a dog when it was off the lead and came over to attack my girlfriend's dog (which i was walking on a lead)
Old 16-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Markb_s1
I would say it's the other owner's fault myself, but if I'm totally honest, if I had a fairly powerful dog like a staffy I wouldnt' be using one of those extendable leads as I just don't think they give the owner the same degree of control as a "proper" one does.
I hadnt noticed he said it was a 6 metre long extendable lead, TBH thats not really much better than being off the lead.

So pretty much a case of both owners similarly at fault in that sense.

Still certainly not the sole fault of the OP though that an off the lead dog came and attacked his dog and then came off worse when his dog defended itself.
Old 16-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Isaac.Hunt

Jack Russels can often be very much like some short men, will attack as a first port of call with a bigger one. I've had them myself and although a lovely natured breed to people, they are very instinctive and not too bright (compared to collies, for example). I would never trust a jack russel to run loose off my own property as they just do not have the same obedience that some breeds do. They totally 'black out' when in attack mode.

The fact it was injured by an attack is the fault of any owner who did not have full control of their dog.

If your dog was on an extendable lead so far from you that it was able to fight with another dog then that is a problem for you. If it was not and was close to you under your full control, then it was not your fault.

Keep your dog on a lead and close to you, muzzle it if needs be for public walking. It may not be 'fair' but with a breed like that they will always 'seem' the agressive one.
Old 16-08-2010, 03:27 PM
baz4077
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i have a staff great breed people make them nastey mine has been attacked by a jr and 3 other dogs and never retaliated tell the jr owner to f off as he could not controll his dog and u cant tar every staff with the same brush mines a right tart and he is beast best part of 4 stone a little over weight
Old 16-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Isaac.Hunt
Jack Russels can often be very much like some short men, will attack as a first port of call with a bigger one. I've had them myself and although a lovely natured breed to people, they are very instinctive and not too bright (compared to collies, for example). I would never trust a jack russel to run loose off my own property as they just do not have the same obedience that some breeds do. They totally 'black out' when in attack mode.

The fact it was injured by an attack is the fault of any owner who did not have full control of their dog.

If your dog was on an extendable lead so far from you that it was able to fight with another dog then that is a problem for you. If it was not and was close to you under your full control, then it was not your fault.

Keep your dog on a lead and close to you, muzzle it if needs be for public walking. It may not be 'fair' but with a breed like that they will always 'seem' the agressive one.

mine are always on extendables and are far more powerful than a staff but.if i see other dogs i rein them in.if this jack russell has come up to them off lead it makes no difference if he had the chance to get it back or not. russell owners fault imo.
Old 16-08-2010, 08:32 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said....Your dog on the lead and in FULL control by yourself...

Jack Russell....off the lead and in NO CONTROL from the owner...

Tell them to fuck off.....
Old 16-08-2010, 09:05 PM
gazdon
wheeler dealer

i own a staffy and keep him on a lead the only time he is off is when its open space and i can see whats around but what really pisses me off and fucking gets to me is pepole who keep there dogs off the lead near me with my jake.
Old 17-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Been here, done this guys, my staffy was attacked by a pack of three dogs off the lead AFTER I shouted a warning to the two female owners that they should keep their dogs away as mine isn't friendly.

They smiled at me and giggled to each other, still don't know what they said, but something derogatory about staffies or their owners no doubt, anyway, they all came yapping round us and nipping at mine when and my dog grabbed one and proceeded to try and remove its head with vicious shaking... the other two dogs were snapping and barking etc but keeping their distance... what does owner do?

Kicks my dog hard!! So I shoved her to the ground and made it clear if she touches my dog again she would really regret it for some time. Her and her fat lesbian pal proceeded to scream at me and the dog, calling me a woman beater etc and slagging the dog off, saying its vicious and will be put down etc...

I finally prised the little asshole from my Dogs jaws and she whimpered off back to the dykes... then the biggest surprise of all came...

She pulled her badge on me. She was a copper!
I gave my name and address and also grabbed a local dog walker I see every day and procured her as my witness to prove mine was on a lead and a warning given.

Heard nothing more about it... not even the assault charge she threatened me with.
Must admit, that was shit luck! LOL
Old 17-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by vaughant
The mere fact your dog is a staffy is the problem here, the other owner has obviously got some kind of false impression about the breed, if your dog was a poodle there would be a different perception of the incident.

