General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Iphones - Does the novelty wear off?

Search this Thread

Old 25-01-2010, 08:29 AM
macford
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine ages and I wouldn't be without one. I use it for everything and also sync it to work email and calendar system.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:21 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Lol @ those saying touch screens are crap and have not tried an iphone
Old 25-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Lol @ those saying touch screens are crap and have not tried an iphone
They are crap, and I have an iPhone.

Have you ever owned an HTC or blackberry to compare it against?

I really cant see how anyone who has used both wouldnt side against the touchscreen, I could type about 50 words a minute on my old HTC, cant get near that on the shitty iPhone.

Last edited by Chip; 25-01-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

think anyone wanting a iphone should watch that vid i put up of it comparing to the nexus!
Old 25-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Porkie
Totally agree with Chip.... its a toy.
You only need to look around at serious phone users (ie business) to see that almost no one has an iPhone, they just dont do the things that are important to a serious business user, like decent battery life or a decent interface to send email and text with etc (ie a proper keyboard)

If you are 20 and want to be trendy, its great, if you want to actually communicate efficiently, its shite, I dont see how anyone can view it as anything other than an awesome gadget that also kind of works as a phone!
Old 25-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Chip
I dont see how anyone can view it as anything other than an awesome gadget that also kind of works as a phone!
perfectly summed up!

I use my Iphone ALOT and would never get rid of it.

When you REALLY REALLY need an app or something though. It will ALWAYS let you down with either no signal or no battery!
Old 25-01-2010, 09:33 AM
It's Czech Mate

They are crap, and I have an iPhone.

Have you ever owned an HTC or blackberry to compare it against?

I really cant see how anyone who has used both wouldnt side against the touchscreen, I could type about 50 words a minute on my old HTC, cant get near that on the shitty iPhone.
Yep i've owned HTC's for the last 7-8 years untill last year and I have a work blackberry curve at present

The point I was making was people were saying touch screens were crap based on using other phones, not an iphone.

I agree the iphone isnt a business phone, nor ever will be, but the interface/touch screen is easily the best of the touch screens out there at the moment and with the phone turned at 90 degrees ( same as on a htc qwerty ) i can easily type as fast. It's not as easy to begin with but after a few days practice its easily as fast for me, and I am a fairly fast texter.

Last edited by It's Czech Mate; 25-01-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Chip

I agree the iphone isnt a business phone, nor ever will be, but the interface/touch screen is easily the best of the touch screens out there at the moment
Throat cancer is easily the best cancer out there at the moment, but I still dont want it

Last edited by Chip; 25-01-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:41 AM
It's Czech Mate

Throat cancer is easily the best cancer out there at the moment, but I still dont want it
Clearly you alone are correct and nobody on planet earth buys touch screens and likes them

Sorry, you must be right
Old 25-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Chip

Clearly you alone are correct and nobody on planet earth buys touch screens and likes them

Sorry, you must be right
I said I dont want a touch screen, I didnt say nobody does, lots of people place different priorities on a phone to what I do, like fashion in front of function for example, and for them a touch screen is fine, but for me the main purpose of a keyboard on a phone is to allow easy (preferably so easy you dont even need to glance at it) entering of text, an iphone does not do so IME.

This thread is about people given their own opinion of their iPhone, which is what Im doing, Im not attempting to give everyone's opinion so I am at a loss as to why on earth you would pretend I was.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:46 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Txting is perfectly fine, unless you have little porky sausage fingers?

it works perfectly fine as a phone for me too..i dont see what criticism there is for it?

I just upgraded to 3G-S and although its not that much better than my old 3G, it is still brilliant.

I agree that because most useful APPs are signal reliant, you can guarantee when you really need them, your out of signal...but that isnt the phones fault as such, more the network provider, so its unfair to blame the phone for it.

I haven't tried a HTC touch so can't really have an opinion, but i use my iphone for making calls, texting, listening to music and going on facebook/skysports/ebay and i have to say for all of those things its brilliant!
Old 25-01-2010, 09:48 AM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

I like touch screens!

I didn't like the texting interface on the iphone when I tried my mtes but I never turned it 90deg I'll see if it's any easier next time I see him.

as a side note the texting interface on my touchscreen phone is near perfect

Oh and it has a good camera
Old 25-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by bud-weis
Txting is perfectly fine
Can you touchtype long emails quickly?
I cant personally on my iPhone, but I can on a proper qwerty keyboard like on my old HTC.

