General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

LCD or PLASMA (NOW WITH PIC)

Search this Thread

Old 20-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i looked at the LED backlit screens today and tbh the plasma was miles ahead in terms of colour and smoothness
Old 20-03-2010, 02:18 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mar_k
ok guys ive bought the panasonic TXP42G15B

this t.v is approaching the end of the line with many places no longer listing it, its due to be replaced by the g25 at somepoint in the near future.

one thing im alittle concerned about, SCREENBURN! ive not had a plasma before.
would a channels ident logo in the corner of the screen be burnt in? if so how do you get round this?
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...tv-burnin.html

i really wouldn't worry about screen burn these days, if you sit playing games on it all day you might see abit of image retention but thats about it obviously dont leave static images on the set all day but to the average user i wouldn't even worry about it

great choice btw
Old 20-03-2010, 02:21 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the settings there will be an options for 'burn in prevention' or 'pixel shift' or something like - just shifts the image around a bit every 30 secs or so to prevent it. Otherwise, if you ever do get any retention, just send it a white screen from e.g. your laptop for a minute or two and it'll clear it off. On that display, though, you'd have to have it on something with a really bold logo for a whole day straight to get any retention, imho.

Chris
Old 20-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Mark, I've had my plasma for about a year or so, and haven't got any burn on the screen - including falling asleep and the static "DAVE" text when the channel is off air being on the screen solidly for about 4 or 5 hrs

At worst all I get is a bit of retention, which after about 10-15mins of watching something (ie, a TV channel, DVD, what ever) disappears. Hence why it's all retention and not burn

I've NEVER noticed, even when I've been looking for it, anything on the screen when watching a TV channel or DVD, and can only ever see any retention when flicing inputs and you get a "live" black screen (ie, the screen is on, but you're on an input with nothing playing)

I've only ever got retention from having the menu on the screen solidly for long periods of time, when I've been playing Gran Turismo or whatever for a while, or when falling asleep and having the static text displayed on the screen for hours on end. NEVER got it from watching a TV channel with a logo in the corner, or even from watching BBC News with the clock and other on screen graphics etc.

Run the TV in for about 200 hours by having it set to a fairly low (as in, below half way) contrast and brightness and you'll be fine. Most TV's have built in screen "burn" prevention, such as pixel shift or whatever. Mine also has a "screen clear" function that rotates black and white shading across the screen to "clear" any retention. I've used it once (the Dave thing) and after that realised I don't need to and any retention is gone after watching a TV channel for 10-15mins....
Old 20-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok cheers for all the advice guys, really excited about getting it when its delivered on monday
Old 20-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Chico.
fresh

Thumbs up

GO for Plasma Mark.
Old 20-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Chico.
GO for Plasma Mark.

Q. What bit of the thread didnt you read before posting your reply?

A. all of it

Just to bring you up to speed, look at the post before yours
Old 20-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Great choice you won't regret it. Was at a mate earlier today and looked at the picture on his Sony 32" LCD through a V+ box and it's not even close to as good a picture as on my Panasonic Plasma. I'd be annoyed if I'd shelled out for a picture like that.

But he's a mate, and a fucking good one at that so I keep my gob shut

Last edited by Oranoco; 20-03-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 20-03-2010, 03:49 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Great choice you won't regret it. Was at a mate earlier today and looked at the picture on his Sony 32" LCD through a V+ box and it's not even close to as good a picture as on my Panasonic Plasma. I'd be annoyed if I'd shelled out for a picture like that.

does make me wonder why people go and buy a tv with there eyes shut
Old 20-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well ive just bought my wall bracket aswell, lol

due to the odd shape of my living room it needs to be mounted on a wall that doesnt face the sofa so i need a full swivel wall mount.

how easy are these things to fit up?
im pretty good about the house but pretty worried about fixing this to the wall,

are they bolted or screwed?
Old 20-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

also i was alittle worried about getting a 42" screen as i thought it would be too big for my living room but after seeing the panasonic up close in comet i dont think it will be an issue as it was clear as anything standing right ontop of it
Old 20-03-2010, 04:00 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

well ive just bought my wall bracket aswell, lol

due to the odd shape of my living room it needs to be mounted on a wall that doesnt face the sofa so i need a full swivel wall mount.

