General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

intercooler under the car, would it work? gunna try it

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default intercooler under the car, would it work? gunna try it

ok, in my 5 i run 2 charge coolers, but 1 of them has burst and is beyond repair, it is going to cost a lot of money i dont have to replace it so at the mo the car is just sitting there doing nothing.

i have noticed a lot of cars putting rads in the boot floor recently and i was wondering if putting an intercooler under the car would work?
as my engine is mid mounted i can easily run an intercooler on the floor at a slight angle of maybe 30 degrees, the pipework actually goes that way anyway.

would it physically work tho?
i can get a decent cooler off ebay such as
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-FMIC...item255c6f05af

basically 4"thick, 600mmx300mm

if i was to place it at a bit of an angle and cut it through the floor with some decent shrouding to it d you think it would work?

i will still keep 1 charge cooler working, but this might drop the temps engough to make it useable again.
hell i might even leave the intercooler in when i eventually do get the new charge cooler.

Last edited by stu21t; 10-08-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to run a cossie intercooler under the floor in my nova, we chopped off the normal outlets and moved them to the top of it instead so it went straight down and up, worked well but you are obviously very limited on size so when I want for an extra couple of hundred bhp i moved onto a charge cooler setup instead.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as i wanna keep the car looking ast std as poss i think this is my only option, other than buying a new CC but i cant afford that as yet.

looking at ebay i could get an intercooler up and running for about Ł100.

if i went for a bigger cooler id have to run it at less of an angle due to space obviously. so im unsure whether to get a shorter 1 with better airflow over it

im at 400bhp now so would need a decent sized cooler, but 1 of the charge coolers will be still in and working so that will help.
dont suppose youve got any pics of your old setup?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Its Dave
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See you at the light at Organ Inn by BP, did you not see me waving

Cheers Stu
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Chip

Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 AM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

pretty similar to what im thinking of doing but if i get a bigger 1 id run it at more of an angle to get more in the direction of air flow

how well did it work?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Chip

Wasnt possible for me to angle it at all, due to space limitations and the depth of it so I didnt get a chance to play with that but you might be able to improve flow a bit.

I was only using it at 250bhp, it worked well for that, I think you are potentially pissing in the wind for 400bhp+ though!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Versus_Creations
Ask me a question!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have worked on a few motors with intercoolers underside of the car. One being an old audi long wheel base quattro which had a couple of coolers (Oil and air) underside. The others ACT is normally ok but has issues with objects hitting the cooler like stones etc. The other problem was getting the air to go through the cooler instead of round it. Had to make a few alloy ducts to channel the air to the cooler. Was a lot of effect and in the end was moved back to the front of the car as they work so well there.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well i thought id give it a go.

i dont know why i didnt think of this earlier.

i have a renault 5 gt turbo convertible as well, and tonight i thought id take the intercooler off that and measure up to see if i could physically fit one before i buy 1.

then i suddenly thought, why not use the 1 off that car, its not going anywhere. lol

so all i gotta do now is get 2 new pipes welded on the end and its ready to fit, dont even need new hoses.

its pretty much the exact size i need
the core is 500mmx180mmx60mm made by forge.
i would probably go for a 600x300x100mm from ebay if i change it

heres a pic of my pipework that runs under my engine, and said cooler

so just get 2 pipes welded on the top of the end tanks at 45degrees, and take out the 2 middle hoses and the 2 outer hoses will fit in just fine. result

i would hope that this intercooler and 1 charge cooler should work ok.

if not i can get it all in and working then see about getting a bigger IC later on.

Last edited by stu21t; 10-08-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by stu21t
ok, in my 5 i run 2 charge coolers, but 1 of them has burst and is beyond repair, it is going to cost a lot of money i dont have to replace it so at the mo the car is just sitting there doing nothing.

i have noticed a lot of cars putting rads in the boot floor recently and i was wondering if putting an intercooler under the car would work?
as my engine is mid mounted i can easily run an intercooler on the floor at a slight angle of maybe 30 degrees, the pipework actually goes that way anyway.

would it physically work tho?
i can get a decent cooler off ebay such as
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-FMIC...item255c6f05af

basically 4"thick, 600mmx300mm

if i was to place it at a bit of an angle and cut it through the floor with some decent shrouding to it d you think it would work?

i will still keep 1 charge cooler working, but this might drop the temps engough to make it useable again.
hell i might even leave the intercooler in when i eventually do get the new charge cooler.

I would try and get a fan on it and have it switched for boost otherwise it wont work very well if you dont get good ducted airflow to it.

Mark
Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks for the advice, i was thinking that myself, a couple of 5" fans would fit nicely

this is just to see if its possible and to get the car mobile again, its not meant to be a permanent fixture.
eventually i want to get my charge cooler replaced, then maybe add a new garrett chargecooler where this intercooler is going, later on.

i have a flat plate under the whole car that is thin ally, i will cut slices into it so i can fold it around the cooler, and add some ducting to it. i think it will get quite a bit of airflow doing it the way i think i will.