General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

UPDATE... Need some advice guys ASAP...PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 AM
b_kennedy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE... Need some advice guys ASAP...PLEASE!!

Hey guys.
The short story.... Basically does anybody know if there is a law or government requirement that when you purchase a phone or laptop etc it comes with a minimum amount of insurance???

The long story.... I will try keep this minimal. I phoned T-mobile 2 weeks ago to cancel my contract and told them I wanted to get an iphone for the Mrs. As I'm sure you've heard T-mobile told me they can supply an iphone on ugrade through a company called chitter-chatter. As I am happy with T-mob I agreed.

After agreeing to upgrade on the contract the call was passed to chitter chatter to pay for the phone and postage. I got through to a very poorly english spoken women and had to ask her to repeat herself several times. During this converstaion she told me the phone comes with a months free insurance and then if I didnt want it thereafter to cancel the debit. Now I said thats fine I didnt want it because I know I can get it cheaper than £10 a month.

Moving on; the stupid div of a Mrs left her phone in the car (although it wasnt on show) and the window got done within minutes of her going back outside to get it. I phoned the insurance (which I got the number from a 'Iphone insurance Policy Summary) that chitter chatter sent me.

They tell me no records maybe documents not come through as it only been a week and half. Phone chitter chatter to chase it up and they say i didnt take the insurance. They did not tell me that if I didnt take the insurance then I wouldnt get a month free. And added to that I was busy at work and this woman couldnt speak english I just wanted to get off phone. Obviously I have shared my 'gratitude' for the news they are giving me!!!!!!! They are also telling me that this is normal practice from any insurer but i know that is bollocks as I didnt want insurance with carphone waehouse but still got 3 months free with.

Also some one told me that most things comes with at least a month these days. In addition to this I have checked the Chitter-Chatter website and it states in there policy that any phone purchased from themselves comes with 2 months free insurance and that it is £7.99 a month not £10. So not only was I told 1 month and its 2 but I also had 2 different prices. It doesnt state that insurance must be taken to receive the free insurance.
Also they tried telling me 'wasn't I suspicious of no insurance as I didnt give card details'. I said No as I had already given them for payment and postage of phone.

As it stands at the moment they are going to listen to the original call and call me back later. Am I entitled to ask for a copy of this call via email or the likes of??
Any help and advice would be so much appreciated. On top of that T-mobile charged me £8 for another sim card. So I got a new contract with no phone :-(

Last edited by b_kennedy; 30-09-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem would be if the call went outside the country, which I assume it did as you couldn't understand her.
If it stayed in this country under the data act you are entitled to HEAR the phone message recorded, the same as you are entitled to see any cctv images that were recorded with you in them, be it at a private club fuel station town centre or whatever, unfortunately that is in this country, not sure where the call starts in this country.
tabetha
Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 AM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also most insurance policys make tell you to do one as phone left in car
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

When I bought my phone I said I didn't want insurance on it, I still had all the paperwork sent through with 1 month free insurance. That was with mobiles.co.uk
Old 12-02-2010, 03:48 PM
b_kennedy

Davezs - had mob with them too and also got ps3 insurance aswell.

Ranj- phone was in glove box and it does say on policy as long as I show proof of forced entry. Got a receipt for the window I had to buy.

Tabetha - thanks for that!! Much appreciated. Still waiting for them to phone. Been 3 days. Phoned today and they said we didn't have your number (although I left it last time) so I said ok fair enough. Still said gotta phone me back. So they've been tring to phone me even though they haven't listened to call yet. Hhhmmmmmmm
Old 30-09-2010, 07:04 AM
b_kennedy

UPDATE....
They have finally admitted to me that they cant find a record of the original purchase call. This comes after I pushed them saying that I wanted all respondence by email so I have a record.

Do I push this? Do I have a chance of claiming anything. After all it has taken 10 months to actually get them to admit this. Is it worth it and where would I start.

Thanks guys
Old 30-09-2010, 07:28 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry to bolt the door after the horse has run but couldn't you just cancel the contract and start with someone else,therefore new phone/contract etc?

I'm with o2 and was never offered insurance on my i phone?might have been better to have claimed off your car/house insurance really,but it's done now so I hope u can sort it.

Trending Topics

Old 30-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

To answer the original question, no there is no legal requirement to provide a minimum amount of insurance when selling a phone.

However if you have documentation tell you that you did have insurance, and you have kept a record of all your communications so far to try and claim (ie to prove you did so in a timely manner) I would have thought that you have a good case.
Old 30-09-2010, 07:41 AM
b_kennedy

Well the trouble is they aren't actually my provider as such. It's on T-mobile (they dont do iPhone's).

When I was leaving T-mob they asked why and I said because I wanted the iPhone. They then offered me this -->

They upgraded the account to free internet and restarted the contract as they would with any upgrade. They then passed me over to chitter chatter who they had a contract with who took a payment and sent me the phone seperately :-/