General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Alan shearer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that feeling of being "home" has alot to do with it, i think a big part of any professionals playing ability has to do with how comfortable they are off the pitch.

ricky hatton springs to mind, why he didnt really fight much abroad when he could of gone to vegas and made silly money per fight.

some people are happy going where ever they have to in order to be the best, some people want that home life and make that compromise.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Skeg and ebony, both mancs, and both agree the trophy count is the be all and end all of being a proffesional footballer. an individual can not win medals/trophys on his own. you could be pele/maradona/ronaldo/torres/terry/gerarrd/cantona/best/cruyff/messi all rolled into one perfect footballer, if you dont have another ten team mates, who are top footballers, you wont win a thing, doesnt mean your career is a failure, or your not a legend. a legend isnt based on how many trophys/medals you have won, if it was, gary neville would be one of the greatest footballers to ever play the game, he isnt, he is a decent player, who just happened to spend his whole career at a club that won a lot of trophies. now compare in 25 years time, how many of alan shearers great goals will be played in highlight clips, to how many times gary neville will be in highlight clips.

Alan Shearer = Legend

Gary Neville = Medals
Old 12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Skeg and ebony, both mancs, and both agree the trophy count is the be all and end all of being a proffesional footballer. an individual can not win medals/trophys on his own. you could be pele/maradona/ronaldo/torres/terry/gerarrd/cantona/best/cruyff/messi all rolled into one perfect footballer, if you dont have another ten team mates, who are top footballers, you wont win a thing, doesnt mean your career is a failure, or your not a legend. a legend isnt based on how many trophys/medals you have won, if it was, gary neville would be one of the greatest footballers to ever play the game, he isnt, he is a decent player, who just happened to spend his whole career at a club that won a lot of trophies. now compare in 25 years time, how many of alan shearers great goals will be played in highlight clips, to how many times gary neville will be in highlight clips.

Alan Shearer = Legend

Gary Neville = Medals

Totally stupid comment from you, Fiddy, which is a surprise to be fair. You put a defender, one you hate to boot, when talking about the all time Premiership top goal scorer. Come on, its common knowledge defenders generally don't take all the top awards and get the recognition that attackers do.

Go out there and ask 10 random people to highlight their view on best players in the world now and of all time. It will be dominated by attacking or creative players not defenders or keepers.

Neville is one of the best RB's for club and country and will be remember as that, especially having being part of the best team in English history. He's old now no doubt but in his day he was good. But you being a Liverpool fan I can understand how you can't rate him, what he did to you would annoy me if it was the other way round. Its fair to say both G Neville and Sherer are legends of THEIR position, trophies or not. Oh and I didn't say trophies are the be all and end all. Have another read mate, I clearly said trophies, money and love/desire for the club are things that come into a players mind when deciding. Some join Man City or Chelsea for money no matter what, some join United for money and career prospects/CL/trophy or will even pick it over teams who offer more money (IE Berbatov and choosing United over City) and some like Alan or Matt Le tiss will choose the passion side for the team.

Last edited by skeg; 12-06-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Jon(M600BHP)
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

So would andy cole fall into the legend catogory?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
Gary lineker 80 appearances 48 goals
Greavsie 44 in 57 games if you want to mention the best.
Old 13-06-2010, 07:34 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think Sherear can be proud of what he's done, he chose to play for his beloved Newcastle and that goes far in the eyes of the fans. You'll never hear a bad thing said about that man by a gerodie or an England fan, he scored again last week in Soccer Aid. Alan Hansen does Morrison's advert's, is he a muppet too ? Linekar was my hero when I was a kid which is why I have 10 on the back of my Spurs shirt. Berbatov left us for Man U to win stuff, and he's done that, but I bet ther was more Spurs shirts with his name on then Man Utd ones. And I reckon Sol Campbell had some regret when he got rightfully slaughtered by the Spurs fan's when we beat them 2-1 a few months back.
Old 13-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MadRod
Greavsie 44 in 57 games if you want to mention the best.
Well said Rod. I stopped short of putting him up yesterday but yes he is of course a legend in my opinion.
Old 13-06-2010, 08:36 AM
BigJim19
COS i'm WORTH it

have we actually had a united fan thats actually from manchester posting on this yet? oh no hang on, thats right, they all come from the SOUTH!!! hahhahaha

and my 2peneth's worth.....

