General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

do people go mad when they retire ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010 | 08:39 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Default do people go mad when they retire ?

reason i ask is my parents have,,,, and they have all sorts of strange things they now do

my dad recorded all of hes old football matches from VHS onto DVD,,,,,, and he a HUGE football fan,,,,, then he done the pointles DIY,,,, shelves everywhere, then he went into collecting animal orniments,,,, then he bought a shredder,,,, he shreds everything,,,, he can even shred old bank cards and DVDs in hes shredder,,,,, and he loves showing me

NOW, NOW hes bought bloody breadmaker and hes making fucking bread,,,, LOTS OF FUCKING BREAD !! and due to this hes constantly making me bloody sandwiches every few hours,,,, this is my fourth one today,,,,, hes changed the bread adn wants opinions,,,,

IT DONT TASTE AS GOOD AS BLOODY KINGSMILL WHICH IS CHEEPER TO BUY !!!

hes now said hes gonna make me sandwiches for work too,,,, great !!

i think ill just start a bloody sandwich round,,,, or get him a application form for "Gregs" so he can get paied to make bread rather than pretend hes mr kipling !!!

i swear hes loosing it,,,, what man gets up in the morning and starts making bloody bread ( though the smell in the house is nice)
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:43 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Trust me hes not half as strange as the guy 2 doors down
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:44 PM
longdog
PassionFord Post Troll

Thats well funny My misses went on a cake making misson a few weeks back. I ended up taking half a spooge cake to work for dinner.
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:49 PM
kidsRS
"Ill check the stock"

Cant beat home made bread!
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:50 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no they dont go mad when they retire mate, there all ready mad be for that, its only when they retire from work thier brain has nothing else to concentrate on, so the madness takes over fully.
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:51 PM
cozzymatt
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

so very fucking true mate
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:51 PM
JK12
Advanced PassionFord User

lol i cant wait retire! while yet!

always wonder why old people get up early as well when they have nish to do all day?
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:52 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by kidsRS
Cant beat home made bread!
then you need to stop buying sunblessed bread and start buying kingsmill matey

he was telling my little one hes gonna take her to the park and feed the ducks,,,,, some of hes bread is sooo heavy that if he chucked it in the water either the bread will sink,,,,, or the duck thats eaten it will sunk to the bottom !!!
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:55 PM
Punkie
For Sale..Apply within.

Yes. The other halfs dad dug up half the garden, and then re-seeded it last year for no reason....then this year, the bit he reseeded, he dug up again to put their new conservatory there
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by JK12
lol i cant wait retire! while yet!

always wonder why old people get up early as well when they have nish to do all day?
my old man as a rare eye desise thats making him blind and its very painfull at times as its behind hes eye and its suspected i might have it also as i am also light sensitive too ( best learn the bread recipes i guess) but cause of this he can go for days with no sleep due to pain then he will just pass out and sleep for a few hours OR he will spend days in hes bedroom with curtains that cut out all light and sit in the dark listening to the radio till he sleeps

but thats hes bad days,,,,,, hes good days he does strange things to keep hes time amused,,,,, only good thing is hes learned how to use a washing machine and washes my clothes and puts them away too,,, even at 4am some mornings !!!!
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:58 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

as st3v3 says!

its better than giving up on life which sadly some oldies do when they retire. You hear it quite a lot, some guy doing career for 40 years, retires and is dead within a year!
Old 11-01-2010 | 09:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah i hear that point of veiw,,,, but why bloody bread !!!, he also keeps buying cat things that look like my cat, pictures, keyrings,,,, a bloody coaster and tea tiny tea tray aswell,,,, keeps buying em for me cause its got a bloody cat on it,,,, i love my pet cat but im not a "cat person" as such but now if you come into my room it looks like a 50 year old single women lives in it,,,, he even got my little girl a toy cat that actually sleeps in its basket,,,, a motor makes it look like its breathing,,,,,, I OWN A BLOODY CAT,,,, IT ALREADY DOES THIS DONT NEED A KIDS TOY THAT DOES THE SAME THING !!!
Old 11-01-2010 | 09:21 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

