General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

whats the difference in paints?

Search this Thread

Old 28-03-2010, 11:03 PM
cossie legend
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats the difference in paints?

I was checking ebay their to see how much paint was but its very confusing. I thought their was just cellulose, basecoat and lacquer and 2 pack. I was looking at the 2 pack rosso red but theirs loads of different types like enamel, gloss and acrylic. i take it some of these are for lorries and stuff. Am i right in saying i need acrylic for a car and will any acrylic do?
Old 28-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

I would go for the new water based stuff and a clear coat. Its such a breeze to use. everything cleans down with just water. Water to thin it. And if you get any runs, wipe with a damp clotch and start again.
Old 28-03-2010, 11:11 PM
cossie legend
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard water base paint was very soft, easy marked or scratched etc. But does water based paint not need to be sprayed in special air cooled booths or something so it dries out?
Old 28-03-2010, 11:54 PM
scooby seb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie legend
I heard water base paint was very soft, easy marked or scratched etc. But does water based paint not need to be sprayed in special air cooled booths or something so it dries out?
?????? not sure where you got that as it has lacquer over the top which is no different to what is used on solvent (2pk), yes water based is air dryed, but you can get a hand held blower for about Ł20 from your local paint suppliers, water based is a lot easier to use than solvent, it's alot cleaner (as in not as much over spray dust) and you can put it on alot heavier than solvent, steer clear of acrylic or enamel as they are oil based and a nightmare if you want to paint over the top in the future
Old 28-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby seb
?????? not sure where you got that as it has lacquer over the top which is no different to what is used on solvent (2pk), yes water based is air dryed, but you can get a hand held blower for about Ł20 from your local paint suppliers, water based is a lot easier to use than solvent, it's alot cleaner (as in not as much over spray dust) and you can put it on alot heavier than solvent, steer clear of acrylic or enamel as they are oil based and a nightmare if you want to paint over the top in the future
Totally agree with the above. Cleaner, easier on the lungs. Much nicer to apply. Easier to get hold of and alot cheaper as you dont go through gallons of thinners.
Old 29-03-2010, 09:58 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you also need special filters in your air hose and a paint gun with stainless steel internals else it will rust and mess your gun up

id rather stick with 2 pack
Old 29-03-2010, 12:27 PM
GrimV8
Smokin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread
I've steered clear of water based as I've heard such terrible stories from shops that were forced to change to it. They miss 2K even 8 years down the line
I will stick with 2K till I can't get it anymore, and I do the odd cellulose job on earlier stuff for originality
Old 29-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Waterbased if the parts are cleaned properly tends to react less due to not having thinners in it to thin it down!! You dont use normal water thou has to be deionised (some places tell u to use branded stuff but its all essentially just deionised water!!) but its cheap to get hold of.

The only thing with water based is if u spray it in a cold enviroment it'll take ages to flash off unlike solvent, as said its air movement that helps aswell as a bit of heat, and althou u can buy the hand air diffusers u can even just use air from the gun to dry it off!! As said as long as u make sure its dry before lacquering then it doesnt really stay soft, but u have to make sure its 100% dry!!

It can go on heavier but you still have to be careful with it as it'll still run and then takes even longer to dry!!! The idea thou with alot of them is solvent can take 2-3 coats to cover whereas alot of waterbased should only take 1-2 so ur using less, but obvioulsy doesnt always work like that

Price wise thou waterbased is more to but than solvent so doenst work out much cheaper unless u obviously get it in bulk orders!!