So true,just took mine up the park now,on her lead of courselves.walked in and one woman was absolutley horrified,thought it was going to tear her grandchilds head off,another bloke trying to gather his kids before she mauled them to death!!

lluckily there was another bird there with three kids who all came over and played with
her,she just had her usual big grin on her face(the dog) and the kids loved her.it turned out the bird had a staff cross herself so knew how good they were.
I have to say in all defense, i would do the same as both parents who showed concern, not because your dog is a threat but because some dogs are, and i base that on the following,
a year or so ago, i was getting ready for footie training ( i got there early to warm up etc) and was sitting down lacing my boots when a staffy came up to me growling, butting and being really agressive, i shouted to the female owner (about 30yrs old or so i think) about 60 feet away to control her dog and she blamed me for making her dog agressive, "because i was sitting down bent over" is basically word for word what she said. which i found an amazing response lol

Another time on dunstable downs a dog owner had no control over his german shepherd which ran straight towards my daughter who was playing, my daughter was 5-6 at the time (shes now 8) and these dogs are not small. it was running towards her barking,
whether it was playing or not, the owner (aged about 50 or so)was just laughing, she paniced and ran, I had to basically stop the dog, it doesnt sound that bad she was proper scared, and it has affected her, she is now so terrified of dogs she still cannot bear to be near then even walking on the steet near a dog, she wouldnt even play on the beach on holiday in april this year in case there was a dog on there.

So if i see a dog such as a staffy etc, I am extra careful, sorry if that causes offence but its a small minority of owners who let down the majority really,
Old 17-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Been here, done this guys, my staffy was attacked by a pack of three dogs off the lead AFTER I shouted a warning to the two female owners that they should keep their dogs away as mine isn't friendly.

They smiled at me and giggled to each other, still don't know what they said, but something derogatory about staffies or their owners no doubt, anyway, they all came yapping round us and nipping at mine when and my dog grabbed one and proceeded to try and remove its head with vicious shaking... the other two dogs were snapping and barking etc but keeping their distance... what does owner do?

Kicks my dog hard!! So I shoved her to the ground and made it clear if she touches my dog again she would really regret it for some time. Her and her fat lesbian pal proceeded to scream at me and the dog, calling me a woman beater etc and slagging the dog off, saying its vicious and will be put down etc...

I finally prised the little asshole from my Dogs jaws and she whimpered off back to the dykes... then the biggest surprise of all came...

She pulled her badge on me. She was a copper!
I gave my name and address and also grabbed a local dog walker I see every day and procured her as my witness to prove mine was on a lead and a warning given.

Heard nothing more about it... not even the assault charge she threatened me with.
Must admit, that was shit luck! LOL

and this is why i wont have my children near them EVER

and my view on them is that staff's bull dogs alike should all be put down.

one attacked my pointer years ago at a local farm show, both dogs were on short leads.

i HATE the bread with a passion

and stu, if you dog isn't friendly why do you allow it to be with your young daughter , i couldnt live with my self if something happed
Old 17-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
and stu, if you dog isn't friendly why do you allow it to be with your young daughter
Because she is only unfriendly with DOGS mate, not humans.
She was tied up as a pup with her twin brother on a short rope in a derelict house and left to die there. As starvation set in they fought each other and the RSPCA suggest her brother started to eat pieces of her, she has a fear of most dogs close to her.

She loves kids and all humans.

Steve, I do undersatand your fears mate, but a human once attacked me, should I therefore hate all humans with a passion? Your thinking is flawed.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 17-08-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 17-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

sad story
Old 17-08-2010, 01:37 PM
nick-21
feet found, i have 2

one attacked my pointer years ago at a local farm show, both dogs were on short leads.

Staff's are very loyal loving dogs, 9 times out of 10 one that shows aggression towards people in general is through the owners treatment of the dog, whether they have taught it to act like that or been aggressive themselves towards the dog.

I know someone who drives a 205 that is a twat, dosn't mean i think your a twat

Staffs get a bad name because neds think they are cool and hard, its not the dogs fault
Old 17-08-2010, 01:42 PM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell him to fuck off i hate them silly fucking dogs
one went for my staff a few months ago i got in the way and my dog left a nice bite mark on my arm next time i wont be so silly had to have 2 weeks off work and it fooking hurt lol
my dog was on her lead and the jrt was not

and to add staffs are one of the best dogs to have around kids

Last edited by mark; 17-08-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 17-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

i agree, it's not the dog fault, but i have had first time exeprience of them and from that i REALLY hate them

again it's only MY view

and if you think i'm a twat, i accept that it's your view (i know what you wrote )

but, if i see one walking near, i really feel uncomforatable and when walking with my boy i protect him, and always between me and the dog, this really is how much i hate them and i'm ALWAYS on guard against such dogs as i know how dangerous they "can" be, i'm alwayas ready to kick it in the balls or choke it.

i dont see why i have to be like this, but i am, and i'm not like it with any any type of breed.

