General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Wheel help/offset

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel help/offset

Right bare with me on this please.....

I need some help getting my head round this....

Current wheels run with longer studs and spacers, the wheels are et35 and the spacers are 20mm. The wheel itself is 7j

Now the issue is the 195 50 15 tyre is about 10mm away from shock leg, I want to fit wider tyres on the car. Which are 225 50 15. These are for drag runs only.

To clear shock i need a wheel with a lower offset. Would a et 15 with 20mm spacer sort the issue? Or would going upto a wider rim 8j or 9j help at all.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Ben M
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

et15 and 20mm will sort it but will they stick out too far?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Currently they stick in a bit

Need to find some though now.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Ben M
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

wil make it about right then im not sure how going bigger j will help with clearence might be worth speaking with somewhere like comp and seeing if they will make you some?

please remember measure twice cut once though
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
project rs
Advanced PassionFord User

with a 225 you really should go to the 8j rim so the tyres not getting pinched and will sit better and you will need a lower offset but gary runs the 215's on a et35 with 14mm spacers so you might want to try someone's to see how they sit if you get my drift he'll have several ones for you to try at weekend if you bring the trolley
Old 12-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by project rs
with a 225 you really should go to the 8j rim so the tyres not getting pinched and will sit better and you will need a lower offset but gary runs the 215's on a et35 with 14mm spacers so you might want to try someone's to see how they sit if you get my drift he'll have several ones for you to try at weekend if you bring the trolley

Just on the text to Gary at mo

He not used 225 before so looks like im going to struggle too.

I have seen these jobbies but im not sure I like the idea

http://www.carnoisseurdirect.com/epa...2148%209106%22
Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 PM
turbotoaster
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

since these are for drag racing it doesnt make a difference if they come past the wheel arch and because its fwd the suspension wont compress down then launching.

if you currently have 10mm of room going up to a 225 tyre may cause an issue as you have gained 30mm of tread, or 15mm towards your suspension.

your options are to run the tyres on your 7j rims, this is fine because your going in a straight line, not cornering. if you do use this wheels, run a 15mm spacer on it and you will in have the same amount of room you originally had.

This makes the assumption that the closest part to the suspension was the upper edge of the tyre and not the part where the tyre meets the rim.

can you be specific on where the closest point is and we can advise further
Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by turbotoaster
since these are for drag racing it doesnt make a difference if they come past the wheel arch and because its fwd the suspension wont compress down then launching.

if you currently have 10mm of room going up to a 225 tyre may cause an issue as you have gained 30mm of tread, or 15mm towards your suspension.

your options are to run the tyres on your 7j rims, this is fine because your going in a straight line, not cornering. if you do use this wheels, run a 15mm spacer on it and you will in have the same amount of room you originally had.

This makes the assumption that the closest part to the suspension was the upper edge of the tyre and not the part where the tyre meets the rim.

can you be specific on where the closest point is and we can advise further
Will slip the tyre on the spare rims tomorrow then get it on the car.

Then this should highlight the exact contact point and extra spacing needed.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotoaster
If fouling is a possibility it needs to be taken into consideration as Luke could need to brake heavily (say his opponent swerves) and the last thing he needs is for the arches to clout the wheels!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
S1

Luke, I run 7X15 et25 with no spacers on Leda coilovers. If i went to 8X15 to fit my 225 R888's I would need to go to et12.5 to keep the same distance from the wheel edge to the shock. So going up by 1J on the width means you need to reduce the offset for the same wheel/tyre shock clearance. If you need to use spacers I try to keep to a minimum so you still get the centring effect of the centre spigot. Either that or use hubcentric but the minimum is about 14mm spacers.

Ive not tried my 888's yet but reckon they're gonna be a git to fit tbh!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
If fouling is a possibility it needs to be taken into consideration as Luke could need to brake heavily (say his opponent swerves) and the last thing he needs is for the arches to clout the wheels!
Good point raised Dan, need to get these fitted and see whats what... At the moment its looking tight
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by S1
If you need to use spacers I try to keep to a minimum so you still get the centring effect of the centre spigot. Either that or use hubcentric but the minimum is about 14mm spacers.
Personally I wouldn't recommend non-hubcentrics for the front. FK Automotive do (or at least did) a wide range. Think the ones I had were 10mm.

What are you predictions then Lukeyboy? Or at least what times are you hoping for?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

They'll step out as said above, but won't matter if their just for strip use. Near enough all the Honda Civic boys use them at Pod, so has Mr. Orpen on his RS...

Old 12-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by S1
Luke, I run 7X15 et25 with no spacers on Leda coilovers. If i went to 8X15 to fit my 225 R888's I would need to go to et12.5 to keep the same distance from the wheel edge to the shock. So going up by 1J on the width means you need to reduce the offset for the same wheel/tyre shock clearance. If you need to use spacers I try to keep to a minimum so you still get the centring effect of the centre spigot. Either that or use hubcentric but the minimum is about 14mm spacers.

Ive not tried my 888's yet but reckon they're gonna be a git to fit tbh!

Many thanks Will look into it all tomorrow.

Personally I wouldn't recommend non-hubcentrics for the front. FK Automotive do (or at least did) a wide range. Think the ones I had were 10mm.

What are you predictions then Lukeyboy? Or at least what times are you hoping for?

Ooooh now theres a question mate...!

If i can get these larger tyres on and have the car running and mapped how we plan to on Saturday. Then personally I see no issue in a high 11 the car should be doing 11s easy with power so just need to sort it so it does!
Old 13-04-2010, 08:00 AM
S1

What are you predictions then Lukeyboy? Or at least what times are you hoping for
Neither do I tbh but if you stick to a couple of mill you still have the centreing effect of the spigot. When I ordered my Comp CXR's I spent a while with playing different offset wheels to get it spot on so I wouldn't need spacers. Even when I ordered them I was told they were the wrong offset but they are spot on.

I doubt your hub centrics were as low as 10mm as that doesnt leave enough meat around the spacer centric part. The smallest Ive found is 14mm.
Old 13-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by S1
Neither do I tbh but if you stick to a couple of mill you still have the centreing effect of the spigot. When I ordered my Comp CXR's I spent a while with playing different offset wheels to get it spot on so I wouldn't need spacers. Even when I ordered them I was told they were the wrong offset but they are spot on.

I doubt your hub centrics were as low as 10mm as that doesnt leave enough meat around the spacer centric part. The smallest Ive found is 14mm.
My hubcentrics are 20mm that are on the car currently.

Half day today so will have a fiddle this afternoon
Old 13-04-2010, 08:55 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if i've read this right, you are curently effectivly running an et15 offset, et35-20mm on a 7j rim

if you want to go up to 8j, and don't forget that the 8 j will be wider than an 8inch width as you still need to account for teh bits of metal that fold around for the beads, you would then need to run a rim that will give you your (rough guestimate of) 120mm of clearance to the shock let from the face of the rim (if you take into account that you will have the 20mm spacer still in there

so whatever wheel you chose, put it face down and measure the face fron the inside rim which should give you what you need

i'm sure there are computer programs on the interweb that will giev you the neceassry's to do this?
Old 13-04-2010, 09:07 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

there you go