General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

wires PC connections multimedia around house...?? how?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 12:13 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wires PC connections multimedia around house...?? how?

i want to know whats possible at what cost etc...

my PC is in my spare room well BB connection is upstairs at the mo NTL from outside.
downstairs i have a decent HI FI and also cinema kit...
my PC has tv out card....

i have very little option for running wires around the house really (could do but just decorated and cant hide them anywhere?)

what kind of fancy stuff can I do??

is there anyway to have wireless mouse/keyboard linked to PC upstairs and also TV so could use pc remotely from downstairs??

I want to be able to get my pc sound on my cinema kit is this possible wireless?

I have also got a laptop could use to link or do something but it is old??

just want to know what kinda ideas are possible (saw fabulous homes on mtv yesterday anyone seen bill gates seattle mansion sumut like that do nicely )

sorry bit vague but as you can tell... aint got a clue!!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:20 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Ok, depending on what sound/picture quality you are after, this can be done, but don't expect the impossible, wireless technology isn't that great for transporting video/audio unless you use broadcast equipment, but then you would fry your brains after 10 minutes.

There is a gizmo out there (several in fact), that plug in the back of your sky/dvd/vcr, and wirelessly transmit video and stereo audio to another in the house, which is in turn plugged into a bedroom tv for example.

I think they are called video senders, I guess the cost would be around £50-£100. That would take care of the TV out + Sound from your PC to your TV, but be aware that TV resolution is much lower than a standard PC so you won't be able to see very clearly on the TV, forget browsing the web, emails, etc.. only really best used to watch mpeg/divx, or, maybe just about enough to play/manage MP3s.

I hope this helps
Greg
Old 05-01-2005, 07:47 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Oh, forgot to mention anything about remote controlling your PC.

You could try a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but I would be surprised if the range was sufficient.

Otherwise, you can get infrared keyboards with an integrated trackpad/joystick thing, but that would require you to run a serial cable from the PC into the lounge so you can see the infra-red receiver.

If you have a laptop and a wireless network, you can run a utility called a VNC server on your desktop PC and a VNC client on the laptop and use this to remote control the PC from the laptop. VNC is free and easily found on the web.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:01 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks for the info!! gives me a good start of things to look for!!
Old 05-01-2005, 08:27 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

No worries, any issues, ask.