how easy are these things to fit up?
im pretty good about the house but pretty worried about fixing this to the wall,

are they bolted or screwed?

id usually bolt it to the wall mate
Old 20-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers again, the mount comes with all fixings so it should be straight forward i guess
Old 20-03-2010, 04:47 PM
cjwood555

What type of wall do you have? Normally use these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56181/...4mm-Pack-of-50

or these:

http://www.directbuildingproducts.co...s3.php?id=1525

The sheild anchors are different to normal anchor bolts and have a 3/4" free-wheeling solid sheath which doesn't expand, so is ok through plaster/pb.

HTH
Chris
Old 20-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my walls are brick so the top ones should do then,

the mount comes with fixings so should be ok
Old 20-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this is the bracket im using

http://www.tvbrackets4u.co.uk/store/...CKETS-p62.html

not as expensive as others and doesnt look at pretty
Old 20-03-2010, 07:53 PM
cjwood555

Good price for a cantilever bracket though! I've just this week put one of these in - http://www.alphasondesigns.com/produ...=1320&CatID=57 which I sold for £143 delivered.

I would say that, in my experience, the fixings that come with brackets tend to be fairly poor and just basic rawl-plug type things, which put load onto the plaster/plasterboard rather than just the brick and aren't often very effective. But, they're bound to be a smaller hole than rigifix/sleeve anchors so you can try the ones that came with it first and open up the hole later if they're not very confidence inspiring

Chris
Old 20-03-2010, 07:57 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by cjwood555
Good price for a cantilever bracket though! I've just this week put one of these in - http://www.alphasondesigns.com/produ...=1320&CatID=57 which I sold for £143 delivered.

I would say that, in my experience, the fixings that come with brackets tend to be fairly poor and just basic rawl-plug type things, which put load onto the plaster/plasterboard rather than just the brick and aren't often very effective. But, they're bound to be a smaller hole than rigifix/sleeve anchors so you can try the ones that came with it first and open up the hole later if they're not very confidence inspiring

Chris

agreed, deffo worth spending another £15 for some decent fixings
Old 20-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so would it be safe to open the holes up on the wall bracket in order to fit anchor bolts?
Old 20-03-2010, 08:03 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

yes mate as long as you dont butcher it to much, but most should have holes to suit bolts as well
Old 20-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the one in my link doesnt seem to have big enough holes,
the company has been around for quite awhile and a friend has used one of their mounts so im hoping it will be safe
Old 20-03-2010, 08:14 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

from looking at the picture i think the holes are big enough mate
Old 20-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok cheers,
this week has been a bloody expensive one for me,
this tv, new sofa, decorating the front room.

im fecking skint until the end of the month now.
Old 20-03-2010, 08:21 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

ok cheers,
this week has been a bloody expensive one for me,
this tv, new sofa, decorating the front room.

im fecking skint until the end of the month now.
be worth it you got sky HD?
Old 20-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not yet, we are with virgin but im not happy with their shite unreliable service so BT/SKY soon to be fitted
Old 20-03-2010, 08:25 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

not yet, we are with virgin but im not happy with their shite unreliable service so BT/SKY soon to be fitted

its a must now you have the tv, loads of good deals about atm to
Old 20-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

had a leaflet through the post from sky,
there packages seem alot more value for money than they did a few years ago
Old 20-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Stevie-Boy
Gettin There

Originally Posted by JokerDisco
Paid just under 800 for a 32" Samsung LED a couple of weeks back.
You wouldnt believe the quality in comparison to plasma or LCD.

Suggest you do some research on the LED! Relativley new technology but brilliant in my opinion.
You do know mate that the Samsungs are not true LED?
They are only lit from the sides and mirrors reflect the light across the back of the panel whereas true LED have a fully backlit LED panel. Samsung were taken to court for advertising this.

