General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Free Laptops and Internet......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GARETH T
how much will it really cost the goverment? 5million maybe? its FUCK ALL
Oh and it isn't going to "cost the government" - it's going to cost you and me my friend, you and me!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 PM
DMR
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm all for it on the condition that it has to be returned after use. in the condition it was supplied in. 250,000 laptop for the next generation of kids
Old 11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
i could not believe it when i read it.
You read it?
Cool, that means you realise its for hard working people on low paid jobs then who do long hours etc, nice one, hopefully you wont come out with such stupid comments as the other sun readers in this thread who comment without taking in ANY of the info.

Its not enough we pay for the spongers life's and allow them to have a baby farm we now have to pay for their computers and internet.
Oops, I spoke too soon clearly.

Sounds like another one who could have benefitted from a PM who cared about education when you were a kid then
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Thrush
Between 3 and 5 million. Which isn't fuck all when this country is in over a trillion pounds worth of debt, police departments are laying off officers cos of lack of funds, etc etc. Oh and don't forget the Ł10m it will cost to create and maintain an infastructure to put ALL pupils records on the internet for parents to access (which they probably won't anyway, so that's more money wasted)

Put the money into pulling the country out of recession FFS! Why are we pretty much the only major country still in this recession? Cos numpty fucking politicians keep doing stupid fucking things like this!

Can I be considered a low income household? I could realy do with a new laptop, and would love to not e paying Ł21 a month for internet. Sadly I can't afford a new laptop, and struggle with the monthly bills. But I bet I ain't getting fuck all for free!
If you genuinely struggle with the bills and you have kids then yes you should be able to get one.

Obviously if your idea of struggling isnt just struggling to survive but struggling to have a nice lifestyle (like myself, when I say im "skint" I mean its not as easy taxing my 6 cars as it used to be and im down to only eating out 5 nights a week not 7 and only doing 2 trackdays a month not 3, so im not really skint ) then no you wont be eligable.

Its intended for genuinely POOR people, not people who just cant have as many nice flash things as they want, its for the sort of people who work hard, are sensible with their money, and still struggle just to pay for the heating etc, so couldnt even consider buying a laptop normally.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Chip

Thrush, If it costs 20 million in total like you are saying to do this scheme, thats only 50p each for the 40million tax payers in this country, im quite happy to pay 1p a week more in tax if it means better education for poor families who are working hard and struggling to get by!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Low income or on the dole don't fucking matter get off their collective arses and walk to the fucking school,and yeah,get scrotum face the fuck out of number 10.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Low income or on the dole don't fucking matter get off their collective arses and walk to the fucking school,and yeah,get scrotum face the fuck out of number 10.
So you believe that every person in this country who is in a low paid job, many of whom are also work very long hours are "on their arse"

Fucking amazes me sometimes how blinkered some of the people on this forum are, I know I should have got used to it by now, but it really does still surprise me.

I know plenty of people, many of whom dont have a good job partly because the state education system let them down so badly, who work far harder for their pittance than fortunate people like myself do for a good wage, so anything that helps their kids break out of that cycle is a good thing IMHO

Anyway its NOT just about the parents, I really cant believe that so many of you miss the fact that by making more of the school processes happen online, rather than by having hundreds of parents walk down the schools it means that the teachers can then spend more of their time actually teaching.
So EVERY kid benefits from that, not just the poor ones that you all think deserve to rot in hell cause their dad isnt very bright and works long hours in a poor paid job to try and support his family, but also the lucky ones like me in our well paid jobs, their kids benefit too!

Last edited by Chip; 11-01-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

No but they can fooking walk to check on their kid's progress.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats wrong with people that have no internet going to an internet cafe? Thats what I always have to do if my internet at home goes up the spout.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM
CF20
RS

this is why this country is fucked everyone is always trying to be better than the other person looking down on people with poor lower class

its you lot who complain who have there head up your there own arseholes, just be fucking pleased for people ffs

what whould you do stone a poor man to death who came begging at your door in the old days, tell him to get off his arse, it takes a man to take in a poor man in and feed and treat him like a human being
Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM
turbotoaster
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

jesus people on here are retarded, i mean seriously bad, do you lot actually read what it said!

