General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

F.A.O 7.5 tonne drivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
bazzal
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F.A.O 7.5 tonne drivers

Hey all

Just wanted peoples experiences of driving the above vehicles.

At minute i'm a self employed fitter, however the work has gone real real quiet,with no real signs of it getting busy, so i thought about doing some temporary agency work driving 7.5 lorries until it/if picks back up.

I've sent my application off for my digi tacho, registered with the agencies who said as soon as the tacho comes through they can place me.

I last drove a 7.5 tonner about 12 years ago, and it was only for a couple of weeks, but have driven loads of Luton box vans in recent years, so admittedly a little nervous about getting back behind the wheel.

So am really asking for pointers to driving the more modern day ones, are they limited to 56mph, and things i should know about driving.

My mum in law works for a large haulage company, where they use these, so am going to see if i can have a drive round there yard in 1 to kind of familiarise myself again.

Any advice/tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks all

Baz.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there a overgrown van get in a real lorry

just watch your loads etc,topheavy and fast corner equals disaster,they tend to be light on the front wheels so will skip abit,and try not to drive it like a twat like most of em do
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

I drive a s reg daf sometimes, it's not limited, to be honest. Don't be wary, there easy to drive.

Just like a longer car lol
Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't murder any hookers
Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 PM
bazzal
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

lol, no hooker killing will be happening,

Cheers for the replies Kosman and AJC, kind of put my mind at ease..... a bit, lol.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by bazzal
Hey all

Just wanted peoples experiences of driving the above vehicles.

At minute i'm a self employed fitter, however the work has gone real real quiet,with no real signs of it getting busy, so i thought about doing some temporary agency work driving 7.5 lorries until it/if picks back up.

I've sent my application off for my digi tacho, registered with the agencies who said as soon as the tacho comes through they can place me.

I last drove a 7.5 tonner about 12 years ago, and it was only for a couple of weeks, but have driven loads of Luton box vans in recent years, so admittedly a little nervous about getting back behind the wheel.

So am really asking for pointers to driving the more modern day ones, are they limited to 56mph, and things i should know about driving.

My mum in law works for a large haulage company, where they use these, so am going to see if i can have a drive round there yard in 1 to kind of familiarise myself again.

Any advice/tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks all

Baz.
Every thing past a late y is limited to 56mph! and u will find most places wont take u on without any tacho experience
Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 PM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

Aye Piece of cake to drive .. They dont have Hi-low boxes or range changers like proper wagons ...

The older ones like Leyland road-runners are License losers so beware ..