General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How did they break in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
drivin2jungle
mk4RS1900ZVHTcombi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did they break in?

my housemates 08 focus was seemingly broken into last night. pretty much everything loose was taken from the cabin even service manuals and rizla!

the thing is, when we parked it up last night, we were discussing satnav theft as i reminded him to put it out of site. with this in mind, it seems completely foolish and unlikely for us to have then left the car open!

no windows were smashed and although i havent seen the car yet, no obvious signs of entry were made. he has a roof-rack that fits between the door and the roof, if that gives anyone an idea?

has anyone seen/experienced something similar?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

sounds to me like it was left open imo.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
payney

there's been alot of this happening in my area and it is beleived to be an electrical device that opens the central locking system
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
drivin2jungle
mk4RS1900ZVHTcombi

Originally Posted by payney
there's been alot of this happening in my area and it is beleived to be an electrical device that opens the central locking system
thanks, anyone else heard of this?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:48 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has he got his spare key? any chance this could've been stolen
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM
ProjectBobcat
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

isnt there something to do with water short circuiting the boot release and allowing you to open it on this model? I vaguely remember something along those lines with a focus
Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 PM
drivin2jungle
mk4RS1900ZVHTcombi

Originally Posted by steviecossie
has he got his spare key? any chance this could've been stolen
not sure, its unlikely as he would have mentioned that. i will get all the facts when he is home from work.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM
drivin2jungle
mk4RS1900ZVHTcombi

Originally Posted by Ross84
isnt there something to do with water short circuiting the boot release and allowing you to open it on this model? I vaguely remember something along those lines with a focus
the boot wasn't opened. just the stuff from the cabin was taken.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 PM
_SpeedX_
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...-grabbers.html
Old 09-06-2010, 01:29 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

There's a speight of thefts round my way on Ford STs that have been taken without keys yet the cars have been seen driving. I.e. Not lifted.

I've been hearing rumours of devices used to open and even start cars without keys now. Not sure how true it is but there's certainly evidence mounting that way.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 PM
drivin2jungle
mk4RS1900ZVHTcombi

thanks for the info, keep it coming. i dont think insurers class a claim where everything was stolen but nothing was broken into eligible for cover.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by drivin2jungle
my housemates 08 focus was seemingly broken into last night. pretty much everything loose was taken from the cabin even service manuals and rizla!
Is he sure he locked it?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:10 PM
drivin2jungle
mk4RS1900ZVHTcombi

Originally Posted by Pf Admin
Is he sure he locked it?
we were talking about security as we got out of the car and i think i can remember the indicators flashing as he locked it but i wasnt specifically trying to notice if he did.

it seems unlikely that it was left open and by chance someone happened to try it and then spent a bit of time grabbing everything in site. it could explain it but its likely we will never know - just wanted some info on another explanation. these scanners/grabbers seem very possibly but i would assume very rare as well. who knows!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:13 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

There used to be a guy who developed a 'box of tricks' which enabled him to nick Rovers off the forecourt without keys. Can't remember the exact details, but he would cut a hole in the inner arch shit-shield, which gave him access to the ECU. He'd then connect his handheld unit to it, which would unlock the car, deactivate the immobiliser and start it. He nicked shit loads before he was caught.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
There used to be a guy who developed a 'box of tricks' which enabled him to nick Rovers off the forecourt without keys. Can't remember the exact details, but he would cut a hole in the inner arch shit-shield, which gave him access to the ECU. He'd then connect his handheld unit to it, which would unlock the car, deactivate the immobiliser and start it. He nicked shit loads before he was caught.
now that`s a clever bloke....shame he had to use his skills to crime tho.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:00 PM
5t1g
Shotgun Bunter

Wasn't there something on watchdog or similar about people going around with a tennis ball cut in half, putting that over the locks and then compressing the ball. The air being forced down the key hole unlocked/activated some cars locking systems?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by 5t1g
Wasn't there something on watchdog or similar about people going around with a tennis ball cut in half, putting that over the locks and then compressing the ball. The air being forced down the key hole unlocked/activated some cars locking systems?
That was early Audi/VWs allegedly. I've heard it mentioned a lot, but never seen it done.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM
JohnnyRS

The mythbusters busted the tennis ball one awhile ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1jfhaL3Ec

I reckon they used a tibbe lockpick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6APuLDEwsg

I presume any Ford without an immobiliser could be started and driven away using this thing
Old 09-06-2010, 03:34 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by JohnnyRS
The mythbusters busted the tennis ball one awhile ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1jfhaL3Ec
That's because different manufacturers use different CL mechanisms. Most use electronic ones, but early VAG stuff was operated by a vacuum and it had a central locking 'pump'.

Having said that, thinking about it the tennis ball thing wouldn't work, as the keyhole's not connected to the vacuum tube (otherwise the CL couldn't possibly work!)

