General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

CRB checks.. Anyone else waiting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 AM
CarbonRick
PF Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRB checks.. Anyone else waiting?

As above is anyone else on here waiting for a CRB check to come back to start a new job??
Had interview on 28th Jan, was offered job on 31st Jan, so been waiting 5 weeks now.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My mrs just got heres through last week, it did take a while though !
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 AM
CarbonRick
PF Village Idiot

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
My mrs just got heres through last week, it did take a while though !
How long mate? How old is she?
I'm 31 and I've moved a bit in last 6-7 years which won't help.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:53 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

i waited 4.5 months for mine i had to get on the phone and chase them up but luckily i got to work at site still, we had all taken our CRB's at the same time and a couple come within a couple of weeks but mine came last by a long margin.

chase them up on the phone and tell them your waiting for it to start new job and try and get the CRB check number you can usually get away with the number to your employers if you tell them that your waiting for it to come through the post, is very shit though, you pay Ł50 to wait 4.5 months and i could of quite easily lost my job to their incompetence
Old 08-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Paget
Part of the Furniture

since before xmas and dont have it back yet
Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

takes bloody ages sadly. Can be hit and miss if its a month or 6

Tooo many jobs want a CRB even though its totally irrellevant to the job or environment the job is in.

Not forgetting the CRB check expires the second you recieve it.

For example the charity i work at i need an enhanced CRB. If i then volunteer at another 2 or 3 charities at the same time, all of them also need a CRB It can easily spiral out of control, for example we often get student volunteers, and they need a CRB obviously, and it is done by a local charity center that has a base for like 20 local charities and one of them does the CRBS on behalf of all of them. For some stupid reason the rules are such that if a student is volunteering at different charities, even ones who get the CRBs from this one place, they have to put different CRBs in for each charity so for one person they can have 3 or 4 CRB checks at the same time administered by the same place at a cost of Ł165 each what a fucking rip off!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

think thats bad took me 7-9 months to get DV cleared
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spoke to my mrs for you earlier, hers took 2 months, arrived at the start of the this month and she applied for it at the start of January
Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CRB Checks..

Whats it for... little known fact - most CRB checks carried out are actually illegal intrusions (sp) into your privacy.

Have a google search

J
Old 09-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by danneth
think thats bad took me 7-9 months to get DV cleared
Do you have a family of terrorists??? Mine was done in a couple months.
Originally Posted by Shings
Whats it for... little known fact - most CRB checks carried out are actually illegal intrusions (sp) into your privacy.
I severly doubt they are illegal. intrusions into privacy yes, illegal i severely doubt it as with most these checks its written to override all the laws on privacy.

Failing that they just use the catch all excuse called the terrorism act!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Had a few drivers recently have only just last week got their CRB's back .. they sent them off in november they haven't been able to do school runs for months because of it!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Think they do take a while, Id just get on the phone if it was for a job.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:44 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Do you have a family of terrorists??? Mine was done in a couple months.

I severly doubt they are illegal. intrusions into privacy yes, illegal i severely doubt it as with most these checks its written to override all the laws on privacy.

Failing that they just use the catch all excuse called the terrorism act!!!

not the last time i checked
Old 09-03-2010, 03:49 PM
H7 CYA
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im waiting too only sent it off in Feb so looks like ive got a long wait yet!!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

The fact you have committed a crime is NOT a private fact.

Anybody could be stood in court to see/hear proceedings. Obviously different for under 18's
Old 09-03-2010, 04:19 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
so for one person they can have 3 or 4 CRB checks at the same time administered by the same place at a cost of Ł165 each what a fucking rip off!!!
my wife is a breast feeding peer supporter & a children centre casual worker & she is also on the p.t.a. she has 6 enhanced c.r.b.,s 3 got sent off at same time 1 came back in 2 weeks 1 in 3 weeks 1 in 4 months volunteers should not pay for c.r.b.,s & the centres pay a reduced rate for volunteer c.r.b,s approx Ł15 each c.r.b. hope this helps.
When the new Vetting and Barring scheme comes in, you will just need to be checked once and the form will travel with you and be updated. Also this will be at a reduced rate for Volunteers
Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

CRB Checks..

