General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

TVR Tuscan

Search this Thread

Old 31-01-2010, 06:21 PM
e30cossie
E36 cosworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TVR Tuscan

I am thinking of buying a TVR Tuscan.

Has anyone got one or owned one ?

Are they really as bad as everyone says they are.

I only want it as a weekend toy and will not be doing track days in it. The thing is most of the cars already seem to have had an engine rebuild by about 25 000 miles.

Surly any car engine should do at least 60 000 driven carefully.
Old 31-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I looked into it years ago and the cons out weight the pro's quiet heavily so i knocked the idea on the head. Apparently the speed 6 engine is a bag of wank and the early 4.2 and 4.5 v8 motors are much much better or so people were saying when i was asking questions.
Old 31-01-2010, 06:28 PM
e30cossie
E36 cosworth

As far as I know the Tuscan only came with the speed 6.
Old 31-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tuscan is a speed 6 only, i used to part own one with a mateit constantly fouls the plugs, needs to be reved when cold or it dont idle, turning circle is a fucking pig, cant see where the bonnet ends, cant see shite out the back window, the clutch pedal feels fucking stiff and its cost 4k just to get it running,, and that was with fuck all labour and the boys at the TVR centre had it there a few times looking after me,,, cars was so bad that 2 times taking it out of the garage it had to be pushed back into it again as it would stall and foul the plugs,, when moving the steering was VERY sensitive. twitchy as fook aswell so was always worried i would spin it out,, was "quick" at acceleration or the feel wasnt anyway,,, but did do 130mph and felt very twitchy getting there

upside is fuck me the attention you get,,, just inreal to say the least

heres pics of the old beast,,,, its fucking pretty and i dont regret a penny of it,,,, i regret 40,000 pennies on it !!!

Old 31-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ye sorry thats what i was trying to say, i was looking at cerb's and tuscans and with al the bad reviews about the speed 6 motors i ruled out the tuscan pretty much straight away and started looking at the cerb's, then decided that owning a tvr wasnt worth the possible financial castration
Old 31-01-2010, 06:54 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Surely the plug fouling thing must be a set up problem rather than anything else?

Still, I'd have one for the looks, I would very rarely use it anyway.
Old 31-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

stu they run 6 throttle bodys on them,,,, they dont run right on low revs and on short runs fouls the plugs,,,, cant be a set up issue as i had it tunned by tvr centre 3 weeks in a row,,,, all the times it was out of tune then brought back in and again, it went out of tune,, take it for a blast and it runs fine just when they are cold they run rich and so in traffic foul plugs,,,, even idling to allow you to close a garage door !
Old 31-01-2010, 07:02 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
i regret 40,000 pennies on it !!!
Ł400 is bloody cheap

a mate of mine in germany is thinking of a cerbera rather than a tuscan purely because the v8 is a lot more reliable than the straight 6
Old 31-01-2010, 07:04 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

stu they run 6 throttle bodys on them,,,, they dont run right on low revs and on short runs fouls the plugs,,,, cant be a set up issue as i had it tunned by tvr centre 3 weeks in a row,,,, all the times it was out of tune then brought back in and again, it went out of tune,, take it for a blast and it runs fine just when they are cold they run rich and so in traffic foul plugs,,,, even idling to allow you to close a garage door !
Christ I knew they were hard work but that takes the biscuit
Old 31-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

rarelt use,,, the tvr covered 1k miles in 6 months,,, most of them was driving to tvr centre and then around for the day,,, when it was all sorted as it had LOADS of gremlins in it we still couldnt enjoy it,, my mates wedding,,,, wouldnt start,,,, my mates stag doo we got a mile from home then it cut out and so we had to park it up and walk back then collect it the following day,,, where the fucker started first fucking time !!

it was dumped in the garage after we was gonna go to blackpool with it,, where it stalled outside the garage again and we just pushed it back in till we decided we didnt trust it,,, when it was sold it started with a jump pack and we aint heard of it ever since

as i said i LOVED the look of the car,,,,, just couldnt trust it living in london,,,, there was good days with it though,,, you look like a football star driving it,,,, then it comes to parking it,,,,,, in central london,,,, makes you look like some women driver who cant fucking park due to the stupid turning circle.. so all coolness goes at that point