Stoke where i live pays the lowest in the country, if you even have a job your lucky, most jobs are minimum wage and i say every little helps.

I know if im working my balls off for 14k a year and this would help my kid get a better education id be really happy that someone else is helping my family when i cant.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Oh and it isn't going to "cost the government" - it's going to cost you and me my friend, you and me!
as chip so rightly points out,, its a penny a week!!!! i believe people do deserve the best we all can give them!

if your so outspoken about it all, why not try and be an PM! please remember its very easy to criticize
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by turbotoaster
jesus people on here are retarded, i mean seriously bad, do you lot actually read what it said!

Stoke where i live pays the lowest in the country, if you even have a job your lucky, most jobs are minimum wage and i say every little helps.

I know if im working my balls off for 14k a year and this would help my kid get a better education id be really happy that someone else is helping my family when i cant.
Fair play mate, thats what its all about, peeps moan about the money spent on immigrants(me included) then when we want to spend money helping low income families they moan again!!!.

social mobility has stopped and we need to help the poor kids better themselves aint no worthier cause imo
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It might well be a penny a week, but its another thing that we can barely afford.

I NEVER read The Sun, just for the record. I happen to think that its ridiculous and not thought through. As I said on the Sky News comments feed, what happens when, as a result of the ever-evolving world-wide-web and the fact that the laptop will naturally degrade due to these under-educated people knowing nothing about how to maintain a PC, the laptop is fucked in 2 years time, by which time the said family will have become dependant on it but can't really afford to repair/replace it. Then what?

For me it wasn't a rash reaction Chipster, it's a strong belief of mine that alot of these families that are at that point in the income scale probably at some point brought it on themselves. Not all, but most.

I know my financial status is largely my own doing, I was a high-achiever at school, but literally fucked it all up in the last few months, then did the same at college. I went through a 2-year diploma, entirely at merit/distinction level, then flumped it in the last 6 weeks. I held the key to my own destiny, then threw it away. I did that. Me.

As a result, I am an average citizen.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
It might well be a penny a week, but its another thing that we can barely afford.

I NEVER read The Sun, just for the record. I happen to think that its ridiculous and not thought through. As I said on the Sky News comments feed, what happens when, as a result of the ever-evolving world-wide-web and the fact that the laptop will naturally degrade due to these under-educated people knowing nothing about how to maintain a PC, the laptop is fucked in 2 years time, by which time the said family will have become dependant on it but can't really afford to repair/replace it. Then what?

For me it wasn't a rash reaction Chipster, it's a strong belief of mine that alot of these families that are at that point in the income scale probably at some point brought it on themselves. Not all, but most.

I know my financial status is largely my own doing, I was a high-achiever at school, but literally fucked it all up in the last few months, then did the same at college. I went through a 2-year diploma, entirely at merit/distinction level, then flumped it in the last 6 weeks. I held the key to my own destiny, then threw it away. I did that. Me.

i aint being funny mate but you was the one posting the other day about running no security on your pc so you aint really one to talk

Most virus are not downloaded anymore but by drive by downloads where a legit website has been hacked and infected and then spread to other pc,s thru e mails etc.

Always amazes me how many people on here still recomend avg, its fucking shite and has been for a few years, do they not deserve a pc because they are ignorant on pc security as well? People think they are safe if they have a firewall and antivirus what a joke and if your talking about peeps maintaining a pc or laptop 99% of people shouldnt be allowed near one

Last edited by gaz s1; 11-01-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Stevie RS Boy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

what is the thick one eyed scottish twat going to think of next, when i was at school my parents were kept informed of me at school without the internet, but i expect most of these familie,s there kids dont even attend fucking school