Have a google search

J

surely if you send a form in for a crb check then that in it self is giving permission to have your self legally checked out so how is it illegal
Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

+1
Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope - you're only required to have one for certain instances. Check CRB Eligibility.

Requests for them for other occupations that dont fall into these instances are illiegel.

The loop hole is the factoring companies (umbrella companies ) that do them on individuals companies behalf.

If as an example you have one and are not given a job because of a criminal record but the job does not require a CRB check by law then this is illigel and all the usual bollocks can follow - ie tribunal and so on.

EXAMPLE -
CRB check required to work with children.

CRB check not required to work as a caretaker at a place where children are, providing that the caretaker does not come into contact with the children.
It may even go as far as to be direct un supervised contact.
An employer in this instance would undertake a risk assesment to determine if it was required.

http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/faq...outCRBcheckson
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Mrs Jtechsaff
500bhp saff cossie

Originally Posted by andy escos
my wife is a breast feeding peer supporter & a children centre casual worker & she is also on the p.t.a. she has 6 enhanced c.r.b.,s 3 got sent off at same time 1 came back in 2 weeks 1 in 3 weeks 1 in 4 months volunteers should not pay for c.r.b.,s & the centres pay a reduced rate for volunteer c.r.b,s approx Ł15 each c.r.b. hope this helps.
When the new Vetting and Barring scheme comes in, you will just need to be checked once and the form will travel with you and be updated. Also this will be at a reduced rate for Volunteers

The vetting and barring scheme is actually required on top of the CRB check as it checks other things so you will need both although the Vetting and Barring scheme does only have to be paid for once, I think its Ł64 for paid staff. Sorry
What is the difference between the service offered by the ISA and the CRB?

1. The ISA will prevent the most unsuitable people from working with children and vulnerable adults by making it a legal requirement for everyone who is working with children or the vulnerable to be registered with the ISA.
2. The CRB will continue to support employers by providing them with access to an individual’s full criminal record and other information so that they can assess the individual’s suitability for the particular post or position.

Last edited by Mrs Jtechsaff; 09-03-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by danneth
not the last time i checked
DV's are comical i found more out about my dad from the personal interview for DV than my family had ever told me!!

Originally Posted by timrud
The fact you have committed a crime is NOT a private fact.
Anybody could be stood in court to see/hear proceedings. Obviously different for under 18's
That may well be true but how many employers go to every court sitting in the land to find out your crimes??

The rehabillitation of offenders act exists so that crimes that are time expired or minor dont effect your ability to work long term.
Originally Posted by andy escos
the centres pay a reduced rate for volunteer c.r.b,s approx Ł15 each c.r.b. hope this helps.
They not charging Ł15 round here!!!! Obviously some Stoke council rip off scheme then!!!
Nope - you're only required to have one for certain instances. Check CRB Eligibility.
Requests for them for other occupations that dont fall into these instances are illiegel.
The loop hole is the factoring companies (umbrella companies ) that do them on individuals companies behalf.

If as an example you have one and are not given a job because of a criminal record but the job does not require a CRB check by law then this is illigel and all the usual bollocks can follow - ie tribunal and so on.

http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/faq...outCRBcheckson
This is true but that doesnt make ALL CRB checks illegal.

It is however, illegal for a company to request a CRB check to try and get round the rehab of offenders act.

Companys which require a CRB check are supposed to limit access to CRB check information to one/few people who make decisions purely on suitability for the post based on CRB info. They should be giving a yes/no/yes with these restrictions, kind of answer and thats it.

The people seeing you at interview and making the decisions to make a job offer are NOT allowed to see the direct CRB information and certainly they are not allowed to use that information to make a decision wether to offer a job or not. Sure some small companys this is unavoidable but generally companys using a CRB check to compare criminal records of prospective employees as a filter method for choosing who to employ is certainly illegal both under the use of CRB info and also rehab of offenders act.

Luckily CRBs take sooo long most people are offered the job before then subject to an ok CRB.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

I'm still waiting for my enhanced CRB. My employer sent it in beginning of January and still haven't heard anything yet.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 PM
CarbonRick
PF Village Idiot

Just been looking through the literature that was with the form. Going to see about tracking its progress.