General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Flat spot, Zetec 1.8Si 1998

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM
tim_ber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat spot, Zetec 1.8Si 1998

Hi all,

following on from this thread:

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...ower-loss.html

I had the ecu read - 2 faults showed (HEGO and MAF). When he wiped the ecu I went back with the same problem and NO FAULTS showed. A bit of digging showed a coolant sensor not working which I've replaced.

Car was a lot better. As the sensor had four pins the garage reckoned it could be upsetting the ecu and overchoking etc occur - but he admitted not being sure and that it was a bit of a headscratcher.

But now 2 problems occur. Apart from that she runs sweetly.

Doesn't start as well as it used to from cold (takes longer to crank - used to spark after second turn)
Flat spot - e.g. 4 th gear - went to accelerate and hit flat spot, flooring it sometimes goes through the flat spot, if not, changing to 5th clears it up and car accelerates ok (although not as quickly as being in 4th obviously).

Before I start spending £100 for MAF, then Coil pak then HEGO etc, anyone have any ideas?

I am trying to get pinout data (I missed one book for sale on ebay and the torrent download failed last night with 1% still to go!) so I can do a resistance check on all sensors (apparently this is more accurate then an ecu check which doesn't show every fault - bloke at Fords said coil pack can fail and not show up as a fault on ecu readout)

Final bit on info, because exhaust gasses were found in the coolant water (hence head gasket change) I chucked in some K-seal.
After this job, the car was a lot better - certainly no power loss as in first thread which was a great relief with motorway driving, so am wondering if somehow the K-seal almost fixed the car, but some water is still interrupting the firing? and it has nothing to do with MAF, HEGO, throttle position sensor?

So it looks like I am pondering water ingress, MAF, coil pack, HEGO, throttle position sensor, cat collapse?

Cheers all.