General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo Turbo Diesel Cambelt Cover + Weird Cam Follower failure.

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Isaac.Hunt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo Turbo Diesel Cambelt Cover + Weird Cam Follower failure.

Car: 1.8TD MK2 Mondeo (Endura-DE engine)

Slightly weird question but I tried to remove the cambelt cover on my car tonight, I found two clips at the top of the cover which were prised off and also two bolts at the bottom of the cover (access by removing a plastic wheel arch guard). As far as I can see there are no other fixings but I'll be damned if the cam cover will budge ... it seems to be caught up near the fuel pump - am I missing something obvious like another bolt or is it just being awkward?

It was fairly dark when I was doing this so it may just be down to me missing the obvious!

On another note, the reason I am removing the cambelt cover is to remove the belt and camshaft. A few nights ago whilst pulling off the driveway and at very low revs the engine spluttered, made a very strange noise and stopped. I tried turning the engine over to restart but the starter couldn't turn the engine.

On further inspection it would appear that one of the cam followers has failed in that the walls that form the "bucket" section of the follower where the shim is held have broken away, effectively making the follower flat topped and allowing the shim to float around the head - in this case right under one of the cam lobes, meaning the engine can't turn.

Seems somewhat of an unusual mechanical failure, has anyone ever experienced this before?

Many Thanks