I suspect im the only one on here thats actually retired, its 3 years now & my brain aint decayed . Its a great time. Been envolved with lots of cars & designed a fair few Looms for 1 offs etc. Looking at the design of a Test Box for Vipec at the mo so no time for Brain decay & certainly no time for baking bread .
You lads keep on wasteing all that precious time working & i will carry on enjoying life doing just what i want, when i want .
Old 11-01-2010 | 09:26 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

rod would you agree keeping busy helps though? (the irony of the thread being about mad old people and you being called madrod adds a chuckle).

Ginge how about talking to him and telling him your all catted out communication and all that! not a male strongpoint
Old 11-01-2010 | 09:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by MadRod
I suspect im the only one on here thats actually retired, its 3 years now & my brain aint decayed . Its a great time. Been envolved with lots of cars & designed a fair few Looms for 1 offs etc. Looking at the design of a Test Box for Vipec at the mo so no time for Brain decay & certainly no time for baking bread .
You lads keep on wasteing all that precious time working & i will carry on enjoying life doing just what i want, when i want .
rod i thought you done work for mark ?

forgive me for sounding stupid but someone who retires,,,, then does services for payment,,,,, does that not mean they are no longer retired ?

or am i looking at that all wrong,,,,, oh and my old man has no time for working on cars,,,, hes a simply man who worked hard all hes life and retired early at the age of 55 just thinking hes getting bored of things to do as hes first few years they was always on bloody holiday and are now fed up of waiting for luggage on planes and the check ins
Old 12-01-2010 | 07:55 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

I know i've got another 35 years yet but i'm looking forwards to retiring.. Started my pension @ 18 and should have a healthy wedge every month later on in life
Old 12-01-2010 | 07:58 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I bought a corsa of an old chap a few years back, he gave us a book in which he made a record of every time he went to the petrol station.

Fuel amount, mileage, date - WHY lol!!

I think it must be savage, all those years doing something then nothing!!

My old man couldn't hack it, looked ill and aged within a year, ended up moving up north to run a caravan park, he now looks full of life again, new friends and lots to do and is in his 70's.
Old 12-01-2010 | 08:03 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Originally Posted by matts1
I bought a corsa of an old chap a few years back, he gave us a book in which he made a record of every time he went to the petrol station.

Fuel amount, mileage, date - WHY lol!!
My old dear still does that! Amazes me how cheap fuel was 5 years ago!
Old 12-01-2010 | 08:15 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Boredom must have something to do with it, so people find things to do
Old 12-01-2010 | 08:35 AM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

95% of my customers are retired and they seriously have some strange ways. One observation i have though is that a lot of them that have properly lost the plot ie very advanced stages of alzheimers/dementia many had quite intelligent jobs lets say. By that i mean they were very well educated and were teachers/academics and the like. These seem to really lose it, they are very active and still sharp then it hits them like the brains had enough.

I've learnt a lot about later life since i've worked in my current place and i take the piss out of my dad when i ask if he can do something for me that he must be the busiest retired man i know "well, join the queue i've got that to do, then that for your sister and then this over here" but you've got to keep the mind active.

Leave the old boy to it and take the sarnies in for everyone at work! He could easily vegetate and shut down but he's not letting it happen.
Old 12-01-2010 | 09:08 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Yep, my dad retired at 59 due to his health, and he is constantly doing stuff that dosn't need to be done, and moans about tiny issues .. But at least he is enjoying his time, as he does go out a lot to do stuff he wants to, and has bought an MGF to play in .. Nice having dinner made most days as well.
Old 12-01-2010 | 09:12 AM
davek1
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

my dad retired at 65 and he was bored shit less and driving mum mad at home so after 6 month's he went back to work part time