General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car Alarms?

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2010, 10:36 AM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Car Alarms?

Are they worth it? does anyone take any notice of them? if one is going off outside, i dont normally bother looking.
I'm thinking about some extra security for my van, its a VW Transporter T4. The van doesnt have central locking, is this going to be a problem? as most of the kits ive seen on ebay are these total closure jobs.
Im good with electrics so no problem wiring it up.
Im not too fussed about having the certificate with it as it makes bugger all difference to my insurance.
how much of a job are they to fit? i presume you have to splice into a few circuits, are these a bugger to get at? can you generally do it with the dash in etc.
im thinking just a basic alarm, maybe wired into the door open/lights on switches, and the proximity sensors.
what other sensors are available? and are they worth it? tilt, sound etc.
what brands are best to go for or avoid?
Thanks.
Old 25-03-2010, 06:27 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a look when ones going off just in case
Old 25-03-2010, 06:44 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If its in the distance when im at home etc then i dont, but if its near then i do, same as when im out, if ones going off it always makes me turn my head to look
Old 25-03-2010, 06:50 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A pita on our estate has one that goes off all the time, no one takes any notice, as it becomes "normal" sound to here and people assume it's another false alarm, mind I watched some people stealing the last of the alloys from his car last year, I went back to bed, as he'a pita, if it's not stereo full whack at all hours its revving tearing up and down, I told him I saw it the next day..
Anyway yes imo people do take notice unless above so I'd defo get one, I'd get a toad, as you don't have CL, you don't need the normal ai606(cat 1), could use a much less expensive one, but tbh even the ai606 is under or around £100 so well worth it.
I would also pop into maplins etc and for £25 get a central locking kit and fit first, again easy to do, uses master locks on the two front doors, the rest are slave, should be easy enough to adapt to side door and rear door no probs.
I fitted one of these kits to me gf astra about 3 years ago, never missed a beat, I fitted this with a Toad C5T2(NLA).
The alarms are easy to fit, and VERY reliable, toad are owned by scorpion adnm come with a lifetime warranty on parts, a few starting to play up with leaky ni cd battery packs now, but cheap easy fix diy wise.
Fitment wise nothing hard, set up wise be careful if changing any of the pre set features, if you don't have the codes,(as you don't from the dealer) no problem.
When supplied they will be silent on arm disarm, as this is a legal requirement due to noise pollution!!, they will also be auto locking after around 10 secs.
You can get all the usual add on bits, such as glass break, tilt window closure module etc etc, even proximity sensor.
All wires need to be soldered then heat shrunk, or taped at the very leats to ensure no movement of wires which could break the wires, they get brittle when flux is used in solder.
You will get a small credit card size card with it, this is your 4 figure pin number, needed for setting/de setting positions of swithces, or for manual overide to keep car moving in emergency.
I've got all the info if needed, ie you can turn the arm/disarm beep on 1 or 3 volumes, adjust the siren output, it has some useful times outputs too.
tabetha