General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Knives...so who's into them?

Search this Thread

Old 27-01-2010, 09:36 PM
longdog
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
Definately don't agree with carrying knives in public but at the same time i don't think that you can tar all knife collectors with the same brush as those mindless idiots that carry them in the street and are prepared to use them. I should imagine that most knife crime is committed using small sharp household knives not the type of collectors stuff being discussed here.
If you want to collect them fine but just keep them in the house not on the street.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:37 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S1 JOHN S1
Lol mark proper gansta bruv :P

Like i said

There designed for one job

Are gun's allowed down the high street? even with a licence? I am shocked if that's the case

We take test's for car's also to make sure u have a brain I dont see any test's for knive's Gun's do they test ? Genuine question

Knive's gun's kill people as there main role

Jonny b spot on lad

As jonny said IIRC if it's there ur gonna use it And that is illegal

as the lad with the fiesta said,The case on the book cabinet when u can't read perfect example :P

LOL

Obviously you're not allowed to walk down a street with a gun out, but in a car, yes. My dad used to ride to and from the range on his motorbike with 2 pistols in hip holsters, 1 in a shoulder holster and a rifle in a bag on his back lol, perfectly legally.
Test? you don't get tested as such, but you do have full background checks done by the police, firearms officer comes round and interviews you (not a formal interview as such), he checks your house making sure you have adequate security. Only if you're deemed to be ina fit state to use guns are you allowed them. Also, go to a range and be unsafe, you'll be asked to leave.
JohnnyB wasn't 'spot on' I've already explained that.
Someone broke into my house and attacked my family and I could get to a gun/knife quick enough (no chance with guns though, knives yes) I'd defend them. If that means killing the scumbag that broke in and me doing time, so be it.

One thing,

U never hear of a high school in america been rammed into by a car and say 100+ people dead!

Yet guns seem to do that job easy enough So car's and gun's mate

BTW i know i used america but were not far following behind them TBH!

Lol.
You don't half come out with some random crap. Firstly, Americas gun licensing is nothing like ours over here. Pretty much anyone that wants a gun out there can have one, meaning there are millions more guns circulating, and in the hands of nutters! Look up the UK's death statistics from last year, both deaths cause by guns and deaths caused by cars, and maybe you'll see my point.

Get yourself down your local shooting range mate, have a word, see what they use guns for. Unless you're extremely narrowminded, you'll still think they're used only for killing...
Old 27-01-2010, 09:49 PM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Me step dad collects knifes very expensive ones, he has signed ray mears knifes and collects randel knifes hes always buying them, every week he has a new one! they are all around the 300-700quid mark.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:51 PM
RSricRS
Long live the ford RS'S

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All with certificates etc.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:58 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ad4m RST
Ah had to be Wing Chun

I can argue muay thai against pretty much anything but WC is serious, old skool shotokan karate probably only style more 'effective'.

I've done boxing and jiu jitsu for years but just started muay thai last year, can't hear a bad word
wing chun is great, before i met my mate i didn't even know what it was and even after him showing me abit at work how they punched etc i thought wtf is this but after attending a few classes you realise just how good it is and IMO a cut above anything else that people do these days really
Old 27-01-2010, 10:14 PM
bil_s2
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

When I was in school, the martial arts centre in glasgow (Krause) taught Bali knife fighting. (Only in glasgow would they have knife fighting classes..) and I had a couple of lessons as I was interested in the skill. This was a year or so before they were banned. I got a barninja bottle opener a year ago which is good fun and brought the memories back...
Old 27-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts

That bottle opener could so easily be converted into a butterfly in un canny lol
Old 27-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Or is it fashion to look cool with a knife? If so i'll look well ard with my rocket launcher

Problem is weak, insecure idiots feel they need weapons to feel good about themselves hence street knife and gun culture and CHAVs and wannabe brit gansters trying to look hard waving knives and guns about.

They have NOTHING to do with genuine collectors. Sadly the uninformed and ignorant cant see the difference.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:04 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

A gun what is it purpose? Just answer that

Clear's the gun point straight up

Knive's,The knive's were talking what are they designed for? Cutting tree's down

Sorry there all weapon's quite simple

Collect all u want But there made to inflict pain or even death FACT!
My guns, their purpose is for target, clay, or game shooting. I've already covered that!

They have NOTHING to do with genuine collectors. Sadly the uninformed and ignorant cant see the difference.
Exactly!
Old 27-01-2010, 11:08 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

SLAMZ dude,How many car's to gun's and knive's???? Which are used daily Not saying car's are perfect my point was car's not made to kill Knive's and gun's are :P sorry to be such a plank to ur idea mate

But they are still weapons when in the wrong hands! Just like guns are. But cars are much more accesable.

Guns, in the right hands are not going to kill anyone!
Guns don't kill anyone, people kill people!

And the fact you keep going on about 'guns being made to kill' Yes, guns were invented to kill, yes they can do easily in the wrong hands. But as I've already said, legal guns in this country were not made to kill. They were made for target/clay/game shooting! They're a hobby, that's all.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:09 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Shame mate they get into the wrong hand's simply if they wasn't there they wouldnt be able to get into the wrong hand's to start with

It's quite simple
Legal guns rarely do though! aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I give up trying to argue with someone so mis-guided.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:10 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

A gun was invented to shoot clay And u call me uninformed and ignorant along with warren

I didnt ask about ur gun's either
Wanna actually read whats written next time instead of just making it up as you go along.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

S1 John the vast majority of guns made for the public market are designed to shoot targets or clays or very occasionally game.

