General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

injectors recoded

Search this Thread

Old 13-07-2010, 10:45 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sdk72
no code faults showing hence my question - turbo actuator, what be that then !
Not what's causing you to cut out
Old 13-07-2010, 10:49 AM
sdk72
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Still injectors. Does it go into limp if you're a bit heavy footed, or at random? Injector/pump issues tend to go into limp if you accelerate firmly. Or does it still do it if you're really gentle with it? Worst case scenario is that it 'could' be the pump.

Could be time to trade it in, or punt it through an auction!

Not on a 2002 TDCi, they have 'mechanical' actuators, and don't log any fault codes.
more so when i apply firm acceleration - best place to trade herr in
Old 13-07-2010, 11:02 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

more so when i apply firm acceleration - best place to trade herr in
Yup, definitely fueling related. The problem is that you could find yourself chasing faults and it gets very expensive, very quickly. A new pump and injectors would probably resolve it, but I'd doubt you'd find a garage who would guarantee it as a total fix, and you could be in to the tune of Ł1500.

Two guys at work have the same problem. One sold the car back on, the other guy has just learnt to drive it in such a manner that it doesn't do it!
Old 13-07-2010, 03:14 PM
sdk72

oh dear. got my mate to have a look at the turbo as I told him actuator might be faulty. well he said he started to undo a nut and it was real tight, and then - snap. he wants to drill it with reverse drill bits. is this right???? more so will it work?
Old 13-07-2010, 03:17 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

oh dear. got my mate to have a look at the turbo as I told him actuator might be faulty. well he said he started to undo a nut and it was real tight, and then - snap. he wants to drill it with reverse drill bits. is this right???? more so will it work?
Really don't think your issues are actuator related - You'd get a lack of performance, and the car would feel really flat.

What's actually snapped? The bolt holding the actuator to the turbo housing?
Old 13-07-2010, 03:18 PM
sdk72

dunno. sat at my desk at work with head in hands
Old 13-07-2010, 03:19 PM
sdk72

just phoned him. he took the plate off and there are 4 bolts holding turbo in place. one of them !
Old 13-07-2010, 03:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

just phoned him. he took the plate off and there are 4 bolts holding turbo in place. one of them !
There are four bolts holding the turbo to the downpipe, and 8 bolts holding the manifold to the block.

If it's a downpipe bolt, that's not too bad, as you can just put another bolt through it, but if it's the other bolts...
Old 13-07-2010, 03:57 PM
sdk72

four bolts holding the turbo to the downpipe - its that he says. he said the actuator is free and not moving and was checking to see if any shit in turbo
Old 13-07-2010, 05:10 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

what was said in reply to my post is correct its the later tdci's 04 etc that have the v common p132a actuator prob which by the way you cannot buy, you have to buy the whole turbo lol
Old 13-07-2010, 06:12 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by billybigspuds
what was said in reply to my post is correct its the later tdci's 04 etc that have the v common p132a actuator prob which by the way you cannot buy, you have to buy the whole turbo lol
I'm not disputing that, but we're talking about an 02 Mondeo.
Old 13-07-2010, 06:18 PM
sdk72

right actuator moves freely when revving. so jumped in took for a rag up the road was like shit off a shovel , no limp mode no smoke, no loss of power. runs fine. till next time !!!! what can cause this randomness, if it was every time then fair enough. doin my swede in
Old 13-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Gadget
Spanner monkey

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, had my injectors rebuilt with new control valves, fitted, recoded and now it feels quite flat and loads of black smoke on accelleration!!
Back at Fords again today, the master tech wants to try a leak off test to check that the injectors definatly are working as they should.
Strange though as now, i can boot it as much as i want in 4th and 5th and it will not hit limp mode so somethings better but still not right!
Considering selling it now!
Old 13-07-2010, 06:31 PM
sdk72

it s a f*ckin american conspiracy to wind us up. have they not seen our national football team. cant take anymore
Old 13-07-2010, 06:44 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[QUOTE=DanW@FastFord;4985287]Had loads of aggro with injectors, even though car had had Ł1800 worth of pump and injectors just before I bought it and car's only done 78K miles. Developed v.bad diesel knock and smoking on start-up a month later. Delphi tested the injectors and said they were fine, yet swapping two cured the knock and reduced the smoke!! Cost me Ł600, and it's still not quite right now.

