General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Passionford Joiners

Search this Thread

Old 21-07-2010, 08:33 PM
white2lsr
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAO Passionford Joiners

How much roughly would I be looking to pay to have the following done?

a) New internal door frame fitted

b) New door hung in the new frame

I would supply matierials
Old 21-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

£100 ish.
Old 21-07-2010, 09:42 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£100??!! fooking hell..get someone to do it on the fiddle..i paid a bloke £70 to do 4 door frames and hang doors
Old 21-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by dangerousbrian
£100??!! fooking hell..get someone to do it on the fiddle..i paid a bloke £70 to do 4 door frames and hang doors
get everyone to do everything on the 'fiddle' then eh!

Pitty the spaz who did all that for 70 quid.
Old 21-07-2010, 11:51 PM
cjwood555

£100 sounds reasonable for a professional - by the time they've got to you, got the tools out, done the job, cleaned up etc that's easily more than half the day gone. That and you're not just paying for a random persons time, you're paying for a skilled chippie who'll do it well first-time, has spent money on good tools, training, insurance, possibly accountancy and trade memberships, etc.
Old 22-07-2010, 01:38 AM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

Originally Posted by cjwood555
£100 sounds reasonable for a professional - by the time they've got to you, got the tools out, done the job, cleaned up etc that's easily more than half the day gone. That and you're not just paying for a random persons time, you're paying for a skilled chippie who'll do it well first-time, has spent money on good tools, training, insurance, possibly accountancy and trade memberships, etc.
And not forgeting alot of milky tea
Old 22-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Wogans_Wig
Virgin

1) Find a decent sized building project near you that's almost completed
2) Wait for knock-off time and when they leave site ask for a chippie
3) Tell him you want 1 frame fixing & a door hanging and you'll pay £50

You'll get a time served chippie for a decent price, and fixing frame/hanging door should only take a couple of hours tops.

Simples
Old 22-07-2010, 06:55 AM
rubinsbin
BANNED
BANNED

yeah says you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your on a different planet mate hanging around building sites!!!!--------LOOKING FOR MEN FOR £50 FOR 2 HOURS!!!!!!!!
YOUR THE REASON THE TRADES FUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Wogans_Wig
1) Find a decent sized building project near you that's almost completed
2) Wait for knock-off time and when they leave site ask for a chippie
3) Tell him you want 1 frame fixing & a door hanging and you'll pay £50

You'll get a time served chippie for a decent price, and fixing frame/hanging door should only take a couple of hours tops.

Simples
You registered on PF just to say that?
Old 22-07-2010, 06:54 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rubinsbin
yeah says you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your on a different planet mate hanging around building sites!!!!--------LOOKING FOR MEN FOR £50 FOR 2 HOURS!!!!!!!!
YOUR THE REASON THE TRADES FUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
£50 for two hours work is not bad.£25 an hour cash in hand.oh and its not his fault the trades fuck.its the countrys fault and maybe people thinking they can charge silly money.
Old 22-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Going rate is around £30 for a internal egg box door and something like £15 - £20 for a softwood lining/casing.
If its anything fancier like a hardwood veneered door I charge around £45+ and about £35 for a hardwood lining/casing.

You will pay more per door if your just having the one done as opposed to having a fair few done but thats the same with everything. The fact that you want the lining/casing doing too is a bonus as the chippie wont be swinging a door to a frame thats miles out!

Gavin.
Old 22-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

2 hours?
Load the tools up
Get to the job in the van.
get all the tools out
Set the casing up
Fix a door casing and dowel the screw holes.
Hang the door.
Fit the handle and latch.
Fit two sets of architrave(which i assumed it would need)
Clean up
Put tools back in the van
Drive away.
2 hours? 50 quid? and a quality finished job? PLEASE come and work for me as i could sit at home most of the day while you do the work

This is the trouble, some 'tradesmen' cant differentiate between site bonus work and running a business work!