Just read this thread and to be honest the market is all LCD at the moment and has been for the last few years.Plasma is good for fast moving stuff but the new Sony LCD's are amazing with the correct source. A good spec TV is only as good as the signal it gets.It is all about personal preference, my Dad has a 50" Pana with Sky HD and he loves it but i prefer the "in your face" bright picture of an LCD. If you are looking for a good LED then it's gotta be Sharp. Sharp? i hear you say... but they are the worlds biggest manufacturer of panels and all the new Sony top end stuff will be made with Sharp panels.
Old 20-03-2010, 09:21 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Stevie-Boy
You do know mate that the Samsungs are not true LED?
They are only lit from the sides and mirrors reflect the light across the back of the panel whereas true LED have a fully backlit LED panel. Samsung were taken to court for advertising this.

Just read this thread and to be honest the market is all LCD at the moment and has been for the last few years.Plasma is good for fast moving stuff but the new Sony LCD's are amazing with the correct source. A good spec TV is only as good as the signal it gets.It is all about personal preference, my Dad has a 50" Pana with Sky HD and he loves it but i prefer the "in your face" bright picture of an LCD. If you are looking for a good LED then it's gotta be Sharp. Sharp? i hear you say... but they are the worlds biggest manufacturer of panels and all the new Sony top end stuff will be made with Sharp panels.

amazing? to be honest there average they dont even come close to the panny plasma's and any review will confirm this...

ill just give you a quick snippet from the two tv's as reviewed over at AV

the new sony LCD

"mage quality from the KDL-32V5810 is, on the whole, good for a CCFL-backlit LCD display. Like all LCDs, the motion resolution is not perfect and the image characteristics shift when the screen is viewed from the sides. In terms of black level, the display is one of the better LCDs I’ve seen lately, although this is leagues behind the better Plasma displays - although with this said, there are almost no Plasma displays to be had at this screen size, so I won’t dwell on this comparison. Unlike a previous 32” Sony display I reviewed, the KDL-32V5810 does not have any stand-out motion problems, beyond the uniform LCD motion blur. Some of last year’s displays featured an unusually high amount of trailing around black outlines in the picture, but this appears to have been resolved now. Also, unlike side-lit LED LCD displays I’ve seen lately, the uniformity of the KDL-32V5810’s picture was also very good for an LCD. There were no"

the new g20 -

The picture quality of the Panasonic TX-P42G20 is absolutely excellent. As with last year, this is largely due to the quality of the NeoPDP panel in the display, which is responsible for many of its best attributes. The display produces a very, very deep shade of black which is not at all far behind the current state-of-the-art, something that I still find extraordinary on such an affordable HDTV (Panasonic has associated the G20 with the promotional tag “Infinite Black”; whereas their flagship model this year will carry the “Infinite Black Pro” branding).

Moving on, the motion clarity completely smokes any competing LCD display, regardless of whether those LCDs are equipped with a 100hz/200hz system: the NeoPDP panel naturally produces clear motion in almost all situations without having to resort to such video processing, so your High Definition TV will still have High Definition when the picture is moving (as television pictures tend to do!) With certain material (typically high motion video camera content), posterisation is still sometimes becomes visible during fast camera pans, but overall I find this effect, which only appears with certain types of material, much less disturbing than the indiscriminate blur of an LCD.
Furthermore, Plasma panels do not have the viewing angle fall-off issues that most LCDs do. As a result, the colours and richness in the image do not degrade when you view the TV from the sides.
Old 21-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Would stick with what you have mate. Dealt with both on many occasions, Virgin have their uissues but Sky never fail to be a complete shower of shit
Old 21-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Stevie-Boy
Gettin There

KDL-32V5810 is not one of the new range nor is it 100HZ so not a good benchmark for the Sony range of 2010
Old 21-03-2010, 12:11 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

KDL-32V5810 is not one of the new range nor is it 100HZ so not a good benchmark for the Sony range of 2010
"The new Sony KDL32V5810 is a 32″ Full HD LCD TV with the very latest Sony Bravia technology along fluid pictures better that any previous Sony TV."

