General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ST200, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 21-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST200, any good?

I'm really thinking about getting one at the moment, i want a nice comfy 4/5 door car and they seem to tick pretty much all the boxs for me.

What are they like to live with? I understand fuel wont be great but i can live with that, any common probelms to look out for?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Mike Kerbey
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

They are a good car, especially for the money!

Watch out for sticky IMRC's, they often fail to open up as they should and make the car feel slow.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Saaamon

Originally Posted by Mike Kerbey
They are a good car, especially for the money!

Watch out for sticky IMRC's, they often fail to open up as they should and make the car feel slow.
Is there a good way to tell if there stuck or will it just feel slow? Is it an easy fix?
Old 21-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Mike Kerbey

And its a good idea to upgrade the water pump because the original has a plastic impeller and falls apart!
Old 21-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Mike Kerbey

I think they open at about 3-4k rpm, you will notice a step in power if they are working correclty. Best fix is the buy a replacment controller
Old 21-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Saaamon

Great cheers for that
Old 21-06-2010, 08:10 PM
MrBroadside

I loved mine fantastic cars, as above really

Trending Topics

Old 21-06-2010, 08:11 PM
melinamotor
Farpylee

Check the a/c condenser for rot, enjoyed owning mine, shame you were not in the market for one in Feb this year I had spent a few grand getting her mint.Part exd it for £1200 in the end The 200 had other upgrades not just performance parts over the 24 including wish bones etc the water pump impellor was also made from different grade plastic to the 24. Nice car really enjoyed mine.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:18 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The water pump should already be uprated as the ST200 is a later run of the V6 Mondo... although, for peace of mind, its not big wedge to get a new one and fit it.

I had one and loved it. I was averaging 28mpg in mine, with mostly short runs around the place, on the motorway at 70-80 it would do low 30s without much hassle. I also removed the resonator box, fitted an uprated panel filter fitted and it sounded amazing low down... really grunty.

They also offer lots of lift-off oversteer on a wet roundabout. I know, random fact.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21-06-2010, 08:25 PM
THOR
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

yeah they are a good buy, if you can strech to it try an ST200 ltd, it's only available in saloon form and has different interior, but otherwise is the same.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:26 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

mine was nice until the timing chain tensioners failed ended up flogging the car on as spares or repair,only paid £1350 for it 2 and a half years ago and got 700 quid for it as scrap..

steve
Old 21-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Saaamon

A limited edtion one would be nice and miss's loves the 4door ones but its just trying to find one, don't wont to get to hung up on getting a ltd model and end up missing good deals.

The youth, i don't think thats bad money you got for it considering the damage. How much would it of been to replace the tensioners? Is it an engine out job?

Last edited by Saaamon; 21-06-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:35 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes m8 nasty job, easier to take the engine out then even the sump has to come off, I had already bought an st tdci anyway so wasn't bothered.

the new owner got 7 miles down the road before the engine let go!

steve
Old 21-06-2010, 08:48 PM
THOR
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Saaamon
A limited edtion one would be nice and miss's loves the 4door ones but its just trying to find one, don't wont to get to hung up on getting a ltd model and end up missing good deals.

The youth, i don't think thats bad money you got for it considering the damage. How much would it of been to replace the tensioners? Is it an engine out job?
yeah I agree mate, a ltd is very nice and demands around an extra 1k over the other ST200, however in the real world a regular ST200 is just as good.
Old 21-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Simmo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great cars imo!

Had ours over a year now and have been very impressed, got the estate version because of a large dog and a baby on the way, and hasn't let us down. I prefer the estates and they seem rarer than the saloons now too! Front wishbones are common fail points and are £200 a pair plus labour. Ours has done 131k now and runs like a dream, is very comfortable, and safe for the little'n...

...will be selling at the end of the year for an ST TDCi though
Old 21-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Saaamon

Originally Posted by Simmo
Great cars imo!

Had ours over a year now and have been very impressed, got the estate version because of a large dog and a baby on the way, and hasn't let us down. I prefer the estates and they seem rarer than the saloons now too! Front wishbones are common fail points and are £200 a pair plus labour. Ours has done 131k now and runs like a dream, is very comfortable, and safe for the little'n...