If you have a few hundred words email to type, the amount it slows you down is very noticeable.

If you are just "txt spk" chatting though im sure its fine.

it works perfectly fine as a phone for me too..i dont see what criticism there is for it?
Battery life, if im away for a couple of days somewhere on business or camping or whatever then I need to take a charger with me with my iPhone, I dont need to with my Nokia, its just added hassle.

I just upgraded to 3G-S and although its not that much better than my old 3G, it is still brilliant.

I agree that because most useful APPs are signal reliant, you can guarantee when you really need them, your out of signal...but that isnt the phones fault as such, more the network provider, so its unfair to blame the phone for it.
Its not a case of blaming the phone, its merely a case of the phone isnt as useful as a result, bit like the reason I dont like very stiff suspension on british roads, its not the cars fault its the roads, but none the less its still shit to drive around with!

I haven't tried a HTC touch so can't really have an opinion, but i use my iphone for making calls, texting, listening to music and going on facebook/skysports/ebay and i have to say for all of those things its brilliant!
As an all round "lifestyle accessory" I personally think the iPhone is awesome.
Old 25-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by alan12112
I like touch screens!

I didn't like the texting interface on the iphone when I tried my mtes but I never turned it 90deg I'll see if it's any easier next time I see him.

as a side note the texting interface on my touchscreen phone is near perfect

Oh and it has a good camera
Its a lot better texting when you turn it 90 degrees.

The camera doesnt have a flash is mildly anoying I guess, but it seems ok other than that, but TBH I dont really use my phone as a camera much anyway, so I dont really care about the iPhone one not being quite as good as others.

Last edited by Chip; 25-01-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:06 AM
It's Czech Mate

I said I dont want a touch screen, I didnt say nobody does, lots of people place different priorities on a phone to what I do, like fashion in front of function for example, and for them a touch screen is fine, but for me the main purpose of a keyboard on a phone is to allow easy (preferably so easy you dont even need to glance at it) entering of text, an iphone does not do so IME.

This thread is about people given their own opinion of their iPhone, which is what Im doing, Im not attempting to give everyone's opinion so I am at a loss as to why on earth you would pretend I was.
You actually said that you couldnt see how anybody who had use both a touchscreen and a keyboard phone could side with the touch screen

This thread seems to suggest otherwise as I can see plenty of advocates of touchscreens. I write massive emails on mine just as fast as my blackberry or my old HTC phones. I can see how its down to the individual but I think you very short sighted in declaring that you couldnt see how ANYBODY who had used both could side with a touch screen as that is clearly not the case.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Chip

You actually said that you couldnt see how anybody who had use both a touchscreen and a keyboard phone could side with the touch screen

This thread seems to suggest otherwise as I can see plenty of advocates of touchscreens. I write massive emails on mine just as fast as my blackberry or my old HTC phones. I can see how its down to the individual but I think you very short sighted in declaring that you couldnt see how ANYBODY who had used both could side with a touch screen as that is clearly not the case.
I said that I couldnt personally see why they would side with it, I didnt say that they didnt do so anyway though, as like I said, some people have different priorities to me for a phone. I can only give my own opinion not anyone elses, I can also say that I cant identify with their decision, which is what I have done.
You seem to be trying to make out I have said something I havent, I have no idea why, in fact so much so that you seem more interested in talking about me than you are in talking about the iPhone TBH.

Last edited by Chip; 25-01-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:17 AM
It's Czech Mate

I said that I couldnt personally see why they would side with it, I didnt say that they didnt do so anyway though, as like I said, some people have different priorities to me for a phone. I can only give my own opinion not anyone elses, I can merely say that I cant identify with their decision, which is what I have done.
You seem to be trying to make out I have said something I havent, I have no idea why, in fact so much so that you seem more interested in talking about me than you are in talking about the iPhone TBH.
Not really, i'm just a big advocate of the iphone interface and cant see how folks can claim touchscreens arent any good when they havent tried the best one.

You started arguing with me not the other way round when I posted about people not liking touchscreens without having tried an iphone, that is all. I couldnt give a monkeys if you have some delusional 'stalker' complex, you seem to get this with a few users, perhaps you should get some help. Not everything is about you

Back on topic please
Old 25-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Just to add what a few have said, Blackberry all the way, I'd be lost without my BB 9700 !
Old 25-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Chip

Not really, i'm just a big advocate of the iphone interface and cant see how folks can claim touchscreens arent any good when they havent tried the best one.
I have tried it, I own an iPhone, its poor IMHO compared to a physical keyboard where you can touchtype without even needing to look at it.

