General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driving an UN-MOT'd car

Search this Thread

Old 16-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Ima Racing
This is the CORRECT answer.
The law states that it can be taken to a pre-booked MOT station without deviation or stopping, nothing anywhere states distance. Thats the Law not what you think is more sensible.
Old 16-06-2010, 04:32 PM
turbochild
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And why is that the correct answer that is one coppers bullshit opinion and to be fair a cop would tell you that! There is no law on the distance and ok travelling 300 miles is a piss take but it is a loop hole and loop holes get exploited why is that so hard for people to understand?
Old 16-06-2010, 04:32 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think relying on a chump who posted a note from the MOT people on PF is very stupid..ask your INSURERS!!!
what are you on about? It's a rule set by the DVLA, not your insurers and not the police. Mate, asking a copper about something like this is pointless, they try and make up their rules most of the time afterall...
Old 16-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BM08
Not read any of the replys but i asked this very question in my local police station about 5months ago and the Officer told me that it MUST be the nearest station to where you live or where the car is normally kept, so if station A is 9miles away and your normal place, and then theres station B which is 4miles away and you've never been there before, you must take it to station B because its the nearest.
Thats what the copper told me
Well then (rather typically) that copper did not have a fucking clue what he is talking about!
Old 16-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Chip

Chip, why did they put must not stop/detour under any circumstances?
To make it obvious you arent allowed to go and collect your kids from school on the way or whatever, the MOT must be the SOLE purpose of the journey.

This suggests distance related
No it doesnt at all, it suggests PURPOSE related, and this is backed up by the DVLA explicitly telling me that distance is NOT a problem

i mean what insurance company would cover you if you had to claim if the mot station was 300 miles away when by looking at the area one lived could get an mot within 10 miles
ALL insurance companies

I think relying on a chump who posted a note from the MOT people on PF is very stupid..ask your INSURERS!!!
Its directly from the DVLA after I explicitly asked them.
By all means check with your insurance company, but they are REQUIRED BY LAW to cover you to and from an MOT!

Phil, as you so blatantly havent got a fucking clue what you are talking about at all, why not leave the giving of advice to us who know all the details inside out about this sort of thing as we have bothered to correctly research it?

Last edited by Chip; 16-06-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 16-06-2010, 04:44 PM
turbochild

Originally Posted by Chip
Well then (rather typically) that copper did not have a fucking clue what he is talking about!
Do any of them? I mean when it comes to motoring law especially 9 times out of ten the average panda cop don't have a clue when pulled by one and i have a bit of time on my hands i request they get a traffic cop. They don't like this and usually let me on my way and the reason i get pulled isn't because of my driving it's because my car is older than the majority of others they've seen that day
Old 16-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Ima Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip

Phil, as you so blatantly havent got a fucking clue what you are talking about at all, why not leave the giving of advice to us who know all the details inside out about this sort of thing as we have bothered to correctly research it?
If you think an insurance company will insure a car that had no mot that could potensially be a death trap to go for an mot that could be done much closer, then you should NOT be giving advice.
Old 16-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by turbochild
Do any of them?
Very rarely.

route to becoming a lawyer:
Grade 'A' A levels
Law degree taking 5 years
2 years bar exam

route to becoming a copper:
scrape a couple of c's at gcse
do a couple of weeks training on the law

The police generally dont have the basic background education required or the specific training required to understand the law.

Its a strange state of affairs really, that the people attempting to enforce the law, actually know so little about it.

