General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Rail Strike declared illegal!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Rail Strike declared illegal!!

Well RMT fucked that up didnt they

even better was that ITV were going to hold a live interview on the news and the guy had to cancel due to still being stuck on his train

Let me guess, the union will whinge saying it was dirty tactics by network rail

Now i know RMT claim its about safety, despite the fact the regulator disagrees and sides with network rail. But i wonder if theyd be whinging so much if job cuts wernt part of it???

On the subject of strikes, weve had BA, illegal strike by RMT, what next????

Why cant the unions see the bigger picture beyond the short term gains for thier members. Dont they get that in a economy hovering on the brink of recovery from the recession that going on strike will just make things worse???

Cant they see that bringing the county to a stop will just discourage investment here and loose business, hardly things this country needs!!

Yes a union has to look after its members but blindly doing so and contributing to fucking up the recession recovery is only going to jeapordise thier own goals in the long term

Am i the only one who thinks the way most trade unions are set up and run is outdated and not helpful these days??

Industrys had to modernise so why cant the unions???
Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM
white2lsr
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I was activly involved with the unite union (working for stagecoach) however i got annoyed with the way they worked. I left to work elseware but now im back doing my old job. I was asked if I would like to step back into my old position and i said no. I wont even be joining the union this time let alone being a rep. 3.50 a week for f all! unions way of thinking is too out dated these days
Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Funny thing is, theres millions of people who trust thier union to know what they are doing and trust them to make decisions based on things they dont understand/have time to research, yet most the people in union management arent the brightest nor have any decent skills to back it up. Blind leading the blind??
Old 02-04-2010, 03:10 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EDIT

Last edited by SS1; 02-04-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: EDIT
Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

erm edit??
Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My dad is one of the people who has been offered volutry redundancy and was supposed 2 leave in march, then it all kicked off and he hasnt got a date now due to all this!! I think now he's being allowed early retirement instead aswell as a few others but they have been told if they strike it'll affect their payout!!

Guess the union dont care about the people who have worked there donkeys years who want to go without any problems!!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

It's only the signalling staff who are now not striking - the maintenance workers are still going on strike over working hours, job cuts, working conditions and safety issues.

Once the maintainance boys walk out there will most likely be a blanket speed restriction of 40mph accross the entire rail network which in itself will cause chaos with cancellations left right and center.

I for one 100% support the strike action BUT do NOT support the way the RMT go about it - They can't even get their act together to do the most basic of things to keep a strike action plan legal.

On a side note, it's far from nice to know that I'll be driving a train full of abour 1000 people at the AM peak at 100mph on rails that aren't being maintained properly due to cost cuts and big salleried pay-outs for management type people

As for trusting the union - I left RMT and joined ASLEF a few years ago - partially because of a change to the footplate grade and partially because the RMT have absolutely no say whatsoever for things affecting the footplate grade where I work and also a trust issue with the LLC and company council reps - As much as I disagree with many things that the union I am in now (ASLEF) do, they HAVE done a few things right - but only a few it seems

Now on a funny note - bring back the old days where drivers and gaurds used to go on strike because someone forgotten to change the bogroll in the loos

Last edited by Graceland; 02-04-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
THEDMAN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Utter Pish!

All action suspended!

Members advised by text last night!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Turbo Pez
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said warren. well said
Old 02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

graceland if its so unsafe why is the "independant" regulator not on network rails back??? Instead they are supporting network rail.

thing is strikes are an outdated method of trying to get your point across.

If it wasnt for the fact there arent that many "in date" unemployed rail workers to replace the whingers then i suspect there would have been loads of people made redundant/re-employed on lower wage contracts etc.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Netowrk rail is owned and run by the government and replaced "Railtrack" after the Ladbrook Grove incident - Unfortunately the ORR is government run aswell.

Also the independant contractors who do sub-contracting work for NR get didly squat half the time - Take Jarvis for example, they have shut up shop and all 1100 employees have been made redundant - This is mainly the fault of NR not stumping up the cash to keep the track teams working in varying areas - Bearing in mind that Jarvis did a lot of work for NR aswell......

If strikes are that outdated then why did the company I work for back down when the West side of the operations front line staff (drivers and guards) set a strike date and then within 12 hours of the walkout the company gave in and let the West's demands be met ?

But then again, what do I know - I only drive the bloody train that is on unsafe rails!

Last edited by Graceland; 02-04-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Graceland
It's the maintenance workers are still going on strike over working hours, job cuts, working conditions and safety issues.

Stick these cunts on the front line in Iraq/Afghanistan, maybe then they will realise what a job is like that is underpaid, overworked, stressful, poor working conditions, unsafe etc etc etc.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

lol its not about that graceland but the bigger picture. Think how strikes make the industry look shit. And in fact makes the country look shit.

UK business has a bad enough reputation as it is, the last thing we need is potential investors being put off even more by the threat of strikes either in thier industry or in national infrastructure fucking up thier business.

Its also a big reason immigrants get the work often, less whinging, less pay and less likely to be in a union in the first place.

Not saying that employees should have no rights, its just that the unions are missing the boat and strikes does no one any good in the big picture in the long run.

Sure the rail union may eventually win thier battle but they may help loose the war as less people rely on trains etc due to unreliability due to strikes, and or lost business contracts because an investor was put off by strike ridden britain. The rail industry IMO is surviving on the fact that a lot of their customers have no other way to get around