General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Police Camera Action ITV

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Police Camera Action ITV

No surprise really, bash the speeders and pluck the heart strings to show how bad it is. Had to turn it off it was such complete bollocks!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How un scientific was the 50/58 mph speeding bit...

Trained Police Driver Vs ITV presenter in the wet

No suprise the out come.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought it was alright tbh, makes you stop and think seeing that little girl on there what a waste of a life because some twat was doing minium 71mph in a 30mph

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 05-08-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Sorry but it was little more than thinly veiled emotional blackmail. That little girl was horribly tragic and I wouldn't wish it on anybody but using it like they did was a low blow

Last edited by Oranoco; 05-08-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not the most scientific

it is utter shit.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The whole thing was absolute bollox, i found it funny them using a load of clips from america showing "the dangers of speeding" when infact they were police persuits of tolen cars and scum trying there hardest to get away as there going to jail if they get caught.

The whole show prooved to me that speeding isnt as bad a what they make it out to be henc why they had to show a load of shite instead of video of dave killing someone for doing 33 in a 30
Old 05-08-2010, 09:15 PM
D16PJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Sorry but it was little more than thinly veiled emotional blackmail. That little girl was horribly tragic and I wouldn't wish it on anybody but using it like they did was a low blow
it might be a low blow but, i speed , i have kids and sometimes its things like this that make you stand back and think.

we all think we are the best drivers in the world but in reality we are all average when you take into account the roads we drive on and share.

Pete
Old 05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by D16PJM
it might be a low blow but, i speed , i have kids and sometimes its things like this that make you stand back and think.

we all think we are the best drivers in the world but in reality we are all average when you take into account the roads we drive on and share.

Pete

Well said mate

Brian
Old 05-08-2010, 09:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

I can never watch any speed propoganda bullshit.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

What a load of bollocks.

Theres a difference between speeding and dangerous driving which that program failed to highlight adequately.

90 on an empty motorway in the dry is no danger to anyone but yourself.
40 in heavy fog in a 70 is dangerous
30 in a 30 on icy/snowy roads is dangerous.

speed is only one minor factor in a crash.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 PM
rs_traynor
stage4 2wd cosworth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it was that geeky lookin copper on the bridge hes doin 90 no 85 and it was 87 what a fuckin twat he seriously needs to get a grip of his sad life llf
Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by D16PJM

Pete
+1.
Sometimes it probably takes a bit of emotional blackmail to make us think about what we are doing. Yes i speed but if, when i'm speeding i knock a kid over whos fault would it be - mine, i would only have myself to blame. 71 (minimum) in a 30 zone is totally irresponsible, how he got away with serving 6 months is beyond me. Now before you all start calling me a do gooder (which i'm not) just ask yourself how you'd react if someone doing just 10-15mph over the speed limit injured/cabbaged/killed a member of your family, you certainly wouldn't be sticking up for them.
One other thing. Aint American cops dense. How often do you see other motorists either skittle them or narrowly miss them when they are leaning into the car talking to the driver. Why don't they do what our police do and quickly get them out the car and sit them in the police car. It's gotta be much safer than a copper sticking his arse out into the carriageway.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 AM
rubinsbin
BANNED
BANNED

how did that fat bitch get her car to go that fast???????
and and what speed did he do in a 30miler??? 100+-----------life ban and dispose of his sunglasses-which would be the most damaging??-LOL glasses probably the nobb!
GET AN MSA LICENCE AND GO DO IT RIGHT
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i was impressed by the bint who had been driving her husbands very fast saab 2 litre tdi
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

Impressed because dispite she was soo fat, the car had enough power to get her to that speed?