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 09-06-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
snoopaloopa

I remember you could hit mk3 cavaliers and mk2 astras in a certain spot and they would unlock thinking they had been in an accident, then if you did something very simple with the hazard switch it brought all the dash/ignition lights on and all you had to do was bump it and you were off
Did it to my mates cav a few times, just moved it up the road a bit etc.... he was very confused lol
Old 09-06-2010, 04:27 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

I could get into my ka by sliding the number plate between the window rubbers and pushing the latch, works in a lot of cars
Old 09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if they overcame the electronic central locking and started the car, surely the steering lock is mechanical so would need a key to allow any movement of the steering wheel?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Marcyg
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you kicked certain Hondas on the front wheels hard enough they think it's an accident, the air bags deploy and the car opens
Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by snoopaloopa
I remember you could hit mk3 cavaliers and mk2 astras in a certain spot and they would unlock thinking they had been in an accident, then if you did something very simple with the hazard switch it brought all the dash/ignition lights on and all you had to do was bump it and you were off
Did it to my mates cav a few times, just moved it up the road a bit etc.... he was very confused lol

Mk2 novas were the same, once you were in all you had to do was turn the hazrd switch upside down and it brought all the ignition and dash on. quick bump start and it away
Old 09-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Rcjm88
Zetec S Owners

I'd have smashed a window before contacting the insurance! LOL

You could use any ford key to open my old fiesta. And the key for that car that used to start it, would also unlock and start my mates Mk3 piece of shit fiesta!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:38 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by steviecossie
Mk2 novas were the same, once you were in all you had to do was turn the hazrd switch upside down and it brought all the ignition and dash on. quick bump start and it away
One of my mates did that on his cavalier after he lost his keys. He used to get the ignition on, then bump it to get it going. Unfortunately not all the electrics come on, including the cooling fan, after he left it running for half an hour on a hot day because he couldn't be fooked to bump it again he eventually started looking for his keys
Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

piece of piss to get into with no damage, on some cars inc fords, mainly due to shitty attitude from makers.
There are at least 34 different models(some ford) that I know of where a LIGHTER will get you in just as quick as using the key, hint ghia models of fords tend to be easier!!
tabetha
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
piece of piss to get into with no damage, on some cars inc fords, mainly due to shitty attitude from makers.
There are at least 34 different models(some ford) that I know of where a LIGHTER will get you in just as quick as using the key, hint ghia models of fords tend to be easier!!
tabetha
Hmmm i need a pm off you tabs
Old 09-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Escow-Van

A couple of guys at locked their keys in the van (T5 VW Transporter) and called out the AA. The fella apparently went under the van, shorted out some terminals behind a cover or plug and the back door unlocked. Unsurprisingly the AA guy didn't go into much detail.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

if there scally wags raiding cars doubt they have the gear, but im a recover man i hold many car makes picks rakes etc, i can open the ford locks inc ignition both within a minute, same with vag etc.

im intregued by what tabetha has posted but i appreciate info like that shouldnt be shared but if you care to pm my i can give you links to my websitse and recovery details

allways good to know how to open them up i do a lot of repo work i kind of find it a hobby/passion lol

sorry you lost your belongings
Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a work one broken into and it took us ages for us to find the fault. i used it a noticed a small drilled hole right in the place were the bar is to pop the locking mechanism was. shame really as then they could nick the 30k test equipment in the boot!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 PM
tiny2white

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know correct name for it but I no it as a jiggle key it works on all fords except the ka!
Basicly the key goes in and u role dials for each pin once unlocked you can either make a note of the code (if planning a return visit) or pop down to a lock smiths and have a key cut which won't start it as no immob chip but will still open it!!!
They sometimes turn up on eBay for sale and go for £250-£350 and I've heard of them being rented for £100 a night.

Little tip if you live on the isle of dogs (London) expect this to happen!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
tiny2white

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just found out correct name Is a skelleton key and are available to most who work for .....................FORDS!!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

its suprisingly easy if you have the know how, the people i buy from however require proof of trade etc so its a little less easy for the scallywags to get and quite expensive, my gear for opening so far has cost me £1500

i can also plug in to diag socket and on some cars recode immob once ign is on
Old 10-06-2010, 12:02 AM
drivin2jungle
mk4RS1900ZVHTcombi

got some more info earlier -

the car has automatic locking so it was definitely locked when we got out of it and he had to unlock it to get in it this morning. it took a 20minute drive before he realised anything was gone!

the forensics guy came over and dusted for prints but there wasn't anything he could get a read from - all smudged.

me and my housemate are convinced the car was locked in the first place so this does seem like some kind of organised techy entry device but i will be looking over his car tomorrow to see what i can find in the way of forced entry, although, this would have sounded the alarm surely once in the car?

if they have a remote 'open-sesame' device, im sure they would have the intelligence to wear gloves.

there is another focus on my road, might get in contact with them and see if they have had the same? - seems logical.

loving all the random ways into cars as well! just hope this thread doesn't turn into a thief's 'how-to' guide hahaha
Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by recoveryman
its suprisingly easy if you have the know how, the people i buy from however require proof of trade etc so its a little less easy for the scallywags to get and quite expensive, my gear for opening so far has cost me £1500
proof of trade means fuck all. theres plenty of recovery companies with crooks on the pay roll/management.

and £1500 of gear which enables them to steal £10k plus of car and/or do a string of car "breakins" netting thousands makes it good value!!

Quite often you will find criminal gangs with better equipment and resources than the police, especially with drugs.

This is why im firmly against sale of data by government agencys to trade. Especially DVLA. Theres plenty of crooks in the motor trade yet they can all legitimately for a fee get regular and unrestricted access to certain categories of DVLA data.