"Sony KDL32V5810 Full HD 1080p 32 LCD is new for 2010"

think you will find this is one of sony's latest mate

Old 21-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Stevie-Boy
Gettin There

Originally Posted by danneth
"The new Sony KDL32V5810 is a 32″ Full HD LCD TV with the very latest Sony Bravia technology along fluid pictures better that any previous Sony TV."

"Sony KDL32V5810 Full HD 1080p 32 LCD is new for 2010"

think you will find this is one of sony's latest mate

Last years model mate that's running through this year only becuase it has Freesat built in otherwise it would have been discontinued in January with the rest of the old range. The new range have a completely different style.
Old 21-03-2010, 02:34 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Last years model mate that's running through this year only becuase it has Freesat built in otherwise it would have been discontinued in January with the rest of the old range. The new range have a completely different style.

so which sony LCD would you put up against the panasonic plasma?
Old 21-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Stevie-Boy
Gettin There

Probably one of the new NX's
Old 21-03-2010, 04:39 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Probably one of the new NX's

cnet review

"The KDL-NX800 certainly improves upon that model, but still won't be counted among the best-performing HDTVs of 2010. Its black level performance fall short of most other TVs in its price range, and its trade-offs in uniformity are typical with other edge-lit displays we've tested"

or

"The picture quality of the Panasonic TX-P42G20 is absolutely excellent, Thanks to Panasonic's somewhat unique usage of Plasma display technology (something we wish more companies were involved in) and the newly added calibration controls, it is safe to say that Panasonic’s TX-P42G20 will almost certainly remain the best HDTV at this price level for some time to come"

doesn't get anymore clear then that imo
Old 21-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Stevie-Boy
Gettin There

Originally Posted by danneth

cnet review

"The KDL-NX800 certainly improves upon that model, but still won't be counted among the best-performing HDTVs of 2010. Its black level performance fall short of most other TVs in its price range, and its trade-offs in uniformity are typical with other edge-lit displays we've tested"

or

"The picture quality of the Panasonic TX-P42G20 is absolutely excellent, Thanks to Panasonic's somewhat unique usage of Plasma display technology (something we wish more companies were involved in) and the newly added calibration controls, it is safe to say that Panasonic’s TX-P42G20 will almost certainly remain the best HDTV at this price level for some time to come"

doesn't get anymore clear then that imo
Fair point but it's all about personal preference and i would take an LCD over a Plasma all day long i just don't like the look of the Plasma picture regardless of how good it is.Around 85% of the sets i sell are LCD but i do tend to find people that have had Plasma will always buy the same and likewise for LCD.There are that many misinformed people who get told shit from sales people who have not got a fuckin clue what they are talking about. I still get punters saying "I heard you need to get plasma's re-gassed"
Old 21-03-2010, 05:32 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Fair point but it's all about personal preference and i would take an LCD over a Plasma all day long i just don't like the look of the Plasma picture regardless of how good it is.Around 85% of the sets i sell are LCD but i do tend to find people that have had Plasma will always buy the same and likewise for LCD.There are that many misinformed people who get told shit from sales people who have not got a fuckin clue what they are talking about. I still get punters saying "I heard you need to get plasma's re-gassed"

your right it is personal preference, but one thing i will never understand is why people cant see that the picture quality is so much better on the panasonic's

there will always be people misinformed specially by sales staff who will try to sell youu whats best for them... but all people have to do is just go down to the shops and open there eyes
Old 21-03-2010, 06:56 PM
cjwood555

Whilst there is such a thing as personal preference and opinion, there is also such a thing as 'being wrong'. Ultimately, if a display doesn't accurately reproduce what's coming in in terms of colour and brightness per pixel with respect to time, then it has failed in it's reason for existence. Ok so if you're showing crap sources then perhaps a less-than-faithful TV will flatter them and be nicer to watch. This however, boils down to applications engineering and does not have any bearing on whether its a 'good' tv or not.

Chris

Quick Reply: LCD or PLASMA (NOW WITH PIC)