General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Word of WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 16-01-2010, 07:33 PM
tiny2white
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Word of WARNING

Started my own business begining of last year and bought myself a brand new van (VW Transporter lwb 172ps) fast as fook! Any way all new diesels are now fitted with a DPF filter (Diesel Particulate Filter) basicly 2nd catalitic converter, these units are a pain in the arse if you dont do regular motorway driving you get a light on dash telling you the DPF is filling up and needs help to regenerate!
within the first 1200 miles i had this light on 7 times! the 8th time at just over 1200 miles the ecu went to limp home mode leaving me stranded in gillingham kent, i live in north london. So after a 60mile motorway journey it was still blocked! had to be trailored home.

Van went into southgate Alan Day who reset it and also reported the drivers side hub nut was loose (only after i pointed out the noise form this wheel). since then the dpf light has been on moor times than i care to remember everytime meaning i have to find the nearest fast bit of road and hold 2000rpm for 15mins. So a device designed to remove harmful particals from our air causes me to make unnecessary trips burning moor diesel.

Ontop of all this i've been told that these engines use around 1l of oil every 1000miles, mine has never used any but the oil is all ways above level, i have done two oil and filter changes (van has only covered 9000 miles) at a cost of £80 trade (do work myself) and still the level rises. only thing i can put this down to is diesel seeping in to sump maybe due to back pressure off dpf filter as it doesn't use egr valve.

I'm at the point of having some nasty signs made for sides of van and parking outside a VW show room!

VW customer care are a bunch of morons and not worth the 10min wait to get through to.

any1 else had problems like this?
what i'd really like to know is there a sort of de-cat pipe for these DPF filters that will leave the sesors reading or can the ecu be reprogrammed to disregard them any tuners want to use my van as a test subject to design 1 let me know think there would be a big market for them as all VW?AUDI diesels are suffering from this problem some moor than others!

well pissed off with VW for not highlighting this issue to me prior to buying a £27,000 van not suited to my needs!

Rant over
Old 16-01-2010, 07:37 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fookin ell not had fun there.... this is probably why Transit vans are the most popular types of vans you can get
Old 16-01-2010, 07:39 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pretty poor that, ive got a transporter but its the lowest powered one (tight bastards), it uses 1l every 10,000 miles but fuck me it hates weight!! Just had the glow plug wiring loom changed in this one but out of 6 vans doing 30k+ a year there the best weve had.
Old 16-01-2010, 07:44 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jeez! Sounds like you have good reason to be pissed off after all that! Id be sending the car back and trying to give them the van back for full money back. A long shot i know but worth a go. Surely theres some sale of goods act that this comes under as the van is clearly not fit for purpose.

Also, £27k for a van! Ill stick with my 2 grander thats never missed a beat since ive had it
Old 16-01-2010, 07:46 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there has been problems with people removing DPF's, not many people can get them running right with the DPF removed, at work we have now sussed a load of files & can remove DPF's on most vehicles & remap them to suit, we done a BMW this week, a new DPF was £1200 +vat then gaskets & labour on top.......

edit to add, the BMW was a few years old & had done over 100k, i wouldn't be happy if it was a new van, sounds like it must have an underlying issue.

Last edited by GUZZLER; 16-01-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 16-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gary has a Seat Leon 170PS TDi, it's the DPF model. Historically, VAG diesels (Golf/Passat/Leon etc) do about 50+MPG, his does about 35-38mpg! It is very clean, following it you'd never know it's a Diesel, but it does seem like a system thats not really ready to be released yet.
Old 16-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

VW customer care is rubbish to be honest in my times of owning my mk5 golf gt tdi.
Old 16-01-2010, 07:49 PM
rspickup
Regular Contributor

my neighbour has just bought a brand new one, Sportline, with every option ex demo 26k !!!! expensive if he going to experiance that greif!
Old 16-01-2010, 07:52 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

try watch dog
Old 16-01-2010, 07:52 PM
tiny2white

Originally Posted by MadMac
Fookin ell not had fun there.... this is probably why Transit vans are the most popular types of vans you can get
Apparantly the new Transits are the same wish i had ordered the V6 petrol version now
Old 16-01-2010, 07:56 PM
tiny2white

Originally Posted by StephenC
pretty poor that, ive got a transporter but its the lowest powered one (tight bastards), it uses 1l every 10,000 miles but fuck me it hates weight!! Just had the glow plug wiring loom changed in this one but out of 6 vans doing 30k+ a year there the best weve had.
I've had just over a ton in back 3 man up and this still pulls like a train it got the same torque as my 350bhp saph 305ft lbs
Old 16-01-2010, 08:00 PM
tiny2white

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
try watch dog
thought about that, also thought about returning it straight through show room window!