Last edited by Stevie RS Boy; 11-01-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 PM
cossiejay

i read the sun,and have had plenty of low paid jobs ,i also passed my exams with out a computer or calculator,i have had to work bloody hard and stupid hours for what i have got,and although i can see a lot of the points raised maybe i should have sat on my arse and had it all given to me for nothing.what will be next 50 inch lcd's for the poor kids with low vision
not everyone needs access to facebook,bebo,ebay there not missing anything
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you own your own home mate,,,, i would say your above average by quite alot

you also have a child,,, education is far more important than we think,, we see how smart the rest of europe is, we are MILES behind and thats costing us in the long run

make our kids smarter then if anything they wont keep voting in the crap partys so its gotta be a good thing

im up for it though i wont qualify but as i have 4 laptops and 2 desk tops and 50k broad band in my household of,,,, 2 adults and 1 6 year old child i dont really need to have these tbh but im fortunate now, there was a time when i wasnt doing so well and i almost had it all taken away from me too
Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by cossiejay
not everyone needs access to facebook,bebo,ebay there not missing anything
mate its for kids to do fucking work on, i use a pc at work and i dont get access to these things either,,,,, but i does help my job ALOT BETTER than the days before computers,,,, so surely schools would also benifit,,, no more " i forgot my home work" and also you can measure how long kids take on homework too

im ALL for it if its used properly which you need to think positive about things like this,, negative thoughts are pointless and done by the same people who make excuses why they never managed to do stuff ect

the kids are out future,,,, lets help them in anyway we can
Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM
cossiejay

Originally Posted by Ginge !
mate its for kids to do fucking work on, i use a pc at work and i dont get access to these things either,,,,, but i does help my job ALOT BETTER than the days before computers,,,, so surely schools would also benifit,,, no more " i forgot my home work" and also you can measure how long kids take on homework too

im ALL for it if its used properly which you need to think positive about things like this,, negative thoughts are pointless and done by the same people who make excuses why they never managed to do stuff ect

the kids are out future,,,, lets help them in anyway we can
our kids have access to the Internet when ever they want and still don't do there homework on it only facebook ,msn,and bebo i like your language you should have had one the you would be able to use alternative words swearing is only a sign of ignorance
Old 11-01-2010, 08:02 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

It's a great idea.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I agree with Chip on some points... sadly though I just see the computers going to the wrong people as these kinda things normally do.....

Imagine all the backhanders and brown envelopes going on whilst the government are actually buying the Laptops as well I'm sure the Government will use its influence and buying power and get a great deal... not

Whats that a policitians brother just got the contract to supply them all??? thats a coincidence!

A laptop or computer that can get on the net... is pennies on ebay by the way. Surely the parents could cut back on the fags for one week and pay for it? kinda joking but in reality I bet this is the case in most cases!

Although I do agree with Chip. Children shouldnt suffer because Parents are selfish or stupid.

This is such a small matter though... and is kinda trying to do good.

The real problem for me is there are unemployed and benefit scamming Immigrants being housed in fucking mansions in this country!!!!! PUT THEM IN WORK HOUSES.... and see how quickly they fook off home!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by gaz s1
i aint being funny mate but you was the one posting the other day about running no security on your pc so you aint really one to talk

Most virus are not downloaded anymore but by drive by downloads where a legit website has been hacked and infected and then spread to other pc,s thru e mails etc.

Always amazes me how many people on here still recomend avg, its fucking shite and has been for a few years, do they not deserve a pc because they are ignorant on pc security as well? People think they are safe if they have a firewall and antivirus what a joke and if your talking about peeps maintaining a pc or laptop 99% of people shouldnt be allowed near one
Running no security on my PC was a conscious descision by me. I've run into no problems, but as I said on the thread, Beccy had a bee in her bonnet about it (she is a BT business broadband technical advisor at the moment and their training had obviously driven home the importance of running BT's recommended security package).

I'm careful about what I do and while I don't use P2P and am very careful about what sites I browse, I'm not that concerned.

However, I have had one of these MSN virus messages from most of my MSN contacts, but have never had any reports of anyone getting one from me, so I'd say my PC is cleaner than most.

My PC gets regularly 'cleaned' and 'defragged' and I run CC Cleaner anyway, as I have for some time. I also look after it by deleting stuff I don't need and archiving stuff on a separate storage drive that I do need, but not yet. Your average scumbag knows that kind of stuff, do they?

So, Gaz, wind you neck in on that one, it's hardly relevant.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by Porkie
I agree with Chip on some points... sadly though I just see the computers going to the wrong people as these kinda things normally do.....

