General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Diabetes help

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Daveyraveygravy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diabetes help

My Dad has just been diagnosed with diabetes after falling unconcious and rolling down the stairs at home. At the moment he is still in hospital and is recovering, luckly he only suffered a few bruses and a black eye because he was so limp when he fell. They have said his blood sugar levels were double what they should be which would have caused him to black out.

All i would like to know is, what is the score with diabetes? Is it serious? Can you recover/cure it, and basically any other information you can think of that can help out.

Many thanks in advance

Dave
Old 15-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Female)
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have someone at work who has this .

she takes her blood sugar level and take a few pills daily

and has to becareful of what she can eat
Old 15-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

My dad's been a diabetic for a good few years now & it is quite easy to control, you've just got to basically check your sugar levels in the morning & adjust your sugar intake accordingly. I hope your dad feels better soon
Old 15-01-2005, 04:54 PM
owens130

your best bet is to ask for advice at the hospital no doubt they will be able to help you no end. hope your dad gets better soon wish him best of luck from me and everyone else on here
Old 15-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Glenn5
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

your normally stuck with it for life, the nhs has great site with loads of imformation. theres 2 types of it. 1 more blood based(incilllin) type1, type 2 is more common and is mainly controlled with tablets and regular checking of blood sugar levels and adjusting as nesscerary. i got diagnosed 3 days before christmas it put a bit of a dampening on it it takes quite a while 2 adjust to it, hope hes feels better soon m8
Old 15-01-2005, 04:56 PM
bortaf

many different levels of it mate, you can controll it with diet ,pills, insulin ect.
Takes a while to get the hang on the diet but once you have that sorted it's not to bad to live with.
some diabetics have circulation problems with feet hands ect but you can get on top of it and controll it.
Hope he get better soon mate, he'll soon be back to normal
Old 15-01-2005, 04:57 PM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Don't think it can be curred mate, but it soon becomes a routine, he'll either be diet controlled or has to inject insulin into himself daily or twice daily, not quiet sure, but he'll be fine now.
Old 15-01-2005, 04:58 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry mate, don't really know anything about it but i wanted to say that i hope he makes a quick recovery.
Old 15-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Rs Gary
PassionFord Regular

i have been a diabetic for 23 years and it can be very serious,its not just a case of adjusting your sugar intake,you cut out sugar COMPLETELY,being double the normal level would only take him up to 14 this should not make you black out,i have been up to 25+ and just been thirsty,you have also got to look after your feet as the diabetes affects the nerves in your feet and eyes and you can get gangrene and lose your feet or you can go blind,your kidneys are affected by it as well and they can fail also diabetics suffer from heart diesease,if you look after yourself and keep your blood sugar between 4&7 you are fine if you go too low ie 2 you will lose your mind and act like you are drunk and sweat alot then you will collapse and go into a coma,if you stay too high you will get all the above.
cheeRS gary
AKA shrek
ps is he on injections or tablets
Old 15-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Lou Lou.
10K+ Poster!!

ahh huni im so sorry 2 hear this i hope ur ok

im sure he will be fine

i cant be much help as dont know alot about diabetes but im here if u wanna chat

x x x
Old 15-01-2005, 06:10 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Re: Diabetes help

Originally Posted by MR COSSIE 4X4
My Dad has just been diagnosed with diabetes after falling unconcious and rolling down the stairs at home. At the moment he is still in hospital and is recovering, luckly he only suffered a few bruses and a black eye because he was so limp when he fell. They have said his blood sugar levels were double what they should be which would have caused him to black out.

All i would like to know is, what is the score with diabetes? Is it serious? Can you recover/cure it, and basically any other information you can think of that can help out.

Many thanks in advance

Dave
Hi Dave, i have diabeties myself and have had it for the past 16 years or so (since i was 5) and has become a way of life...cant even remember what it was like not being a diabetic!

Like Gary has already said, there are some serious effects of diabeties however they can be prevented providing your dad looks after himself.

