General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

St Georges day

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2010, 10:55 AM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St Georges day

Whose out for a good drink then ? I do every year and seems to be getting more popular. Wonder how many of the english plastic paddies with there green hats will be out ? Probably the same lot who claim englands gone down the pan yet wont show some pride to there day but will for another countries.
Old 22-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Advanced PassionFord User

Our pub in Eton Wick (Windsor) is doing all drinks at £2.50 for the day. Going to decorate the pub in England flags and make a good day of it.

Didnt do a Paddys day event, like everyone else, as we are in England not Ireland. Seems now days you cant celebrate being English as its not PC.
Old 22-04-2010, 11:06 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

Most of the local villages and towns near me have got St Georges crosses hanging from each shop. Very nice to see.
Old 22-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Certainly have a few flags up by tomorrow morning.
Old 22-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Mate of mine got told by the council if if puts st geaorges flags up outside his pub they may prosecute him....?!!

He's gonna do it anyway,f**k em he said

Last edited by Cragrat; 22-04-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 22-04-2010, 11:50 AM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Where my mother lives her village is full of flags is a first for the whole village, pubs, shops everything.
Old 22-04-2010, 12:35 PM
zedtechs
Regular Contributor

Problem is most of the other saints are actually relevent to there country, and unfortunatley St George is celebrated in several other countries including Kosovo.........and I believe St George was Turkish?

I'm all for St George's day just think we should celebrate something English!!!!
Old 22-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

fly the flags and have a few drinks cos i will be deffo.
Old 22-04-2010, 01:29 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zedtechs
Problem is most of the other saints are actually relevent to there country, and unfortunatley St George is celebrated in several other countries including Kosovo.........and I believe St George was Turkish?

I'm all for St George's day just think we should celebrate something English!!!!
I'm fully aware of that , But if for only one day a year it can get the English back in the English it's a goer for me.
Old 22-04-2010, 01:49 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

lol I remember you preaching this one last year John
fair play though, I can't stand St Patricks day same old cliche shit every year, and who wants to celebrate anything Irish anyway
Even over here it was green shite everywhere, Irish pubs are as common as Chinese Bizzares now
Old 22-04-2010, 02:58 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ballin
lol I remember you preaching this one last year John
fair play though, I can't stand St Patricks day same old cliche shit every year, and who wants to celebrate anything Irish anyway
Even over here it was green shite everywhere, Irish pubs are as common as Chinese Bizzares now
Same in the pubs round Riveira Rich.

Looking at my new place in Alicante when i go back out in september there all the same as well looking on the pub websites.

More preaching yab yab yab
Old 22-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Vicar John, i'm with you in the sense that its a bit weak that people don't celebrate it, yet i have been in firms where they made everyone wear green 'n stuff for St Patricks and all go the pub.

Im suprised the PF branch of the BNP aint been on yet.

It should be celebrated a bit more i think. The tabloids don't help with stories about people being forced to remove flags for being deemed racist.

Yours, a proud Englishman.
Old 22-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

St georges ay should be a national holiday. How come (where i live atleast) on st patricks day everyone acts irish, but people only care about england during the world cup?
Old 22-04-2010, 03:33 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

flags n booze..................
Old 24-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great yesterday was.

I popped back to Reading yesterday for the first time in ages and I can't believe how many people got into the spirit of things. Flags booze and a great day. No trouble what so ever and a brilliant atmosphere.
It's got to be the best St Georges day I've seen EVER
Old 24-04-2010, 10:29 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by zedtechs
I don't know where this he was a Turk thing came from, but The Turks didn't exist when St George was about, as St George lived 300bc and the Turks did not come about until a thousand years later. And even so, if he was a Turk, it would have made him Muslim. But he was Christian.

St George was actually a Roman Soldier born in Palestine, Israel!! He is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres (Spain), Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Milan, Pomorie, Preston, Salford, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Barcelona, Moscow Tamworth and the Maltese island of Gozo, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations, and disease sufferers.

St Patrick, while the patron saint of Ireland was actually from.... Cumbria!!!

St Andrew was born in a city near the River Jordan.

You will be very lucky to find a Saint actually a patron of their own country. But its more of the ideals that Saint stood for that means countries take them on as a Patron Saint. St George is a Military Saint, and it a representation as a protector of England and a representation of our strength which was used extensively during the Crusades.

In London we had a parade, almost all the pubs in Mayfair were flying the Flags and every pub was RAMED.

I hope it carries on.