General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Last will and testement Question??? Any law people on here??

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2009 | 12:37 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Default Last will and testement Question??? Any law people on here??

My step daughters father died in may of cancer.. she is only 9yr old.. how do you find out if he did a will without asking the family??? nothin seems to make sense, the poor little girl has been given a grand by her step mother yet she is riding around in her new car spending like there's no tomorrow.. she says there was no will made between her and the deceased father, if this is the case then the estate should have been shared equally between his widow and the daughter.. yet she only got given a grand an she's running around in her brand new ford focus and she don't work.. but if they didn't do a will, then the will my misses did when they where married will still be legally binding. although my misses won't get nothing because she's divorced, the daughter will be sole heir to his estate.
Its not that WE want the money, my step daughter is a changed person since his death and has to go for councilling to help her deal with it.. and she misses him dearly.. I want her to have a nice little nest egg for when she grows up to compensate her in some way for losing her father. someone please help me..
This is little rosie a month after his death, she is distraught over it.. holding our little baby, she looks so sad even when she's sleeping bless her

Last edited by 24vcossiemat; 27-12-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 27-12-2009 | 01:10 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Hi mate, are you the member of a union? Or does your work offer a legal-advise service? My union, BECTU, offers a legal service through Thompsons who seem very good. May be worth giving them a ring if nobody on here can help...

Chris
Old 27-12-2009 | 01:22 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

unfortunately not mate, thanks for the reply anyway
Old 27-12-2009 | 01:28 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by supramat2000
if this is the case then the estate should have been shared equally between his widow and the daughter..

Not correct;

Who will inherit the deceased's estate?

If there is no will, there are rules for deciding who will inherit the estate. It depends on the deceased's personal circumstances.
The amounts shown below are appropriate in Northern Ireland for deaths on or after 1 January 2008.
If the deceased was married or in a civil partnership with an estate worth Ł250,000 or less

Everything goes to the husband, wife or civil partner.
If the deceased was married or in a civil partnership with an estate worth over Ł250,000

The husband, wife or civil partner won't automatically get everything although they will receive:
  • personal items, such as household articles and cars, but nothing used for business purposes
  • Ł250,000 free of tax (Ł450,000 if there are no children) and the interest thereon
  • if one child, one-half share of any residue remaining, or if more than one child, one-third share of any residue remaining
The rest of the estate will be shared by the following:
  • children (or if none, grandchildren) will get an equal share
  • if there are no children or grandchildren, surviving parents will get a share
  • if there are no children, grandchildren or surviving parents, any brothers and sisters will get a share (or their children if they died while the deceased was still alive)
  • if the deceased has none of the above, the husband, wife or registered civil partner will get everything

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/gov...is-no-will.htm

Last edited by focusv8; 27-12-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 27-12-2009 | 01:31 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Surley if the young girl was left some of the estate it will remain with the solicitors till the girl is traced, meaning the mother can not go spending what is not hers. The likely out come is there was no will and shes just spending what was left in a joint account etc and gave her a grand for maybe feeling a tad guility as she has a few bob to her name now.

Just my theory as i have no knowledge of wills at all.

The post above seems to have cleared it up.

Last edited by john; 27-12-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 27-12-2009 | 01:32 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by focusv8
Not correct;

If you die without a Will you are said to have died "intestate". In Scotland the law relating to the succession to an intestate estate is governed by the Succession (Scotland) Act 1964. This Act sets out a number of rules and formulas for working out who inherits a deceased's estate. In terms of this Act, a surviving spouse or civil partner is entitled to what are known as "Prior Rights" in the estate. These Prior Rights are a claim to the main residence to a maximum value of Ł300,000, the house contents to a value of Ł24,000 and a cash sum. The value of the cash sum varies depending on whether the deceased is survived by children or not - Ł42,000 where there is a child or children and Ł75,000 when there are none.

http://www.mddc.co.uk/will.html
yeah but that is scotland.. english law may be different.. but i'm not sure.. the point is if they didnt have a will and my misses did have one then that will would be still legally binding. apart from the misses who divorced him so just my step daughter
Old 27-12-2009 | 01:34 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Edited, copied the Scottish not English bit.

Trending Topics

Old 27-12-2009 | 01:37 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

was he married to the other woman? i always thought unless he made a will and named the little girl everything would go to the wife?
Old 27-12-2009 | 01:40 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If the estate is worth over Ł250,000 she should get something.

He was married again so any joint will with a previous wife wouldn't apply.

The problem is YOU will have to find a will if there is one before she spends all the money.

Any idea if he had a solicitor for business, house purchase etc?

Old 27-12-2009 | 01:46 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

The problem is YOU will have to find a will if there is one before she spends all the money.

not sure really, the problem is.. my other half knows that he was always really sensible with things like this.. so the chances are he remade a will with his present misses, he always had friendly contact with us and his ex (my misses), we know he would have left rosie (9yr old) more than a grand.. he was insured to the hilt and expresses that in the previous will.. we think she has not told us the truth and just tried to palm her step daughter off with a grand.. , is this possible??? or would we have been contacted by the solicitor dealing with the will??
Old 27-12-2009 | 01:47 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

dont think he was worth over 250 grand though
Old 27-12-2009 | 02:15 PM
toff
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Why did you not chase this up before ?. And am sure most people could afford a new Focus, Its like she running about in a New merc or something
Old 27-12-2009 | 02:16 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I thought wills had to go through probate so there should be a register somewhere?
Old 27-12-2009 | 02:54 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
I thought wills had to go through probate so there should be a register somewhere?
they do if there over a certain amount of value, but don't think they do if its say for 50,000 or somat
Old 27-12-2009 | 03:27 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Check with the solicitor that did the Will with your misses.

Wills go through Probate when they are Executed.
As far as I know a Will isn't registered anywhere centrally.
I did mine years ago and no-one mentioned a register.

Old 27-12-2009 | 04:27 PM
ally7th
woodhouse motorsport

this may be worth a try-

http://www.probaterecords.co.uk/default.aspx