General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MOT failure question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT failure question...

Just had my shonky MOT fail its MOT two things i agree with but, he also failed it on O/S rear brake disc pitted. He calms its on the inside of the disc, now i only had new discs and pads on the rear last year! Seems strange to me, would you expect this to happen within a year?

I have ordered new set to go on the back, but going to ask a different garage to carry out the work and tell them to double check the disc before fitting to see if its true.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wouldnt have expected that. can they even see the inside face properly with the back plate on??

my focus past last year with shot rears. when i changed them this year i found massive uneven wear but it passed cos the front face was fine and they couldnt see the back due to the plate being in the way.

there prob being stupidly picky and if there is any it will prob wear off fairly soon.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my mate has myther getting his 306 through every year with back brakes,are they common faults like?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

if the pad didn't sit right on the disk (which can happen) then it may have caused uneven wear and corrosion to the disk, I saw it on my wifes fiesta years ago ,from the outside the disk looked fine, but on the inside only about 20% of the disk was actually touching the pad!

steve

Last edited by The Youth.; 02-03-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Hmmm will have to check, but it seems to be very picky. Maybe a common problem with 306 judging by what Kosman said.

Freaking thing has had loads spent on it recently when i im looking for a new car atm

£30 for new rear discs and pads, urgh. Will have to get them fitted along with the new front suspenion arms.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mates 306 has also had problems with rear disc brakes.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM
sir nose
Regular Contributor

ive never failed a car on discs.(mainy cos' ive never seen a cracked 1)ive failed loads for brake performance related issues.
i remember on the mot course the instructor shows the class a really knackered old disc and i mean really knackered and asked everyone what they should do,everyone said fail,instructor replied 'pass and advise,the brake performance test will show whether it is working effciently enough.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM
nikki.n.tom
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Goes on brake performance if it passes efficiancy.... should only be advise.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by nikki.n.tom
Goes on brake performance if it passes efficiancy.... should only be advise.
I thought that too, but passed test.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

what utter load of toss, if there is corrosion on the discs its basicly pitting of the discs, read your fail criteria on the computer and there is 2 failures for discs 1 for pitting and 1 for scoring amongst others , ive been testing for donkeys years now and allways watch posts on here about testers failing cars that according to the p/f users should have passed , ill bet there is only a handfull of mechanics on here and only half of those are testers, yet there is allways loads of replys talking shit,

if you were not happy you should have got an appeal form and sent of your 55 quid and waited and seen to see what happens!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

who took the toys outa ur pram tonight then?!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Moonstone Mart
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by richard youll
what utter load of toss, if there is corrosion on the discs its basicly pitting of the discs, read your fail criteria on the computer and there is 2 failures for discs 1 for pitting and 1 for scoring amongst others , ive been testing for donkeys years now and allways watch posts on here about testers failing cars that according to the p/f users should have passed , ill bet there is only a handfull of mechanics on here and only half of those are testers, yet there is allways loads of replys talking shit,

if you were not happy you should have got an appeal form and sent of your 55 quid and waited and seen to see what happens!

A while back one of our testers failed a car for pitted discs, the guy appealed.
The ministry sent a guy out to retest the car and check the discs - he checked and passed the car - telling our tester that he couldnt fail the car on pitted discs if it passed the brake efficiency test, should be pass/advise .

Now thats from the ministry itself.

Mart.

Last edited by Moonstone Mart; 11-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sir nose
ive never failed a car on discs.(mainy cos' ive never seen a cracked 1)ive failed loads for brake performance related issues.
i remember on the mot course the instructor shows the class a really knackered old disc and i mean really knackered and asked everyone what they should do,everyone said fail,instructor replied 'pass and advise,the brake performance test will show whether it is working effciently enough.
very surprised vosa have never pulled you on this then as your failure rate will be well below average do you never check the wear against the wear indicators on vented disks?
as for rears being corroded cus the pad aint touching them properly. again it is a fail regardless of performance same with scorelines as well
im glad your not testing my cars

and before you ask yes i am a tester of class 4,5 and 7
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM
babscossie
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by richard youll

Totally agree fella. Im also a tester and always get people moaning about failed item. Fair enough some testers are a little fail crazy but i always incourage the owner of the vehicle to ask questions if unsure.