On my HTC I can send an email while watching the telly or whatever if I want, as I dont need to look at the keyboard to use it, on the iPhone I do, thats why it is so inferior IMHO.

Last edited by Chip; 25-01-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Just got my HTC HD2 & it seems (so far) to be better than the the iPhone I've been borrowing off my nephew for the last month or so, much better dislay, easier to use touch screen keypad, better camera & there seems to be loads of apps available too, I'm still trying to get used to everything it does.

Last edited by Physio; 25-01-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:36 AM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

Lol @ the tag

AJ that phone is a serious contender for when my renewal comes up, my friend has a tc touch and I really like that, plus isn't the sofrware opensource so possibilities for free apps could be endless!
Old 25-01-2010, 10:39 AM
It's Czech Mate

I have tried it, I own an iPhone, its poor IMHO compared to a physical keyboard where you can touchtype without even needing to look at it.

On my HTC I can send an email while watching the telly or whatever if I want, as I dont need to look at the keyboard to use it, on the iPhone I do, thats why it is so inferior IMHO.
My original post which you took issue with wasnt even aimed at you, it was the person who claimed touchscreens to be rubbish across the board aftter trying his samsung and not an iphone

You do seem to like to argue with me, even when my posts dont relate to you.
Old 25-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Chip

My original post which you took issue with wasnt even aimed at you, it was the person who claimed touchscreens to be rubbish across the board aftter trying his samsung and not an iphone

You do seem to like to argue with me, even when my posts dont relate to you.
I dont like the touchscreen for data entry, and I have used it, I own one.
Lee doesnt like the touchscreen after using it too, likewise AJ, you made a statement saying that people who hadnt used it shouldnt comment, so I made a statement as an owner of one saying that I also didnt like it, I didnt "take issue" with you, I merely felt you were incorrectly making the assumption that all of us slagging it off on various posts on here about the iPhone, hadnt used it, when many of us have, so I was merely removing any possibility for confusion.

As far as I can see, the main divide appears to be that most people with a serious business use for a phone, find the iPhone lacking either in terms of data input or in terms of its shocking battery life.
People wanting a trendy lifestyle accessorry or gadget or fashion item, like it a lot in the main though.

I suspect that the 4G will address the battery life issue, and probably the flash one too, I doubt it will have a built in qwerty keyboard though, but maybe they will at least provide a decent bluetooth option for an external keyboard like people use with other touchscreen phones.
At that point, I can see it potentially becoming a more serious phone too, its a relatively new gimmick at the moment, but given time Im sure apple can refine it to make it a more serious device.

Last edited by Chip; 25-01-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:08 AM
xHayleyx

i like the game doodle jump!!!

so stupid!

x
Old 25-01-2010, 11:57 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've had mine year and a half and sill like it and i usually break /get fed up with phones ,this phone still looks new. agreed battery life is shite if you use it hard but if your prepared to stick it on charger or on car charger when you can its fine. (you can get neat emergency battery devices too).
the INITIALnovelty DOES wear off eventually when you get used to it but its still a great phone/gadget and i still like it. you wont get fully used to messaging etc right away but after a while you will wonder why MOST(not all) other phones are so awkward to use compared to this.
when you read through this post there is only 2 or 3 against and the rest for an iphone...majority wins imo.
if your a DEDICATED business user i would say look at blackberry instead
Old 25-01-2010, 12:27 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

the blackberry is not just a business phone its a very good all round phone i think its much better than the i phone but then thats my view and if like me most of the people u know have one too then there is the added bonus of blackberry chat
Old 25-01-2010, 01:13 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Really like mine had it ages, disagree about the business comments, for example OMA to setup on IPhone is as easy as a native Windows mobile, with a Blackberry you need a dedicated BES which is expensive, and yes I know there are nasty complicated workarounds for it.

Battery life can be improved with a few tweaks, IE turning off WIFI and Bluetooth where not needed for a start.

Iphone just does everything very well IMO.

Martin
Old 25-01-2010, 01:21 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Really like mine had it ages, disagree about the business comments, for example OMA to setup on IPhone is as easy as a native Windows mobile, with a Blackberry you need a dedicated BES which is expensive, and yes I know there are nasty complicated workarounds for it.

Battery life can be improved with a few tweaks, IE turning off WIFI and Bluetooth where not needed for a start.

Iphone just does everything very well IMO.

