General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

anyone recommend me a GOOD lacquer

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default anyone recommend me a GOOD lacquer

am using max meyer/dupont/HB body lacquer atm,
the above are very good BUT it want something better, if you work for a bodyshop what do use?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Glasurit
Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't get better than dupont,I've got a gallon and it costs Ł500!!!but I've never had any problems with hp body 497 and m/s hardner.max meyer is wank IMHO,along with mipa,gives a very flat finish,all mipa stuff bar laquer I find brilliant.90% of cars need a polish so the laquer dosent have a huge bearing after that.a lot depends on how hot your booth is when painting,how you lay it on etc.we've stopped using rocket for a while now as it seemed to cause a lot of shit under the laquer,I fancy due to drying it too quick on the surface making the first coat really dry,if your first coats dry it dosent matter how much you put on your second it'll still look dry,better to go heavyish first then lay it on the second really heavy,you risk runs but their correctable,dry finish is much harder to sort.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by vaughant
You won't get better than dupont,I've got a gallon and it costs Ł500!!!but I've never had any problems with hp body 497 and m/s hardner.max meyer is wank IMHO,along with mipa,gives a very flat finish,all mipa stuff bar laquer I find brilliant.90% of cars need a polish so the laquer dosent have a huge bearing after that.a lot depends on how hot your booth is when painting,how you lay it on etc.we've stopped using rocket for a while now as it seemed to cause a lot of shit under the laquer,I fancy due to drying it too quick on the surface making the first coat really dry,if your first coats dry it dosent matter how much you put on your second it'll still look dry,better to go heavyish first then lay it on the second really heavy,you risk runs but their correctable,dry finish is much harder to sort.
I'd prefer the opposite to be honest. You shouldn't really be getting it at a level where it's too dry to sort easily. And i'd rather sort a dry finish than a run, as you can very rarely completely get rid of a run.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xr_craig
I'd prefer the opposite to be honest. You shouldn't really be getting it at a level where it's too dry to sort easily. And i'd rather sort a dry finish than a run, as you can very rarely completely get rid of a run.
Obviously different people,different preferences but I find it better to go heavy.I'm comparing work with the two painters I've had and the first preferred to go light to avoid runs but even after polishing his work always looked flat,whereas the other boy uses the method I described and it looks amazing,he dosent really get many runs either,can't understand why you can't fully polish out a run,I've never had a problem,wet 1500 on a block or 1000 disc on d/a if it's bad?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

agreed mate, everyone has their own way. It's not that i can't fully polish it. I can just always tell it's been there so am never happy with it.

I prefer 2 decent coats too though. As you say, it looks a lot better.

Last edited by xr_craig; 04-08-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Gun make/model/type and jet sizes effect finish a fair bit too.

Rob,
Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Glasurit
which one is best mate?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by andy130
which one is best mate?
I wish i could remember mate. A while since i've used it.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is sikkens good? am using dupont with a slow hardner atm, the finish is good, am using 497 great for spot repairs easy sand polish etcwhich dupont is that you have that costs 500?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rob_DOHC
Gun make/model/type and jet sizes effect finish a fair bit too.

Rob,
very true, am waiting on my t2 GTI to turn up
Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wish i could remember mate. A while since i've used it.
i used there lacquers before an fough the finish was brill what primers do you's use?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

At that time i was using glasurit primers too. Where i am now i'm just using cheap stuff. Still does the job though. Using u-pol lacquer too. Again not the best but not bad really
Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 AM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

does it really make that much difference then? i just buy whatever from my place, normally 14 quid a litre or somewere near that, i cant see how its worth spending the extra? a little tickle with 1500 and soapy water and a mop allways looks ok??????
Old 05-08-2010, 06:42 PM
fordrs2005
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

deltron
Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is sikkens good? am using dupont with a slow hardner atm, the finish is good, am using 497 great for spot repairs easy sand polish etcwhich dupont is that you have that costs 500?
Hi dude,will find the name out tommorrow,I didn't pay that but that's the retail on it,nice stuff,it only comes out on our own stuff!!!I was given it from my paint supplies as they weren't able to send it back as du pont no longer made it but he showed me it on the computer and it worked out Ł500 per gallon with the vat,scary!!!

There was a bloke who used it exclusively on high end motors and bought about 6 of them a month!!!!he ordered a load in one go which made them a bit suspicious so they claimed they could only get 12 of them and gave him 6 and kept 6,he did a runner, never paid so they had 6 spare.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Cossack was always good in its day, held your hair inplace for a good 24 hours. Now i think you'll just have to settle for a Loreal product - cos your worth it.

Sorry couldn't resist it.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 AM
andyxpax

Videos for harmony hair spray

70s Adverts - Harmony hairspray
30 sec - 27 Apr 2008
Uploaded by uncleweasel786

www.youtube.com

Harmony - Hairspray - Is She, Isn't She - 1978 ...
29 sec - 2 Feb 2008
Uploaded by NinaOPerez

www.youtube.com
Old 06-08-2010, 07:14 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

hi there, im currently using max meyer 300, high solids. Get really good results with it, quick thinners and extra fast hardener, helps stop the dust settle and stop runs. im painting in my garage at home though so i always need to polish. I find two good heavy coats with 20 mins between works for me.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

very true, am waiting on my t2 GTI to turn up

Old man just bought one of these, brilliant brilliant gun,

Think he has the same trans-tech cap as you too .

Good luck

Rob,

Last edited by Rob_DOHC; 06-08-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:51 PM
GrimV8
Smokin'

I rarely do a modern job so all are flatted as a witches tit before being mopped up here
Think I'm on U-Pol at the min. Have used that on cars that come back years later and they hold up well at show standard IMO. Have used ICI in the past to.
I always paint on the side of a run rather than dry too. If you put enough on you can flat Niagra Falls out. Bloke that taught me showed me how to chase a run right off the panel if need be
I was once told the dearer ones have better UV protection against fade etc Is that bull?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:01 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by GrimV8
I rarely do a modern job so all are flatted as a witches tit before being mopped up here
Think I'm on U-Pol at the min. Have used that on cars that come back years later and they hold up well at show standard IMO. Have used ICI in the past to.
I always paint on the side of a run rather than dry too. If you put enough on you can flat Niagra Falls out. Bloke that taught me showed me how to chase a run right off the panel if need be
I was once told the dearer ones have better UV protection against fade etc Is that bull?
lol ive learnt that trick too, practiced it the other night truth be told!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i used max meyer for 4years its not wank ,but then you can use the 500quid stuff ,but if you carnt get good gun finish ther no point as you still polish anyway ,iv used standox ,ici few others ,still use max meyer even on my own cars

and i put a dry coat on then a nice coat on top flows out mint ,don't get runs ,but each to there own not a dig in anyway ,id never put two heavy coats on or youl be picking the paint off the floor everytime ,gun type ,air pressure ,paint mix .is also a factor
Old 06-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all depends what lacquer ur using thou!! M/S you want 2-3 coats whereas HS ususally its a grip and a rip but then obviously depends what line it is and what hardner/thinner u use and gun as said!!

At McLaren we used Dupont on the SLR's but were now switching to Glasurit for the MP4 12-C and any future releases..............

From memory places like lotus/aston etc also use Dupont aswell or used too anyway!