I have had endless amounts of 'fits'...at one stage i actually had about 4 fits in about 3 weeks! that was really bad and nobody knew what was causing it...however, as i got older i got used to it and could control it better...and these days, i would say i have about 1 fit per year or 2 years! My mum is also a diabetic and as far back as i can remember, she has NOT had a single fit! so its all down to how well you can look after it and manage.

researchers have been saying for years now that they will found a cure or they have found this that or the other, but nothing has come of it as of yet...but there has been some very interesting things going on in Australia in the past few years and i cant wait to see how it all goes...

the best thing to do for your dad, is to be there for him and help himk for the first few months to help him get the hang of it...once he gets used to the symptoms of when his sugar level is going low, high etc, he will slowly become used to it and be able to prevent anything bad (i.e fit) happening and take something to drink/eat accordingly.

Make sure someone also keeps an eye with him at night as thats the most vonurable time when fits occur...this is because u can be in such a deep sleep that your body does not realise your sugar level is going low hence it keeps dropping as you begin to sweat and move about eventually leaving you to have a fit...even if it means waking your dad up once or twice in the night just to check his sugar level and see if its ok or dropping etc

If his sugar level does drop during the day or night, the best thing to do is to give him a glass of milk with 2 or 3 spoons of sugar mixed into it and a chocolate to bring his level back up to normal...failing that, something like lucozade or an energy drink is also fine...however once it does go back up, make sure he eats something even it is just a sandwich or something...I have found that if i have just milk and sugar and nothing to eat with it, my sugar level will soon drop back down after the sudden hike. This is because while the sugar level gets the hike, and the break down of the food he would have eaten will help maintain a constant level as its getting broken down

Try to monitor his diet also, less of the sugary phatty foods and more of the good stuff...however, i do not mean NO McDonalds for example...he can still eat his normal everyday diet of food, however, if items contain more sugar than average then make sure its eaten in moderation. Also try to encourage your dad to eat something like 3 meals a day with small snacks inbetween (easier said than done!! ) to help maintain his sugar levels and it is VITAL that he keeps a record of his sugar level recordings throughout the day and night...the hospital should have issued you with a book to keep a record of recordings...but they generally go like this:

Wake up
2hrs after breakfast
2 hrs before lunch
2 hrs after lunch
before evening injection
before dinner
before bed
and middle of night

its not the exact thing but its a rough idea.

depending on these results, it will determine howmuch insulin your dad should be taking (or tablets) so it is vital he does do these checks...after a year or even a few years, he will be able to change his own dose of insulin according to what he feels is best for him...but that will only come with time and experience

also as gary also said, there are 2 forms of fits....hypo and hyperglacemia i think its called....hypo is when the sugar level drops too low and the other is when it is too high..and to be honest, i have only known people to suffer from their levels dropping too low as they have missed a meal, not eating properly, worried etc etc

If you dad does fall into a fit like he has done already and is shaking on the ground, DO NOT try to move him...let him be...it will be VERY scary for anybody who is watching but believe me just let him be and he will soon stop shaking and fitting...in the mean time call an ambulance if you do not have the recommended hypostop with you...even if you do it is best to call them and check him over and make sure he is ok...

Once you dad recovers, he will have a VERY VERY bad headache, he may be throwing up, wont be able to stomach any food, and all he'll want to do is sleep...just give him a good day maybe 2 to rest himself as his body would have been through alot and would NOT be ready for any work anytime before this! Also make sure you have a bucket close to him as at times he will just wake up and want to be sick and maybe wont have the energy to get up and go to the bathroom in time. Try not to give him any tablets for the headache straight away...wait a few hours and then give him some tablets with some milk to help him line his stomach...even though he will probably be sick again within the next few hours...

if he carries on being sick..try not to worry... i have been sick for 2 days continuous even losing count of the times i threw up but its just the body trying to return back to its usual self...however, anything longer than say day and a half...let the doctors know