Martin
Agree battery life can be vastly improved by turning off wifi and bluetooth when not in use and knocking the screen brighness right back to about 35% ( which is still plenty bright enough and as bright as you realistically need )
Old 25-01-2010, 01:24 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor.
I really miss my N95 8GB ...
My n95 8gig is nearly 3 years old, and I have to say I love the thing. Its battered to hell, and its broke in 2 a couple times when I have dropped it, found it under a engine I dropped out of a focus once and its still going strong. The only thing thats ever died was the volume switch on the side, and sometimes the keys don't light up when I open it. Volume switch was fixed in 5mins by a nokia service centre, for nothing. I absolutly love the thing, does all my ebay photos, makes calls and texts well and by todays standards ain't even that big, was massive compared to other phones when I got it.
I have a few mates with iphones, proper fashion victim phone imho, best thing is how they think they got it for free on a contract that costs twice as month as mine, for 24months!
I will never go back on contract, I'll stick to my month to month plan and buy a new phone when mine dies, probs another n95
Old 25-01-2010, 01:45 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Iphone for fun, Blackberry for business.

I have a bb, everyone (and I mean almost everyone!) I know has an iphone, fun little apps on it, but I prefere BB for all round.
Saying that, I do like iGun haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlzoL-wQwio
haha
Old 25-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

You should get an iphone free if you buy a M3 LOL!
Old 25-01-2010, 05:00 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Had my 3g for a year now. It is a novelty, but it does everything I need plus I can download silly apps for it whenever I get bored.

It syncs with my Exchange server at work and I can pick up Gmail on it. The text is fine and I really like the historical interface on it. Typing is no issue as the predictive text is clever enough to work out what your typing when you have fat fingers. It has the best capacitive touch screen of any device.

However, the novelty has worn off and I'm narked at only being allowed to do what Apple tell me which is why I'm soon switching to Android and buying a normal iPod for the Bose Soundock I have (awesome ).

For business use, its OK, but others do it better. Blackberry and HTC to name two.
Old 25-01-2010, 05:21 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just a fashion acc imo,
Old 25-01-2010, 06:34 PM
daveandhelenturbo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

best phone case I think I'm always dropping mine and my 2and half year old loves playing with the games on the phone so it makes cleaning the grubby finger marks easy to........

Get the phone!

Originally Posted by TIFF
Superb phones........

And if you are in a messy job ect get yourself a "Otter defender box" case for it......FULLY sealed and very very good, keeps the phone mint
Old 25-01-2010, 06:38 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Great toy, shit phone.

I had better phones 10 years ago, but as a gadgety thing, with an Ipod, apps etc, it just shades it for me.

No way I'm having a blackberry, just so I can play the updated yuppie image.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:57 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

have had iphone, great toy and very cool, but wont put down my blackberry, got a google nexus arriving shortly see how that works for me
Old 23-02-2010, 10:25 PM
GaryHurn

Just got \ htc hd2 a few days ago awesome looking phone though windows operating system is not great! one issue with the htc hd2 is you cannot watch videos from say youtube or bbc iplayer though adobe are bringing out flash player 10.1 for pocket pc's so hopefully this will solve it! the internet is very quick easy to use and having text messages/emails/ face book updates stored in one place/for each person is genius instead of having an inbox with messages from every body!

my brother has an iphone and for fun factor it does get 10/10 but camera is shit, no flash

for me the htc is far superior as a phone
iphone is far superior in the apps department (fun factor)
Old 23-02-2010, 10:41 PM
DazS1Turbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Works getting me a new Phone for Email ect

Ive had blackberry loved it and HTC Tytnii both were 2 year old units

They are saying iphones but ive heard that when syncing to OWA or using rcp over https that you have to sync to receive mail and push wont work?

Im leaning towards another HTC after reading this
Old 24-02-2010, 08:24 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by DazS1Turbo
Works getting me a new Phone for Email ect

Ive had blackberry loved it and HTC Tytnii both were 2 year old units

They are saying iphones but ive heard that when syncing to OWA or using rcp over https that you have to sync to receive mail and push wont work?

Im leaning towards another HTC after reading this

I have push emails from outlook on my IPHONE and you can set it to 'pull' every 15 mins from non 'push' email accounts

Theres an app for a camera flash too.
Old 24-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Chip

Email on my iPhone is one of the few things that actually works well IMHO, no worries there, although again the data entry is a bit shite compared to a proper keyboard, but for receiving emails it works really well.

Quick Reply: Iphones - Does the novelty wear off?