Imagine all the backhanders and brown envelopes going on whilst the government are actually buying the Laptops as well I'm sure the Government will use its influence and buying power and get a great deal... not

Whats that a policitians brother just got the contract to supply them all??? thats a coincidence!

A laptop or computer that can get on the net... is pennies on ebay by the way. Surely the parents could cut back on the fags for one week and pay for it? kinda joking but in reality I bet this is the case in most cases!

Although I do agree with Chip. Children shouldnt suffer because Parents are selfish or stupid.

This is such a small matter though... and is kinda trying to do good.

The real problem for me is there are unemployed and benefit scamming Immigrants being housed in fucking mansions in this country!!!!! PUT THEM IN WORK HOUSES.... and see how quickly they fook off home!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

our kids have access to the Internet when ever they want and still don't do there homework on it only facebook ,msn,and bebo i like your language you should have had one the you would be able to use alternative words swearing is only a sign of ignorance
i was one of the kids who left school with no exams though and i type as i speak, i dont swear as expresion to get my point across,,,,, im just a oaf tbh

i ment if there was programs downloaded that they have to complete at a certain time,,, then they will do it and as its sent to there computer they cant cheat as easy( yes i know theres remote access but that to me shows a bright child thinking out the box,,, still a achivement imo)

i never done homework,,, waited till it had to be done,, this way teachers can check coursework is being done upto date or if someone is lagging behind,,,,they can help if needed and loads of other things can be done,, the internet is more than just porn on a long cold winters night to help you sleep

think positive rather than negative about things,,,, you never know it might make people happier in life in general
Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Incidentally, Rosie has (and has always had) a PC available to her with more software on it than most of her friends PC's have, but I seriously limit her use of it, because I am still a believer in proper methods of research, not simply going on Google to find the answers. Kids these days type EVERYTHING. They can't write for shit and any question they want the answer to is easy to find without having learnt anything along the way.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 PM
gaz s1

Running no security on my PC was a conscious descision by me. I've run into no problems, but as I said on the thread, Beccy had a bee in her bonnet about it (she is a BT business broadband technical advisor at the moment and their training had obviously driven home the importance of running BT's recommended security package).

I'm careful about what I do and while I don't use P2P and am very careful about what sites I browse, I'm not that concerned.

However, I have had one of these MSN virus messages from most of my MSN contacts, but have never had any reports of anyone getting one from me, so I'd say my PC is cleaner than most.

My PC gets regularly 'cleaned' and 'defragged' and I run CC Cleaner anyway, as I have for some time. I also look after it by deleting stuff I don't need and archiving stuff on a separate storage drive that I do need, but not yet. Your average scumbag knows that kind of stuff, do they?

So, Gaz, wind you neck in on that one, it's hardly relevant.
mate you aint got a clue, how do you know you aint infected, rootkits these days are very good at hiding themselves and not making your pc play up.

Have you got outbound filtering on your firewall, if not how do you know whats going out on your pc

Im just posting on your comment about low income peeps not knowing how to mantain a pc and that youre no better, stick to what you know mate and wind your neck in
Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Ginge !
think positive rather than negative about things,,,, you never know it might make people happier in life in general
Yeah, I suppose it might keep people at home on Facebook who would otherwise be standing at the end of my road drinking Thunderbird.

Or maybe they'll be on Google Earth casing the house they want to break into.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Originally Posted by Porkie
It's not just immigrants, bring back Victorian workhouses of every unemployed, benefit scamming cunt.

Like this: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...423801&ref=mf#
Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Yeah, I suppose it might keep people at home on Facebook who would otherwise be standing at the end of my road drinking Thunderbird.

Or maybe they'll be on Google Earth casing the house they want to break into.
hey if they are using google earth to case the place out then book the rental van and also plan the alibi too,,,,,, well that shows they are inteligent and the system still worked,,,,,kids learnt to work smarter rather than work harder,,,, dont complain pmsl

no need to rob old ladies,,,, just sell em stuff on ebay and never send it out and get the money,,, civilised robbery
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by lead_foot
It's not just immigrants, bring back Victorian workhouses of every unemployed, benefit scamming cunt.