Again, as Gary has said, try to keep his sugar level about the 5-7 mark although i do tend to keep mine at about 8-13ish as i am pretty active during the day and dont want to keep stopping to eat something anything below 4 is considered to be hypo area and your dad could fit at any time...anything above 15ish is considered too high...if this is the case, your dad will keep feeling thirsty and will keep passing water...however, if your dad has not eaten, and the sugar level starts to come down, then it will come down all of a sudden and pretty rapidly so make sure he has something to eat to help ease the falling rate

Also remember things like, stress, worry, hyperness ( ) etc all cause effects on your sugar level and tend to bring them down...things like when he has a cold will also effect sugar levels but they tend to vary from person to person, mine for example tend to go up if im ill

The last thing before i end this is...try not to worry about it mate...millions of people have diabeties (myself included) and have just adapted myself into dealing with it...there is nothing you can do to stop it, prevent it etc...the only thing you can do is to be there for your dad and help him in every way possible...the main points being

1. make sure he checks his sugar level constantly!
2. Make sure he eats properly and the correct foods
3. If his sugar level drops, give him food and something which contains sugar
4. If his sugar level goes too low and he fits, call an ambulance and under no circumstances try to stop him from shaking or give him anything to eat/drink
5. stay calm if he does fit...its VERY difficult and moving...but you have to be strong mate
6. visit the doctor regularly to monitor his progress
7. keep sugar level better 5-7 or slightly higher for the first few months
8. give your dad time to get used to the condition...it does take a long time to get used to
9. Make sure someone checks him a few times a night to make sure he is ok
10. Try to keep yourself happy to...him seeing you feeling down etc will only worry him even more...this will cause roller coaster rides of his sugar level
11. never forget...its quite a lot to take in and serious consequences but they are EASY to prevent

Hope this helps mate and if theres any other questions feel free to Pm me or reply here

I know its ALOT to take it...but with time, he'll cope with it with no problems whatsoever

take care mate

bassboy
Old 15-01-2005, 07:13 PM
MoonDustSaph

Hi mate,
Firstly to bassboy.
That has to be one of the best and most helpful replies i've seen for ages.

I was going to reply as i have an Uncle who is diabetic, and I work with a lad who is too, and occasionally they have a hypo, and we need to get a sugary drink into them as quickly as we can. But there is nothing I can add to what bassboy has written.
I would just like to say that whilst it can be serious, it can be handled with a little care and medication, so there is no worry on that score.

I hope all goes well for your Dad and you mate.
Old 15-01-2005, 07:20 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

like moon dust saph says...its sounds ALOT scarier than it actually is you will cope just fine mate

bassboy
Old 15-01-2005, 07:29 PM
*Anna*
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well after reading Bassboy I don't think your Dad need any more help but I have just done a quick search on Google and found this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/diabetes/

Don't know if it's any help but do try and read some of it.
Old 15-01-2005, 07:37 PM
dave drake
Virgin

just like to say at first i expect your dad will be very frightened , but after some time as has been explained things will become routine, my nine year old boy has been a type 1 diabetic from the age of 5 he follows a healthy diet which has worked wonders for the whole family, you soon become used to the lifestyle but it is important to be encouraging
from the age of 7 my lad has been testing and injecting himself twice daily with no problems he will soon get to know the signs of when he is not feeling right and will learn what works best for him
certainly makes you appreciate life!!!
hope your dad feels better soon and get him to listen to the diabetic nurse they are brilliant, and make sure that you are listening as well in case your dads forgetful, he will be okay!!
all the best
dave
Old 15-01-2005, 11:50 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

BTTT for Mr Cossie 4x4

bassboy
Old 16-01-2005, 12:20 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Despite all the light heartedness, banter, mickey taking, self promotion, jealousy, and friendship this forum throws up, sometimes just sometimes, its replys like that from Bassboy that make it an outstanding place to be part of

I have a family history of it (dad, grandmother etc) so have a vested interest as it can run in families. Wish your dad a speedy recovery Dave. And Bassboy some of that has helped me stay prepared
Old 16-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Daveyraveygravy

What can i say!

I cannot even begin to say how thankfull i am of all the replies on this post, i am touched by all your support and kind words, i now feel so much better about the whole situation.