Last edited by Lee Reynolds; 22-07-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 22-07-2010, 08:24 PM
2wdRyan
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
2 hours?
Load the tools up
get all the tools out
Set the casing up
Hang the door.
Clean up
Drive away.
2 hours? 50 quid? and a quality finished job? PLEASE come and work for me as i could sit at home most of the day while you do the work

This is the trouble, some 'tradesmen' cant differentiate between site bonus work and running a business work!
Is that including tea and ciggie breaks?
Old 22-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts

£100 is quite a good price I think, haven't been a chippy now for over 4 years but £100 back then all you would have got is your door hung.
Old 22-07-2010, 08:48 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

2 hours?
Load the tools up
get all the tools out
Set the casing up
Hang the door.
Clean up
Drive away.

right lee i'm gonna have a dig at you

you can load tools up,drive there,get tools out,put tools back in van and drive off in your time!(what i would say if i was paying).

you don't need to be vat registered to be a good tradesman.

and what trade are you ,i see you giving advise on Numerous trades so just wondered. i like my tradesmen to be masters at one thing!

please take this as banter as it is half that
Old 22-07-2010, 09:05 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dovboy
you can load tools up,drive there,get tools out,put tools back in van and drive off in your time!(what i would say if i was paying).
I would argue the tools should already be in the van, but - if you need to earn a set amount of money in a day, the whole amount needs to be split between the jobs done in that day. That includes travelling and unloading etc.

Put it the other way - if you were employed by a big company as a service engineer, and they told you you would need to clock off while you travelled and got set up for the job etc. what would you say? It would be a big fuck off...

All the company does is pass the cost on to the customer...
Old 22-07-2010, 09:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

mate of mines old man is a chippe and when we wanted a door put in after the extension he told us where to go and buy the kit and he'd fit it for us for a few quid

it took him about 3 hours all in to fit the frame and door and fiddle with the fittings etc and put the decoration around the outsides after shimming it all up

but this was a square'd up opening and everything was new so i suppose if you take into account the drive there and back it's an easy 5 hours when you put your tools in and out the van as well
Old 22-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
mate of mines old man is a chippe and when we wanted a door put in after the extension he told us where to go and buy the kit and he'd fit it for us for a few quid

it took him about 3 hours all in to fit the frame and door and fiddle with the fittings etc and put the decoration around the outsides after shimming it all up

but this was a square'd up opening and everything was new so i suppose if you take into account the drive there and back it's an easy 5 hours when you put your tools in and out the van as well
£100 then Dojj min for a self employed chippy, and dont forget thats plus tea and biccies

Steve

Steve
Old 22-07-2010, 09:27 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonstone Steve
£100 then Dojj min for a self employed chippy, and dont forget thats plus tea and biccies

Steve

Steve
probably mate

but he was doing it at mates rates so did it on his day off but we did have to supply the door frame, the door, the hinges and the handles so it's not a cheap job fitting a door when you throw in all the other bits as well as getting it fitted you'd be looking at no change from £200 per door
Old 22-07-2010, 09:35 PM
dangerousbrian

get everyone to do everything on the 'fiddle' then eh!

Pitty the spaz who did all that for 70 quid.
i always get people to do work on the fiddle for me when i can..why the fuck would i pay £100 for doing 1 frame when i can pay £70 for doing 4?
im guessing your only complaining because your a builder and you feel hard done by, because people do work for cheap..
also to add, i did feel a bit sorry for him doing that work for crap money which is why i always give the lads a tip for sorting me out a good price..but if hes got the time to do it then why not have the cash in his pocket instead of it going to someone else..the same happens in my trade but i dont kick up a fuss or whine about it..
Old 22-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by dovboy
right lee i'm gonna have a dig at you

you don't need to be vat registered to be a good tradesman.

and what trade are you ,i see you giving advise on Numerous trades so just wondered. i like my tradesmen to be masters at one thing!

please take this as banter as it is half that
I never mentioned any VAT.
Tools getting put in the van and getting to the job, paying for diesel, insurance, public liablity etc is all part of the business and has to be accounted for.

You are welcome to contact any of my customers i will glady give you the numbers via PM or even take a trip down to inspect my work to confirm as you asked i am a master craftsman and highly skilled in many trades. The trades i am not skilled in that i get other tradesmen in to do, but saying that i do know about, and have to know about those trades too to run a business correctly.

Like i say, theres running a business and being a self emplloyed tradesman. Very different.

Last edited by Lee Reynolds; 22-07-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 22-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by dangerousbrian
i always get people to do work on the fiddle for me when i can..why the fuck would i pay £100 for doing 1 frame when i can pay £70 for doing 4?
im guessing your only complaining because your a builder and you feel hard done by, because people do work for cheap..
also to add, i did feel a bit sorry for him doing that work for crap money which is why i always give the lads a tip for sorting me out a good price..but if hes got the time to do it then why not have the cash in his pocket instead of it going to someone else..the same happens in my trade but i dont kick up a fuss or whine about it..
Dont feel hard done by at all matey. I used to work on the side when i was employed. I think all tradesmen do it. Difference is when i worked on the side i still charged a decent rate, as why should i give MY spare time up to work for you for nothing?
Old 22-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Sorry but £70 for 4 doors and frames?

