General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Domestic Main Electric Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 18-07-2010 | 08:56 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Default Domestic Main Electric Question.....

We have to get our Electric Main moved, for various reasons, but its a bit of a conundrum. We plan to build a detached Garage that will stand fairly close to the Electric pole that our mains cable comes in on, before it passes over the top of our garden and to our Bungalow.

Now, because the new Garage will be close to the pole (although entirely detached and separate from the Bungalow), is it acceptable for the Electric Main to come off the pole and into the new Garage, with the Meter there, then from there, to the Consumer Unit in the Bungalow (probably underground)? I imagine it would be, but someone on here must have some clue?
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:21 AM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Contact your supplier, only they have that answer mate.
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:38 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

bet that wont be cheap either
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:42 AM
Jay246
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

16mm armoured cable is around £5 per metre so you can work out your costs for that as you would need to run this from your meter to your consumer unit. Then you just want a price from the supplier for relocating you metre to your garage.
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:47 AM
stevenebm
post whore

id say that should be fine but itl probably cost more to do that than build the garage
Old 18-07-2010 | 10:00 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Gonna be cheaper to run a supply from ya house to garage than other way round chap

They will give a price for altering it but sit down first before you read final figures from them,ya sparky and bloke digging trench (tho you will need one anyway)

Good luck
Old 18-07-2010 | 10:06 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They'll probably want an external meter box fitting, and you'll have to have your own isolator in the garage which you can then use to split a feed to the bungalow and new consumer unit for the garage.

I'd guess that the cost of installing new supply, removing old overheads, relocate meter in a box supplied by you and then your costs to re-feed your existing consumer unit are going to get close to £3k.

But you'd still have to feed the garage from the bungalow if you didn't move the incomer.

Trending Topics

Old 18-07-2010 | 11:34 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Well, put it this way. The supply comes in from the pole to our Fascia currently and passes over the top of where we plan to build the garage. We need it off the Fascia as we plan to get those done too, so we have to have a go with EDF Energy in terms of having the supply moved. So, we had them round a year or so ago and based on us laying the conduit underground and either running the cable through it, or putting a chaser in there, so all they have to do is take the overhead cable down and connect the new one at each end via the underground conduit we had already laid, they were talking hundreds, not thousands.

Essentially, what I'm after here is, instead of running the new supply cable all the way to the Bungalow, running it only to the Garage, which is approximately 10 feet from the pole, not 30-40 feet to the Bungalow. I assume that they would connect it to the new meter, which can be in an external box if needed, but in the Garage (or outside it), then I can deal with the wiring from the new Meter (using a normal domestic Sparky), by way of armoured cable (in conduit or not) to the Bungalow.

In my mind, it sounds like an equal amount of work for them, if not less. It's certainly less cable that they would have to supply. Does that make more sense?
Old 18-07-2010 | 11:51 AM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Some silly figures being posted but i guess it depends on supplier. We did an extension 2 years ago, this was overhead fed and to the gable. The meter was put into a new cavity box that we built in on the new gable and they charged £650, this included mounting the meter and altering the cables.
Old 18-07-2010 | 12:04 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Some silly figures being posted but i guess it depends on supplier. We did an extension 2 years ago, this was overhead fed and to the gable. The meter was put into a new cavity box that we built in on the new gable and they charged £650, this included mounting the meter and altering the cables.
I was referring to TOTAL cost.

There's was a cost involved in you fitting and supplying the box, I assume.

Just as there is also a cost in digging a trench, laying the duct, installing a cable to the bungalow and connections each end.

The basic cost will depend on whether EDF want to call it a new supply or not.
Old 18-07-2010 | 04:42 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Not 2.5ks worth though pal.
Old 18-07-2010 | 07:08 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not 2.5ks worth though pal.

You'd be surprised fella,my mate got quoted 17.5k to put a supply into his shop from a neighbouring property!!!!
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:09 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

That is VERY cheap ! they deffo know how to charge usually, most ive seen for a domestic 3 phase supply was £35,000
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:14 PM
j6kyt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i cost me £400 to have an electric box relocated the supplier only do the supply to the meter then a domestic electrician will have to connect to the consumer unit.
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:17 PM
SPARKER
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The distance of tails (main cables) between the meter and your mains board cannot be any longer than 3 Meters bud. It aint very long and is a pain in the arse!
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:27 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by danneth
That is VERY cheap ! they deffo know how to charge usually, most ive seen for a domestic 3 phase supply was £35,000
Oh yeah i know mate, last job we did they charged £1200 and that was a simpler move than the other i mentioned! Different supplier n all that.
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:35 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by SPARKER
The distance of tails (main cables) between the meter and your mains board cannot be any longer than 3 Meters bud. It aint very long and is a pain in the arse!
Switched Isolator at the side of the meter and the jobs jobbed. Run any length of suitable cable from there then to the consumer unit.
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:43 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

fuck me if you are thinking of paying those prices

when we had out meter moved from one wall to the other, including them coming out and shutting the power down, moving the meter from one wall to the other, putting up new boards and all that sort of shit, we paid £30 so where these prices are coming from i have no idea

ok, so we only moved it from one wall to another in the same room, the bit under the stairs had a wooden partition and we took it off that and put it onto the brickwork

perhaps it's different up north but we had ours done by southern electric who we were with at the time

i'll try and find the bill but we'd already had the extension built and all the wiring was ready to go, just needed to move the meter and refit the fusebox and then get them to power up the main box, then run power to the second one, 4 feet away and we were thinking it was going to cost millions but they said there was a basic price to move a meter and it was £30

mind you, this was only about 5 years ago
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:46 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Sounds like you dropped on Dojj. I have had many meters gas and electric moved over the last 4 years and the cheapest was the £650 one.
Old 18-07-2010 | 09:54 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

i would think that, in this case, wouldn't it be easiest to wire everything up and then just leave the electric company to come and hook up the mains and move the meter?

or would that leave them without power while they demolished the rest of the property?

or is this now against elf and safety?
Old 19-07-2010 | 06:09 PM
teamfatboy
Frog Tosser

Originally Posted by SPARKER
Wrong.

Switched Isolator at the side of the meter and the jobs jobbed. Run any length of suitable cable from there then to the consumer unit.
Very right
Old 21-07-2010 | 09:29 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Sorted anything Christian?