Plus I've got a serious boost leak and can't find it, despite stripping the car and swapping just about everything... no fault codes, and non of the usual suspects are at fault. Plus I've got a hub nut that works its way loose no matter what we do, and takes out wheel bearings which are Ł60 a pop. I'm on my third bearing, and 5th hubnut. Got an outer CV to swap in next, so fingers crossed for that.

Hi dan,please correct me if I'm talking arse but Iirc is this the mondeo from fast ford,estate that you bought back from the insurance company after a light bump?I seem to remember you changing suspension components of some type in the mag feature which maybe where your cv problems are coming from.I've had the same thing before and it ended up with me changing every component
near enough yet still had no joy.I ended up getting a full leg from the inner cv back to the strut and it totally cured my problems,surprising sometimes how a knock can affect things like a hub or even just slightly knock the shaft out of true.they'll be pence in the scrappy by now as well. Hope it helps.
Old 13-07-2010, 09:33 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I'm 99% certain it's the drive flange. We changed the hub when swapping the dampers (as the pinch bolt was rusted solid) The problems started then so it's the hub that's at fault! Just waiting on another eBay hub to turn up - just hope this one isn't knackered too!
Old 13-07-2010, 10:24 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm 99% certain it's the drive flange. We changed the hub when swapping the dampers (as the pinch bolt was rusted solid) The problems started then so it's the hub that's at fault! Just waiting on another eBay hub to turn up - just hope this one isn't knackered too!
Sounds about right.are they the same on all models?may know for one on an 1.8 petrol?Was I right about the crash as well or is that part of my excessive imagination!!!!
Old 14-07-2010, 08:55 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by vaughant
Sounds about right.are they the same on all models?may know for one on an 1.8 petrol?Was I right about the crash as well or is that part of my excessive imagination!!!!
Not sure if they're the same. Might be a bit more 'heavy duty' on the diesel.

Yes I did crash it!
Old 14-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

right actuator moves freely when revving. so jumped in took for a rag up the road was like shit off a shovel , no limp mode no smoke, no loss of power. runs fine. till next time !!!! what can cause this randomness, if it was every time then fair enough. doin my swede in
Hello mate. Sorry to hear of you problems with the Mundano. What mileage has she done if you don't mind me asking?
Old 14-07-2010, 11:37 AM
sdk72

156000 miles & drives like a dream. when it feels like it !
Old 14-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

I bet you a naked virgin nymphomaniac Jessica Biel clone (that's what I'd like) (and also gives everyone a nice mental image to ponder )that it's nothing to do with your injectors or any of the other very expensive components so far mentioned.
My guess is that it will be your Go pedal. Throttle/ accelerator pedal.
It in principle is like a Scalextric Trigger. A pick up point (on the actual pedal) and then an area of contacts which is 'swept' by the pick up point, giving reference to the pedal's position. 150000 miles is a lot of sweeping back and forth, or wear, at these contacts.
I'd guess also that's why the fault, loss of power and glow plug light flashing, is so sporadic. There will be area's of the contacts which are worse than others, and when you linger over them (say pedal at 3 quarters throttle) they will give an inconclusive signal of pedal/throttle position and protect the car/limp mode will come in.
Some on here are very likely to explain it much more technically correctly, but the general gist will be the same.
I think you can get them from ford for about Ł85.
I wouldn't put a used or non gen one on.
Hope you find this helpful mate
Old 14-07-2010, 12:45 PM
sdk72

