General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

This Makes me sick!!!!....

Search this Thread

Old 28-04-2010, 11:17 AM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Makes me sick!!!!....

Ok, first off here is the link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/8647824.stm

Here is the Story

Soldier who drove at 143mph on M40 escapes driving ban

A soldier who drove at 143mph (230km/h) on the M40 in Warwickshire has been allowed to keep his licence so that he can save lives in Afghanistan. Kameron Edmondson, 20, of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, from Blackburn, Lancashire, had pleaded guilty to speeding in July.
He had thought he was being chased, Warwick Crown Court heard.
The judge said it set a bad example but without his licence the soldier could not help to clear roadside bombs.
'Appalling behaviour'
Earlier the prosecution dropped a dangerous driving charge against Mr Edmondson, who it acknowledged had previously had a clean licence and had been driving more slowly before he sped past an unmarked police car.
Judge Marten Coates told him:"You richly deserve to be disqualified because of this appalling behaviour on the motorway, which is what I was going to do."
He said imposing a driving ban would prevent Mr Edmondson from being able to train for his military role in Afghanistan.
"It is a matter of balancing two different public interests, and the saving of lives must be the more important.
"I must allow you to remain in the role you do, which is essential for our armed forces."
Judge Coates said at Friday's hearing that Mr Edmondson would not be on the roads for long before going on his next tour of duty.
The soldier was given six points on his licence, fined £300 and ordered to pay £80 costs with a £15 surcharge.

Now this makes me sick.

It states that he ''thought'' he was being chased. Yet he passed the Unmarked Police car? Why did he call the police of a suspected chase.
Now apparntly he needs this licence, well frankly, doing 143mph is appaling, he could of killed someone, yet the court let him off without a driving ban, you know what makes me sick, that if it was someone else, such as other public doing this, they would be bummed dry!. he got a 300£ fine? he should have got alot more, more like £1000.

The Law! is fucked up!....

He broken the law, Its not like hes the only one in the army, that could drive. i'm sure there is someone else, and he should be suppended for it.

If it was one of us, we would lose our job, and licence, home, EVERYTHING!..
Old 28-04-2010, 11:21 AM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

Give him a break hes probably gonna get blown up in 6 months time anyway
Old 28-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Alot of people get to keep their licenses due to needing them for their work, regardless of how silly they are. The courts respect peoples right to make a living for themselves. I would say the job he does has a massive bearing on this individual case and I believe the judge is justified in his decision.

I'm sure the young lad will learn about appropriate speed.
Old 28-04-2010, 11:26 AM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Rick Astley
Alot of people get to keep their licenses due to needing them for their work, regardless of how silly they are. The courts respect peoples right to make a living for themselves. I would say the job he does has a massive bearing on this individual case and I believe the judge is justified in his decision.

I'm sure the young lad will learn about appropriate speed.
I disagree, there is pleny of other people in the Army that can his job.
Why will he learn? getting out the easy way.. Surely not.

I red before about someone being banned for doing just over 100mph. Yet he needed his licence to pull a living, yet he got into some big bother. Yet the police, the courts look, see, and BANNED.

he walks in, and because he blows up a few booms, its ok. Sorry, but the hole army is a farse anyways, so is that prick Gorden brown who thinks sending someone to other countrys to fight there war is NOT war. Army is like the new social club, every chav wants in.. War is protecting your country, Not someone elses.
Old 28-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont think anyone should be banned for just speeding, unless they are actually doing anything dangerous, the laws in our country are ridiculous.

The 70mph limit is just so hopelessly out of date, modern cars are acceptably safe at well over 100mph if driving appropriately.

so it never makes me sick to hear of the stupid law that shouldnt exist in the first place not being used on someone.
Old 28-04-2010, 11:42 AM
chettle
Regular Contributor

Si.... shut up! you know as well as i do your no speeding saint.... and then to go and insult the men who fight for our country.

143mph on the motorway is safe if the car is upto the job, you would be posting a completly different story if it was someone you know getting caught
Old 28-04-2010, 11:43 AM
chettle
Regular Contributor

oops... multi-post!

Trending Topics

Old 28-04-2010, 11:46 AM
MONSTER
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Fair play to him I say, he got off with it.

Any one of us would have used the same defence if we could
Old 28-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If it was busy road then he should have been clobbered.

If however it was a clear road, the car was in good order and capable of such speeds and the conditions were acceptable then personally I couldn't care if the chap had been doing 170mph.

The way we are force fed this speed is bad BS is unreal and more and more people seem to think speed is the bee all and end all of every accident/injury that happens on the roads by plucking at heart strings.
Old 28-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Chip
I dont think anyone should be banned for just speeding, unless they are actually doing anything dangerous, the laws in our country are ridiculous.

The 70mph limit is just so hopelessly out of date, modern cars are acceptably safe at well over 100mph if driving appropriately.

so it never makes me sick to hear of the stupid law that shouldnt exist in the first place not being used on someone.
Agreed, but 143mph is not on.
Old 28-04-2010, 12:28 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

143MPH!!! = no ban?! WTF!!!!

at that speed no way should he have kept his licence

i agree with you there tho chip about how 70MPH is out of date, that certainly should be changed!
Old 28-04-2010, 12:41 PM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip

Well said speed doesent kill dangerous driving does