General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO all you plumbers out there!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Matt_16v
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO all you plumbers out there!

I've been giving some serious thought recently to moving on from my good, but shite paid marketing job and doing something totally different, like trying my hand at plumbing. I know it's obviously not quite as easy as that and it can be quite involved and complicated depending on what area you primarily work in, but i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right general direction? How did you start out, what courses did you do? That sort of thing.

I did send off for some info to some training companies just before xmas one of which sent me some info then phoned me about a week later, went through the basics of the course with me over the phone, all sounded good, can do it around my current job, all very nice, until she got to the price of the course! Want to have a guess how much? Bearing in mind you do pretty much all of the course yourself at home apart from 4 weeks of practical work in a college over the course of a year.....................................nope, 5 grand!!!!!!! Could not believe it. I know this was a company i was dealing with so they're making money out of it and that, but 5 grand?!?!? That cant be right surely??

Anyway, next i'm going to go direct to some colleges to see whats what, but i thought it would be good to get some pointers from someone thats been there and done it!

I'm only 27 by the way, not too old for a career change just yet!

Thanks all