...will be selling at the end of the year for an ST TDCi though
Getting some very positive feedback, quite surprised
Old 21-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Simmo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting some very positive feedback, quite surprised
I was surprised when we bought it tbh; paid £1500 for it and it's been so much car for the money it's unreal, the wife loves it and doesn't want to get rid of it lol
Old 21-06-2010, 10:02 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there a good way to tell if there stuck or will it just feel slow? Is it an easy fix?
You can see the 'secondaries' open if you look in the engine bay and rev it past 3000. You should feel it get more lively when you drive it too. It's not as big a shove as a VTEC (Yo!) but it should be noticeable.

Originally Posted by Mike Kerbey
And its a good idea to upgrade the water pump because the original has a plastic impeller and falls apart!
No need. That affected the early cars and not the 200. It's become a bit of a (forum spread) urban myth.

Try to get one that doesn't make an audible revs related ticking noise. At best its the exhaust manifold gasket, as worst it's the head gasket. It blows to atmosphere, so there are no other tell tale signs, no oil in the water, no smoke etc.

I got rid of mine because it had niggly problems and was just too thirsty (20-23mpg). I broke it for more than I paid it for, as there are always ST24 owners looking to upgrade to 200 bits. As a result it's a safe bet even if it does pack up.

As said wishbones are unique to the 200, so aren't cheap, although you could always just replace the balljoints which would work out cheaper.

Good car though, just buy wisely and be patient looking for an enthusiast owned low miler, rather than a leggy abused one. They're dirt cheap, for what they are too.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There very good cars if looked after. common issues, plugs, leads and coil pack leading to missfires, TPS failure leading to running lumpy, IMRC failure leading to no power over 3.5K revs, they like to spin the shells if you drive them hard and corner at high revs and the oil level isnt kept to maximum or just above. listen for a ticking sound coming from the heads, can point to headgasket failure, and being a mondeo, check the bottom arms, the 200 arms are specific to the 200 and cost a retarded amount, about £130 a side. bar that, there really good cars, and there cheap as chips these days.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Saaamon

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
You can see the 'secondaries' open if you look in the engine bay and rev it past 3000. You should feel it get more lively when you drive it too. It's not as big a shove as a VTEC (Yo!) but it should be noticeable.

No need. That affected the early cars and not the 200. It's become a bit of a (forum spread) urban myth.

Try to get one that doesn't make an audible revs related ticking noise. At best its the exhaust manifold gasket, as worst it's the head gasket. It blows to atmosphere, so there are no other tell tale signs, no oil in the water, no smoke etc.

I got rid of mine because it had niggly problems and was just too thirsty (20-23mpg). I broke it for more than I paid it for, as there are always ST24 owners looking to upgrade to 200 bits. As a result it's a safe bet even if it does pack up.

As said wishbones are unique to the 200, so aren't cheap, although you could always just replace the balljoints which would work out cheaper.

Good car though, just buy wisely and be patient looking for an enthusiast owned low miler, rather than a leggy abused one. They're dirt cheap, for what they are too.
So should there be no ticking at all coming from under the bonnet? And if there is should i walk away? 20-23mpg surely not that bad ..
Old 21-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So should there be no ticking at all coming from under the bonnet? And if there is should i walk away? 20-23mpg surely not that bad ..

It ticking isnt guaranteed HG failure, it could be any number of things, but the HG tick is very loud and distinctive, so you should spot it. i know a lad who swore blind he had a ticking and his HG was on its way, it turned out to be a knackered exhaust manifold gasket.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:31 PM
melinamotor
Farpylee

Originally Posted by Fiddy
It ticking isnt guaranteed HG failure, it could be any number of things, but the HG tick is very loud and distinctive, so you should spot it. i know a lad who swore blind he had a ticking and his HG was on its way, it turned out to be a knackered exhaust manifold gasket.

This statement is true enough, mine had a tick that turned out to be a cracked manifold, welded for £30, sorted
Old 21-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Saaamon

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Is it a common thing for headgaskets to let go? This has started to worry me abit now.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:43 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the headgaskets went on the v6 because of the failed water pump impellers, as said the st200 has the far better plastic impeller which is pretty good so don't worry about the headgaskets.
If it rattles for a couple of seconds from cold that is the chain tensioners on there way...RUN LIKE FOOK!!!! mine did this for 3 weeks then went bang

steve
Old 22-06-2010, 06:27 AM
bookwyse

Cant really add anything to the above except that they are fun to drive and will go forever if they are looked after. We run a pair of them a common hatch and a rare estate. The saloons outnumber the estate even though it is the saloon that is badged as a limited edition.