Old 17-08-2010, 02:01 PM
nick-21
feet found, i have 2

What i think would be better is if we just shot certain people with staff's (i get to decide )

If you are that wary of the breed then obviously your experience is what made you that way so nothing i will say will change that. Its just a shame though as they are brilliant dogs.

Sad thing is nearly all the time an aggressive dog is caused by its owner, jacks by nature like to have a scrap with something bigger and obviously the OP is dealing with someone who believes cause his little dog got bit by a big aggressive ( ) staff he should stump up, if it was myself i would be pissed off for letting my dog get biten as you should know the character of your dog and the character of the breed in general and know that they like a scrap with something bigger and that the majority of the time they will end up coming back with their tail between thier legs, hopefully still attached!

OP, tell the guy to swivel and get his dog under control, if he lets it go off and start at other dogs some will bite back yours did and rightly so as it was only protecting itself
Old 17-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

steve,you cant blame every staffy mate.yes there are twats that bring them up rong but nearly all i encounter are very friendly. but i do know what you mean.i dont judge any dog when im on my own as im not scared(and ive been bitten by one before) but when im with my dogs i do judge,due to my huskies being started on by various breeds and not wanting them injured or the other dog. i love animals and cant bare to see them injured in any way like that.
im very careful of what mine get near as some owners dont give a shit.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:36 PM
andrewaspinall
Part of the Furniture

Just tell them get stuffed i have a american bulldog i keep it on the lead when on a walk unless i no no other dogs around if their dog is off lead and your dog fucks it up its just hard luck i think all bull breeds get a bad rep and its just wrong
Old 17-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Cossie17737
Moonstone Cossie

I have had this so many times, I always keep my staffy on a lead and people think that it is ok to let their dogs come running up and nipping at her while they are not even in sight.

On one occasion two small dogs off leads came running at her she was so scared she jumped up into my arms like a baby shaking, the owners refused to put them on leads and did nothing other than shout abuse at me and even as I was trying to walk away they were jumping up at me trying to bite her, all of this was in front of my son who was terrified.

In my opinion if your dog is on a lead and the other dog is not restrained then that is not your fault. I know what I would tell them to do with the Vets bill!
Old 17-08-2010, 08:43 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

dogs should be kept on a lead when in public full stop. If you let your dog go off and attack another dog then it deserves to get bitten in two.

Regards dangerous dogs, most are created by stupid ignorant owners. I know a few people with staffies and rotties and they are the softest dogs you could wish for, I know others that have spaniels and jr's and they are nasty little shits.
Old 18-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by matts1
dogs should be kept on a lead when in public full stop. If you let your dog go off and attack another dog then it deserves to get bitten in two.

Regards dangerous dogs, most are created by stupid ignorant owners. I know a few people with staffies and rotties and they are the softest dogs you could wish for, I know others that have spaniels and jr's and they are nasty little shits.
exactly!!!
Old 18-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Versus_Creations
Ask me a question!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Some peoples views are crazy. Cant belive you dont have more common sense.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Chip

and stu, if you dog isn't friendly why do you allow it to be with your young daughter , i couldnt live with my self if something happed
Staffs are quite often shite with other dogs TBH (although not all), but they are almost always great with kids, it takes a REALLY shit owner to turn the natural amazing nature with kids to be a bad one, one of their nicknames is "the nanny dog" and although I wouldnt ever trust ANY dog alone with a young child, i'd certainly have no problem with a young child and a staff together with adult supervision.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Chip

i agree, it's not the dog fault, but i have had first time exeprience of them and from that i REALLY hate them

again it's only MY view

and if you think i'm a twat, i accept that it's your view (i know what you wrote )

but, if i see one walking near, i really feel uncomforatable and when walking with my boy i protect him, and always between me and the dog, this really is how much i hate them and i'm ALWAYS on guard against such dogs as i know how dangerous they "can" be, i'm alwayas ready to kick it in the balls or choke it.

i dont see why i have to be like this, but i am, and i'm not like it with any any type of breed.

Careful you dont turn your boy into a dog hater by going over the top when he's a little older (at this current age I think any contact with unknown dogs would be a bad idea anyway!)
By all means be wary of dogs in general but if you are being less vigilent with other breeds than with one of the best breeds to be around kids then you might want to revise your policy.
MOST dogs are more unpredictable around kids than a well brought up staff, other than a labrador you will struggle to find a more kid suitable dog!

