General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO PF Plumbers/Heating Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 17-12-2009, 02:42 PM
S1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO PF Plumbers/Heating Engineers

How do you work out if a combi boiler will comfortably heat my house and provide hot enough water?

Currently got a conventional boiler but it's old and inefficient so looking to replace it. Been quoted on a replacement Baxi combi and 17 TRV's plus a digital thermo.

What questions should I be asking about the boiler quoted?
Old 17-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Steve the Plumber
The original Rouge Trader

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S1
How do you work out if a combi boiler will comfortably heat my house and provide hot enough water?

Currently got a conventional boiler but it's old and inefficient so looking to replace it. Been quoted on a replacement Baxi combi and 17 TRV's plus a digital thermo.

What questions should I be asking about the boiler quoted?
Its gonna have to be a big combi to do at least 17 rads

1, What Baxi combi are they quoting for?

2. How much guarantee are you getting?

3, Price?

4, Get at least 3 separate quotes!
Old 17-12-2009, 05:35 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

don't forget that a boiler scrappage scheme was recently announced by the chancellor, so make sure you read up on that to get the benefit
Old 17-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

17 rads, jees how bigs ya house?

Well, it should be more than 17 rads, as you should really only fit about a third of the rads with TRV's if its a condensing boiler otherwise the high efficency of the boiler is out the window lol

Last edited by Lee Reynolds; 17-12-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 17-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Rodreguez
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
17 rads, jees how bigs ya house?

Well, it should be more than 17 rads, as you should really only fit about a third of the rads with TRV's if its a condensing boiler otherwise the high efficency of the boiler is out the window lol
y only a third? im a gas engineer n got all my tickets including energy efficiency and under building regs 'best practise' all radiators should av trv's (except the rad or rads where the stat is), n this is supposed 2 save 5% on gas a year! the minimum is trv's on the bedroom rads!

how many bathrooms u got? how many of u live there? if u got showers wat type r they?

u generally size a combi on hot water demand not heating. a combi is a 1 tap appliance if more hots than 1 are drawn at once a combi is not for u

if uve got 17 rads
Old 17-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Rodreguez

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
don't forget that a boiler scrappage scheme was recently announced by the chancellor, so make sure you read up on that to get the benefit
boiler scrappage scheme only applies to g rated boilers so u would need 2 check what rating ur boiler is! i dont know how it works if ur boiler is unrated tho
Old 17-12-2009, 06:07 PM
SelbyRST
4x4 SAFF

i was wondering that about the trvs aswell, we always fit them to every one apart from where the room stat is. regs say you should atleast have them on the bedrooms though. With that many rads must be quite a big house, if i was fitting a new boiler in my house id go a megaflow and get lots of hot water pressure

Trending Topics

Old 17-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem with a combi is it does your hot water toooooo....

Basically - from my info from Tiff and also from the Mechanical Engineers at work ( I'm an Mechanical and Electrical QS - mechanical being plumbing- so these guys spec this stuff for a living and install it )

You need to work out what BTU's you need for each room.. a calculator like this will help.
http://www.theheatinglab.co.uk/btu_calc_guide.php

Alternativly you need to work out what output your radiators make- which may be more difficult, but if you take the length and height of your rads and how many panels you can compare them with currently available models and make allowance for them being older and less effcient maybe.

This may help http://www.mrcentralheating.com/radiators.html

Once you have a total BTU's required add about 20-25% to give you a total BTU output requirement for your boiler.

This isn't a fool proof plan but will give you a generally efficient system that can handle the amount of heat required.

You then need to look at hot water flow rate- I cant remember what the recomendation was but I know the 12.7 l/min I went for was again about 20% over what I needed for my application.

I would say though that 17 radiators PLUS domestic hot water supply does seem a lot for one Combi Boiler.
Old 17-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PS

As above regarding TRV's but for safety you need to ensure that at least one radiator normally the bathroom doesn't have TRV's to ensure that if the flow gets shut off to every rad the water can still circulate or you may fuck the pump in the boiler... I am sure theres prob another techy solution to this, however both Tiff, the guys at work and MR Central Heating recomended this.