I watched it then got called out, didn't feel any different about doing 100+ round the M25.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought what a waste of viewers time, the went all out on the speeding aspect, with zero thought to any other influencing factors.
The yank clip where the police car was hit, "it was down to a speeding driver", no it's because some twat was driving on the wrong side of the road and hit the parked police car, surely if he's stupid enough to drive on the wrong side he's still going to hit the police car.
I liked the copper on the bridge, the rules state they must observe the car they suspect of speeding for a minimum distance on a straight flat level road for 200 metres PRIOR to confirming the suspicion of speeding using the gun, this was clearly not straight level and flat, so was being used as primary evidence.
They missed the whole point in my view, what could have been an excellent programme was completely overdone, sorry but since the 70mph limit was introduced in 1965, due to some AC cars crashing at 180mph in the fog, it was blamed on Barbara Castle, although it was actually down to Tom Fraser who was the roads minister at the time, originally a temp measure, it was later confirmed as permanent in 67 by which time Barbara Castle was roads minister, a NON DRIVER by the way, the 70 limit applied to ALL derestricted roads not just motorways but rural roads too.
The idiot overtaking at a junction causing such horrific injuries may still have overtaken the vehicle that pulled out without first ascertaining that it was safe to do so, still giving a potential 60 mph impact, would the outcome have been different I don't know.
No reference to braking distances in real world terms, or LEGAL speeding, imagine if speed cameras could not differentiate between a 1 ton car and a 48 ton truck, in a 60 a truck on ab class road can do 40mph, but can with immunity go through a speed camera t 60 and not get flashed, whereas a car at 70mph would, what's more dangerous ?
Since the 70 mph limit was brought in tyres brakes suspension etc have all improved beyond recognition, from 70mph a moggy takes 377ft on 1965 brake shoes, as it did at the time, a equivalent car stops in around 1/3 the distance.
Why are trucks so ineffectively braked in comparison to cars, maybe the driver with a 48 ton load comprising steel pipes 6 feet away from him at head height knows newtons law of motion and wouldn't like it to stop as quick.
Tests done by rospa show a fully laden artic and a car both doing 30mph then emergency braking the artic is till doing 20mph when the car has stopped.
A daf crew cab(laden) takes 34.62 metres to stop from 45mph, a 1.3 ton picasso 18 metres, a tavern(apc)(with abs) 33.3, but only weighs 6.7 tons, from 30mph, iveco combo laden 27 metres, a mondeo 7.14.
All are actual figures obtained at Leconfield, army driver training place.
I think education is the key, there is zero comparison in my view of a car doing 60mph in a 30 to a car doing 100 in a 70, can't remember the last time I saw a car coming towards me on the motorway on my side of the road, or having side turnings where people pull out and head towards you, all going the same way surely must be safer, that travelling towards each other ?
Looking at Germany where 80% is unrestricted on the autobahns, the accident/fatality rate is far better than the uk(on autobahns+motorways).
Personally I think the limit in the uk should be 85, more police should be on the road, instead of milking the car driver for revenue with cameras etc, why not plod back on the beat/roads where they can catch the drink driver, mobile phone user, red light jumper etc etc.
Odd how some councils are turning off the cameras as well now, and how a few have seen accidents RISE since installations maybe too much speedo watching for that 1mph over fine and points ?
Accident rates were FALLING prior to the speed cameras inception, the rate of decline of accidents SLOWED since the introduction, ie good old motorist as a whole were getting better, but then suddenly something seemed to distract their attention.
tabetha
Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
p17fld
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by tabetha
I thought what a waste of viewers time
ITV in a nutshell.

Well said.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shings
How un scientific was the 50/58 mph speeding bit...

Trained Police Driver Vs ITV presenter in the wet

No suprise the out come.
Couldn't agree more.
Here's Pc Numpty Twin.
He's calculated the stopping distance in those conditions.
Placed cones at the braking point.
Placed a gantry with some tikka tape across it a metre beyond where his vehicle came to a halt.
Now he wants Eager Tv presenter dude to shadow him, then brake at the same point as he does at 50mph, but he wants him to be going 58.
So, no surprise that if they both brake at the same point that the faster car will haul up in a longer distance.
What the fuck did that prove??

Don't take me wrong though, The thought of causing the trauma to a child or anyone really like the little girl suffered controls me. I couldn't live with myself if I'd done that.
So again, matey boy in the range rover. Though he was speeding, it wasn't truely down to the speed, More so that the driver was a fucking idiot. 71 in a built up 30 road being fed by residential junctions. He was just a fucking prick and should have been jailed indefinitely. The speed increased the carnage, but it was the man's complete inconsideration for safety of him or anyone else that caused the crash.
Much the same as prick number 2 in the aston.
Yeah, lol, I done 120 in a 30, lol. LOL??
You're a fucking idiot man! I wanted to reach into the tv and smash his fucking head in.

Much as the state trooper whose patrol car took the brunt of the accelerating big yank pick up.
He was already out, and behind his car, watching the approaching truck and deciding which way he was going to have to dive to survive.
That wasn't 'just' speeding, the other patrol car on the other side of the road makes me think that this was some desperate fellon approaching a road block who deliberately gunned it to 'intentionally cause' maximum carnage. (Which, Fuck me, he did!! )
It's typical scare mongering from what could have been a good and informative program.
YOU WILL CONFORM. WE KNOW BEST. GET IN LINE PEASANTS.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

They used it like that as speeding is what did that too her! ok so we all speed but the sort of twats who do 70+ in a 30 by a row of shops should be made to see people like that and what happens if it dose go wronge!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Is it viewable online ?

Given it seems like usual propoganada crap, why not get emailing to the ITV, contesting the BS they have shown
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Someone needs to make a proper program that is actually factual and not just a load of shite, but they wont cause they know that a modern car traveling at 50 would probably stop in a shorter distance than the dvla say it takes to stop from 40 blowing there utter shite clean out of the water
Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by lead_foot

I watched it then got called out, didn't feel any different about doing 100+ round the M25.
Very imprssive

Brian
Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
why not get emailing to the ITV, contesting the BS they have shown
I've gone one better and am in the process of sending a formal letter of complaint to OFCOM outlining the technical/scientific inacuracies and the use of non relative footage.