THOUGH,, standing beside it with a starbucks you look cooler than cool,,, just dont get in the car and drive off with the clutch juddering ect
Old 31-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
Ł400 is bloody cheap

a mate of mine in germany is thinking of a cerbera rather than a tuscan purely because the v8 is a lot more reliable than the straight 6
i ment 4k,,,, i paied for the wheels as they was nicked when it was stored ( the original owner got fed up of repairing it too pmsl then he got deported ) and also i paied for,,,almost every sensor in the engine bay including 2 TPS sensors.... new airbox that i forgot to mention the heat makes em get brittle and the crack and they aint available anymore, the rear screen clips broken and so needed replacing,,, again they aint made but TVR centre gets some billet ones made up,,, dont ask the price for what they are !!!
Old 31-01-2010, 07:33 PM
cossie15

ive had a tuscan 's', sold it 3 years ago. Was driving everyday and was very reliable. Was thinking of buying another one back in the summer. Only sold it due to london roads 'humps, bumps' whatever you want to call it pissing me off!
Old 31-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend bought a tvr in the summer he had none stop proplems and sold it 1.5k cheaper
Old 31-01-2010, 08:23 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my friends has a Tuscan Red Rose.. it looks epic.. sounds epic.. performance is very strong and the attention it got was amazing.

He hardly used it, couple of k a year tops, but had various problems with the car.. ended up getting pissed off and sticking it in his driveway and leaving it alone, battery died, so couldn't get into the car, so got in and left the roof off slightly so he could get back into it?! ...roof blew off in a gale one night, inside is minging and damp these days, absolute shame.

IIRC his has got about 30k miles on it.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 31-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i notice a pattern here, my mate got it for a fucking good deal,,, couldnt find a place that would even look at it so i made the offer of paying to get it running and take some ownership,,, fucking waste of my time tbh as i only seemed to drive it to TVR to get repaired or diagnosed what the issue was
Old 31-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading this thread, seems like maybe they are a car better suited to being used than laid up all the time. I can't believe they are as bad as you make out Ginge, yours must of had a problem that was never traced.
Old 31-01-2010, 09:40 PM
fordpop
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Cerbera's need a clutch and slave cylinder every 20k miles
Old 31-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah it was used short distances most of the time,,, sitting in traffic or just driven slow to pose in,, as said once on a run it was mint,,, but a but twitchy at the rear and steering was very very very sharp at the front,, fuck knows how people track them as they take ALOT of skill to drive compared to a normal car

the problem with mine was fouled plugs,,,, thats all it had, they needed taking out and cleaning and it would drive mint again,, you may not know this but they dont have a cold start injector,, they have 2 tps sensors and are tuned with a vacum gauge,,,, they are basically race cars,,they have solid lifters, dry sump and a fooking heavy clutch

i still love them,, just not sure if i would bother actually buying one outright with my own cash, just take a look at a TVR garage, take a look at the work they have in,,, oh and also due to part availabilty your car could be off the road for a long time till you source a part,,,, the airbox we got by luck,,, some bird ( whos hobby was track use only her sagaris used a tuscan as a weekend car and also owned a helicopter too) fitted a carbon airbox and so we bought the airbox off her,,,,, she said " just give 50 to the mechanic and its yours" otherwise we would have had to also spend 900 on a carbon one, infact what a dream girl for most blokes,,, she was single too !
Old 31-01-2010, 10:08 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim Green had one didn't he... it was crazy mint, obviously.

He might give some insight into the whole ownership experience and common faults etc.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 31-01-2010, 11:14 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

love thne noise and look of them!
Old 31-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

fuck knows how people track them as they take ALOT of skill to drive compared to a normal car
Thats why they're normally up against a barrier.

A car with all the power at the rear and all the weight at the front it's going to be twitchy on the limit!

Last edited by Drunken Master; 31-01-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 AM
ShedSpeed
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

another prob is that they cost a fecking fortune to repair if it gets shunted as large parts of the car are 1-piece fibreglass structures with compound curves and whatnot
Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 AM
packman
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by e30cossie
I am thinking of buying a TVR Tuscan.

Has anyone got one or owned one ?

Are they really as bad as everyone says they are.

I only want it as a weekend toy and will not be doing track days in it. The thing is most of the cars already seem to have had an engine rebuild by about 25 000 miles.

Surly any car engine should do at least 60 000 driven carefully.
Hi yes i look after a Tuscan S and V8 Cerb , can be very costly if u dont get the right one Pm me for a long list of what to look for.