PPS - Mr Central Heating is about as cheap as you can get.
Old 17-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PPPS you may find shortley that we as a country move away from Combi's due the water that is wasted while pulling through cold water that is stored in the pipes and heating it as it runs... pressurised water vessels give hot water instantly...

Have you considered a ground source heat pump???
Old 17-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Rodreguez

Originally Posted by Shings
PS

As above regarding TRV's but for safety you need to ensure that at least one radiator normally the bathroom doesn't have TRV's to ensure that if the flow gets shut off to every rad the water can still circulate or you may fuck the pump in the boiler... I am sure theres prob another techy solution to this, however both Tiff, the guys at work and MR Central Heating recomended this.

PPS - Mr Central Heating is about as cheap as you can get.
fit a auto by-pass instead most new boilers have them already mainly system boilers
Old 17-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Rodreguez

Originally Posted by Shings
PPPS you may find shortley that we as a country move away from Combi's due the water that is wasted while pulling through cold water that is stored in the pipes and heating it as it runs... pressurised water vessels give hot water instantly...

Have you considered a ground source heat pump???
pressurised water cylinders do NOT give hot water instantly i know this as i also have my tickets in un-vented hot water! no hot water cylinder gives hot water instantaniously only combi's, water heaters n thermal stores do. i fitted a unvented in my house and they r the bollox! high effiency (so heat up from cold in less than 15mins), high flow rate n high pressure no pumps required for showering!

u can get combis with a store so no heat up is required so less dead legs! as this gives the combi time 2 heat up before store is empty

a ground source heat pump is expensive to install, works best wiv underfloor heating as a larger heat transfer is needed as lower flow temp, roughly 40degrees! or massive rads can be used! also all the ground work required whether done by pile driving or snaking round a large area! a slightly cheaper alternative is air source heat pumps but jus not quite as efficient!
Old 17-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rodreguez
pressurised water cylinders do NOT give hot water instantly i know this as i also have my tickets in un-vented hot water! no hot water cylinder gives hot water instantaniously only combi's, water heaters n thermal stores do. i fitted a unvented in my house and they r the bollox! high effiency (so heat up from cold in less than 15mins), high flow rate n high pressure no pumps required for showering!

u can get combis with a store so no heat up is required so less dead legs! as this gives the combi time 2 heat up before store is empty

a ground source heat pump is expensive to install, works best wiv underfloor heating as a larger heat transfer is needed as lower flow temp, roughly 40degrees! or massive rads can be used! also all the ground work required whether done by pile driving or snaking round a large area! a slightly cheaper alternative is air source heat pumps but jus not quite as efficient!
Agreed- expensive capital but lower running costs, if you're staying where you are for a while is worth considering.

I am just doing my dissertation on GSHP technology and their incorporation into existing housing stock.. YAWN!!!
Old 17-12-2009, 07:02 PM
eddie_od
PassionFord Regular

+1

Fitted a few of the unvented cylinders and all of my customers have been very impressed.

Looked into the ground source and air source heat pumps aswell, still a bit pricey just now for me. Another few years before it'll really take off i reckon.

Last edited by eddie_od; 17-12-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 17-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

rodriguez concierto de aranjuez

You dont need to bang on about what papers you got mate. Im going on tests shown that generally with a condensing boiler, fitting TRV's to all rads reduces the efficiency of the condense. Fitting it to a 3rd is supposed to be more efficient. Tests, and what my plumbers go by. Obviously, everyone has their own methods
Old 17-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Rodreguez

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
rodriguez concierto de aranjuez

You dont need to bang on about what papers you got mate. Im going on tests shown that generally with a condensing boiler, fitting TRV's to all rads reduces the efficiency of the condense. Fitting it to a 3rd is supposed to be more efficient. Tests, and what my plumbers go by. Obviously, everyone has their own methods
im not banging on, so if this is true why do building regs state it is more efficient they obviously test every method! most condensing boilers modulate on a air gas ratio valve or zero governor n fan speed, to change the power output to keep the boiler condensing therefore increasing efficiency. granted the lower the return temp the better the efficiency the boiler cos an appropiate sized boiler will be needed to keep the boiler working hard to condense but the modulation improves this depending on required output. but also the harder the boiler works the qucker it will wear out so these maintenance costs should be taken into consideration
Old 17-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Rodreguez

Originally Posted by eddie_od
+1

Fitted a few of the unvented cylinders and all of my customers have been very impressed.