Last edited by Chip; 18-08-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 18-08-2010, 10:13 AM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my Staff since he was 5 weeks old and he's grown up with my 2 daughters..... He is very large compared to most other Satffs around but is as gentle now as he was when he was a puppy. I always walk him on a lead because of other peoples bullshit views on the breed.

Steve
Old 23-08-2010, 09:45 PM
shep

hi

just to update the thread i went round the guys house with the vet bill and told him were to shuve it ... following that i had a visit from the police as the guy had rang them saying my staff was a pitt bull anyway the police came in and assesed my dog and said theres no cause for concern my staff ran straight up to them and wanted some fuss and rolled on his back the police then left saying obviously the jr thought it was bigger than it was and lost the fight and that it wasnt my fault and that they would close the file and tell the jr owner to keep his/her dog on the lead from now on
Old 24-08-2010, 12:01 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by S1rst
Tricky one this. Being blunt, obviously both dog sound nasty, but it sounds like a knock for knock situation to me. He should have his dog on a lead if its aggressive. You couldnt have done anything different if yours was on a lead. Does your dog do the same to others when its off the lead? Or do you always have to keep it on the lead? What would you do if it was the other way round?

Jack russells are awful dogs for this though ive got to say. Nasty viscious little shits!
Don't talk rubbish, what logic/facts have you used to come to the conclusion that the Staffy is nasty? It was merely defending itself as i'm sure most people would if they were attacked but that doesn't automatically make them nasty people.
Originally Posted by Escy
I think they should both be put down....
And this months prize for knob jockey of the week goes to.....
Originally Posted by Rick Astley
If a dog came running up to me bearing it's teeth at me and trying to snap at me I would have no issue with kicking fuck out of it to protect myself or my dog.

The mere fact your dog is a staffy is the problem here, the other owner has obviously got some kind of false impression about the breed, if your dog was a poodle there would be a different perception of the incident.

Remind them, your dog was on the lead and under control at the time, the other dog came as the aggressor and as such say you'll see him in court to dispute the fact you will NOT pay the vet bill.
Spot on .
Originally Posted by vaughant

So true,just took mine up the park now,on her lead of courselves.walked in and one woman was absolutley horrified,thought it was going to tear her grandchilds head off,another bloke trying to gather his kids before she mauled them to death!!

lluckily there was another bird there with three kids who all came over and played with
her,she just had her usual big grin on her face(the dog) and the kids loved her.it turned out the bird had a staff cross herself so knew how good they were.
The guy has got no problem at all as his dog was properly under control. A well reared/handled SBT is a breed to be proud of and certainly not a problem.
Originally Posted by rhinopower
Does your staffy have a collar or a harness? Those that wear harnesses bring their chest higher and gives other dogs the impression they are squaring up for a fight.
Complete bollocks. If a harness is "pushing" the dogs chest up it has not been fitted correctly. Whilst on the subject, if anyone has a SBT that pulls when walking on a lead & collar try using a harness for 3 or 4 weeks, often it transforms them and you can usually go back to a collar once the dog has learnt to walk in a more acceptable manner. Don't use one of the black leather harnesses though as they are usually the number 1 fashion accessory of chav Staffs, use one of the coloured foam ones.
Originally Posted by RUSSELLB1904
Simple your dog was on the lead, his was not so not your fault.

I get the same problem all the time. I have 5 staffies, mam, dad and three sons and they never come off the lead as basically there are too many people who can't control there dogs and i always have problems with dogs off the lead coming up to mine when i'm walking them.

Had an incident the other day with a dog of the lead and mine basically doubled up against the other dog which ran off in the end but then the owner came over and said control my dogs..... WTF just told him to foook off and get a grip of his own dog....
Had a similar incident a few years ago with my dad's elderly SBT. Was walking down a local lane with Jake on his lead when a woman with 3 black labradors came towards us, as we passed each other one of her dogs suddenly lunged across and locked onto Jakes nose and didn't let go. As soon as it did it i thought if he shakes his head to shake the lab off it is gonna shred his nose so i gave the dog a good right hand on the side of its head just behind its eye followed by a good kick to its arse which fortunately made it let go. The cheeky bitch then told me i should keep my dog under control. Needless to say she got a mouthful of "constructive" advice back.
Originally Posted by Markb_s1
Agreed, can't stand those leads in streets near to roads for any breed of dog.
Originally Posted by Chip
I hadnt noticed he said it was a 6 metre long extendable lead, TBH thats not really much better than being off the lead.

So pretty much a case of both owners similarly at fault in that sense.