Shearer- legend, for club and country, end of.
Cole- excellent for newcastle and united, never as good for england
Yorke- excellent for villa and united, but too much of a piss can at the end
Crouchy- his record for england is immense, can see him being all time top scorer, needs to settle for his club football though, been moved about a lot

but there's one up from legend status and no england players have achieved this since '66, and that team was made up of a lot of west ham players, so maybe england to succeed, and football to imporove, they need to go back to investing in youth, bringing them through the ranks, instead of spending millions with no hope of repaying it.

take a look at united now, three best players, rooney, 30 million, ferdinand, 30 million, and well as waist of 30 million in berbatov.....
now look at barca, messi, free, iniesta, free, xavi, free, ibrahimovic, free (well, shipped out an unhappy e'to) barca invest heavily in youth and its paying off, a lot of teams wouldn't go far wrong as to do the same

as for me, i'm a boro fan, and we're terrible at the moment, sold all our decent players, appear to have bought none, but you get used to losing to mediocre teams, oh the shame!!!
Old 13-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Escy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
the welsh guy saying wayne rooneys not in form made me laugh. 9 goals in the qualifying campaign.

The most ever!!!!
Feel stupid for saying that, Rooney is amazing, did you see how he did fuck all against the USA? Best form of his life, 0 goals in about 10 games? Not scored for a couple of months? Do the facts....

As for you showing disrespect to Shearer and Le-Tisser for not playing for Manchester Utd, get your head out your arse. Two of the finest English players during the premier league era, everyone knows that.

Last edited by Escy; 13-06-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 13-06-2010, 11:29 AM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

As skeg said before ole is manager of the reserves and is Very sucessful, andy and dwight regually appear on mutv and commentate for stations on matches (not sky,bbc etc though usually)
Old 13-06-2010, 11:39 AM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

Originally Posted by BigJim19
have we actually had a united fan thats actually from manchester posting on this yet? oh no hang on, thats right, they all come from the SOUTH!!! hahhahaha
Comments like that mean your comments on anything football will fall on deaf ears....

Cracks me up, time and time and time again..... A team that is regarded as one of the top teams in the world means you will have fans from ................ you guessed it, AROUND THE WORLD!

There has been so many posts on this, the best was liverpool fans doing the same on the Champions league thread of United, yet on their own champions league thread most posters were from outside Liverpool. Big teams have big following... which you obviously havnt experienced so ill let you off.......

Anyone remember the "Is it me or are there no white people in the crowd at old trafford..." Maybe Bennis post and ten mins of photos from said game showed what a school boy error comment that was.... A family of the most Die hard Fans who sit next to the dug out and hence are always on camera and are Seiks (Sp) means OT is full of them......

Jealousy of success is so bad with somepeople that the biggest thing they can some back with is a comment like that... Genius!!
Old 13-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skeg
Totally stupid comment from you, Fiddy, which is a surprise to be fair. You put a defender, one you hate to boot, when talking about the all time Premiership top goal scorer. Come on, its common knowledge defenders generally don't take all the top awards and get the recognition that attackers do.

Go out there and ask 10 random people to highlight their view on best players in the world now and of all time. It will be dominated by attacking or creative players not defenders or keepers.

Neville is one of the best RB's for club and country and will be remember as that, especially having being part of the best team in English history. He's old now no doubt but in his day he was good. But you being a Liverpool fan I can understand how you can't rate him, what he did to you would annoy me if it was the other way round. Its fair to say both G Neville and Sherer are legends of THEIR position, trophies or not. Oh and I didn't say trophies are the be all and end all. Have another read mate, I clearly said trophies, money and love/desire for the club are things that come into a players mind when deciding. Some join Man City or Chelsea for money no matter what, some join United for money and career prospects/CL/trophy or will even pick it over teams who offer more money (IE Berbatov and choosing United over City) and some like Alan or Matt Le tiss will choose the passion side for the team.

I didnt say i dont rate him, i said he was a decent player, which he is. so if im reading you correct, your basically saying a defender cant have the same legendary status, or be compared, to a striker ?. John Terry, Paulo Maldini, Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer, Franco Baresi, Lothar Matthaus, Roberto Carlos, thats just a few off the top of my head, all renound as legendary footballers, all defenders. my point, the amount of medals you win, ala, Gary Nevile, does not make you legend, there are a lot of other contributing factors, when it comes to being a legendary footballer, medals, isnt the be all and end all.
Old 13-06-2010, 11:47 AM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

Originally Posted by Escy
Feel stupid for saying that, Rooney is amazing, did you see how he did fuck all against the USA? Best form of his life, 0 goals in about 10 games? Not scored for a couple of months? Do the facts....
Can you explain a bit more??? as..