Brian mate, take off those rose tinted spectacles and look beyond the complete rubbish that you are being spoon fed and appear to be taking in, hook, line and sinker.

Nobody is saying it is or should be acceptable to tank around a housing estate or round a school. As per usual though the speed propaganda machine is turning, spouting inaccurate information, plucking at heart strings and generally being irresponsible in pushing their views and opinions forwards.

Hell I work with accident data and it's at best somewhat floored!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

TBH mate i said to my wife what a load of crap the 50/58 bit was and also some of the other stuff, but the bit with the little girl really did make me think is it worth speeding? i have a 19 month old little girl and i dont know what i would do if some twat who was speeding hurt her

I take it you havent got any kids?

Like in another thread on here when you have kids you look at things in life in a different way.

Brian
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
JK12
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

i saw it, now me and the misses wondered how that women affords a house over the road and 24 hour care for her poor kid!!

Would that be from the accident pay out or would they have to pay that?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I've not watched it since I found this out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...iving-ban.html

I don't think he presents it anymore, but he did come on in his day and slag off speeders. The fucking audacity of it all.

Benni.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cheeky bastard....
Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Plus the Gethin Jones as 3 points for speeding and some for using his phone too,so he said in an interview for one of those tv mags things
Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

that 50-58 test pissed me right off

what is to say that they both hit the breaks:
a. at exactly the same point in time, at 50mph you are travelling at 22.4 metres per second, at 58 you are travelling at 25.9 metres per second. a .1 second delay in applying the brakes after the cone would equate to 2.59 metres further down the road, im guessing it was more like .3 of a second after the cone he hit the brakes at least.

b. can they scientifically proove the police officer applied the brakes in exactly the same way, did he simply slam them on and let the car stop wheels locking etc via abs, or did he vary pressure manually, and hte same for the presenter?
c. what was the conditions of the tyres/discs/pads/suspension? They may both have been the same car, however heat cycles affect braking efficiency as does the suspension and tyres. I doubt they where both straigh off the production line with delivery mileage.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Impressed because dispite she was soo fat, the car had enough power to get her to that speed?
not at all impressed, but she said it like it was the world's fastest car. it's a shit slow diesel ffs. she obviously has no concept of what a fast car actually is
Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
fezzaboyy
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcd

yeah wonder wot some of you would say if it was your child that was in that state because of some cock who thinks they can drive as was said on tv last night doesnt matter if you are the best cunt in the world speeding is speeding and thats the fuckin result of it so think twice before you open your fat cuntin mouths insensitive cunts
Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
fezzaboyy
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcd

ans as for those cunts braggin about how fast they drive wtf is that aw aboot they deserve the jail fuckin cunts
Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didnt watch the whole program, but saw the bit with the little girl.
Certainly made me feel like an absolute cunt for blatently breaking the speed limits just because im late for work or cant be arsed slowing down.
I dont drive stupidly, but I dont really make much effort to stick to a speed limit.
Especially with having the scoob, its too easy to just floor it past a line of traffic to jump in front, or beat someone off the lights so that you dont have to wait in a massive queue. SUCH an arsehole thing to do, although ill only do it when very late.
Its not that i dont think of consequences or think im invinvcible. But still do it!
Definately going to try to slow down (at never use 5th gear in a 30mph!!)
Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

get a fucking grip fezzaboyy

if you cant see the difference between speeding in a high risk built up area and speeding on a motorway then you dont deserve a fucking license.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by fezzaboyy
yeah wonder wot some of you would say if it was your child that was in that state because of some cock who thinks they can drive as was said on tv last night doesnt matter if you are the best cunt in the world speeding is speeding and thats the fuckin result of it so think twice before you open your fat cuntin mouths insensitive cunts

did you speed into a wall yourself to become so fucking retarded ?

Millions of people speed every day, and no harm comes to them or anyone around them. That's proof that it isnt the massive danger the government money making propoganda would have retarded people believe.

Speed in itself is not dangerous. Innapropriate speed for the conditions can be dangerous though. They are however, two very different things.
But simple minded people like yourself can't always see the difference.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
did you speed into a wall yourself to become so fucking retarded ?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

No surprise really, bash the speeders and pluck the heart strings to show how bad it is. Had to turn it off it was such complete bollocks!
when was it on?
when is it back on?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Its on, on a Thursday at 21.00 on ITV 1

Brian
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

any repeats of this particulalry intresting episode then?

just want to see for myself what all the fuss is about, then i'll make a "shocked/outraged" type post
Old 07-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Dont know if/when the repeat is on and i carnt look on the tv right now as my daughter is watching kiddy programmes

It should be on the ITV Player though http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/

Brian

Quick Reply: Police Camera Action ITV