i spent that sort of money on a van thinking that it would last me a while and theres nothing worse than leaving early for a site visit or to price up a job turning the key on an old shitter and it dont start! but now i wish i had bought an older version as pre 2007 models dont have the dpf filter
Old 16-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

modern technology strikes again. You should of bought a tranny van.
Old 16-01-2010, 08:22 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by tiny2white
Apparantly the new Transits are the same wish i had ordered the V6 petrol version now
egr valves cause problems, not a lot else goes wrong with them mechancially, we've got a few
Old 16-01-2010, 08:23 PM
liam-rst
shit happens

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we run 7 transits at work from a 51 reg right through to a brand spanker an the only trouble we ever had with any of em was when the turbo packed up an destroyed the engine but that was at 141k, transit all the way my man an our most expensive 1 was only 22k
Old 16-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Think there's something wrong with the set-up as you say I had a Golf GT TDI (170PS) hire car and it suffered exactly the same problems as your van. It was dire.

My old man used to have a Jaguar S-Type 2.7D which had a diesel partical filter. That didn't get used alot on the motorway and it did 60K without a single problem before he got rid!
Old 16-01-2010, 08:32 PM
rossco22

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
there has been problems with people removing DPF's, not many people can get them running right with the DPF removed, at work we have now sussed a load of files & can remove DPF's on most vehicles & remap them to suit, we done a BMW this week, a new DPF was £1200 +vat then gaskets & labour on top.......

edit to add, the BMW was a few years old & had done over 100k, i wouldn't be happy if it was a new van, sounds like it must have an underlying issue.

Were you at work today m8 ? (Jamsport) Came over with a m8 to get his mk2 astra let set up completley forgot you worked there else i would have said hello lol..
Old 16-01-2010, 08:40 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

the top and bottom of this is you have been miss sold the van, it is not suitable for your daily driving pattern, this should be qualified at time of purchase especially from a dealer, I would be having a chat, though, have you got a sticker, top right of the screen ?
Old 16-01-2010, 08:43 PM
tiny2white

Originally Posted by Drunken Master
Think there's something wrong with the set-up as you say I had a Golf GT TDI (170PS) hire car and it suffered exactly the same problems as your van. It was dire.

My old man used to have a Jaguar S-Type 2.7D which had a diesel partical filter. That didn't get used alot on the motorway and it did 60K without a single problem before he got rid!
Alan day sent my ecu report/map/reading to germany who confirmed and i quote there is nothing wrong with my van! so basicly i'm a lying little shit

all i will say is think about buying something else as i'm not the only 1 to have this problem with transporter/caravelle
Old 16-01-2010, 08:53 PM
tiny2white

Originally Posted by markk
the top and bottom of this is you have been miss sold the van, it is not suitable for your daily driving pattern, this should be qualified at time of purchase especially from a dealer, I would be having a chat, though, have you got a sticker, top right of the screen ?
yes got that sticker which tells you to hold 2000-2500rpm for 15mins when light is on dash also got a number on it to call if you still have problems, called them 1 day and was told 'why are you calling this number this is roadside assistance we deal with break down'
well whys ya fucking number on the sticker?????

after nearly a year of this i really wish i had got a transit
Old 16-01-2010, 09:00 PM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fuck that, ive got a p reg transporter had it 5 years, bought it on 40,000 now on 90 odd never missed a beat
Old 16-01-2010, 10:37 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

unfortunatley all diesels are now being fitted with this transit included ive so far seen it on peugeots renaults citroens bmw's volkswagens nissans ford focus and new mondeo and have all given problems but then again they would cus citroen started it all!!!!!
Old 16-01-2010, 11:31 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know of loads of people that have and had transporters 130bhp's and 174bhp's most of them has had nothing but bother gearboxes, headgaskets central locking problems the list goes on, my brother was thinking on buying one few years ago says he never buy one now, he bought a mercedes vito 150bhp remapped it has drove the shit out of it last 3 years and not a problem... im my opinion the the mercedes vito are hard to beat, andy

mate you should go back with the van and demand somthing be done, andy
Old 17-01-2010, 12:50 AM
becca s2rs
Regular Contributor

Ive got an 09 plate sprinter 311cdi lwb with 7500 on the clock and its the nuts real pleasure to drive, but once a week it gos into this limp mode and it dosent rev properly the engine note changes and smokes like a chimney if i turn the van off and start again it usualy sorts it out. Its been back to mercs twice and both times say theres nothing wrong with it and no fault stored but it might be the filter regenerating itself so they cant do much else with it, theyve told me i need to drive it on the motorway for 30 mins at 70mph?? and i drive it too slow to which i replied i drive it like i stole it! and they just look at you with the (am i ment to be bothered look) on there face
Old 17-01-2010, 03:21 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Ontop of all this i've been told that these engines use around 1l of oil every 1000miles, mine has never used any but the oil is all ways above level, i have done two oil and filter changes (van has only covered 9000 miles) at a cost of £80 trade (do work myself) and still the level rises. only thing i can put this down to is diesel seeping in to sump maybe due to back pressure off dpf filter as it doesn't use egr valve.
Yes, because on regeneration runs, the ECU injects lots of fuel to get EGTs up (it's a diesel so more fuel more heat). The unburnt fuel runs down the piston rings and ends up in the oil.

