General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How easy is it to open a US Bank Account?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How easy is it to open a US Bank Account?

As above I want to open an account with B of A or Citibank but wondered if its possible to do over here rather than go over there to do it? If not then what sort of documentation would I need to take over to the US to obtain an account?

Cheers
Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to file a tax return over there annually on the account and to demonstrate your tax status but if you are in the states you can open one in 5 minutes if you have the right paper work, l had a B of A account for a few years, but did open it in branch in Ft Lauderdale

Mike
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok cool cheers, sounds like it might be easier to wait until June when I go. What sort of paperwork did you have to take with you? Do you still need to file a tax return over there regardless of where you open it?

Chris
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster
Ok cool cheers, sounds like it might be easier to wait until June when I go. What sort of paperwork did you have to take with you? Do you still need to file a tax return over there regardless of where you open it?

Chris
You will need your passport and it is handy to take any other form of ID/ Proof of income etc with you, they may not need it but its handy.

The tax form is to tell the IRS that you are not a US citizen and not liable for US tax but needs completing each year for this or did when l had an account.

It really is a quick exercise to walk in and open it, they normally give you temporay cards there and then as well.