General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MK3 mondeo tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
l-oakley
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile MK3 mondeo tuning

Afternoon ladys and gents I currently own a mk3 mondeo 1.8 with a. 2.0 coversion by ford. Been doing alot of research on tuning the duratec well I have found some rather good info mainly cosworth but seen some people turbo,in the 2.0 but then seen threads of people installng the 2.3 from a mazda 3/6 or the ford ranger I have seen sites which sells th full install just under £4k my question is Would the 2.5 duratec st 5pot fit? I know it would need a custom manifold and intercooler. Dose a anyone know anybody who's already done the install
Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Would it be easier to buy an already fast different car?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:53 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

As Mr. Chop states - you'd be way better off buying a different car in the first place. The 2.5 V6 Mk3 can be had for peanuts these days, so spending over 4K on a conversion would be a nuts way to go about it.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM
l-oakley
BANNED
BANNED

Thanks for the reply I wouldn't of posted if I wanted to change to somthing with more faster I love my mondeo to much and would be a pain the backside
thanks for your opinion though mate.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:03 PM
l-oakley
BANNED
BANNED

Thanks for the reply I wouldn't of posted if I wanted to change to somthing with more faster I love my mondeo to much and would be a pain the backside
thanks for your opinion though mate.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cosworth inlet for the 2 litre duratec gives a decent hike in power. mate of mine had it on his, with a stainless exhaust and induction kit, and it recently made 178BHP on the rollers, but the torque was only around 130 iirc, plus the cosworth inlet isnt cheap. as already said, MK3 V6 2.5 are cheap as chips, you get the neck end of 170BHP as standard, and more torque. plus if you fit the ST200 UIM LIM etc, that takes it to 205BHP, add a stainless exhaust and induction kit, and you could be looking at 210BHP for not a great deal of money.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:10 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think the 5 pot could fit but...youd need custom mounts and alot of custom stuff to get it in

new gearbox maybe, all the electrics etc etc

my advice would be to turbo/supercharge the engine you have now, its the same engine as a fiesta st basically and alot of people supercharge those so that could be an easier option (wouldnt imagine space to be an issue in a mondeo bay if itll fit in a fiesta!?) if you want a charged car

but for n/a exhaust, induction kit, remap, different inlet, head work etc etc

a 2.3 conversion would be great in either form, and they can be bored out to 2.5

what kind of thing are you wanting at the end of it? charged or n/a? power? and what sort of budget do you have?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 PM
l-oakley
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by jammerrs
i think the 5 pot could fit but...youd need custom mounts and alot of custom stuff to get it in

new gearbox maybe, all the electrics etc etc

my advice would be to turbo/supercharge the engine you have now, its the same engine as a fiesta st basically and alot of people supercharge those so that could be an easier option (wouldnt imagine space to be an issue in a mondeo bay if itll fit in a fiesta!?) if you want a charged car

but for n/a exhaust, induction kit, remap, different inlet, head work etc etc

a 2.3 conversion would be great in either form, and they can be bored out to 2.5

what kind of thing are you wanting at the end of it? charged or n/a? power? and what sort of budget do you have?
my budget is proberly around 5k might be able to stretch thanks for info dude. i think going down the 5pot route id perfer not going down the 2.5 V6 route
Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 PM
bythomson
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

yeah supercharger al the way think i read a magazine not long ago with a turbod mondeo was pretty cool
make a cool sleeper aswell and a very comfy cruiser
Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 PM
bythomson
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

do burton not do a set of throttle bodies for the duratec aswell could be difffernt a duratec with cosworth parts and set of throttle bodies
Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

quite a few places do throttle bodies for them, would be a wicked in a mondy

l-oakley - i think you may have mis understood my last post.....there is a 4 pot 2.3 duratec engine (i dont think uk cars have them - the block has to be imported from america) that can be bored out to 2.5, this would give you alot more torque but loose a few potential high rpms.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
l-oakley
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by jammerrs
quite a few places do throttle bodies for them, would be a wicked in a mondy

l-oakley - i think you may have mis understood my last post.....there is a 4 pot 2.3 duratec engine (i dont think uk cars have them - the block has to be imported from america) that can be bored out to 2.5, this would give you alot more torque but loose a few potential high rpms.
yes the 2.3 duratec was the main engine i did my research on they come from the Ford Ranger over in the US but like ive put in my first post it would cost 4k for full install i so was asking would the Ford Focus ST 5pot fit i think the biggest problem would be the Gearbox/driveshalfs. thats also why i was asking if anyone has done the conversion

regards luke.