General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

diagnistic code readers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010 | 04:41 PM
diesel
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnistic code readers?

im thinking on buying one but dont know anything about them or have never seen one being used, are that easy to use?

are the universal ones any good? if i was to buy one i would only spend about £100 max and could i get a tidy one for that?

any advice would be great plus what one would you recomend for that type of price

thanks diesel
Old 07-05-2010 | 05:17 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

very easy to use on most vehicles - just plug in to the universal OBD port and off you go. have a look on here:

http://www.e-diagnostics.co.uk/
Old 07-05-2010 | 08:40 PM
diesel
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
very easy to use on most vehicles - just plug in to the universal OBD port and off you go. have a look on here:

http://www.e-diagnostics.co.uk/
n1 mate do most common cars use the same plug or is every make (ford vauxhall etc.....) use different ones?
Old 07-05-2010 | 09:03 PM
CBenno
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Yer most modern cars use a 16 pin plug older cars have all sorts of different shaped and sized plugs
Old 07-05-2010 | 09:35 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

the clue was the use of the word 'universal'
Old 08-05-2010 | 05:57 AM
diesel
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
the clue was the use of the word 'universal'

lol universal means nothing when your buying from ebay you should know that thay will sell anything everything is universal lmao
Old 08-05-2010 | 09:12 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi mate,I use a mac tools one,cost me£90 from the rep but he dosent do us any favours so that should be about right.it should work on any car post 1996 through the obd2 port.It's an amazing tool,so handy my one reads codes stored even if no eml on,it can erase them as well which some cheapy ones can't,the only car I've had trouble connecting to is my 1998 corsa which apparently is a problem even for the big machines as you can often only connect them upto a vauxhall tech 1 unit.I was told it wouldn't work on vws as they use a different connector but that's total crap,it works everytime on them.be aware though that it can sometimes only give you a generic fault like on a Clio this week we've been doing,single cylinder misfire,cylinder not specified,how handy!!if u haven't got one,get hold of an autodata cd,pm me if ur stuck,as this gives u obd connector location points,fault code explanations etc,wiring diagrams,component locations so it all ties in nice.in fairness it got the Clio down to an injector wiring fault which turned out to be a tiny break in the loom up by the multiplug,we changed coilpack and one injector as well which cleared three of the faults but it still came up with the wiring problem which I was very impressed with,re soldered and all was well!!