A) Wayne scored in last friendly early in week...
B) if you are talking competative games then "Not scored in a couple of months" is flawed as no one has as its been months since last competative game???

Really confusing post tbh
Old 13-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Escy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was ignoring a goal against a South African pub side played behind closed doors, i'm counting all the international friendly's. They won't even get caps for playing that game, it's not counted in the stats.
Old 13-06-2010, 01:41 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
I think Sherear can be proud of what he's done, he chose to play for his beloved Newcastle and that goes far in the eyes of the fans. You'll never hear a bad thing said about that man by a gerodie or an England fan, he scored again last week in Soccer Aid.
That was Sherringham and Redknapp who scored, Shearer set Teddy up I think. Typical Sherry header.

Originally Posted by Fiddy
your basically saying a defender cant have the same legendary status, or be compared, to a striker ?.
Of course a defender can have legendary status, I'm just pointing out how you tried to make your argument about Alan Shearers trophies look good by putting in a defender. You even said something like "Shearer will always be on video clips shown but Neville won't be". Well obviously, its goals, its an attacking player.

Let me back up my point. PFA player of the year winners:

2010 - Rooney
2009 - Giggs
2008 - C Ronaldo
2007 - C Ronaldo
2006 - Gerrard
2005 - John Terry
2004 - Henry
2003 - Henry
2002 - Van Nistelrooy
2001 - Teddy Sherringham
2000 - Roy Keane
1999 - Ginola
1998 - Bergkamp
1997 - Shearer
1996 - Les Ferdinand
1995 - Shearer
1994 - Cantona
1993 - Paul McGrath
1992 - Gary Palister

UEFA Ballon d'or winners:

2009 - Messi
2008 - C Ronaldo
2007 - Kaka
2006 - Cannavaro
2005 - Ronaldinho
2004 - Shevchenko
2003 - Nedved
2002 - Luis Ronaldo
2001 - Michael Owen
2000 - Figo
1999 - Rivaldo
1998 - Zidane
1997 - Luis Ronaldo

^ How many years is all that? I count 4 defender wins. Case closed?

Originally Posted by Escy
I was ignoring a goal against a South African pub side played behind closed doors, i'm counting all the international friendly's. They won't even get caps for playing that game, it's not counted in the stats.
Mate, do you ever post anything other than anti Rooney, anti England? If England are so bad then what are Wales? Take some pain killers mate for the next game.
Old 13-06-2010, 02:25 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, I forgot that Shearer set Sheringham up lol. Maybe James Cordon should be Fabio's number 2 it probably would hurt to have Shearer and Sheri up front for England right now, Hell, throw in Ben Shepherd and the mush Ollie from the X Factor.
Old 13-06-2010, 02:40 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanRSturbo
Sorry, I forgot that Shearer set Sheringham up lol. Maybe James Cordon should be Fabio's number 2 it probably would hurt to have Shearer and Sheri up front for England right now, Hell, throw in Ben Shepherd and the mush Ollie from the X Factor.

HA HA yeah, Sheppard tackles better than Carragher, he owned Zidane and the old SAS look better oiled than Rooney '+ other'.
Old 13-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by skeg

He did, Shearer said himself he was house hunting in Manchester. Trophies play a big as does money and what you mention, passion/love for the club.
Yes, but he also said in that same quote he was house hunting in Manchester....till Newcastle came in for him.
It was never about the trophies with him, Barcelona were in for him as well a Juventus at the time.
I dont think you understand what he is viewed as up here .

And PMSL at the div trying to compare the daft giraffe to shearer haha daft cunt.
Old 13-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

lol it was a sarcastic comment mate.

Feel the love on this thread!
Old 13-06-2010, 07:07 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
Yes, but he also said in that same quote he was house hunting in Manchester....till Newcastle came in for him.

True. He would have picked Newcastle over anyone and did, fair play to him. I was just saying that in response to Fiddy, who said not all players want to play for United. Apart from Newcastle he was ready to join us, that's all. Top player trophies or not but if he had a big bag like Giggs, Scholes etc then his stock would be even higher IMO.