General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

internet bandwidth question

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2010, 10:29 PM
knightsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red16
If I use the AA Route Planner website, it says my house is 3.18 miles from the exchange, is this classed as far away?

My ping is usually around 87ms when i do checks online too, which really spoils playing games like Call Of Duty online with the PS3.

I only have a master socket in the house, no extensions etc, the PS3 is hard wired to the router but we use wifi for laptops etc.

What sort of cost would i be looking at to have a BT engineer pop round and do a few checks?
this is quite a way but i would say if all ok you should be seeing more that that on an max rate circuit, also the cables probably dont run the same way that route finder will go, maybe further maybe shorter but it gives you an idea, to get it checked price wise depends on the service provider but getting the line tested wont cost anything they can also tell you the line length it will be in kilometers. pm me your number if you like and i will try and test if i have access to your area database
Old 16-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danneth
Ben not sure if you know or not but you need to make sure interleaving is turned off, can lower your ping quite abit but sometimes makes the line abit more unstable i know alot of people who have done this with BT so worth a shot
Not sure what that means to be fair, i'll have to google it.

Originally Posted by knightsy
this is quite a way but i would say if all ok you should be seeing more that that on an max rate circuit, also the cables probably dont run the same way that route finder will go, maybe further maybe shorter but it gives you an idea, to get it checked price wise depends on the service provider but getting the line tested wont cost anything they can also tell you the line length it will be in kilometers. pm me your number if you like and i will try and test if i have access to your area database
Cheers, do you work for bt?
Old 16-03-2010, 10:58 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red16
Not sure what that means to be fair, i'll have to google it.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm

http://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband...g-Off/m-p/6914

Ive been online gaming at a very high level for 8 years now, and interleaving has always been a massive thing for the people on BT etc, some people will say there can be downsides to having it turned off ( mebbe knightsy can say what ) but i have never known anyone have an issue after turning it off just usually there ping gets better anything from 10ms-30ms