If you are close to the Kent border then I am only in Sittingbourne and am more than willing to take you out in ours to show you what they go like and also point out any potential problems you may encounter. I have been running 200's for over 5 years now so know them like the back of my hand.

Jeff
Old 22-06-2010, 12:57 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

That was being careful too. The MPG was shocking on mine, and was disproportionate to the performance. You will get some ticking from the injectors, but the dreaded 'V6 Tick' is very noticeable.

Originally Posted by the youth
the headgaskets went on the v6 because of the failed water pump impellers, as said the st200 has the far better plastic impeller
which is pretty good so don't worry about the headgaskets.
The issue isn't related to overheating - it's a design flaw, where there's a very thin bit of gasket and the cylinder blows out to atmosphere. It can happen at any mileage - some go at silly low miles, like 50K, and others are fine over 180K. It's a really distinctive tick, and a lot of cars suffer from it. However, the can go on for miles miles like it, as there's no water/oil mixing etc.
Old 22-06-2010, 01:06 PM
steve st220
"SNIFF MY DIFF"

save a bit more cash and buy a ST220
Old 22-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I like the ST200,s get on bought.The ST220s are a good car but i wouldnt wanna pay 400 quid tax.
Old 22-06-2010, 01:25 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
That was being careful too. The MPG was shocking on mine, and was disproportionate to the performance. You will get some ticking from the injectors, but the dreaded 'V6 Tick' is very noticeable.

The issue isn't related to overheating - it's a design flaw, where there's a very thin bit of gasket and the cylinder blows out to atmosphere. It can happen at any mileage - some go at silly low miles, like 50K, and others are fine over 180K. It's a really distinctive tick, and a lot of cars suffer from it. However, the can go on for miles miles like it, as there's no water/oil mixing etc.
there were 2 reasons the HG went mine and yours, I used to break v6 mondeo's and nearly all had headgasket issues some ticked and some had knackered water pumps, one I bought I changed the water pump (it was spinning on the shaft) and ran it as a daily driver for 3 years and sold it still going strong (with a tick) at 187 k

steve
Old 22-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I quite like them, really good friend has one and loves it, we both drove to the TT last month and back from liver pool averaged 36mpg in his st200 and eventually 37mpg in my 328, they both went very well, essentially as quick as one another, mines cheaper and his sounds better lol

You can't really go wrong with them, they are wrong wheel drive, but apart from that they're a quality car. Got to say tho, an x-type jag with the 4wd and better v6 (same engine, more powerful and apparently economical) could be a better bet, fairly cheap (not as cheap) but probably a better car (my own opinion)....

Rob,
Old 22-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Then people will look at the jag and call it a mondeo.Or they will call you a oor jag owner lol.
Old 22-06-2010, 08:37 PM
steve st220
"SNIFF MY DIFF"

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
I like the ST200,s get on bought.The ST220s are a good car but i wouldnt wanna pay 400 quid tax.
400 quid tax is for 05 plate and up mate, mines an 02 and i pay 218 quid.
Old 22-06-2010, 09:18 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve st220
How long is that gonna be the case though Steve?? IIRC they were planning to rape anything thats made past March 2001 at some point in the near future, or has this idea been canned for good now??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 22-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Then people will look at the jag and call it a mondeo.Or they will call you a oor jag owner lol.
Lol, but if you set out to buy a mondeo and buy a jag thats really a polished mondeo have you lost much? every one has to own at least one jaaaaaag at least once, otherwise you just aren't a true Englishman lol
Old 23-06-2010, 12:41 PM
steve st220
"SNIFF MY DIFF"

Originally Posted by RS Grant
How long is that gonna be the case though Steve?? IIRC they were planning to rape anything thats made past March 2001 at some point in the near future, or has this idea been canned for good now??

Cheers,
Grant
i think its been dropped for good now mate.
Old 23-06-2010, 01:05 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Wouldn't an ST220 be twice the price though?
Old 23-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by steve st220
Thats alright isnt it fella.
Old 23-06-2010, 05:27 PM
steve st220
"SNIFF MY DIFF"

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Wouldn't an ST220 be twice the price though?
not realy mate, theres a fella on here who's just paid 3.5k for an 04 plate ST220, its
a little bit more money but the difference in the 2 cars is amazing.

i'm not running the st200 down as its a very good car.