General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PNC marker on vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2009, 12:05 AM
problematic
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PNC marker on vehicle

Im trying to buy a vehicle, and the trader selling it told me the story behind how he got hold of it, and that the registered keeper on the logbook is now in prison for various offences (some including drug dealing, money laundering... the usual list that you would expect to see! )

Im thinking with the guys previous, the car may have a PNC marker on it but dont know for sure.

Thinking of this, it does put me off and id decided not to buy it on viewing.

However the car is a very very nice example, in absolutely flawless condition with good mileage/paperwork, and the price is just in my budget, I do want it, but decided against it. The only real thing putting me off is knowing its current registered keeper is a convicted felon

If I was to buy this car, and register it to myself, would it being on the PNC affect me in any way? (im not dodgy just dont agree with getting pulled over minutes after going through any ANPR camera)

Are there any traffic police officers or policemen/women with access to PNC able to give me an answer. Im not asking for the check to be done as im pretty sure it cant be done without proper reason (whatever that is) I just want to know the ins and outs of the car having a marker on it (it might not even have one, in which case im pratting about thinking about buying it, when it should be sitting out there on my driveway already!!! )

I discussed it with a few friends who dont really know what theyre talking about Just looking to get some sort of official answer.
Old 27-12-2009, 12:09 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

contact your local police, if you are the new owner they can remove it with proof.. there must be lots of people in your position
Old 27-12-2009, 12:12 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

infact ive just rang my step dad for ya.. he's a cop for west yorks police.. he says if you got pulled an they reallised your a new owner with nowt to hide they would update the pnc marker so it would stop
Old 27-12-2009, 12:21 AM
problematic

thanx for that, thats let a bit of steam out of my meathead

anyone else know any different? or is the above correct

something else that was bothering me, is wouldnt the police or government (customs and excise or whatever) want to reclaim the car as proceeds of crime? if the guy was money laundering and drug dealing or have i just been watching too much tv (the bill)
Old 27-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if its cheap then buy it and sell it on at a profit, if its not cheap find another one. easy as that imo
Old 27-12-2009, 12:48 AM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by problematic
thanx for that, thats let a bit of steam out of my meathead

anyone else know any different? or is the above correct

something else that was bothering me, is wouldnt the police or government (customs and excise or whatever) want to reclaim the car as proceeds of crime? if the guy was money laundering and drug dealing or have i just been watching too much tv (the bill)

another thing to think about, if the previous owner was local to you, and he may be the type of person who has a few enemy's around there, the car may become a target.
Old 27-12-2009, 12:59 AM
problematic

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
if its cheap then buy it and sell it on at a profit, if its not cheap find another one. easy as that imo
if the car has something dodgy linked to it, id rather not touch it

Originally Posted by BigChuck
another thing to think about, if the previous owner was local to you, and he may be the type of person who has a few enemy's around there, the car may become a target.
the car is/was and has been local to me since past 3yrs.
my friend worked at the garage who mot'd it yearly, and it was him that recommended/directed me to it as a car to buy and keep for myself, unfortunately (for me) he didnt know about the previous owners criminal activity!

but i suppose at least the car was cared for
Old 27-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just out of interest what car is it ?
Old 27-12-2009, 01:28 AM
problematic

bmw 5 series
Old 27-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so not exactly a mega rare hard to come by motor then, i'm sure you could find one the same that harns't been owned by the local wrongen.
Old 27-12-2009, 06:23 AM
CossieRob
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mate bought a range rover with some history like that, a month after he bought it he was getting the hump with the sunroof cover not working properly. Took the headlining down and found 5k in fake 20's blocking it! Another mate managed to use it all up too!
Old 27-12-2009, 07:04 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Stick a cheap personal plate on it as soon as you buy it, should stop people spotting it locally.

It's possible it has already been re possessed as proceeds of crime and that's why it's for sale now.
Old 27-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

you sure its not been "hidden" and already down as procedes of crime,,,,, your aware of this and trying to find a way round it

sorry mate but if its down as that you fucked as its stolen and property of customs, soon as the old bill see it they will take it off you as you would have purchased it after it was claimed back by the court of law

i know a person who was deported for a something quite bad and he had a fleet of motors and he had to get rid of em before they found what he owned (dvla cant find a list of cars you own for some reason) so they was all hidden and names changed back dated a day before he was nicked
Old 27-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by focusv8
Stick a cheap personal plate on it as soon as you buy it, should stop people spotting it locally.

It's possible it has already been re possessed as proceeds of crime and that's why it's for sale now.
cars reposessed are ment to be destroyed or used as police undercover cars,,,, though i doubt thats true its what they claim