General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PF Plumbers - help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PF Plumbers - help!

Our en-suite loo has stopped flushing and I'm guessing it is the seal in the syphon, though with the flush handle disconnected I can pull hard enough to make it flush?

However, I'm struggling to get the close-coupling cistern wingnuts off (it was installed in 1991!)

I have WD40 on them for now, but with a wall on one side, the bath on the other and a pair of rusty wingnuts to deal with that are facing the wrong way for a wrench to get a grip on, I'm hoping someone can tell me a secret tip to get these off or some other way to remove and check the syphon because i really don't want to refit this bathroom just yet.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hacksaw blade is going to be your best bet mate, cut the wingnuts off if they wont undo....
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Piece of 1/2" (12mm) or 3/4 (20mm) steel pipe.
Cut a slot in the end big enough to go over the wings.
Hole in the other end, use it like a box spanner.
It'll probably turn the flats off the bolt, then just use a hacksaw blade as above...

Buy a close coupled seal kit as well.
You get new seal, bolts wing nuts and plate.

Last edited by focusv8; 03-03-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 PM
THE RADMAN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

and if that fails take the pan out with the cistern still attached for better access,i hate close coupled wc's theyre an absolute pain to work on make sure you fit a dudley turbo syphon when you renew it as they are 2 piece design so you wont ever have to remove the cistern again if it ever packs up
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Job done. I got one out with WD40 but had to hacksaw the other off and - of course - it was on the most restricted side!

Got it all apart and off to the merchants tomorrow for another siphon. This bathroom is overdue for renewal so I'm gonna stick the cheapest I can find in for the time being - the suite was only a cheapy but 19 years on it looks fine and this is the first trouble it has given.

And why can't someone invent nylon fittings or something else that won't rust up, either for cisterns, or toilet seats? I'm now positive that there's a market for this...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

just fitted a new bahroom in our gaff, was going to suggest looking at the filter in the inlet for the water feed as our shitter took foooking ages to fill, but its all new now and ok lol

ps out new throne seat is all plastic, with plastic nuts.

buts its cheap shit, so may get a decent bog seat lol