so if it isnt the scalextric pedal do I get a jesscia biel clone in the buff for my troubles. i cannae lose
Old 14-07-2010, 12:52 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Captain Cotswold
I bet you a naked virgin nymphomaniac Jessica Biel clone (that's what I'd like) (and also gives everyone a nice mental image to ponder )that it's nothing to do with your injectors or any of the other very expensive components so far mentioned.
My guess is that it will be your Go pedal. Throttle/ accelerator pedal.
It in principle is like a Scalextric Trigger. A pick up point (on the actual pedal) and then an area of contacts which is 'swept' by the pick up point, giving reference to the pedal's position. 150000 miles is a lot of sweeping back and forth, or wear, at these contacts.
I'd guess also that's why the fault, loss of power and glow plug light flashing, is so sporadic. There will be area's of the contacts which are worse than others, and when you linger over them (say pedal at 3 quarters throttle) they will give an inconclusive signal of pedal/throttle position and protect the car/limp mode will come in.
Some on here are very likely to explain it much more technically correctly, but the general gist will be the same.
I think you can get them from ford for about Ł85.
I wouldn't put a used or non gen one on.
Hope you find this helpful mate
Hmmm... not at all convinced by that. I've known people fix the same fault with a new pump. I've never known anyone to fix it with the TPS or throttle pedal arrangement. Unless you know different...

Now where do I claim my free Jessica clone?
Old 14-07-2010, 01:29 PM
sdk72

i'll have a look either way. cheers captain, totally off the cuff that one. could be a gem. we'll see
Old 14-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Would you believe it!! My clone press is low on clone juice so I can only make half.. Top or bottom??

Seems strange that with new injectors, cleaned and checked injectors, leak off tests, new pumps, actuators being questioned, and all the other idea's offered, people still seem to be suffering, and paying a premium to do so.

But yes, I had same issue on slightly older car. Suggestions of coding injectors, egr faults, pumps going down etc etc, I was thinking either the egr or a cam sensor fault, something along those lines, but no. New throttle pedal from Ford and no recurrence of problem for at least 5 months now.
The car would drive fine, say on the dual carriageway and then suddenly loss of all power, not throttle response and glow plug light flashing. Got quite well practiced at dipping the clutch, turning ign off & on and restarting. This always cleared the fault, but it was pot luck whether it happened again immediately or not til the next journey and so on.
This threw me off as for this fault, ford literature indicated that the glow plug light would come on with constant illumination to indicate throttle fault.
Have faith, it's the pedal.
Old 14-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Oh and not the TPS, (throttle position sensor). I know I mentioned throttle but I didn't mean that.
It is the actual accelerator pedal assembly, it has a large (by comparison) plug to it with about 16 or so pins, and 2 10mm nuts holding the pedal housing to your bulkhead. It should be a 5 minute swap.
Old 14-07-2010, 01:47 PM
sdk72

Got quite well practiced at dipping the clutch, turning ign off & on and restarting. This always cleared the fault, but it was pot luck whether it happened again immediately or not til the next journey and so on.
exactly. bit hairy at first on the motorway but then it becomes kinda fun. i'll have a mooch at it cant do any harm
Old 14-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Hmmm... not at all convinced by that. I've known people fix the same fault with a new pump. I've never known anyone to fix it with the TPS or throttle pedal arrangement. Unless you know different...

Quality, and I understand your scepticism..

Here's the science bit... lol

If the pedal is the 'conductor'
And the engine and fuel system is the 'orchestra'

No matter how shiney, and well calibrated and programmed all the components and parts of your orchestra are, if your conductor isn't doing his crazy arm wavey dance in the correct way, then your orchestra will suck / Not perform correctly.