I don't really understand why people still think that Veedubs are in any way superior to a Ford or Vauxhall and go on about the german built quality. If that's the best Germans can do than I'd happily burn my passport...
Old 17-01-2010, 05:12 AM
ShedSpeed
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

when i was working as a recovery driver, i had one of these, same engine but with an alloy beavertail. hammered it up and down the country at 75mph (limited as it would do 120 with a car on the back otherwise!) covered about 180,000 miles in 6 months! it did have a management light come up occasionally, but never noticed any actual problems in that area.

only problem it did have is that if you actually wanted to use the vehicle to carry any weight then the DMF shat itself, shortly followed by the long driveshaft centre bearing

it did use about a litre every 1000miles too

might be an idea to speak to someone who knows a bit about VAGCOM, as i've heard seat leon TDI owners use it to run without a MAF sensor whilst they remortgage their house for a replacement sensor!

Last edited by ShedSpeed; 17-01-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 17-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Jumbo
Regular Contributor

Started my own business begining of last year and bought myself a brand new van (VW Transporter lwb 172ps) fast as fook! Any way all new diesels are now fitted with a DPF filter (Diesel Particulate Filter) basicly 2nd catalitic converter, these units are a pain in the arse if you dont do regular motorway driving you get a light on dash telling you the DPF is filling up and needs help to regenerate!
within the first 1200 miles i had this light on 7 times! the 8th time at just over 1200 miles the ecu went to limp home mode leaving me stranded in gillingham kent, i live in north london. So after a 60mile motorway journey it was still blocked! had to be trailored home.

Van went into southgate Alan Day who reset it and also reported the drivers side hub nut was loose (only after i pointed out the noise form this wheel). since then the dpf light has been on moor times than i care to remember everytime meaning i have to find the nearest fast bit of road and hold 2000rpm for 15mins. So a device designed to remove harmful particals from our air causes me to make unnecessary trips burning moor diesel.

I'm at the point of having some nasty signs made for sides of van and parking outside a VW show room!

VW customer care are a bunch of morons and not worth the 10min wait to get through to.

what i'd really like to know is there a sort of de-cat pipe for these DPF filters that will leave the sesors reading or can the ecu be reprogrammed to disregard them any tuners want to use my van as a test subject to design 1 let me know think there would be a big market for them as all VW?AUDI diesels are suffering from this problem some moor than others!

well pissed off with VW for not highlighting this issue to me prior to buying a £27,000 van not suited to my needs!

Rant over
Hi mate, my dad's got a sprinter 318cdi v6 with the same problem. He took it to mercedes and they wanted £800 plus for this Particulate filter!
Now beore he ordered this van, he was not told about this problem and was promised bumper to bumper warranty which in this case they seem to have broke the agreement. He has been down to milton keynes head office and pitched outside for a nite making the papers and giving them a bad name in the process.
Nothing has been resolved yet but it looks promising. Over the last 5 years me and my dad have spent close to £700,000 on merc trucks and vans. To be pissed about over a particulate filter is a joke.
I know of VW and Sprinter vans parked up in car parks just because of this DPF problem and companies choosing to leave them there as to pay for this rectification is something that should be sorted by the manufacture. Again, the customer being told of this after buying the van.
My dads van has been regenerated loads of times by now, its still not 100% but it is driveable upto 70-80mph which is fast enough.
If you could come up with a pipe and a way the ECU won't recognise it, you will make alot of money. I could have you a big order if this is the case. Let me know how you get on
Old 17-01-2010, 07:32 AM
ServerKing
Virgin

Rant over
I'm surprised, but I thought Alan Day weren't bad, I used to have a Passat! If you want a really bad experience at a dealer's, buy a Vauxhall I just got shot of my Vectra and now am the proud owner of a Mondeo Ghia TDCi

You should have got a Transit
Old 17-01-2010, 08:30 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

