General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Insurance con!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010 | 12:20 AM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by speedy-tom
jesus, con?
He lives in a low risk postcode (Lower risk than mine, lucky git ), no criminal record, has pass plus, passed test 1st time. I find it dodgy how he can pay a large sum of money for a Smart car that doesn't even have a 1L engine.

My sisters boyfriend, who lives in a higher risk postcode drives a Saxo (Known boy racer car) that has been slightly modified. He pays much less than my mate, how does that work? He's 19 but surely 2 years can't make that much of a difference
Old 05-04-2010 | 12:58 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
there are some early corsas i think that are the lowest insurance braket there is just get one of those for about £800 and insure it third party prob be £1000.
Problem is all the small low insurance group old corsas and banger fiestas now have a shocking claims history as in the last 10 years they have been popular with CHAV cunts whove then crashed them after barrying them up to the max

So as a result the recent claims history far outweighs the original insurance group and hence they are expensive to insure now.

Also why in some cases people have found zetec S fezs cheaper to insure than the boggo 1.25
Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Not really. With the ever increasing number of 'no win no fee' ambulance chasers that money has to come from somewhere!! It's not just magic money that the courts print specially - it's our premiums, our money.

Scroungers and fake claimers are ripping us off, not the insurance companies.
exactly plus the numbers of mostly thick, poorly educated CHAVs who go joyriding, driving without insurance, cruising then crashing etc which adds massively to the premium young people pay for.

Reap what you sow..... if the majority of teens had a sensible sense of danger and acted responsibly then this wouldnt have happened with premiums. But oh well a significant proportion of teens have fucked it for the rest. live and learn.

We just have to hope the CHAV teen twats dont ruin it for the whole performance/modified car scene as a whole. Now that would be a shame!!
Originally Posted by DarylC
no criminal record,
hed be a fool to admit to a criminal record anyway!!! (unless its insurance fraud related/driving related as they will know from internal records, MIB and DVLA).

Wouldnt surprise me if they try and do PNC/CRB checks on all insurance policy holders soon im sure they can come up with some statistic that shows if youve shoplifted when you were 16 then you must be a higher risk
Old 05-04-2010 | 01:14 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Insurance is actually wank and with regards to groupings its a load of crap anyway as my 1.8 focus was cheaper to insure by a mile compared to a MK5 Zetec S and even the 2.0 Focus for that matter is cheaper to insure than a ZS. I'm 20, 2yrs ncb, WANK postcode, 1 fault claim insured TPFT for £1029 with Flux all mods declared. For the modified car owner (and club member) places like Flux tend to be pretty competitive. Insurance has gone up a lot recently, my renewal with bell was £200 MORE than last year. Told them where to stick that.
Old 05-04-2010 | 08:12 AM
jennieglo
Virgin

Try Directline if he's going on his parents insurance.
Old 05-04-2010 | 08:54 AM
ProjectBobcat
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Even a 1litre smart car going at 60mph could do some serious damage to someone elses car, they have to consider that, what if he runs into a 10k car at the traffic lights and writes it off, i paid £1100 for my first car (1.1 54bhp) and that was 10 years ago, they have to balance the risk and an inexperienced driver is obv going to be a big one!

Get a job and even pay it monthly, thats what we all had to do.
Old 05-04-2010 | 09:58 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by DarylC
He lives in a low risk postcode (Lower risk than mine, lucky git ), no criminal record, has pass plus, passed test 1st time. I find it dodgy how he can pay a large sum of money for a Smart car that doesn't even have a 1L engine.

My sisters boyfriend, who lives in a higher risk postcode drives a Saxo (Known boy racer car) that has been slightly modified. He pays much less than my mate, how does that work? He's 19 but surely 2 years can't make that much of a difference
2 years will make a massive difference. thats 2 years no claims and driving experience.

1300 notes is well cheap for a first car!
Old 05-04-2010 | 10:09 AM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

id say 1500 on his own insurance is quite reasonable when i passed my test 3 years ago i had a 1.2 corsa sxi i payed 1300 happily now pay a £1000 on my cossie !!!!
Old 05-04-2010 | 10:12 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

In 1989 I passed my test and insured my first car, a 2.0s Capri for £220 (it was a 1983 Y reg). The following year at renewal they wanted £400 to insure it and I had 1 years ncb.

In 2009 I still paid £340 to insure the XR2i....

Can't imagine how new drivers go on these days... think if it was me starting again, I wouldn't bother.

As for the Smart car... I hope it goes well for him, cos a friend of mine has one at work on a 52 plate and its spent more time in the garage recently than it has out. £800 for a clutch is just rude if you ask me.
Old 05-04-2010 | 11:16 AM
kosman
sideways all the way!

my ex missus was paying 700 quid on a ka till she put me down as a named driver and it went down.

has he got any older brothers? i used to insure a car with me bro on it so it wasnt too bad for him.
Old 05-04-2010 | 12:20 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Originally Posted by kosman
my ex missus was paying 700 quid on a ka till she put me down as a named driver and it went down.

has he got any older brothers? i used to insure a car with me bro on it so it wasnt too bad for him.
He's not got any older brothers unfortuneatly, only a 5 year old sister