Times might be hard and prices lower than they were but i wouldnt do them for that! There is £160 - £180 there all day long.

Example... Im doing the 2nd fix on a extension this saturday. 4 doors ( all egg box, one bi fold), stop lats, 6 sets of arc and about 60m of skirt, nowt fancy just bullnose. Thats 200 sheets at mates rates.

And before you say thats way over this is for a builder and he had reckoned on the same before i even gave him the quote.

Gavin.
Old 22-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

BTW Dovboy. Going back to the VAT register. No decent reputable company is non VAT registered in this game. 64k per annum the VAT threshold, thats 2 semi decent 2 storey extensions!
Old 22-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Derby_Gav
Sorry but £70 for 4 doors and frames?

Times might be hard and prices lower than they were but i wouldnt do them for that! There is £160 - £180 there all day long.

Example... Im doing the 2nd fix on a extension this saturday. 4 doors ( all egg box, one bi fold), stop lats, 6 sets of arc and about 60m of skirt, nowt fancy just bullnose. Thats 200 sheets at mates rates.

And before you say thats way over this is for a builder and he had reckoned on the same before i even gave him the quote.

Gavin.
Nothing wrong with that mate.

You will always get people who will work for nothing, but to be honest the sort of people who get these people in to do them jobs for peanuts generally are not the sort of customer we want anyways.

All our work is by word of mouth, we get recommended for being meticulous and leaving the customer highly satisfied with the finished job at a decent price.

This is what we always set out to do! Or do people think we should be recommended for being 'cheap'? I think not....
Old 22-07-2010, 10:29 PM
dangerousbrian

i didnt expect it to be that cheap to be honest, was quite surprised..there was also a bit of mates rates included as he done the job for my dad in essence as they are mates..but i got a job done really well for next to nothing and he got a few quid in his pocket so we were both happy..nothing wrong with being known/recomended for being cheap, as long as the work is done well..i like to think i do my job as well as it possibly can be,or as good as anyone else, but charge less than anyone else.best of both worlds for the customer i think..
Old 22-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

To be fair mate, the guy who posted the topic asked for a guide on what it will cost to get the job done, not how much it will cost if he can discover a mate from somewhere who will then do it at best mate rates

Regarding the cheap thing, with tradesmen who are referred to as being cheap USUALLY are the shite ones so the stigma is there. Why are they cheap etc etc. Saying that paying a fortune does not guarantee you the best.
Old 22-07-2010, 10:42 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you get what you pay for.
Old 22-07-2010, 10:48 PM
dangerousbrian

yeah it went slightly off topic i agree...not being in the trade i was a little surprised at how much you said to expect..my bad..and i disagree with the comment you get what you pay for
Old 22-07-2010, 10:52 PM
smartrs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

my mate is a chippy and a very good one at that and he does all the carpentry on my house for about £150 a day mates rates which is very good rate for a days work as said above it may only be one door but its still time and time away from another paying job where the could be a whole days work for twice the money so i would say £100 is a good and fair price . you could always have ago your self and it will only cost your meterials but i'm guessing when its all gone wrong that same carpenter will be carging you a full days rate to come fix what you have broke lol.
Old 22-07-2010, 11:55 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I never mentioned any VAT.
Tools getting put in the van and getting to the job, paying for diesel, insurance, public liablity etc is all part of the business and has to be accounted for.

You are welcome to contact any of my customers i will glady give you the numbers via PM or even take a trip down to inspect my work to confirm as you asked i am a master craftsman and highly skilled in many trades. The trades i am not skilled in that i get other tradesmen in to do, but saying that i do know about, and have to know about those trades too to run a business correctly.

Like i say, theres running a business and being a self emplloyed tradesman. Very different.
and you have served an apprenticeship in each of these trades you are highly skilled at?

forget the vat bit lee i was only winding
i know the script where that is concerned and agree with you.
it was aimed at this realy..

"This is the trouble, some 'tradesmen' cant differentiate between site bonus work and running a business work!"

all i was saying is that you might be able to get a perfectly good tradesman for 50 quid for 2 hrs on his way home from work.

try getting him out of bed for 50 on a saturday tho and it would be a different story.

p.s i have seen your work on here and can see its good quality.