So no they arent just for killing people.

All motorvehicles are weapons as are planes. You will find the vast majority of thier early development history was for advancing battlefield technology.

So wether something might have been designed as a weapon is irrelevant when compared to its current use.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:11 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

I rest my case on gun's

Car's were made to kill?????? I thought it was an A to B system
Please refer to my last post...
Old 27-01-2010, 11:25 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
So wether something might have been designed as a weapon is irrelevant when compared to its current use.
this goes for anything!! I was involved in an incident where i was threatened with a loaded crossbow...when in court over the matter...the prosecution and defence argued for over a day as to whether it was an ...wait for it.....

Offensive weapon

she was originally charged for carrying an offensive weapon with intend to cause harm (or whatever the wording is!) when this went to court...and might i add this went to crown court..with a jury...the charge of the loaded crossbow in a 30mph residential street being an offensive weapon was dropped!!!

The message given out by the british justice system that day was basically "Don't carry a knife or gun...carry a loaded crossbow instead"

I remember the officers coming to see us in the witness waiting area to tell us what was going on, he couldn't believe they were even debating the fact it was an offensive weapon ... one of the comments made in the court room was that a cross bow was made to shoot dear, so using it out of a field aiming it at a human being doesn't make it an offensive weapon???? hello?!

same goes for anything...if she had a glass bottle and smashed it and then used that...it would be an offensive weapon...if she had pulled out a baseball bat...in normal circumstances it wouldn't mean a thing but when used in a threatening way it is then classed as an offensive weapon.

IMO guns and knives are and always will be offensive weapons...their purpose may well be to "shoot clay" or "cut food" etc etc but the fact of the matter is for years and years they have both been used for violent reasons! I dont personally see the fascination as to why anyone would want to collect either gun or knives...each to their own i suppose...but a collection can always be turned into the offense!

x
Old 27-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Dan F
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just want to add people are saying guns, Knives kill people

Its the people/person in charge of a weapon/s that decides what to do with it

BTW im all for collecting knives swords etc
Old 28-01-2010, 09:24 AM
StephTell
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Over here the law is simple: knives that are over a certain lenght and/or are double edged and or have a 'thrusthandle' are deemed WEAPONS and are legal to posses but illegal to carry.
All others are deemed TOOLS untill they are used to inflict harm upon others, in wich case it becomes a tool used as a weapon.

A comparisson between a knife and a gun is obviously one that goes wrong very quickly.
The killingpotential of a gun is far greater than that of a knife and this has obviously been recognised by the law.

As far as collecting knives goes: it's no different to collection exclusive pens, watches, artwork and so on. They are all individually, handcrafted pieces of art and in a lot of cases of considerable value and therefor collectable.
Google 'William Henry' knives and 'Chris Reeve' or 'van Heerden' and you'll see what I mean.
It's not so much about it being a knife but a small work of art wich becomes 'personal' after years of owning it, much like jewelry, watches, pens and so on.

I do carry tactical knives, though legal ones, wich I use for a variety of things 'around the house' so to speak, but I also carry them as a LAST RESORT in case of emergency.
No one would even known I carry them, I have never and will never flash them about, but I will use them in case of emergency.
Like I've explained before, this could be to cut through seatbelts and dogleashes but also to inflict strategical cuts onto attackers.
Fighting with your fists or fighting fair is very sporty but also rather daft when the other party brings a weapon or outnumbers you.
Suffice to say that in my 'world' you'd be daft not to carry them.

Finally: chavs with Rottweilers and Samurai swords are plain laughable in my eyes and I do agree that people that flash knives and/or swords about are idiots acting hard.

Last edited by StephTell; 28-01-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 28-01-2010, 09:38 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, with the collector side of it, but are all your knifes and guns in a locked cabinate.

I was born in Zimbabwe and most people had guns, they were all locked up in proper gun cabs, When I was 8 my mate said we knows were his dad had the key for the gun cab and after school should we go and look at the guns. I had sports that afternoon so could not make it, but another lad could.

what they did not know is he had the pistol always loaded and off safty, well the lad who went to look is now dead.

The main danger of having weapons in the house is they must be locked away correctly.
Old 28-01-2010, 09:49 AM
StephTell
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnny B: I fully agree on that. Weapons of any type should always be properly stored and kept out of reach of anyone that isn't supposed to be handling them.
I will however remark that kitchenknives and/or scissors are ussually easily accesable and therefor often used in violent crime, so locking away a pocketknife won't nessecarily make the world a safer place...
But seriously: have you googled those knifemakers Johhny?

http://www.andrevanheerden.com/All3-...h-Mosaic-2.htm

http://www.andrevanheerden.com/All18...e-Damascus.htm

These are the sort of things I'm on about...

p.s. PLEASE send some pics of your missus via PM!!! She's lovely!
Old 28-01-2010, 10:01 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I agree, about the workmanship and stuff like that I also see things like old flint lock guns and stuff.

But there is stuff out there only for one purpose, to Kill