General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My Spec C mapped for race fuel and achieving 600+bhp on a GT30!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010 | 04:38 PM
Fagin
Advanced PassionFord User

Default My Spec C mapped for race fuel and achieving 600+bhp on a GT30!

Well it's been just over a year since the latest Tracktive built hi-comp Cosworth 2.5 engine was built and what a way to celebrate that..... by whacking in a jollop of C16 Race Fuel this week!

I'm going to try and keep this as to the point as possible, but need to explain some things first.

Baseline Run on VPower
To find a baseline to measure logical increases between the CURRENT VPower HUB power and previous Flywheel dyno runs (i.e. the last Dyno Dynamics runs which showed 530bhp), I asked Tracktive Solutions to perform a run as is (normal shopping car spec ). We both knew that the previous HUB figures attained when the car was initially mapped on the HUB dyno, immediately after the engine build, were meaningless now. Since that original dyno map, the car was then tweaked on the road, with boost and ignition being reduced at my request and the overall map was fine tuned. I knew what the car was going to be put through at last years ScoobySprint, so it made sense to be over cautious in my view. Anyway.... that is chicken soup, as what it ended up being (and never re-ran on Tracktives Hub Dyno till this week) is exactly what it was for ScoobySprint and exactly what it was for the recent dyno run on a Dyno Dynamics RR, and certainly exactly as the car is NOW.

The car was ran a couple of times and achieved just over 445bhp/459lbft at the HUBS on high boost (1.9bar peak / 1.8 peak power).

Car was left on the HUB dyno and the VPower was drained from the tank.

10ltrs of C16 was then whacked in the fuel tank and the remap and power runs followed.

Race Fuel Runs
The first couple of runs after initial mapping showed a HUB figure of 518bhp! That was an increase of 73bhp!! I was very pleased and Richard Bulmer was quite happy! lol If you take in to account this was only with increasing ignition as the boost map remained untouched.

I spoke to Richard and he said there was no det and the engine was very responsive to the fuel. It certainly sounded very smooth and just ripped through the gear. I then said I didn't want anymore boost but suggested some more ignition if he thought it was worth it.

After a bit more mapping and another couple of runs, the car managed these figures back to back twice at the HUBS!

That was with +12degs of ignition over my standard VPower map and a totally untouched boost map (green line) of 1.92bar peak and 1.85bar at peak power!! This gave an increase of 83bhp over the VPower baseline dyno run, completed a couple of hours before.

Obviously I was over the moon and by using some form of logic (but obviously no exact science), it would point towards a flywheel figure past 600bhp (either by adding circa 80bhp to the previous 530bhp fly figure or by adding 15% to the HUB figure)! Only one way to prove that out right, and no doubt it will get a flywheel run sometime in the near future. Saying that though 83bhp increase is just that and was measured on the same day, so it all seems about right to me. Unfortunately it was starting to get late (just past 8:30pm) and it was a shame Richard did not have the time to wind more boost in (which I then wanted to do, to at least 2bar held) and/or increase the ignition again. Even at this level there was no sign of DET at all. Also worth taking in to account I have ran this turbo at up to 2.5bar before.

I had to take the car out for a quick spin on this map and all I can say is that it totally blew me away. It was like driving a totally different car, with a new engine. Having the response of the GT30 I had, but with another whack of torque and power..... it was flaming awesome on the road!

Again.... many thanks to Tracktive Solutions for their work and enthusiasim, and hat's off to AET Turbos for provided a "REAL" GT30 (no GT32 turbine housing on this turbo), that did not need a billet wheel to produce such figures.
Old 08-05-2010 | 04:41 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Fantastic that Frayz, glad it's all come together mate, Richard you WON'T go wrong with really mate as we both know..
Old 08-05-2010 | 04:44 PM
Fagin

This aint Frayz, Pete.... It's Shaun!!! roflol
Old 08-05-2010 | 04:49 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Damn good results there Fagin

What do you mean by a "real" GT30?
Old 08-05-2010 | 04:50 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Fagin
This aint Frayz, Pete.... It's Shaun!!! roflol
PMSL Sean, i meant Fagin....

That's cus i was looking @ his thread earlier today on SN....

Anyway, my post still remains how i say..

You sprinting in it this year mate??

A Sean, has Rob North sold his Spec C??
Old 08-05-2010 | 04:52 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Great result

C16 is brilliant stuff for the money, if you feel like complete lunacy (and a big bill) - try some VP Import
Old 08-05-2010 | 04:54 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Nice one Shaun......... sounds like a proper old monster..........

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2010 | 04:59 PM
Fagin

Hi Rich,
Thank you sir.

Regards the "real" comment.... does not mean much to you Ford guys, so I should of edited that bit out, sorry.
Old 08-05-2010 | 05:05 PM
Fagin

Pete,
ROFLOL

Not doing ScoobySprint this year as it is not happening for 2010. Fingers crossed for next year though. Hope to have a play in some other events this year though.

Yes mate, Rob has sold his Spec C.

Will,
Thanks!

Tracktive advised it would not be worth using VP Import on my current spec. But if I get the next engine built......

Tiff,
Hi mate.... hows it going?
Old 08-05-2010 | 05:08 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Im good Shaun, hows you............. Get some pictures up of the Scooby mate, would love to see it....
Old 08-05-2010 | 05:39 PM
Fagin

Mark,
Not too bad mate..... life is fairly relaxed nowdays.

As regards to the Scoob, it still looks the same as the first day I bought it mate!

Taking it very easy around Snetterton late last year at a public track day -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubvyDqOUR5M

ScoobySprint

Old 08-05-2010 | 05:42 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Looks like it goes well fella.............