It doesn't sound very scientific, but then neither does "Here's Ł600 of my hard earned wedge. You've cleaned my injectors so my spray pattern is now the bomb, but my car does still keep going into limp mode so where have you helped me?? And yes, we could 'try new injectors and pump at Ł1500' but I don't really want you guess work emptying my wallet at that rate, thanks all the same.
I don't guarantee what I describe is the fault you have, but bare in mind, I had the same symptom, I spent less than Ł100, and the car is now 'fixed'. I just wanted to share the potential helpful advice.
Old 19-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Here you go buddy, this came up after we yapped about it.
https://passionford.com/forum/techni...ight-help.html

What with you saying you hadn't come across the fix before...
Old 19-07-2010, 11:39 AM
sdk72

getting this checked out tomorrow. guy at the garage said he's heard of this before. fingers crossed!!!!!!!!
Old 19-07-2010, 03:23 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

was trying to recode some injectors today with my snapon mt2500

i seem toi remember reading somewere to code em for cylinder no 1 you do 3 2 you do 4, 3 you do 1, 4 you do 2

is this correct? we were trying to problem solve one, cam sensor made big differnece even though no fault codes were present for it

another one i have int he workshiop showing p0251, commmon for pumps etc, changed the filter no difference, but no swarf in the fuel present

these mondeos are a reet pain int he arse
Old 19-07-2010, 08:59 PM
rs_turbo_tony
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by billybigspuds
was trying to recode some injectors today with my snapon mt2500

i seem toi remember reading somewere to code em for cylinder no 1 you do 3 2 you do 4, 3 you do 1, 4 you do 2

is this correct? we were trying to problem solve one, cam sensor made big differnece even though no fault codes were present for it

another one i have int he workshiop showing p0251, commmon for pumps etc, changed the filter no difference, but no swarf in the fuel present

these mondeos are a reet pain int he arse
in firing order 1-3-4-2 mate
Old 19-07-2010, 09:38 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

oh hmmn ok, so on the scanner 1 is 1, 2 is 3's injector 16 digit no, ,3 is 4 and 4 is 2?

interesting, ill try that moro
Old 20-07-2010, 02:15 PM
sdk72

Here you go buddy, this came up after we yapped about it.
https://passionford.com/forum/techni...ight-help.html

What with you saying you hadn't come across the fix before...
had it on diagnostics and no faults found at all. not even in limp mode so going to try and locate a not to knackered pedal assembly for trialling to see if its that. not sure i can spend another blind 85 squids on her. will let you know tho !

S
Old 20-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

had it on diagnostics and no faults found at all. not even in limp mode so going to try and locate a not to knackered pedal assembly for trialling to see if its that. not sure i can spend another blind 85 squids on her. will let you know tho !

S

Lol It's always really helpful when you get your car plugged in and it comes back with an 'all good' response....
Best of luck with it mate.
Old 20-07-2010, 02:21 PM
sdk72

i know. hows that work? it says my cars all good and its in limp mode. cheers for the help pal.
Old 20-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Kevinm
Virgin

Default Mondeo TDCi

You have pm.
Old 21-07-2010, 05:09 PM
sdk72

danW. captainC, kevinm - muchos gracias for your insights, thoughts and most of all , help with what I can only call a nightmare of an issue!
As usual am at work and my pal is doing the leg work on this car. Following on from no fault codes he scampered down to the scrap yard and promptly borrowed a pedal assembly for the tdci. Which was nice - a 5 min job and off he trots up n down the motorway, tryin his damnedest to get limp mode back. not a sniff,he said it pulls like a train, and maxed it out at around 1** ph. cough. anyway. its appparently tip top again, on way home now as seeing is believing and i'll TEST it myself. if true all i can say is what a result and cheers. S
Old 21-07-2010, 05:11 PM
sdk72

still not convinced like.
Old 21-07-2010, 08:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I REALLY REALLY hope it is the fix - However I've heard time and time again of people changing something, which then cures the car for a week or so, then it rears it's head.

Please let us know how you get on. I've properly got my finger's crossed for you, and if it works, you owe Captain Cotswold a pint!!!

Quick Reply: injectors recoded