Last edited by dovboy; 22-07-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 23-07-2010, 12:02 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and lee you cant say 'tradesmen' as tho they are not able to provide as good a job because they are not a buisness.
Old 23-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

When i say 'tradesmen' like that mate it is in reference to self employed house bashers who basically are shite. I have never come across a decent tradesman on a housing site in the 16 years ive been in the trade.
What i mean about the difference between tradesmen and being in business is tradesmen, like above, always quote prices like they are on site.....''oh the going rate for this is 30 quid a door'' or '' its 300 quid a thousand''.....but it dont work like that in business. You cant quote for work like that. Thats like the bloke who can service a car on his drive for 60 quid comparing himself to the dealership. It doesnt always mean the guy on the drive isnt doing as good as if not better job - but the comparrison between quotes can't be made.

I would never usually say anything about my skills mate, but you asked so i replied. I'm a time served bricklayer by trade and self taught in all other aspects but i did do an old style apprenticeship where i learned a lot of the basics of other trades then.
I know where youre coming from with the 'jack of all trades and good at none' banter lol and it can be very true, but i can assure you i would not say it and i certainley would not do jobs for paying customers if i wasnt what i say i am - highly skilled. Its all pride Dovboy as i love the building trade
Old 23-07-2010, 08:41 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When i say 'tradesmen' like that mate it is in reference to self employed house bashers who basically are shite. I have never come across a decent tradesman on a housing site in the 16 years ive been in the trade.
What i mean about the difference between tradesmen and being in business is tradesmen, like above, always quote prices like they are on site.....''oh the going rate for this is 30 quid a door'' or '' its 300 quid a thousand''.....but it dont work like that in business. You cant quote for work like that. Thats like the bloke who can service a car on his drive for 60 quid comparing himself to the dealership. It doesnt always mean the guy on the drive isnt doing as good as if not better job - but the comparrison between quotes can't be made.

I would never usually say anything about my skills mate, but you asked so i replied. I'm a time served bricklayer by trade and self taught in all other aspects but i did do an old style apprenticeship where i learned a lot of the basics of other trades then.
I know where youre coming from with the 'jack of all trades and good at none' banter lol and it can be very true, but i can assure you i would not say it and i certainley would not do jobs for paying customers if i wasnt what i say i am - highly skilled. Its all pride Dovboy as i love the building trade
i was realy just picking fault with what you had said.

i can see what you are saying about your trade and your skills in others.

my brother and dad are good joiners and if i'm helping them out with a job i can hold my own but i put that down to having pride in your work.

having pride in your work can take you quite far.

disapointing to hear that you haven't came across a good sight joiner in the last 16 years,i know a few and the proof of there worth is that they are still working and making good money while the others have been pushed out onto the dole.
Old 23-07-2010, 08:42 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, simples.
but then again im too tight to pay anyone to do anything, so it all gets done by me and a few mates, if it turns out to be a good job then thats a bonus
Old 23-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

The only 'site' trades i have come across Dovboy that have been decent are the ones who work for the smaller company that build the few select houses. The generall ones like Barratt etc i have never seen any including those what have worked on my house!

Good to hear you take pride mate as in my expierience it is a rare thing it seems
Old 23-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

In my world - which I seem to do ok in - I pay trades men £80 - £100 a day to do what I want.

A proper joiner - who can do a proper kitchen work top will get £125 a day ( But I dont know him personally)

The plasterer gets £130 a day or a price to do what I want. For £130 he can usually do a medium sized bedroom (walls and ceiling) or around 7 bags of board finish.

All that is plus materials which I buy and I make sure each chap has a full day to go at or its a waste of my money.

I appreciate some people may pay more and thats up to them.

Personally having fitted 4 doors last weekend with my dad into 4 old wonky door frames anything more than £100 is taking the piss - neither of us is a trained chippy and we fitted 4 brand new doors solid (soft) wood with hinges using chisels and an electric plane.
Old 23-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The only 'site' trades i have come across Dovboy that have been decent are the ones who work for the smaller company that build the few select houses. The generall ones like Barratt etc i have never seen any including those what have worked on my house!

Good to hear you take pride mate as in my expierience it is a rare thing it seems
We refuse to take ' House bashers ' any more...... very rarely do they work to commercial standards.
Old 24-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

It is the average wage per day up here tbh Jake. I pay my plasterer £130 a day and the electrician works for around the same, but i generally get a price off them first, worked into approximate days it will take.
Old 24-07-2010, 09:46 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is the average wage per day up here tbh Jake. I pay my plasterer £130 a day and the electrician works for around the same, but i generally get a price off them first, worked into approximate days it will take.

bang on with what my dads paying his atm, although he pays his sparky prob half of that

Quick Reply: FAO Passionford Joiners