The first person likely to encounter any case who actually has a fucking clue, is the CPS, it sure as hell wont be anyone at the police station typically!
Old 16-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Chip

If you think an insurance company will insure a car that had no mot that could potensially be a death trap to go for an mot that could be done much closer, then you should NOT be giving advice.
Your insurance states that the vehicle must be in a "roadworthy condition", it doesnt mention how far you are allowed to drive it (unless you have an annual mileage limit)

Wether it is roadworthy or not, has nothing at all to do with how far you are driving it, they will kick up a fuss exactly the same at you driving 500 yards in an unroadworthy car as they about 500 miles.
Old 16-06-2010, 05:01 PM
turbochild

The insurance company have no choice but to insure you if your driving in accordance to the law. They still payout when people clearly haven't been driving in accordance to the law i.e speeding. Plus correct me if i'm wrong an mot only states the car was road worthy at the time of the test and there for potentially the majority of cars on the road could be death traps until there mot'd or scrapped the following year. On another note a car going for a test could be in better condition than a car that is mot'd as 9 times out of ten the owner will have checked the car wanting it to pass as not to have to pay a re-test fee
Old 16-06-2010, 05:35 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my god some people on here are thick

pre booked mot is the same where ever it is, as for going 500 miles for one...maybe youve bought a car down in london and you live in scotland, id want to take it for its mot at my local garage rather than somewhere that closest to the car
Old 16-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Oh dear phillip
Old 16-06-2010, 05:58 PM
snoopaloopa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Not if you ask the dvla it isn't
Old 16-06-2010, 06:20 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Phil - other than baiting Chip why are you being such a prick about this?

There is no limit to the distance you can travel, and even if there was it's not, in itself, an endorsable offence.

I first found out the 'law' regarding this when asked by a reader. I asked for the answer from the Head of Road Traffic Policing for Avon & Somerset - he didn't know so sought clarification. He discovered (much to his surprise) that there is no prescribed limit, non whatsoever.

So no matter what you think, holed up in your bungalow, you are wrong with a capital W. And the more you argue your point the more petty you look.

I accept your apology.
Old 16-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

phil maybe its time for your medication
Old 16-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

What bugs me is that there is no form of communication when your MOT is due, unlike insurance, tax etc

Have gone over a couple of times!
Old 16-06-2010, 09:58 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu.H
What bugs me is that there is no form of communication when your MOT is due, unlike insurance, tax etc

Have gone over a couple of times!
My usual test centre sends out reminders. Ask yours if they do the same.
Old 16-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

insurance only notifies you as its a business so its in their interest.

Relying on the DVLA letter for tax is unwise. Often i havent had them in past.

MOT they give you the sticker for a reason.

Im sure most people could put it in their phone calender if they could be bothered!!
Old 16-06-2010, 10:03 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
My usual test centre sends out reminders. Ask yours if they do the same.
So does mine
Old 16-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

It should be written that its a viable concern that car owners get informed when their vehicle is potentially unsafe IMO

ie a formal document like the tax disc reminder.

Its more important afterall ...........
Old 16-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

the only reason you get a tax disc "reminder" is that its an official form for renewal.

Remember its your responsibility at all times to keep it roadworthy and DVLA will tell you time and time again that a in date MoT is not a gurantee of a vehicle being roadworthy.

Im sure in the future they will stop sending paper reminders and force us all to do it online unless you specifically ask for paper forms.

its really not that hard to use a calender etc surely???
Old 16-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Not really Waz, but people change devices/jobs over the year, and would just be nice to have something a bit formal...

I know what ur saying about it not being safe the day after MOT etc tho, but its when it comes to your car being illegal and you potentially fined etc
Old 16-06-2010, 10:34 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Is looking at the date on the sticker/mot certificate really that hard? I know the months all my 'requirement' run out on for my car without looking, tis really not that hard
Old 16-06-2010, 10:40 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Love chips replies on here, no fucking messing!!it is completley true that you CAN drive a car to an mot centre,I've been with my mate when he's been pulled coming out of the auctions nearly 100 miles from our place at 10pm and told them the cars booked in for an mot that night,copper gets his book out ready to kick off and my mate explains it's HIS Mot centre,off we go,no charges!!!
Old 16-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
Is looking at the date on the sticker/mot certificate really that hard? I know the months all my 'requirement' run out on for my car without looking, tis really not that hard
How many people put the sticker on the windscreen, and of those that do, how many stickers are really faded and who constantly checks them?

I just think it should be something thats automated