Looked into the ground source and air source heat pumps aswell, still a bit pricey just now for me. Another few years before it'll really take off i reckon.
yea they seem very impressive with figures bosting 400% efficiency for ground source heat pumps another is biomass dont know whether these will catch on! n obviously solar but england doesn't av the best climate but worth considering. aslo micro CHP's for domestic will be interesting to see if these get fitted!
Old 17-12-2009, 07:58 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do we know how many bathrooms this guy has yet????????????

As if he has 1 bathroom and 17 rads then there are combi's on the market that will run that system...........be it fucking exspensive but there are ones out there such as the Valiant 937
Old 17-12-2009, 08:11 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

we've got 6 rads in the rooms plus one in teh bath, and other than the one in the bath, they've all got these valves with numbers on the sides of them fitted to one side

so 17 rads mus be powering a mansion
Old 17-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Average 3 bed semi has 7 rads

3 beds
1 bathroom
1 kitchen
1 living room
1 hall way

My moms house (3bed semi- extended) has 9 and my house when the central heating is fitted will have 6 (2 bed semi)
Old 17-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

im not banging on, so if this is true why do building regs state it is more efficient they obviously test every method! most condensing boilers modulate on a air gas ratio valve or zero governor n fan speed, to change the power output to keep the boiler condensing therefore increasing efficiency. granted the lower the return temp the better the efficiency the boiler cos an appropiate sized boiler will be needed to keep the boiler working hard to condense but the modulation improves this depending on required output. but also the harder the boiler works the qucker it will wear out so these maintenance costs should be taken into consideration
Cant really remember where i read it tbh mate. Must have been some bumf from the FMB i get throught the door. Plus the plumber kinda uses this method too. Generally for example on a mod we do, on say a 4 bed extended semi with en suite, it will have TRV's on all rooms except en suite, bathroom and hallway for stat.
Old 18-12-2009, 10:05 AM
S1

Just had a recount, its defo 17 rads! It's a large four bed detached. Two en-suites, 1 family bathroom and a downstairs bog so four bathrooms in total. It's a late 70's build and seems to be well insulated compared to my old place, a fifties bungalow which never warmed up even when the heating was flat out.

If I dont go for a combi, what is the difference in the running costs. I want to save money but dont want to compromise on heating and hot water, of which we have plenty at present.
Old 18-12-2009, 12:14 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If thats the case you will want an Unvented system with a Megaflo......More expensive but well worth it. Mains pressure hot water
Old 18-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Steve the Plumber
The original Rouge Trader

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TIFF
If thats the case you will want an Unvented system with a Megaflo......More expensive but well worth it. Mains pressure hot water
I'll second with Tiff on that!
Old 18-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Rodreguez

Originally Posted by TIFF
+1

there r alternatives 2 a megaflo but they r defo the best, the santon is made by the same people (heatrae sadia) but is not a bubble top cylinder so come with an external expansion vessel

but also 2 remember any shower pumps or power showers will not be compatible with this system if already installed
Old 18-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by S1
Just had a recount, its defo 17 rads! It's a large four bed detached. Two en-suites, 1 family bathroom and a downstairs bog so four bathrooms in total. It's a late 70's build and seems to be well insulated compared to my old place, a fifties bungalow which never warmed up even when the heating was flat out.

If I dont go for a combi, what is the difference in the running costs. I want to save money but dont want to compromise on heating and hot water, of which we have plenty at present.
tbh it seemed rather a lot, but ive 14 in mine i just never counted before lol!