Looking back, he has for a while been, felling very tired all the time, had cravings for chocolate (but i think he is just addicted ) going to the toilet a lot. His aunt had it, and i believe his nan also had it, so to be honest i was half expecting it, but i was still a bit worried when i found out, especially because i know he hates hospitals and going to the Dr's (Long story!).

At the moment he is still in hospital and i dont think they will let him out until his suger levels return to normal, and understands how his diet will have to change. He was lucky that he didn't break something in his fall really, it was quite nasty, falling head first down a set of very steep stairs. He's just got a lot of bumps on his head and a bad back, not bad for a 18-19 stone, 61 year old!

bassboy, i realise how long it must have taken to write that excellent information out, and i'd like to THANKYOU for taking the time and effort to put it on here mate, it really will help us out
Also i'd like to say a really, really big THANKYOU to everyone else aswell. It's people like yourselves that really make an excellent website truely outstanding. Nice one!

Dave
Old 16-01-2005, 11:35 AM
buffyturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

A a big thank you to Baseboy.... i no you have helped dave understand alot clearer now and thank you to every one else for your advice to dave xxxx

we are all here to support you dave you no that 100%....

if your dad is like you... im sure he will be positive (coz you are ) keep smiling and remember i am here for you xxxx

coz your my bestest friend in the whole wide world

Old 16-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Daveyraveygravy

Thanks Buff you are a superstar mate

My Dad is like me, we both like a good FLAP! So u can imagine what we were like when we both found out, a pair of big FLAPPERS!
Old 16-01-2005, 05:47 PM
buffyturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Old 16-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bassboy What a star..!

My Dad also has diabetes and with not living under the same roof as him any more, I do worry about him alone in the house...
After reading your post, I realised I wouldn't have actually know what to do if he had a fit

I've printed this post of and will give it a good read.
Old 17-01-2005, 12:06 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by MR COSSIE 4X4

Looking back, he has for a while been, felling very tired all the time, had cravings for chocolate (but i think he is just addicted ) going to the toilet a lot. His aunt had it, and i believe his nan also had it, so to be honest i was half expecting it, but i was still a bit worried when i found out, especially because i know he hates hospitals and going to the Dr's (Long story!).

bassboy, i realise how long it must have taken to write that excellent information out, and i'd like to THANKYOU for taking the time and effort to put it on here mate, it really will help us out
Also i'd like to say a really, really big THANKYOU to everyone else aswell. It's people like yourselves that really make an excellent website truely outstanding. Nice one!

Dave
Hey there dave, no worries about the reply...im just trying to help in any way i can...as i have first person experience about diabeties, i am not shy to help or talk about it to others...and im glad i can be of assistance...

I have a folder here explaining ALL about diabeties that i am looking to type up one day (its from a primary school project!) and will either post up or send you a copy if you like? has some very useful facts and things in there...got an A for it and an award

the reason your dad was feeling like that is because they are some of the main symtoms of diabeties...the rest are

passing water regularly (as sugar level stays high...no insulin in blood)
loosing weight (but it will go back on once he starts his medication)
sweaty palms (when sugar level goes low)
constant thirst and dehydration (sugar level being too high)
hunger
headaches/being sick

some might not appear to have taken place as it all depends on how the sugar level was maintained before diagnoses

i see you have said that you have had a family history of it...the best thing to do is every so often get yourself checked out (once a year maybe twice) and see how your body is doing...the docs WILL pick up on something if there are any signs of diabeties....however, if you do experience any of the above, then make sure you go to the docs and have a word...i still remember when i first was diagnosed with diabeties when i was 5!!! was too young to understand what it meant though

i also saw your father doesnt like hospitals or docs...just remember to HAS to go for checks etc no matter what happens especially as he is still unsure of how to control it etc...while your dad is in the hospital...try not to worry as the hospital will teach him the basics of what to do in every sort of situation

another good way of telling if someones sugar level is going low is by looking into their eyes...if they seem distant or taking a little while to reply, something is not right...