I had a citroen c4 vts 2.0 hdi, remapped to 169 bhp.... the DPF needs refilling every 50k miles , I bought the refil kit and refilled it myself but it was still showing "particle filter addative low" message on the computer in the car. i then went to citroen to get it checkefed. turned out the dpf ecu, the dpf itself and a sensor were all fooked £1200 later it was perfect again. one thing is for sure i will never own another car with a dpf again, shit design
Old 17-01-2010, 08:31 AM
badnews

we have the same trouble with the chev trucks we fit a banks ecu upgrade and they seem loads better and don't throw codes, i have cut a few out as well as the customer just wants rid of it and won't leave with it in towing is the real problme for these trucks out here with the speed limit between 100-110 kilometers they never work hard and it blocks dpf quick smart and at $120,000 dolla's there are some very upset folk at the side of the road with a new truck that won't pull you out of bed let alone a fith wheel caravan, the package for the truck and 5th wheel rv start at $250,000 and can go another 50k on extras so they get the banks conversion wich helps loads. the problme then is wheel spin with the old grey nomads lol, kickdown a load of boost and they light the wheels up smoking the tyres ahahhahha
Old 17-01-2010, 08:55 AM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

trannies aint great, mine now wont lock the drivers door on the fob, washer fuse keeps goin, abs wiring on rear beam keeps falling off the clips so now is on with amalgamating tape and yesterday i couldnt get in it cos it wouldnt unlock

think i'd rather have a van that did those things but didnt run
Old 17-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
modern technology strikes again. You should of bought a tranny van.
Yeah buy a tranny van then you can fork out a grand for a new diesel pump fitting like ive just had to

Or buy a trafic like my other van, so you can go back to renault with it 7 times in its mere 17k miles....bag of shit it is! if you think VW customer service is bad try those white flag waving cunts

Last edited by Lee Reynolds; 17-01-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 17-01-2010, 09:20 AM
tiny2white

Originally Posted by becca s2rs
Ive got an 09 plate sprinter 311cdi lwb with 7500 on the clock and its the nuts real pleasure to drive, but once a week it gos into this limp mode and it dosent rev properly the engine note changes and smokes like a chimney if i turn the van off and start again it usualy sorts it out. Its been back to mercs twice and both times say theres nothing wrong with it and no fault stored but it might be the filter regenerating itself so they cant do much else with it, theyve told me i need to drive it on the motorway for 30 mins at 70mph?? and i drive it too slow to which i replied i drive it like i stole it! and they just look at you with the (am i ment to be bothered look) on there face
I blew the turbo on one of these after 600miles that why i didn't even look at mercs
Old 17-01-2010, 09:25 AM
tiny2white

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Yes, because on regeneration runs, the ECU injects lots of fuel to get EGTs up (it's a diesel so more fuel more heat). The unburnt fuel runs down the piston rings and ends up in the oil.
thats what i have explained to alan day, pointed out that the oil stinks of diesel and all they tell me is dont worry about the oil un less the light comes on the dash!

but i also heard of engines locking due to diesel contamination in the oil which vw wont cover!
Old 17-01-2010, 09:32 AM
cossie col
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

got a vito 112cdi 52 reg from new, this is also a peice of shit, fookin electrics are shit doors wont lock proper on remote and forever cleaning contacts, wiring in drivers door has been fixed god knows how many times, perhaps shouldn't open door? brakes are shit needs new discs and pads all the time as they can't cope with weight. traction control cuts in everytime its damp so tryin to pull out in busy traffic is dangerous as it cuts all power and general build quality is shit on them. Mine has also rusted like a turd and only done 70000. was thinkin of a transporter to replace it but all vans seem to be shit.
Old 17-01-2010, 09:36 AM
cossie col
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats what i have explained to alan day, pointed out that the oil stinks of diesel and all they tell me is dont worry about the oil un less the light comes on the dash!

but i also heard of engines locking due to diesel contamination in the oil which vw wont cover!
that is proper shit cause how else does diesel get in there unless its there shit design/build, or do you put deisel in there instead of oil....... fookin cunts
Old 17-01-2010, 03:03 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Yeah buy a tranny van then you can fork out a grand for a new diesel pump fitting like ive just had to

Or buy a trafic like my other van, so you can go back to renault with it 7 times in its mere 17k miles....bag of shit it is! if you think VW customer service is bad try those white flag waving cunts
Lee, the new transits don't have injector pumps.

Should have bought a 200ps Transit!

I've got a fleet of Crapter vans coming on contract maintenance soon. Looks like I'm going to have fun!!
Old 17-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

My Dad has a SWB Transporter and hasn't had a single fault. It's been brilliant. It's an 06.
Old 17-01-2010, 07:45 PM
tiny2white

Originally Posted by alan_d
my dad has a swb transporter and hasn't had a single fault. It's been brilliant. It's an 06.
like i said pre 2007 were not fitted with dpf filters so you wont have any problems
Old 17-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Harris RST
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

We have a lot of problems with Audi's and usually if they are not regenerating on the road then there is a problem somewhere which wont usually let it regenerate. Usually the G450 exhaust pressure sensor. On the slightly earlier Audi's we had a TPI that told us to fit a new G450 and carried out a software update of the ECU. This seemed to cure the older models but the newer ones are playing around now. Dare say Audi will release anoter TPI soon

Quick Reply: Word of WARNING