Still certainly not the sole fault of the OP though that an off the lead dog came and attacked his dog and then came off worse when his dog defended itself.
But it doesn't say that the lead was extended.
Originally Posted by baz4077
i have a staff great breed people make them nastey mine has been attacked by a jr and 3 other dogs and never retaliated tell the jr owner to f off as he could not controll his dog and u cant tar every staff with the same brush mines a right tart and he is beast best part of 4 stone a little over weight
A lot over weight - needs to loose about a stone in weight.
Originally Posted by Gra
I have to say in all defense, i would do the same as both parents who showed concern, not because your dog is a threat but because some dogs are, and i base that on the following,
a year or so ago, i was getting ready for footie training ( i got there early to warm up etc) and was sitting down lacing my boots when a staffy came up to me growling, butting and being really agressive, i shouted to the female owner (about 30yrs old or so i think) about 60 feet away to control her dog and she blamed me for making her dog agressive, "because i was sitting down bent over" is basically word for word what she said. which i found an amazing response lol

Another time on dunstable downs a dog owner had no control over his german shepherd which ran straight towards my daughter who was playing, my daughter was 5-6 at the time (shes now 8) and these dogs are not small. it was running towards her barking,
whether it was playing or not, the owner (aged about 50 or so)was just laughing, she paniced and ran, I had to basically stop the dog, it doesnt sound that bad she was proper scared, and it has affected her, she is now so terrified of dogs she still cannot bear to be near then even walking on the steet near a dog, she wouldnt even play on the beach on holiday in april this year in case there was a dog on there.

So if i see a dog such as a staffy etc, I am extra careful, sorry if that causes offence but its a small minority of owners who let down the majority really,
Classic cases of the owners letting the dogs down but it's the dogs reputation that suffers not the owners.

Referring back to my black labrador incident further up does that mean i should hate all black labradors (and English Setters as one attacked my dog & Weimaraners as 1 attacked my dog). My dog has far more problems from other dogs than he causes to others.

again it's only MY view

Mate whilst you are on your guard against Staffs you are more likely to be bit by a totally different breed, also you are instilling your nervous energy into you son and dogs can sense this.
Staffs are quite often shite with other dogs TBH (although not all), but they are almost always great with kids, it takes a REALLY shit owner to turn the natural amazing nature with kids to be a bad one, one of their nicknames is "the nanny dog" and although I wouldnt ever trust ANY dog alone with a young child, i'd certainly have no problem with a young child and a staff together with adult supervision.
Bang on Chip - i'm getting a little concerned, i find that more and more i am starting to agree with you .
Originally Posted by shep
hi

just to update the thread i went round the guys house with the vet bill and told him were to shuve it ... following that i had a visit from the police as the guy had rang them saying my staff was a pitt bull anyway the police came in and assesed my dog and said theres no cause for concern my staff ran straight up to them and wanted some fuss and rolled on his back the police then left saying obviously the jr thought it was bigger than it was and lost the fight and that it wasnt my fault and that they would close the file and tell the jr owner to keep his/her dog on the lead from now on
Glad it all worked out ok mate but i think you were always in the clear anyway as your dog was under control, your dog had no alternative other than to defend itself .

Last edited by STAFFY OWNER; 24-08-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 24-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Olliexr4x4
Regular Contributor

I have 2 dogs, a husky and a little mogrel who is half Jack Russel. The Husky is always on the lead, people always look scared of him, but he is soft as feck, the mogrel however is a right fiester little fecker, but people always like her. If I walk the husky people either cross over or put their dog on a lead, if I walk the mongrel people don't bother, but I always put her on the lead when people come the other way, they always complain when their dog, who isn't on a lead walks over and is then sent with its tail between its legs.

Little man syndrome springs to mind.
Old 24-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Careful you dont turn your boy into a dog hater by going over the top when he's a little older (at this current age I think any contact with unknown dogs would be a bad idea anyway!)
By all means be wary of dogs in general but if you are being less vigilent with other breeds than with one of the best breeds to be around kids then you might want to revise your policy.
MOST dogs are more unpredictable around kids than a well brought up staff, other than a labrador you will struggle to find a more kid suitable dog!

wont happen,

my mum has a 3 and he loves them, and i dont do anything

my sister has one, and he plays with that

my bro has 2 and he plays with them, if they around, though they are much bigger than him..lol

my inlaws have a sheep dog and he is there all the time as they child mind him for us, and him and dog get on great

it's only staffs/pitballs i really have an issue with.
Old 24-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

STAFFY OWNER
you cant change how i feel, i was about 14 when the incident happened right in front of me, i will never change my view on the dogs EVER.

i am a dog/cat/animal lover, and absolutely hate to see any animal hurt.

i just stay clear of the ones i dont like

simples

Quick Reply: my dog attacked another dog that was off the lead