General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How do you keep motivated to keep at your project?

Search this Thread

Old 17-05-2010, 08:01 PM
cossie legend
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you keep motivated to keep at your project?

As above, how do you keep motivated at your projects? Ive been welding at a sierra and it feels like its taking forever. Takes me a full saturday to cut and shape, weld and finish off 1 patch, maybe 2 if i get away handy. The more i do, the more seems to need doing. No friends interested in what im doing so i have to do everything alone by myself. Im sick of her already thinking what can i spend the money on as soon as i sell her. Ive everything stripped out of her apart from dash and loom and shes on a spit and ive only the passengers side inside welded, seat belt mounts and footwell.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:09 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 60 Likes on 59 Posts

everybody hits this point mate,

Take me for example i have spent a serious chunk of money and i do mean serious chunk on a project that so far someone else has been doing for me for the last 8 or 9 months and i have only seen it myself once in that time apart from updates they put on here for me occasionally, all i seem to do is spend every penny i have on it and although its going to be an epic car, because i have yet to work on it myself i get times when i lose interest and think WTF am i doing when i could be driving my old e46 m3 and have a nice chunk of cash in the bank......but i tried that 1 before and could keep away from the fords and a project, when you havent got it you miss it and when you have it you think your mad for doing it but if its what you like you will always go back....ALWAYS

keep at it mate
Old 17-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Dan_RS500
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah man, I ask my self the same question all the time. The last week or so I have developed a habbit of putting the boiler suit on, going out to garage, having a smoke while I walk round the car, then head back in side and take the boiler suit off again! All I need to do is take an engine out! I dont under stand where my motivation has gone, I used to strip, clean, repair and rebuild cars out side as I had no garage or shed to work in. Now I have it all made, over flowing tool box, pleanty of equipment, nice spacious garage, etc etc and it's like its harder to get stuff done than it used to be.

Infact just had a thought. To get my self psyched up before going out on the bike I watch a load of inspiring and motivating videos. Maybe look at pictures/ videos etc of cars that you admire, or gave you the original inspiration to take the project on. Might help.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:24 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

stick at it mate i put a similar thread up a weak or 2 ago even if you have a little break then go back to it, its better then giving in alltogether ive only had mine 2-3 weeks and i was thinking about selling or braking
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

i just think of the end result/goal and thats keeps me motivated.
cossie legend
Part of the Furniture

Thats so funny, i thought i was the only 1 who done that. I drive about 4 mile to get their, jump out with boilersuit under the arm and look at it for about half an hour and admire what i done one other day and then tell myself how much more has to be done and find more faults and drive back home.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:26 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id help you out mate if your local
Old 17-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

I've got like this also. Was buying, fixing and selling on cars. I've lost my motivation now.

I bought an Alfa Spider, headgasket gone. Was full of beans to do it, had done the job within a week, started it up and the engine was knocking. Got pissed off and it's been sitting in the garage for the last 5 months. Totally lost interest. There is still a nice 1k profit in it, just can't be bothered to strip it.

I know whats happened, I was doing it because I needed extra cash and was trying to trade myself up to a better car. I've not had a 'keeper' for about 3 years. Got something I like now so can't be arsed with the others. Everytime I need to do something on my car I happily do it straight away.

Also got a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo sitting on the drive, on axle stands, half way through a gearbox swap and it's pissing me off and can't be bothered to finish it.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:31 PM
cossie legend
Part of the Furniture

Unfortunately im miles away. I live in Northern Ireland. I like the way a lot of you work together and help each other it keeps you interested and more progress for everybody.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:55 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know how you feel, ive had my escos project now for over a year and a half and its still a shell

its been in paintshop for 2 months and they havnt touched it but the way i see it i dont care how long it takes as its a car ive wanted since i was a kid and i can see what the finish product will be like

it will take time but its the time butonce you start fittings things back to gether you will start to see why you carried on as it will be worth it in the end
Old 17-05-2010, 10:06 PM
drsrst2zvh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I dont i fucking hate the selfish little bitch its always take take take never anything in return!!!
Old 17-05-2010, 10:16 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I done a bare shell resto on my S1...when the cars sitting, stripped,panels cut off here and there and you've done a ton of welding and theres still loads to be done....working on cars 8-5 5 days a week so leave work to go to the shed in middle of winter, stay til 9/10pm and dont get a great deal done (not enough to make it look like your getting somewhere, yes you DO think "what the hell am I doing??"

Keep at it is all I can say!!
Old 17-05-2010, 10:18 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

Look at pictures of the finished article and you'll get motivated
Old 17-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Bloomers
Cornish Fasty

chin up buddy, i am in the same boat, i'm pissed off with it, as the spray shop took a bloody age, and now i will have to miss my june deadline. so i'm thinking, 'whats the point?'

but its all worth it in the end
Old 17-05-2010, 11:01 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i stripped mine

but thats not helping is it

anyway Im back in the same boat as have just bought another so keep at it mate - once its on the road and you're behind the wheel you will grin from ear to ear
Old 17-05-2010, 11:15 PM
ben_frst

i so unmotivated at the moment but luckly have some top mates who motivate me i even started on my zvh today
Old 18-05-2010, 04:28 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

I keep picturing the day i will actully get to drive mine.. Im really looking forward to it and its not far off now, Should have the diff in and hopefully change the rear suspension by tomorrow and then its full steam ahead on the loom.