also check to see if they are sweating or getting hot. If their eyes start to dull and get red, they will need something sugary very quickly...

another good method is to see how they are acting believe it or not...the lower their sugar level is dropping, the more 'sillier' they will become...its hard to explain it but when my sugar level drops, i tend to get silly and keep joking etc once i have eaten, i stop messing about and stop laughing to easily its hard to explain and im not too sure if you will understand that bit

Everyone else...thank you for your kind words and like i said, im just trying to help him/you out in the best way possible

Dave, if there is anything you would like to talk about or anything you would like to ask about diabeties...please do feel free to either reply here, PM or email/add on messenger - bassboy_loud@hotmail.com and i will do my best to help the same goes for anybody else who would like to ask questions or just find out more stuff....will make a change from al the ICE questions

bassboy
Old 17-01-2005, 12:12 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Alan Ramsay
Bassboy What a star..!

My Dad also has diabetes and with not living under the same roof as him any more, I do worry about him alone in the house...
After reading your post, I realised I wouldn't have actually know what to do if he had a fit

I've printed this post of and will give it a good read.
Hi Alan, seemed to have missed this reply i have myself wanted to move out of home and live by myself while at uni, however my parents have always been a bit insecure about me doing so all down to the same thoughts you must be having right now...with them wondering if i will be able to look after myself, eat correctly, do injections on time, what will happen if anything goes wrong with my levels etc etc etc

however, there is nothing you can really do but pray nothing will happen...the risks are the same whether you are living with someone or living by yourself...it all comes down to how well you can control your sugar levels and stick to a PROPER diet.

As long as your dad eats properly and is able to recognise the signs of when his level is too low or too high, he will be fine

and everytime u do come to worry...give him a ring mate and have a little talk...and i know he will assure you everything is ok it will make your mind ease the worry although i know it will never go away

im glad my posts are of help to you
Old 17-01-2005, 12:21 AM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well done amerdeep (basboy)
and every one else

Old 17-01-2005, 12:25 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

oh i forgot to add...

one MAJOR factor that plays a role with sugar levels is the amount of sleep that you get...for example, if you are up all night with worry or just generally cant sleep and are tossing and turning all night, it WILL drive your sugar level DOWN! Even in cases where i have spent all night doing nothing but talking on the phone while laying in bed, i have found that when i wake up in the morning, my sugar level is low...sometimes VERY low! and even by taking the necessary food, it is still very difficult to bring my sugar level back up to where it should be and carry on with my day

If you notice that when a diabetic wakes up and their feet are cold or they are complaining of a bad headache and just want to go back to sleep...it means their sugar level is going down...or it has gone down so low that its going to be VERY difficult to bring it back up without any consequences...

generally the consequences are:

VERY bad headache which will NOT go away...usualy tends to be on the forhead more towards one side than the other

Nausia for a good number of hours

basically they will experience the same effects as they would if they have had a full on hypo fit...without having one...if that makes sense? again, if this is the case...they will need a day or so to recover fully

if this is the case (even if they have a fit)...then the following is what should be done while they are recovering:

be close by so you can hear the person wake up, move about or call for you

massage their head while they are trying to get to sleep...the pain from the headache will be pretty much unbearable and WILL stop them from sleeping

keep a bucket nearby and if they are sick...was it out asap

check their sugar level regularly...every hour and a half or 2 hours is ok...if sugar level is about 6-7...give them something to drink...lucozade will be best as they wont be able to stomach for long...aim to keep their sugar level about 12-13 while they recover

as soon as possible and as soon as they feel up to it, give them something VERY light to eat...soup or toast with butter is good as well as a paracetomol if their headache is too much

if they are awake and cant/dont want to sleep, then just talk to them, try to take their mind off the pain

thats about all you can do to be honest

so in short...makesure your dad gets as much sleep as he needs and if he is staying awake longer and sleeping less sometimes...make sure he eats to compensate for it

ok ill shut up now

bassboy
Old 17-01-2005, 12:26 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Geez been writing those replies for about half hour

bassboy
Old 17-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Daveyraveygravy