Like this: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...423801&ref=mf#
they DO have them,,,, there called Tesco/Morrisons/jjb sports/pubs ect ect,, places where the poor can get a job that pays them almost enough to put food on the table in return for working the shittest hours he world can provide

its a new version of a old system
Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
CF20
RS

come on would you all be saying this if brown said a free laptop to all on passionford i think not, enough said
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by CF20
come on would you all be saying this if brown said a free laptop to all on passionford i think not, enough said
WTF?? Come on, what in gods name is the relevance of that??!!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Lee1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Chip
If some of you thick cunts in this thread who have missed the fact its aimed largely at low income familes who are WORKING had been given a free laptop to use when you were kids maybe you would be able to read properly now and not all be spouting bollocks about it being only for people on the dole, it doesnt say that at all!

A poor kid needs the internet at home to do his homework these days just like a rich kid does, I think anything that helps to level the playing field and give poor kids a chance at a decent education is a good thing!
+1, read/think before you post people , this forum gets worse day by day.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
shocking the working class people get fook all.
Ah well vote tory then, but make sure you buy plenty of KY jelly as the working class will sure get plenty if they get in...........
Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by fiend
Whats wrong with the computers with internet at their local libraries, that are free to use?
EXACTLY! doesnt cost any extra money as they already exist and most librarys are open on a variety of hours to suit all workers! Also it would comply with the governments keep healthy campaigns as the dole scroungers will have to walk to library.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Why do they need to get them given for nothing.... most of them already have them cos a lot on benefits have more money to spend than people that work!!!

I know someone on benefits, she managed to buy her son an Xbox and her daughter got a Wii last year for Christmas! God only knows what the other two got!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy talking about when he referred to hard working people as dole bludgers
For me it wasn't a rash reaction Chipster
Well that says a lot about you then mate, if you took time and your considered opinion about people living in areas of the country where even with hard work and determination just having a low paid job is tough going, and you decided that the correct term for such people was "dole-bludgers"
People like ex miners in welsh villages where the local economy was totally cripled and now struggle to make ends meet do any job they can as the one trade they had has been destroyed.

Cool lets all join in.

Fucking string them up I say the cunts, how dare they spend their life working hard and doing their best but not be lucky, they deserve to die poor an uneducated and so do their scummy fucking kids who had the cheek of not being born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Thank fuck I went from a council estate to a degree and a well paid job, it means I actually count now, otherwise I'd just be scum reading for flushing down your toilet too
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Chip

Maybe you should have brought them up better then

Or is that the government's fault too, that you kids dont want to do their homework

Bottom line is, kids should be given equal breaks wether their parents are "council estate scum" or "decent people who have money", as either ways it not the kids responsibility.

Why should kids have to suffer because their parents havent got a well paid job, and why shouldnt the government look towards more efficient ways of communicating to then allow more of the school budget to go on schooling.

They cant start giving out homework that requires a computer unless kids have access to computers, and some kids dont, so therefore they need to be given that access.

Its hardly fucking fair to expect the 20 poorest kids in the school who actually want to work hard to all take turns in the local library to try and do their homework on a public access computer while the rich kids have it all on a plate at home.

If computers are going to be used to revolutionise all aspects of schooling, which I believe they should be as its a more efficient use of taxpayers money than manual systems, then its a fucking shambles if as a result many hardworking kids from poorer backgrounds are chucked on the rubbish heap cause they cant afford one.

All the people saying "I never had one" it was a different fucking world back then, you cant possibly expect a kid to be successful in the 21st century without having the opportunity to be IT literate!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by XRdodgybird
Why do they need to get them given for nothing.... most of them already have them cos a lot on benefits have more money to spend than people that work!!!

I know someone on benefits, she managed to buy her son an Xbox and her daughter got a Wii last year for Christmas! God only knows what the other two got!

Its not all for people on benefits, LEARN TO READ!

Its for people who work ,but dont earn very much cause they are in low paid jobs.

If this thread proves one thing, its that access to the internet certainly doesnt stop you from being totally fucking ignorant, cause plenty of you are still managing it

Quick Reply: Free Laptops and Internet......