Here what it looks like now

all the fronts pretty much built up, bumper should go on today and grill back in place, front brakes, suspension are on also so gettin there
Old 18-05-2010, 10:05 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think the main contributor for me is the fact ive only got a single garage and there is stuff stored down the sides to, so where last october i said right i'll crack on with it and have it pretty much done for spring, that just hasnt happened when its shit dark weather by time you get home from work and to even have the door fully opn it needs to be outside. And now we're at summer almost and its not done. Also doesnt help that i work all day with cars so the last thing i want to do is come home and try and get motivated about doing mine.
Another big factor for me is waiting for parts to be made/arrive as alot of it i cant build up until ive fitted these parts im waiting for.

I say this is the last time i have a project but i cant imagine not having a car to tinker with or search for hard to find parts for.
Old 18-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Buy a shed and put all your crap in there!!!!
Old 18-05-2010, 10:17 AM
alanfordtw-15

look at pics and videos of cars like yours in action and that will get you motivated so you can do the same. always works for me
Old 18-05-2010, 01:44 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

i keep on my resto thread , folks keep you motivated ,

as does my mates here at home , and the missus ect ,

id of flogged it by now , if it wasnt for them lol,

i know you want to set targets , but keep the targets in small bitezize chunks ,youll feel like youve accomplished more that way ,

it is hard , im around 4-4-5 k in so far with a stripped engine and a half converted shell lol ,

but just take breaks , have other things in your life ,

lol thats easy to say though , i gaurentee i think of my car at least 5 times every 15 min ,

i sat up for an hour last night wide awake , thinking bout colour schemes for the underside ,

beef
Old 18-05-2010, 02:42 PM
mgbrs
Regular Contributor

dont forget its your hobby pal, i often think if i had all the cah in the world, would that be it....... no more saving for parts or doing the neat little touches yourself!!!, theres something very rewarding about doing abit of overtime at work so you can order them parts, then at the weekend fit em yourself! it will be well worth it when you polish it for the first time, or you go fuel it up, and someone asks about your motor, and you can turn round and say yeah did myself, for myself! forget about the investment, and think what your'l get out of it! tell ya iam pretty sure i,ve wasted..no no SPENT more money on watching 90mins of footie for the last 8 years, than on me motors. spend ya money and time where ya want pal.
Old 18-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

just keep imagining what you want the end result to be, good luck with the project
Old 18-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

My cossie is a on going project i drive it as much as i can.There are still daft little things that need doing to it but i just cant be arsed.Before i got all the bodywork done on my car i had just lost interest in.I still have days sometimes where i fancy a modern car but i know i would miss my cossie so much.

When i got my car back from the body shop and it was sat there looking mint i was in love with the car again.I still love it now.
Old 18-05-2010, 04:39 PM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by -beefy-
i

lol thats easy to say though , i gaurentee i think of my car at least 5 times every 15 min ,

i sat up for an hour last night wide awake , thinking bout colour schemes for the underside ,

beef

i do shit like that aswell lol
Old 18-05-2010, 04:46 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i lose intrest in mine when it comes to body work id love pay some one else to do the filler work but just brake it up in to panels or i get pissed off fast ,nearly sold mine loads a times but then look at pics of finished cars an think yer mine will be as good that ! if i was near id help with welding thats the only part i love doing lol.keep at it
thats what i keep telling me self
Old 18-05-2010, 06:02 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dingla rs
i lose intrest in mine when it comes to body work id love pay some one else to do the filler work but just brake it up in to panels or i get pissed off fast ,nearly sold mine loads a times but then look at pics of finished cars an think yer mine will be as good that ! if i was near id help with welding thats the only part i love doing lol.keep at it
thats what i keep telling me self
yup i know where your coming from im the same i loved cutting all the crap & rust out to put nice new steel back in done all my fab work in 3 monthsincluding filler & primer but its been 5 months now & i still have,nt done the rear body kit its only a good week end each side to fab up ,its just i cannot be arsed to get down the garage to do it .any how i got to pull my finger out only 5 weeks till next show but i think of what it will be like when done going to a show & taking pride in saying yes i done that
Old 18-05-2010, 07:03 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by andy escos
yup i know where your coming from im the same i loved cutting all the crap & rust out to put nice new steel back in done all my fab work in 3 monthsincluding filler & primer but its been 5 months now & i still have,nt done the rear body kit its only a good week end each side to fab up ,its just i cannot be arsed to get down the garage to do it .any how i got to pull my finger out only 5 weeks till next show but i think of what it will be like when done going to a show & taking pride in saying yes i done that

yer you need get it done andy i want a ride
Old 18-05-2010, 07:24 PM
bythomson
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

not rubbing it in but round my area all the nice old fords are starting to crop up, all the summer cars that spend the winter getting ready and its getting me more motivated, someone else posted about looking at pics of cars you admire, id agree as its working for me
Old 18-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Dan_RS500
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a thought about this today... I friend of mine who is building a mental Impreza works off shore 6 to 8 weeks at a time, and then he is home for about 3 weeks. He is usually in not long after I open up and the corner he is working in will be a hive of activity all day and a big chunk of the night as well. I often think locking up at 11pm that he must be nuts to have grafted away on one car for over 12 hours! Anyway, my theory is that while he is away from his project he gets hungry for it, so when he gets home he can throw him self into it and get as much done as possible. Makes sense really.